logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kleeb  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:02:28 PM(UTC)
kleeb

Want to see something obscene? Take a look at this. http://www.ticketspot.com/Resul...89&event=Joel+Osteen
Just think how much Yahushua could have gotten selling tickets for his sermon on the mount. Lee

Edited by user Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:14:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:04:06 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Aaaah... the joys of mammon... What say we get Yada and KP to do a presentation and charge an arm and a leg and say that it all goes to charity? And charity begins at home... ;-) NOT!

That was one of the reasons that I chose not to follow many denominations as their pastors and ministers seem overly eager to sell what they should have received freely. I can imagine the poor and destitute who cannot afford a ticket... are they condemned to "eternity in hell" for being unable to listen to the word of god because they cannot afford a ticket? I am also recalling some sermons by some preachers who say that people remain poor because they do not follow the bible and believe and act on the good news and receive the blessings god promises! This prosperity gospel brings doom even faster than you can say "I do" to a platinum credit card. If there are expenses incurred in dispensing the Word, I am sure that He shall provide without taxing those in need of hearing the Word. Shame on these conniving false prophets!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:31:56 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think I might have heard him once, and I do remember reading something about him awhile ago, so someone can correct me if I am wrong. Joel Osteen is the guy that you always see with a smile, but its a creepy smile. He looks like he is planning to steal your soul. And that very well may be. He is a motivational type preacher, and really is more like a self help guru who only touches on scripture a little. He does not preach about salvation, but rather feel good topics about how to live life better (really no different than most other pastors today).
Quote:
Osteen says that he chooses to focus on the goodness of God rather than sin. In answer to questions raised over why he does not include many Bible verses in his books, he says that he sees himself as more of a life coach. Osteen explains that he tries to teach Biblical principles in a simple way, emphasizing the power of love and a positive attitude.

You can read wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Osteen
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:36:08 AM(UTC)
kp

A "life coach," eh? I thought that's what we had Moses for. I've found that the Torah, on one level or another, tells us pretty much all we need to know about living successful lives. Interestingly enough, I find myself at this moment writing a chapter on "Giving" in TOM II. Here's a provocative question to ponder while I'm working on it: "Why does Yahweh, the Creator God who owns the whole universe and subsequently needs nothing, instruct us to give Him stuff---tithes, offerings, sacrifices, and so forth?"

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:28:51 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well I have seen some stuff on youtube about Joel and Joel doing preaches... If there is a preacher that is itching the ears its him, he has no stance on anything. Hes like made of wet rubber. Bends to everyone
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kleeb  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:52:22 PM(UTC)
kleeb

kp wrote:
A "life coach," eh? I thought that's what we had Moses for. I've found that the Torah, on one level or another, tells us pretty much all we need to know about living successful lives. Interestingly enough, I find myself at this moment writing a chapter on "Giving" in TOM II. Here's a provocative question to ponder while I'm working on it: "Why does Yahweh, the Creator God who owns the whole universe and subsequently needs nothing, instruct us to give Him stuff---tithes, offerings, sacrifices, and so forth?"

kp

Come on KP, ask us something difficult. Anyone who loves Father Yahweh has the answer in his heart without even thinking about it. Lee
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:03:50 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Nice train of thought here... and nice question, KP. But Kleeb is right... make it more challenging. I'll do that for you... anyone here ready to give more towards this Mission? No, not just the tithe, but time and thought. I wouldn't go so far as respond with Yahushua's reply to the rich young man on what needs to be done... you all know the story... so let's just start with the three Ts.

I'd be most pleased to give more to this Work, and I certainly do not want to be seen as lukewarm and be spat out. I have engaged and am sharing with those around me. But I am not satisfied. I want to be able to do more as I think I can do more. Money is not the only resource needed for this Work. But I also realise that I am not yet fully ready in my remembrance of Scripture. Sure I can recall most of what was said, but I simply cannot quote Scripture the way many people seem to. I need to refer to Scripture again before I can plainly say, "John 3:16 states..." or "Rev 20:5 states..." or "Numbers 2:3 states..."

I have learnt over the years that tithes can be abused. Many pastors and ministers say that "As long as you do your part you should not worry what happens to the money as God will deal with those in charge of it. Just do you duty as God instructed..." Then we slowly find out that not only are the funds abused but falseness is taught and preached from the pulpit. Aaaargh! I stopped giving. Period. Now I think about how to use some of my resources to bring people to the YY site and to engage in the forum. I think about how to prepare my resources to plug into the Work.

KP and Yada have not asked for money because they follow our Father's instructions faithfully. I want to add to their resource meaningfully, as is done by Yada and some others who have been here before me and since I became active last December 2007. The more we apply ourselves to the Work the more we can spread the Word. I spend on paper, toner, disks, PCs, broadband, etc. to add to the Work. I am even thinking of mirroring the YY site so that the information is accessible if the main site is down for whatever reason, but I cannot do it where I am now.

So, Kleeb, you are right in that KP did not throw a challenge. But I think that it is up to us to step forward with the 3Ts and make life more interesting for us and those around us even as we go through our own trials. The challenge is in thinking how to give for free what we have received for free.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2008 5:12:29 AM(UTC)
kp

I didn't really intend it as a "challenging question," guys. Rather, it's something we should all ponder, for even though spiritually mature folks would know Yahweh's heart on the matter intuitively, the vast majority of people---even those calling themselves "Christians," would be hard pressed to figure it out. Muhammad, for example, pleaded for contributions by asking, "Who will give Allah a good loan?" And his listeners rightly responded that if Allah was really God, he wouldn't need the money. Bitnet's gotten to the heart of the thing here: how can we reciprocate Yahweh's love in a tangible way without inadvertently aiding and abetting those who would "abuse the tithe?" I've got no problem taking the muzzle off the ox that treads out the grain, but that doesn't mean we're supposed to give him the deed to the mill.

kp
Offline Tiffany  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2008 8:58:28 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

This question can be very challenging to some, only for the reason that growing up it was expected to give your 10%. If you did not give you would not be blessed, lucky for me I am blessed giving or not in a financial means. I have given the one thing that I have which is myself to Yah, in relationship and life. I open my home, and feed the homeless and care for the needy, I visit the oppressed and I make it my mission to share the truth.

Giving is who I am, Yah is making me more than I could have ever dreamed and I look forward to the work he has for me in the future. Either way I love Yah and well until he tells me otherwise I will be tithing into my house!