logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:21:33 PM(UTC)
Yada

I found this online from The Catholic Resource Education Center. Note the repeated use of words/phrases like: "nobody knows the origins," "tradition," "good tradition," "a tradition is that...," "adapted," etc.

Quote:
The History of the Advent Wreath
FR. WILLIAM SAUNDERS[

A Baptist friend asked me about the Advent wreath — its history, meaning, etc.. I think I gave her a pretty good answer. Perhaps you could provide a little more information.

The Advent wreath is part of our long-standing Catholic tradition. However, the actual origins are uncertain. There is evidence of pre-Christian Germanic peoples using wreathes with lit candles during the cold and dark December days as a sign of hope in the future warm and extended-sunlight days of Spring. In Scandinavia during Winter, lighted candles were placed around a wheel, and prayers were offered to the god of light to turn “the wheel of the earth” back toward the sun to lengthen the days and restore warmth.

By the Middle Ages, the Christians adapted this tradition and used Advent wreathes as part of their spiritual preparation for Christmas. After all, Christ is “the Light that came into the world” to dispel the darkness of sin and to radiate the truth and love of God (cf. John 3:19-21). By 1600, both Catholics and Lutherans had more formal practices surrounding the Advent wreath.

The symbolism of the Advent wreath is beautiful. The wreath is made of various evergreens, signifying continuous life. Even these evergreens have a traditional meaning which can be adapted to our faith: The laurel signifies victory over persecution and suffering; pine, holly, and yew, immortality; and cedar, strength and healing. Holly also has a special Christian symbolism: The prickly leaves remind us of the crown of thorns, and one English legend tells of how the cross was made of holly. The circle of the wreath, which has no beginning or end, symbolizes the eternity of God, the immortality of the soul, and the everlasting life found in Christ. Any pine cones, nuts, or seedpods used to decorate the wreath also symbolize life and resurrection. All together, the wreath of evergreens depicts the immortality of our soul and the new, everlasting life promised to us through Christ, the eternal Word of the Father, who entered our world becoming true man and who was victorious over sin and death through His own passion, death, and resurrection.

The four candles represent the four weeks of Advent. A tradition is that...

Does anyone know anything else about Advent , the use of candles or its other customs. Speaking of candles, I have been trying to run down some information about the large candle that is placed next to Catholic altars. It's replete with various markings - does anyone know what the RCC calls this particular candle?

More on the use of candles from The Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:
Altar Candles

For mystical reasons the Church prescribes that the candles used at Mass and at other liturgical functions be made of beeswax (luminaria cerea. -- Missale Rom., De Defectibus, X, I; Cong. Sac. Rites, 4 September, 1875). The pure wax extracted by bees from flowers symbolizes the pure flesh of Christ received from His Virgin Mother, the wick signifies the soul of Christ, and the flame represents His divinity. Although the two latter properties are found in all kinds of candles, the first is proper of beeswax candles only.

The full article about "The History of the Advent Wreath" is here.
Yada attached the following image(s):
Advent-wreath.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:05:37 PM(UTC)
Yada

More on the use of candles in Catholic worship, again right from the Catholic Encyclopedia. I've underlined the parts I found particularly noteworthy.

Quote:
Candles

The word candle (candela, from candeo, to burn) was introduced into the English language as an ecclesiastical term, probably as early as the eighth century. It was known in classical times and dennoted any kind of taper in which a wick, not uncommonly made of a strip of papyrus, was encased in wax or animal fat. We need not shrink from admitting that candles, like incense and lustral water, were commonly employed in pagan worship and in the rites paid to the dead. But the Church from a very early period took them into her service, just as she adopted many other things indifferent in themselves, which seemed proper to enhance the splendour of religious ceremonial. We must not forget that most of these adjuncts to worship, like music, lights, perfumes, ablutions, floral decorations, canopies, fans, screens, bells, vestments, etc. were not identified with any idolatrous cult in particular; they were common to almost all cults. They are, in fact, part of the natural language of mystical expression, and such things belong quite as much to secular ceremonial as they do to religion. The salute of an assigned number of guns, a tribute which is paid by a warship to the flag of a foreign power, is just as much or as little worthy to be described as superstitious as the display of an assigned number of candles upon the altar at high Mass. The carrying of tapers figures among the marks of respect prescribed to be shown to the highest dignitaries of the Roman Empire in the "Notitia Dignitatum Imperii". It is highly probable that the candles which were borne from a very early period before the pope or the bishop when he went in procession to the sanctuary, or which attended the transport of the book of the Gospels to the ambo or pulpit from which the deacon read, were nothing more than an adaptation of this secular practice.

The use of a multitude of candles and lamps was undoubtedly a prominent feature of the celebration of the Easter vigil, dating, we may believe, almost from Apostolic times. Eusebius (Vita Constant., IV, xxii) speaks of the "pillars of wax" with which Constantine transformed night into day, and Prudentius and other authors have left eloquent descriptions of the brilliance withing the churches...

As I was searching the Web, I ran across this from a "Wiccan" site:

Quote:
Altar Candles and Candle Holders

Goldentree Wands offers a wide variety of styles and colors to choose from for your altar candles. While we do not created these altar candles by hand, we have hand-selected these candles holders for these altar candles.

Altar candles are used for a variety of purposes. Colored altar candles, such as the 4" x 1/2" candles listed to the right, can be used for candle magic or for representing the God or Goddess in a ritual, or an offering to the element of fire. Other types of altar candles, such as our scented Nag Champa altar candles, can lend their own peaceful energy to a ritual or spell.

Yikes!

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:35:34 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I searched this out on Wiki knowing that it is the Paschal Candle (having been an altar boy ages ago)...

The big candle is the Paschal candle is a large, white candle used liturgically in the Western Rite of Christianity (Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, etc.). A new Paschal candle is blessed and lit every year at Easter, and is used throughout the Paschal season and then throughout the year on special occasions, such as baptisms and funerals.

For congregations that use a Paschal candle, it is the largest candle in the worship space. In most cases today, the candle will display several common symbols:

1. The cross is always the central symbol, most clearly identifying it as the Paschal candle
2. The Greek letters alpha and omega signify that God is the beginning and the end (taken from the Book of Revelation)
3. The current year represents God's presence here and now in the midst of the gathered worshipers
4. Five grains of incense (most often red) are embedded in the candle (sometimes encased in wax "nails") during the Easter Vigil to represent the five wounds of Jesus: one in each hand, one in each foot, and the spear thrust into his side.

In the medieval church Paschal candles often reached a stupendous size. The Paschal candle of Salisbury Cathedral was said to have been 36 feet tall. Most commonly today, the candle is approximately 2 inches in diameter and 27 to 39 inches tall.

The candle remains lit at all worship services throughout Easter season (or in some traditions until Ascension Day), during which time it is located in the sanctuary close to the altar. After the Easter season, it is frequently placed near the baptismal font.

The Paschal candle is also lit during services that include the sacrament of baptism to signify the Spirit and fire that John the Baptist promised to those who were baptized in Christ. During the sacrament of baptism in many traditions, a small candle will be lit and presented to the newly-baptized by a member of the community with words similar to, "Let your light so shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

The Paschal candle is often lit and placed near the casket (or remains) for worship services surrounding the death of a believer (funeral, Mass of Repose, and Mass of Requiem) as a sign of the hope of the resurrection into which Christians are baptized.

More info can be found at http://candlecarving.googlepages.com/meaning.

Perhaps one of the most disturbing thing about many Catholic practices is that of adoption of pagan rituals in the service and adoration of The Creator, something that He frowned upon and waxed hot when His people did the same in the Sinai wilderness. It's not just whom you worship, but whether you are obedient to whom you declare to be your highest authority. You simply cannot say, "I shall come to God on my own terms," as this makes you higher than Him.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yada  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:58:55 PM(UTC)
Yada

As I try to run down more specific information about the "Pascal Candle," I came across this interesting photo. The caption reads:

Quote:
Fr. Mark Lillegard is inserting the nails and incense into the Pascal Candle representing the five wounds of Christ. Fr. W. Scott Herb, Deacon of the Mass holds the candle.

Any pagan elements here? Of course not.

source
Yada attached the following image(s):
pascal candle five_wounds.jpg
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:07:32 AM(UTC)
Yada

Speaking of Pascal candles, here's an interesting reference to St. Patrick I came across:

Quote:
Slane by Douglas Wagner

This tune is of Irish folk origin. It is named for a hill about ten miles from Tara hill in County Meath. It is on Slane hill, according to an account in the "Confessions of St. Patrick" that the Irish saint defied the command of the pagan king Loigaire by lighting the Pascal candle on Easter Eve. St. Patrick's act was done in defiance of the king's edict that no fire could be ignited before the royal fire was lit by the king's hand on Tara hill. The royal fire was kindled to celebrate the pagan Spring festival and symbolized the return of light and change of season following the darkness of winter.

Some act of defiance, looks to me like he just got the jump on the lighting of the thing by the Pagan King. Big deal.

You can watch an interesting short video about The History of St. Patrick's Day here.

Edited by user Friday, June 20, 2008 8:00:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified