logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:35:24 PM(UTC)
Yada

As I was trying to run down some additional information about the origin of the "Pascal Candle," I came across a reference to this book - "Pagan Christianity? Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices"
By Frank Viola and George Barna. Here are a couple of excerpts from an online review of the book by Carl McColman, a Catholic apologist.

Quote:
For years now, Neopagans have been joking (and griping) about how Christianity often appears as little more than a pagan ripoff. To find support for this claim, one need look no further than the marked similarity between many Catholic saints and pre-Christian deities (such as the Celtic goddess Brigit and her Irish namesake, St. Brigid) or indeed the uncanny correlation between the liturgical year and ancient pagan holidays (for example, Christmas corresponds with the Roman Saturnalia; Candlemas and All Saints with the Gaelic festivals of Imbolc and Samhain, etc.).

Later in the review, Mr. McColman writes:

Quote:
By contrast, consider this definition of “paganism” as found in A Catholic Dictionary:

In paganism … the Church has always recognized the existence of natural goodness and truth, the seeds of which the Fathers declare are to be found everywhere. All that is wise and true in the philosophies of antiquity, of Plato, of Plotinus, especially of Aristotle, has been incorporated into the Catholic system; all that is good and beautiful in their literature, arts and culture, whether of Hellas or Honolulu, is welcome to the Catholic mind.

For Catholics, just because something has its roots in paganism — or any other non-Christian tradition — does not make it wrong. Something is only wrong when it fails to be wise and true or good and beautiful.

Here's the line that really stunned me, "For Catholics, just because something has its roots in paganism — or any other non-Christian tradition — does not make it wrong. Something is only wrong when it fails to be wise and true or good and beautiful."

Wow.

The complete review is here.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:09:56 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
oh dear...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Yada  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:26:07 PM(UTC)
Yada

For a chuckle (or a good cry), check out this list of "Christian Symbols" from another Catholic site called, "Fish Eaters."

Here's one example - the description for the photo below reads:

Quote:
Lamb: symbol of Christ as the Paschal Lamb and also a symbol for Christians (as Christ is our Shepherd and Peter was told to feed His sheep). The lamb is also a symbol for St. Agnes (Feast Day 21 January), virgin martyr of the early Church.

Again, quoting from my initial post: "For Catholics, just because something has its roots in paganism — or any other non-Christian tradition — does not make it wrong. Something is only wrong when it fails to be wise and true or good and beautiful."

So by this reasoning, I guess this image is "wise, true, good, and beautiful." (I wonder how this lamb is able to balance himself on three legs, holding whatever it is he's holding. lol)

The complete list is here.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:58:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yada attached the following image(s):
LAMB.gif
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:19:50 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Actually it was this revelation that changed my outlook on Catholicism 20 years ago. When I discovered that much of Catholicism was mired in pagan practices that were clearly against Scripture, I looked elsewhere. Over time, I learnt that a lot of what was practised was still in error but could not find Truth in my environment. I did not trust Christianity in general but wanted to move closer with Scripture. When I was given the link to YY I found what I was looking for... an absence of churchianity and a return to Truth. I pondered how to get in closer with believers and sought for believers around me. My wife still believed that I was on the right track despite not finding a "church." She was confident that her prayer to The Creator would lead us to Him, and we count our experiences as part of life and have grown together. "Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be answered..." That really holds true. Many Christians will also refer to this verse in their testimonies. But they will stumble because they gave their allegiance to the bearers of the symbols, instead of to the Word. May those who seek The Creator in earnest find courage to break free of their spiritual bondage!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.