logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bitnet  
#51 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 4:31:31 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Sugarman,

I actually found a few recipe books on kosher food. In fact, there are free kosher recipes on the Net if you are interested in cooking and are able. If you are unable to cook, just scout around for some chicken, beef or lamb dishes, and if it is seafood just avoid shellfish, rays and shark. Quite simple really. Unclean? Well, you run the risk of getting ill from eating unclean food. And if you continue with it then you are not doing your body any favours and may have to face the music when the wrath of Yahweh visits upon those who consume the flesh of swine... but there may be exceptions as in your case. Have you tried requesting for more kosher food? It has mainly to do with physical health rather than spiritual health, and in your condition you may need every advantage you can get. We do not know your limitations but we are sure that Yahweh does, and He is merciful and loving. Do take care of yourself.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#52 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 6:18:14 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
me and my fam have had no issues eating "safe" - we have not eaten piggies for about 2 years now, and dont miss it. In the UK, a food safety law states that the blood must be drained from an animal - so we dont have much of an issue really.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline shalom82  
#53 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 8:18:01 AM(UTC)
shalom82

As has been said about Torah on this forum many many times...Torah is halakha...the way one walks. Torah is a path. It's a safe, Yah tested road that will get you to where you need to be both in practical and spiritual application. It's a good road, it doesn't have potholes and other deficiencies. The road is useful and good. If we trust Yahuweh we will use it rather than trying to hack out our own path out of the wilderness....or take another highway that goes in the opposite direction. We will strive to stay on that one way highway of Yahuweh's, Torah. If we stray off the path of righteousness...we get back on plain and simple. The greatest asset of this way called Torah...is...that by it...we know we are going the right way.

YHWH Imakhem

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline gammafighter  
#54 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 8:53:06 AM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Quote:
Sugarman wrote:
so am I unclearn because I have to eat ham or pork?

Nonononono! I would say no! First, if someone chooses your food for you, and you tell them that you believe you shouldn't be eating pork, they should respect that and find other things for you to eat. But if you try that and have no choice but to eat what they give you, I really don't think you are responsible. Yahweh doesn't care about what we eat in and of itself. He cares about what we eat because He cares about us. If someone had a gun to my head and said "eat this bacon or i'll shoot you" I would eat the bacon and i think Yahweh would be pleased because He cares more about me than what I eat (now if it were "deny Yahushua and Yahweh or i'll shoot you" i might choose death, but that's just me).
See, the Torah- every part of it- is meant for our wellbeing. If we die JUST to keep the Torah, I think we died in vain.

All that being said, I don't know your situation perfectly, but if you are basically being forced to eat pig, I don't think you are breaking the Torah. However, if I were in your position, I would try my best to get clean food to eat.
Offline kp  
#55 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 9:26:11 AM(UTC)
kp

I would concur, gammafighter. Most (if not all) of the precepts in the Torah are symbolic of some greater truth, no matter how much practical value they afford us. The dietary laws are no exception. The basic lesson is this: "As you should be discerning about the things you put into your body--being aware of what's clean and unclean---nutritious, worthless, or toxic---you should also be discerning about what your soul assimilates: what kind of activities occupy your time? Are they good and wholesome, pointless and empty, or downright bad for you? Are they "lambchops" or "porkchops?"

kp
Offline Mike_Browell  
#56 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 10:05:03 AM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

Daddy Yahweh's Love Everyone,

I saw an almost identical argument for the more symbolic meaning for the food laws. While I more agree with you that the practical meaning is important and true, too. Kosher food laws?

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell
Offline sugarman  
#57 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 2:53:20 PM(UTC)
sugarman

bitnet wrote:
Sugarman,

I actually found a few recipe books on kosher food. In fact, there are free kosher recipes on the Net if you are interested in cooking and are able. If you are unable to cook, just scout around for some chicken, beef or lamb dishes, and if it is seafood just avoid shellfish, rays and shark. Quite simple really. Unclean? Well, you run the risk of getting ill from eating unclean food. And if you continue with it then you are not doing your body any favours and may have to face the music when the wrath of Yahweh visits upon those who consume the flesh of swine... but there may be exceptions as in your case. Have you tried requesting for more kosher food? It has mainly to do with physical health rather than spiritual health, and in your condition you may need every advantage you can get. We do not know your limitations but we are sure that Yahweh does, and He is merciful and loving. Do take care of yourself.

Well, you run the risk of getting ill from eating unclean food. And if you continue with it then you are not doing your body any favours and may have to face the music when the wrath of Yahweh visits upon those who consume the flesh of swine...

what do you mean by this? eating swine risk my salvation and put Yah wraith on me?

just little confuse because shalom82 said if we had to keep Torah for salvation we be in deep do do
Offline shalom82  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:26:07 AM(UTC)
shalom82

And I stand by that sugarman. More than half of the Torah cannot be done in a practical manner anymore...but in a future time will be reinstated fully and completely. The Torah points to a greater spiritual truth...the Messiah and His purpose before it does anything else. In the Torah everything has deeper meaning. Having said that it does not mean that Torah should not be applied practically. Let's look at one example.

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the YHWH your God gives you. Shemoth/Exodus 20:12

In the spiritual sense this is telling us to honor Yahuweh. (all of Yahuweh), and that if we see YHWH as our Father and our Mother (through the Ruach) then we will be His children and our days will be prolonged, because we are born of the Spirit...indeed prolonged throughout all eternity.

Does that mean that we can tell our physical parents to buzz off? By no means!!! and not according to Yahushua. Yahuweh gives us all temporal relationships to understand how He views us and how we are to view him. He gives us Fathers and Mothers because He wants us to understand the love He feels for us and the love that we should have for Him....barring all human deficiency. We are to honor our father and mothers kinda as a trial run...a dress rehearsal for what will be. Does that mean that fathers and mothers here on earth are perfect and always or even usually do the will of the Father in heaven? No, they do not. But as much as we can (when they are in accord with the authority given to them by the Father and with the designs set forth in the Word) we are to honor them.

The fact that Torah is not perfectly keepable does not make it a flawed document or obsolete. It just illustrates once again how flawed we are and how much need we have for Messiah. But since we have Messiah are we to abandon Torah as a standard wholesale and rely on Grace?

Ex: A gangbanger...let's say part of a Hispanic Gang...I use Hispanics only because they are predominantly Catholics...decides he is going to kill some guy because he thinks he's a member of a rival gang. He kills the poor guy...and then walks back to his car asking for forgiveness from g o d doing some hail marys, and does the sign of the cross. As he gets in his car he knows there is a distinct possibility that he will do this very same act again, ask for the same forgiveness and go on sinning. Yahushua is of no profit to him. I can almost assure you this gang member is not saved. Cheap Grace at it's worst

Grace that comes from Messiah Yahushua's Passover offering. That and that alone is what saves. The Torah comes into effect after that dispensation of grace and not before it. Much of the letters that Shaul/Paul wrote to the congregations have to do with this very thing. This is not a precedent that started with the renewed covenant. Yahuweh redeemed Israel out of Mitzrayim/Egypt with a Strong Hand not because they were worthy or righteous...he did it because He beyond all others knew there was a need. He redeemed them from bondage unconditionally. As Torah is thought of traditionally starting at Exodus/Shemoth...there was no such thing. They partook of Messiah in the Eating of Passover and were saved without condition. Only after was the Torah delivered to them as a righteous standard of how they should walk before YHWH. The Torah is a wonderful path to walk on, a great guideline, our surety that we are either walking in the right way or the wrong way. It is instruction in righteousness...but before all these things it is the promise and exhortation of the need of a Messiah.

Should we forsake Torah as our righteous standard? I would say, never. Should we heed the precepts and the instruction it gives? Of course. Is it given to us by a Perfect Creator who knows us infinitely more than we know ourselves? Yes.

Here is a quote from a post that was made by Ruchamah (Yahuweh Bless her and I hope she is well)
Quote:
If you want to get somewhere, and u have a route lined out for yourself, but miss one of the turns, well, your trip-time is going to be lengthened, not because u were EVIL, but because u missed the correct turn. I think it is more like that: The Torah is given to us to show us how to live uprightly before Him, how to do it successfully and how to bring blessing to the world He has given us.

Sin, is kinda like taking the wrong turn: the only way to fix it is to RE-TURN back to where we made the error (repentence) and start again. Will we make wrong turns? You bet we will, but the option of re-turning is always available to us, re-turning and getting it right.

Zacharias and Elizabeth were considered righteous in all His commandments etc. Did they NEVER make a wrong turn? I am sure they made a few, just like you and I, but they lived it out BY FAITH. Only faith in Him makes ANYONE righteous, from Adam to today. But that faith is walked out and demonstrated in our obedience to the *map* He has given us.

As it pertains to Zach and Lizzy, they were considered righteous over the long haul on the scale of striving to keep the commandments and understanding the purposes (spiritual and practical) of the commandments. They didn't walk perfectly but overall their consistently faithful walk showed an inward condition of inherent righteousness not earned by keeping the Torah...but rather Torah as evidence.
A murderer is is not a man who has committed murder, a thief is not a man who has stolen, and an adulterer is not a man who has committed adultery. In all cases it is the person who is in a continual state of the sin. One who has the spirit of that sin in them, who may even perhaps revel in that sin and will not repent but lives in the darkness. Do we consider Moshe and Dawid murderers? They committed murder to be sure. But when you think of them...is that the first thing you think of?

We can't abide by all of the Torah, at least to the letter and literal practice, but even those that we can't physically observe still are "observed" in a spiritual sense and have relevance to the overall message. It is still the path that we walk to get to the narrow gate and we do stray from the path..all of us, but that path is still there to come back to.

Once again, Yahuweh redeemed Israel out of Egypt as a freewill offering given graciously from his heart. THEN he gave them as a collective body the Torah at Sinai on Pentecost.

Robski said something one time that really hit home. I'm afraid I'll have to paraphrase it. Without Messiah, the Torah means nothing, but because I have Messiah, the Torah means everything. The old mantra that one observes Torah because he/she is saved not to be saved has become quite a cliche in some circles. But there is a tangible deeper meaning to this bumper sticker, something I cannot put into words at least not as well as I would like to. I trusted the Word to get me out of the mess that was caused by sin. Why would I not trust the Word after that redeeming. No one keeps Torah in this day and age. It can't be done. Can we live guided by Torah and abide in it's deeper spiritual truth. Yes. Just because there is no daily offering at the temple does not mean we should throw out everything. There is also a precedent for that. It is Israel in exile. The book of Daniel comes to mind.

In conclusion, a paraphrase from Moshe Koniuchowsky:
The Torah of Moshe Yahuweh’s servant will keep you on the straight and narrow path. Is the Torah of any use for the unsaved? Is it any good for the unsaved? No, it’s a waste of time. But for the saved it keeps us on the path. It keeps us from doing Christmas instead of the Moedim, it keeps us from swinging chickens around our heads because it points to Messiah. Remembering, loving, and observing the Torah is good and proper as long as your priorities are straight and proper.

Yevarekhekha YHWH (May Yahuweh bless you)

Shalom
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:44:48 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Very nicely put Shalom82 :) Echo's my heart very well.

I would just like to highlight the fact again. "The Law" never saved anyone, pre-Messiah or post. Its roll has never changed, there is a large list in leviticus telling you what blessing you recieve from following what Yah says - not one of them is salvation.

Salvation has always been a side-effect of relationship. Paul was right, if you follow "The Law" to be saved, you arnt, because thats not its purpose. Its purpose is to release blessing, aid relationship and paint the picture. Its a gift that should be rejoyced over, not thrown out as it is so oftern.

(I say "The Law" in speach marks because I hate calling it that, precepts is a better way of describing them)

again, very nicely put Shalom :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline shalom82  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:52:10 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Robski,
You said in a couple short paragraphs what I couldn't say in a page. Very very well said...and how true.

Quote:
"The Law" never saved anyone, pre-Messiah or post. Its roll has never changed, there is a large list in leviticus telling you what blessing you recieve from following what Yah says - not one of them is salvation.

YHWH imakhem (Yahuweh be with you)

Shalom
Offline Truth Seeker  
#61 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:06:39 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

Regarding Torah-observance.....we observe the Sabbath as the 7th day.No work or spending money.We dedicate time to reading the Scriptures and prayer.
We follow the food laws.No pork,shrimp etc... for 4 years now.Don't miss it.Well....maybe I miss shrimp a little bit,but I can do without it easy enough.
My wife and I observe the Biblical feasts.
We use the Names,particularly in prayer.

I agree with the sentiment that following Torah doesn't equal salvation.I have been blessed by following Torah though.
Offline bitnet  
#62 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 12:47:49 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Truth Seeker,

Good to have you with us! While many of us have understood Scripture, not many of us can obey all that is written. Sometimes it takes a little time to get oneself in order to walk in the Way. That is us being human. But it should not be an excuse for all time. So when I read that there are new believers who keep the commandments, I rejoice because it shows that it can be kept and that His Word about it being a light burden is absolutely true! And that it shames those who profess "being born again" without the need of "obedience to the Law" because "it cannot be kept" and that "JC died and made it all null and void for us."

We are all fallible and that is why we need to follow our Messiyah Yahushua and stay close to Him like a shadow, hugging Him all the way. Sometimes we drag a sinful security blanket but we must be prepared to shed it or it will snag and pull us away from Him. I have been guilty of that with regards to His weekly and annual Sabbaths, but now I want to walk closer with Him together with other believers. This platform here is liberating, and the Truth shall draw us together. We shall learn to offer ourselves as burnt offerings, and let the Ruach Qodesh lead us and guard us in Truth in the place of tzit-tzit and mezuzah. We shall let His Sabbaths bring us a renewed zest and vigour for the Salvation that He has promised for those who seek Him and who want to obey Him, and let our love for Him and each other bring light to the rest of the world.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline shalom82  
#63 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:36:15 AM(UTC)
shalom82

A farmer told his son to go out and do the chores (feed the animals) one evening. There were draft horses, cattle, ducks, chickens, goats and a few sheep. The son came in from the barn and the father asked how everything was. The son replied"...I couldn't feed the animals."The farmer asked his son why not. The son then replied, "The chickens were gone."

Adapted from eliyah.com

YHWH Immakhem

Shalom
Offline kleeb  
#64 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:15:50 AM(UTC)
kleeb

In Acts 10, beginning at verse 9, Peter has a vision. Somethin like a sheet is let down from heaven. On it are four footed animals. as well as reptiles, (are'nt reptiles unclean?) and birds. A voice said GET UP PETER, KILL AND EAT. He replied, no, I have never eaten anything impure or unclean. The voice replied, DO NOT CALL ANYTHING IMPURE THAT GOD HAS MADE CLEAN.
Does this mean that Yahweh has made some or all unclean animals clean? Peter did not understand what this vision meant. Does anyone know if this vision was ever explained in schripture? Lee
Offline kleeb  
#65 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:45:54 PM(UTC)
kleeb

After my post I did read on and saw that Peter finally understood it. I on the other hand don't completely get it. Because if Yahweh didn't make some or all unclean animals clean, then how could Peter make the connection to unclean gentiles. Or to something that was only thought to be unclean(gentiles) but wasn't. Lee
Offline shalom82  
#66 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:05:37 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Quote:
Acts confirms among other things that while Yahushua was on earth he in no way taught that the dietary prohibitions were relegated to the dustbin. Kepha by his own admission was still very much a scriptural gourmand at the time of His revelation on the roof at Yapho. Once again this is not so much about what you eat as it is who you eat with. Kepha was still practicing a cultural snobbishness that was a keystone of Mishna Torah. The reason that all sorts of unclean animals were on the sheet is because Gentiles were known to the Yahudim as contemptible creatures...such as dogs and eagles..for example.
Offline Matthew  
#67 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 9:02:36 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Acts 10:1-2 "Now there was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a captain of what was called the Italian Regiment, dedicated, and fearing Elohim with all his household, doing many deeds to the people, and praying to Elohim always."

Acts 10:15 "And a voice came to him (Kepha) again the second time, "What Elohim has cleansed you do not consider common.""

Acts 10:28 "And he (Kepha) said to them, "You know that a Yahudite man is not allowed to associate with, or go to one of another race. But Elohim has shown me that I must not call any man common or unclean.""

Acts 10:34-35 "And opening his mouth, Kepha said, "Truly I see that Elohim shows no partiality, but in every nation, he who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.""

Acts 10:43-44 ""To this One all the prophets bear witness, that through His Name, everyone believing in Him does receive forgiveness of sins." While Kepha was still speaking these words, the Set-Apart Spirit fell upon all those hearing the word."

I've just highlight a few verses from Acts 10. From my understanding because Cornelius loved Elohim, he was made clean by Yahuweh. All believers are clean because we have been cleansed by the work of the Messiyah, noted by verse 15.

However, I do struggle with two points:

1) In my understanding unbelievers are still considered unclean, but in verse 28 Kepha mentions that Elohim says he must not call any man common of unclean. Does this mean all humans are considered clean, regardless of salvation status? If this were so then the story is more to do with the gift of salvation being for all people, if they accept it. Meaning that Jews can associate with Gentiles, which would tie up nicely in this chapter.

2) If a person is only considered clean after repenting, then when is the Spirit received, after repenting or after another separate prayer. For example, what would have happened if a Disciple died after the Messiyah's ascension but before the receiving of the Spirit? I have believed that those who possess the Spirit, born from above, are the ones who have eternal life. Peter goes on to mention Yohannan the Immerser, and in Luke 1:15 a messenger mentions that "he shall be filled with the Set-Apart Spirit, even from his mother's womb," so did Yohannan require repentance or was he saved already at conception? Did those before the Messiyah walked on the earth receive the Spirit, because I recall Dawid praying in Psalm 51:11 "Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take Your Set-Apart Spirit from me." From this I gather Yohannan the Immerser would have required to maintain his relationship with Yahuweh, obviously a mishap here or mishap there wouldn't have mattered as one would need to completely turn ones back and be given over to the evil one to not have salvation. I recall Yada starting a thread, of which I cannot find, concerning the the role of the Spirit in the Old Covenant. What makes the Old different from the Renewed Covenant in terms of the Spirit?

It seems like Cornelius was considered clean before the outpouring of the Spirit in verse 44.

And why is it mentioned twice in the chapter that Cornelius was praying at three in the afternoon?

Concerning foods: unclean animals and certain sea-life aren't declared as food in Scripture, therefore when some versions of Scripture have in brackets in Mark 7:20 "(In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean")" doesn't mean that suddenly pork, rat, dog, etc. have gained a position on the menu. All foods, such as sheep, beef, goat, ostrich, etc. have been cleansed by the Word. Yahuweh says they are clean and can be eaten, unless of course it died of natural causes or bitten by another animal. Mark 7 is regarding the heart, so why did a person decide to ignore the Word and eat a ham sandwich, what wicked thought made the person decide not to heed His Word, to become unclean in other words. It's not about the food but about the decisions of the heart.

:)
Offline kleeb  
#68 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 6:03:55 PM(UTC)
kleeb

I just read something that again seems to say that Yahweh has made all foods clean. It is from Timothy 4:2-5. "They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."
I am honestly not looking for an excuse to eat anything I want. I am only searching for the truth. Lee
Offline shalom82  
#69 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 9:04:13 PM(UTC)
shalom82

We have to ask what are these certain foods which Elohim YHWH had created to be recieved with Thanksgiving. We also have to ask who were these groups that were forbidding marriage and espousing manmade prohibitions on diet. What is a creature of YHWH?
Offline kp  
#70 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:15:12 AM(UTC)
kp

Kleeb, the answer to the apparent connundrum is quite simple: The Torah's dietary laws defined what is food and what is not. Cows and sheep are food, pigs and camels are not. You wouldn't be advised to eat dirt (even with thanksgiving), just because God made it: it's not food. Paul is advising young Timothy not to fall into the trap of religious abstinence, such as the Catholics' centuries-long prohibition against eating meat on Fridays, or their rule that their priests must not marry. These are man-made rules that obfuscate the will of God. Paul advises us to ignore them, and to pay heed only to what Yahweh actually instructed.

kp
Offline kleeb  
#71 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:53:20 PM(UTC)
kleeb

Thanks KP, I think you have answered my connundrum. I am actually dissapointed when I read something that says that I can eat anything and not follow the origonal laws of our Father. Perhaps I am envious of jews because they appear to have a more personal covenant with the Father. It is something that I will have to work out. Don't worry my brothers, I will work it out. Peace be with you all. Lee