logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NS  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:12:10 AM(UTC)
NS

I'm confused with the genealogy of King David, because I noticed in his line he has Ruth who is a Moabite. I thought the blood line had to be exclusively Israelite?
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:51:33 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

NS wrote:
I'm confused with the genealogy of King David, because I noticed in his line he has Ruth who is a Moabite. I thought the blood line had to be exclusively Israelite?

NS, what is your source for concluding David must be exclusively of natural born Israelites? My reason for asking is that Ruth while born a Moabite became a Yahudi when she married Boaz as kinsman redeemer.
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:02:47 AM(UTC)
kp

NS, the rabbinical take on the Torah places the onus on Moabite males. They goofed up the picture, of course, but maybe they're right on that one small point, since Yahweh's symbolic assigned role for women is to be under the protection of their fathers or husbands (because the ekklesia---as the bride of Christ---is under Yahshua's care and provision, as Israel is of Yahweh). I wrote in TOM...

Quote:
(66) Maimonides said: An Ammonite or Moabite shall never marry the daughter of an Israelite. “An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter the assembly of Yahweh; even to the tenth generation none of his descendants shall enter the assembly of Yahweh forever, because they did not meet you with bread and water on the road when you came out of Egypt, and because they hired against you Balaam the son of Beor from Pethor of Mesopotamia, to curse you. Nevertheless Yahweh your God would not listen to Balaam, but Yahweh your God turned the curse into a blessing for you, because Yahweh your God loves you. You shall not seek their peace nor their prosperity all your days forever.” (Deuteronomy 23:3-6) Once again, we see the rabbis equating “entering the assembly of Yahweh” with marriage to a Jew. If it wasn’t clear before, it should be now: marriage has next to nothing to do with what He was really trying to help us understand. Here, I believe, the metaphor is a warning against compromise and accommodation with unbelievers—even if they’re our neighbors or relatives—if those unbelievers are actively attempting to lead us astray.

Moab and Ammon (bordering Israel’s Promised Land on the east) were the descendants of Lot, Abraham’s nephew. But by the time of the exodus, they had become so thoroughly pagan that their hostility to Yahweh’s people was guaranteed. The “Balaam episode” (Numbers 22-25) became the universal Biblical metaphor for false teaching leading to destruction (cf. Revelation 2:14). So here God tells His people not to have anything to do with them—do not allow their religion, their culture, their political presence, their commerce, and yes, even their bloodline, to have any part in the life of Israel—ever. (In an ironic twist that proves that the underlying symbol outweighs the plain reading of the mitzvah, Yahweh arranged for a godly Moabite woman, Ruth, to show up in the Messiah’s family tree—she was the great grandmother of King David. In Ruth’s case, of course, it was clear that she had turned her back on Moab and its gods in favor of Israel and Yahweh—Ruth 1:16) God’s instruction is to maintain our holiness, our separation from the world’s influence. As usual, Yahweh’s clear intention goes far beyond the face value of the mitzvah.

One gets the idea that if it had been the other way around, if Ruth had been the Israelite and Boaz the Moabite by birth, Messiah's lineage would have been impossible this way, according to the Torah. I think Yahweh's trying to teach us that it doesn't matter who our parents were, or what they believed: we make our own choices in this life---and Ruth chose wisely.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:21:11 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Strange as it is, I was pondering about why the Yahudim traced their lineage via the womenfolk and here it pops up! To able to repatriate to Israel today, you need to prove your maternal lineage. It is evident that it is because the women, as mothers, are responsible for care and upbringing and that is why we refer to the mother-tongue instead of father-tongue. Children spend more time with their mothers who would care, communicate and teach more than typical human fathers (not accusing anyone or being a sexist bigot here). Ruth came into the lineage by virtue of her faith, and this gives us all hope.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yahshuaslavejeff  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:25:39 PM(UTC)
Yahshuaslavejeff

How old were sons before they went out with their fathers ?
As it is in todays you ess aye, society being evil and stupid and death-dealing, children are removed from the presence of father AND mother as early as possible without making it look like it. pre-school, xxxday school, 'childrens' crutch (church), k-12, day-care, etc are all abominably wicked. And who has a choice ? (hint: Yahweh's Chosen)