logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2008 11:28:39 PM(UTC)
Yada

I have often wondered about the following verses (taken from the NIV):

Quote:
Jesus Reinstates Peter

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

Catholics are quick to tell you that this is confirmation of Peter's unique charge to "shepherd the flock" - to become the first "Pope." But I suspect there is a deeper meaning here, one not apparent in our English translations.

I was wondering if some kind soul out there fortunate enough to have a program like 'Logos' or 'QuickVerse,' might take a look at it and see if they come to another conclusion?

Thanks.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:35:26 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello Yada,

Perhaps the following discourse may help shed some light on the passages quoted:

Yahuchanan Chapter 21

Verse 15

In this verse and the next two verses Yahushua commissions Petros to do three things – feed my lambs, tend my sheep, and feed my sheep. Now they may seem very similar. In fact the translators of the King James Version thought they were so close in meaning that they translated all three phrases similarly. But there are four different Greek words used for these six English words, and I think this indicates a threefold ministry which we will examine.

The Greek word used here in verse 15 for lambs is arnia (avrni,a) which means little lambs. Yahushua is about to give Petros, and us, a three-fold commission. Here is His first instruction – feed my lambs. Every church has little lambs. There are young children and there are new believers – both are lambs.

We have young children that need to be ministered to. We need to care for these young lives as much as we do the adults. They are just as important in God’s sight as any adult that comes through these doors.

But there are other lambs in Yahweh’s kingdom. There are those who are new in their commitment to MessiYah. Scripture calls them spiritual babes. We need to be willing to follow Yahushua's command to Petros and feed these lambs. Those who are new to MessiYah Yahushua need special attention. They need to learn about Yahweh and about Scripture. We need to be willing to spend the time to spiritually nourish them and help them realize that they are an important part of Yahweh’s family. So the first instruction that Yahushua gives us is to feed the little lambs – the children and the spiritual children.

Verse 16

A second time He said to him, "Shimown, son of Yahuchanan, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Adonai; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."

The second instruction by Yahushua is to "tend my sheep." The Greek word for tend is poimanate (poima,nate). In 1887 Vincent wrote concerning this word, "the verb denotes all that is included in the office of a shepherd – guiding, guarding, folding...."

Yahushua tells us we must tend the sheep. Who are the sheep? Certainly it refers to those believers who are under our care. Phillip Keller was actually a shepherd. This is what he wrote about the shepherd’s responsibility of tending to his sheep, "He will go to no end of trouble and labor to supply them with the finest grazing, the richest pasturage, ample winter feed and clean water. He will spare himself no pains to provide shelter from storms, protection from ruthless enemies and the diseases and parasites to which sheep are so susceptible. ... From early dawn until late at night this utterly self-less shepherd is alert to the welfare of His flock. For the diligent shepherd rises early and goes out first thing every morning without fail to look over his flock. It is the initial, intimate contact of the day. With a practiced, searching, sympathetic eye he examines the sheep to see that they are fit and content and able to be on their feet. In an instant he can tell if they have been molested during the night – whether any are ill or if there are some which require special attention. Repeatedly throughout the day he casts his eye over the flock to make sure that all is well. Nor even at night is he oblivious to their needs. He sleeps as it were ‘with one eye and both ears open’ ready at the least sign of trouble to leap up and protect his own."

So let us not neglect our responsibility in caring for the family of Yahweh. We must be willing to minister to hurts, to encourage the disheartened, to pray for those who are sick, to help the needy, and to reach out to those who are drifting away. Let us never neglect the job that the Lord has given us to tend the sheep. We must not only care about them, but we must also take care of them.

Adam Clarke wrote, "...in John 21:16 he uses the word poimainoo, which signifies to tend a flock, not only to feed, but to take care of, guide, govern, defend, etc., by which he seems to intimate that it is not sufficient merely to offer the bread of life to the congregation of the Lord, but he must take care that the sheep be properly collected, attended to, regulated, guided, etc.; and it appears that Peter perfectly comprehended our Lord's meaning, and saw that it was a direction given not only to him, and to the rest of the disciples, but to all their successors in the Christian ministry; for himself says, 1 Peter 5:2: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight, not by constraint, but willingly...."

Verse 17

He said to him the third time, "Shimown, son of Yahuchanan, do you love me?" Petros was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Yahushua said to him, "Feed my sheep."

Now Jesus gives Petros a third command – feed my sheep. First He said to feed my lambs, then tend My sheep, and now feed My sheep. Too often churches tend to their flock but neglect to feed them. Many churches have fabulous programs to meet the needs of their members – programs for all ages, support groups, counseling groups, addictive behavior groups. They have times of fellowship and activities for the whole family. They tend their sheep well.

But Yahushua said we must also feed the sheep. We must be fed from the Word. We must learn about Yahweh and His nature, His attributes, His personality. We must be taught how to rely on the Set-Apart Spirit. We must go from the milk of a new believer to the meat of the Word. As Paul wrote in Hebrews 5:12-14, "In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of Yahweh's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil."

How does this maturity come? It comes from being fed. As we learn from Yahweh’s word, we will grow in His grace. But how will the sheep grow if they are not being fed? That is our responsibility. We must be willing to not only tend the flock, but also feed it with spiritual food.

Adapted from Feed My Sheep by David Humpal

This passage is one of the reasons why I decided to engage in this forum. I have to move on, weaning from the milk and moving on to meat. Interacting with all of you here is part of my growth process, and I am thankful that you are all here on this journey led by the One MessiYah Yahushua. Yada, special thanks to you, brother!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yada  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:52:07 AM(UTC)
Yada

But why are these instructions specifically addressed to Peter? If I'm not mistaken, all that were on the boat fishing are assembled including John (who is the subject of the subsequent verses). Why was Peter singled out here?
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:02:52 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Oops! Missed a paragraph from DH's missive...

This the third opportunity given Petros to affirm his love for Yahushua. Remember, Petros had denied MessiYah three times at the palace of the High Priest. Now he is given a chance to affirm his love three times. Blum comments, "Yahushua’s threefold question and threefold commission of apostolic mission contrast directly with Petros’ three denials. Three times Petros said he did not even know the MessiYah; now three times he said he loved the MessiYah. No matter how great a person is, he may fall. But God’s grace and forgiveness will restore the repentant."

It seems that the reason Yahushua directed the questions at Petros was to give him a chance to redeem himself after his earlier denials on the night of betrayal. Yahushua simply gave Petros a chance for closure for his denials. Petros must have been full of self-doubt after his denials, but this commission from Yahushua was clear that Petros was to continue with the Work. I do not think that Yahushua's commission to Petros was directed only to him, as all the chosen were similarly tasked with the Work.
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:45:34 AM(UTC)
Yada

OK - thanks. How would you respond to a Catholic apologist who says, "NO, NO - it's much more than that. It's Christ charging and affirming the first Pope - Peter." (?)
Offline bitnet  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:44:40 AM(UTC)
bitnet

To quote some characters seen on TV series Goodness Gracious Me!: "In your dreams, innit!?"

But seriously, if a person wants to follow another person who may have gone astray, who can argue? I'll just leave it be and say that I'd rather not follow a person who was commissioned but who went astray, not that I am saying that Petros went astray. I certainly would not argue, "I am for Peter, or I am for Paul" but would it be wrong to follow a former miscreant like Paul who went onto the right path in the end?

My posture was always to "focus on the product, not the brand" and if people do make mistakes it is nigh impossible to call them infallible for no one is infallible except for MessiYah Yahushua.