logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:10:29 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I've been discussing the nature of the omni characteristics popularly applied to Yahuweh with a skeptic on another forum. What is expressly valid in Scripture and what limits does Yah place on Himself if any?

For starters, on omnipotence, I understand that Yahuweh is eternally existant, designed and through His power and will created the universe and all beings. In Genesis, Yah addressing Sarai's doubt at the prospects of becoming pregnant in her old age tells her "Is anything too hard for Yahuweh?"

For omniscience, I understand that Yah exists unbounded by timespace, free to manuver in the fourth dimension of time and that this is the basis for His knowing the end from the beginning of events, thus our future is known to Him as if it is present or has already occurred. As KP eloquently describes to Yah prophecy is future history. Further I take Yahushua's comment about Yahuweh having numbered every hair and being aware of the falling of each sparrow as evidence that Yahuweh is aware of everything that transpires within the physical universe and presumably beyond. I also take the passage that Yahushua knows what is in a man to mean Yah also knows the hearts (neshamah), thoughts (souls) and prayers of people.

For omnipresence that being unbounded by timespace Yahuweh is both aware of and can manifest his presence throughout the physical universe or His abode the third shamyim, Heaven. Yet as YY reveals Yahushua released the set-apart Spirit so his nepesh (soul) could suffer the penalty of sin in an abode which by defenition Yahweh's presence is absent. YY has opened me to the realization that Yahuweh is able to enjoy fellowship with His creations and "grows" from this.

A current popular omni applied to Yah being omni-loving or forgiving as the basis for universailism. That is if Yahuweh is a loving Father he would never as an omnipotent being create a universe in which His free-willed creations would be penalized with eternal death or eternal anguish.

I recognize that Yahuweh is most high in power and authority. That He is unbounded by timespace, aware of and able to manuever and manifest freely throughout the universe. That He so loved His fallen creation that He was willing to kneel down suffer, be mocked, and suffer the just penalty for sin as the (only possible?) means of restoring fellowship.

So what of limits? Yahuweh seems to limit His actions so as not to violate His own character. Knowing that it is necessary for real love to exist, Yah respects choice and freewill so much that He will not prevent a person from being able to inore His existence. He either can not or will not lie and decieve. He permits created spiritual entities to exist and interact with humans in order to permit a credible spiritually real alternative as a faulty substitute for the yearning to connect and relationally know His Spirit.

I'm presuming that such limits whether self-imposed or otherwise restricted the means of salvation to Yahushua's atonment and similarly limit the consequences of accepting Yahuweh's set-apart Spirit, a spirit in opposition to Yah, or no spirit at all to the three doors YY unveils from Scripture. The arguemnt against being if Yahuweh is both omnipotent (able to do any concievable thing any conievable way) and (omni) loving why not either remove he penalty of sin with a thought or provide more loving / merciful consequences on persons decieved into revering other spirits in place of Yah or having no meaningful relationhip with Yahuweh?

I realize that this is not a small question or series of related questions, but would appreciate any insights you may have.

Edited by user Friday, July 20, 2007 3:50:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tiffany  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:26:25 PM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Theophilus,
I love your train of thought and the depth that you have gone to in order to have a clear and demanding question. I have always wondered the same exact thing about the limits of Yahweh, are they self imposed or just beyond our human understanding. I personally believe both, I believe that Yahweh is both limiting himself just as we limit ourselves because its not always about what we can do but how we go about doing it, I think same goes for Yahweh. And then I know that the word tells us that Yahweh's thoughts are not our own nor are his way like ours so until the day comes when we can see him in his full glory I am sure we will be asking these questions. I trust that Yahweh is omnipotent, but I don't know about the omni-loving, because I know he does not love everything, just look at the concept of door number 3.

Blessings
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:23:48 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tiffany wrote:
Theophilus,
I love your train of thought and the depth that you have gone to in order to have a clear and demanding question. I have always wondered the same exact thing about the limits of Yahweh, are they self imposed or just beyond our human understanding. I personally believe both, I believe that Yahweh is both limiting himself just as we limit ourselves because its not always about what we can do but how we go about doing it, I think same goes for Yahweh. And then I know that the word tells us that Yahweh's thoughts are not our own nor are his way like ours so until the day comes when we can see him in his full glory I am sure we will be asking these questions. I trust that Yahweh is omnipotent, but I don't know about the omni-loving, because I know he does not love everything, just look at the concept of door number 3.

Blessings

but surely door number 3 is a need for justice rather than a lack of love?
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 4:38:15 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Thank you for taking the effort of reading my post and for sharing your insights.

I tried explaining the difference between having the power to do something while limiting that power to remain consistant with one's character in human terms. The example I choose was American military power at the end of World War II. With 50+% of the global GNP, veteran combat forces arrayed around the globe with the most capable navy, marine, and air force to include sole possession of atomic weapons and the means to deliver them at long range the US attained as close to military omnipotence as any world power ever has. What prevented America from using the awesome capability for conquest like the Axis forces that had just been defeated was the difference of character of the people and leaders of these powers.

YY has expanded on the limits of Yahuweh as few other sources have in revealling that Yahuweh bowed down to be with His creation. To do this for our benefit Yahuweh was willing to even enter timespace in a diminished manifestation in order to redeem us in that weak form and do what He would (or could?) not do without doing so. Suffer and die as the attoning passover lamb of the world.

YY also notes that Yahuweh either can not or chooses not (?) to destroy the rebellious immortal spiritual entities that rebelled against Him, but will deduce these (and the human souls who choose to attach themselves) in dimension to a lightless eternal existence in emotional anguish. I'm guessing these rebelious spiritual beings must have in at least one moment been given the choice of obeying Yahuweh or commit mutiny but that's another discussion.

Robskiwarrior, I believe that Yahuweh's love not equating to universal heaven (fellowship with Yah) for all is in large measure a recognition of the free-willed choices of individuals to live apart from Him and that justice is another characteristic of Yahuweh the necessitates the seperation or second death of such souls.

I've listened to various discussions on this topic that seem to suggest that "the LORD's justice" will mornfully cause Him to excile lost souls to the eternal equivilant of Hawaii so as not to suggest He either is cruel or coersive in his judgements. I find the three doors position addresses this from Scripture much more accurately but do struggle to determine if Yah's means of salvation and the consequences for doors #2 and #3 were limitations of power, or character? If neither, I can begin to understand the critics charge of His being not omni-loving as these conditions could seem to be arbitrary to a truly unlimited omnipotent being able to do anything concievable in any manner imaginable without restraint yet choosing to not prevent an undesirable outcome for his creations.

Until greater revelation comes, as Tiffany says, we must remeber that His thoughts are higher and not our thoughts.
Offline Tiffany  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 6:06:05 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Theophilus,

That is great! As I wrote last night I was so tired but I just loved what you had written and this morning, even more so. YY mentions Yahweh had to turn down his power because if he showed up in full glory well needless to say we would not be having this discussion. But as it also mentioned in the Called Out, chapter 8 when he returns there will be no need to dial it down!!!!!!!!!!! This excites me and I hope that in all you do that Yahweh will continue to bless your work and thought process!
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:17:20 AM(UTC)
kp

A very though-provoking string, my friends. Thanks, Theophilus, for bringing this up.

I think the key to the whole "omni" thing is that Yahweh cannot be what He is not. He can't be both of two mutually exclusive alternatives. He cannot personify chaos, confusion, contradiction, or nonsense. He cannot act out of character. So the key to demystifying the apparent gaps in God's omnicience, omnipotence, omnipresence, and so on, is to identify His character traits. These are revealed by what He says about Himself, what He has done, and most intriguingly, what He has told us to do---that is, what He considers to be good. So we learn first and foremost that Yahweh is "holy," that is, set apart from His creation, unique and perfect, and rendered unable by this nature to coexist with sin.

Next we are told that "God is love." And how does He define that? "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." (I Corinthians 13:4-8)

If love is patient, then we know why God doesn't squash us like bugs the first time we sin: He's giving us time to find Him. If it's kind, we know that Yahweh doesn't wish to harm anyone. If it does not envy, we can deduce that He lacks nothing---He can't be bought off. If love isn't proud or arrogant, we know for certain Yahweh isn't insecure---He knows Who He is and what He can do. If love doesn't behave rudely, we can understand why Yahweh doesn't throw His weight around---He (irrationally, perhaps) cares what we think. If love does not seek it's own, then it's objective is to benefit others. Furthermore, we are being told that Yahweh will not force His will upon us. Choice is our prerogative.

If love is not provoked, we know God will unfold his plan of redemption according to His own schedule, unshaken and unimpressed by the atrocities we commit along the way. If love thinks no evil and doesn't rejoice in iniquity, we are being assured that God will not stoop to our level, no matter how much we deserve it. But if love rejoices in the truth, it means that Yahweh will never lie to us. If it bears, believes, and hopes all things, we are being given the reason why justice plays second fiddle to mercy in God's economy. When love endures all things, we're given insight into how an omnipotent God could voluntarily shed glory, power, and even dimensions to sacrifice Himself on our behalf. And finally, if love never fails, then we can rest assured that the outworking of Yahweh's character---holiness and love---will achieve the result He ordained from the foundation of the world: our fellowship with Him for eternity.

So how does all of this shed light on the question of what limits Yahweh? On the touchy issue of "universal love," we observe that God provided all the love we need up front. But He (ever in character) lets us decide what to do with His love---embrace it, ignore it, or reject it. Is God omnipresent? Yes, with the caveat that our choice is allowed to overrule even this. He therefore has created a "place" where He Himself chooses not to go, out of respect for our right to choose to reject His love. Is God omnipotent? Only insofar as our right to choose is not abridged: He cannot and will not violate His own character. We need to comprehend, however, that any limitation to Yahweh's power is self-imposed.

Robskiwarrior writes, "surely door number 3 is a need for justice rather than a lack of love." I think maybe it's neither. Though "love rejoices in truth," and truth is closely akin to justice, I don't think God is particularly interested in dispensing justice. Yes, in His world, justice will happen, but it's the effect, not the cause. Door number 3---conscious emotional and spiritual torment for eternity---is merely the result of someone choosing to go there. Yahweh is "not willing that any should perish," but as we read, "love seeks not its own."

kp
Offline Theophilus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:20:40 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

KP, I've been re-reading and appreciating each time your words in this thread. While Yahuweh's Scriptures clearly indicate that choosing to live apart from His love and fellowship leads to desolation and lifelessness, I suspect most who choose this are blissfully unware of the consequences for their choices save an occaisionally bothered conscience?

I also came across a brief passage of YY that partially addresses this topic: in book v- chapter 1 Makat - the Exchange:

Quote:
The Almighty has chosen to limit His choices. He cannot be capricious. He cannot be unreliable. He cannot lie. He cannot be unfair. He cannot deceive. He is committed to upholding what He has revealed without exception. If God has said it, man cannot change it.

While this does not address other aspects raised in YY such as if Yahuweh is limited by choice or otherwise from destroying the spiritual entities (and allied human souls) that rebel against Him rather than imprisoning them, I find the reasoning of self limitation rather than lack of power to be consistant with revealed aspects of Scripture such as His character and the validity of our free will.
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:26:46 PM(UTC)
kp

Precisely, Theo. Yahweh's "limitations" are of necessity self imposed---they are the result of perfect order and logic, not the result of imperfection or inadequacy. As I said, God cannot be both of two mutually exclusive alternatives---nonsense.

But I must clarify something. A life that leads to desolation and lifelessness is characterized by one's lack of choice, not of "choosing to live apart from His love." The choices (or not) that define our eternal destinies have to do with forming relationships---with Yahweh, satan, or nobody at all. Yes, you can choose not to make a choice, but that doesn't lead to a familial relationship with any spiritual entity. But consequences? The default is the condemnation that leads to nothingness. Remember what Yahshua told Nicodemus: "He who believes in [the Son] is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten son of God." (John 3:18) We start off condemned (not a great translation. It's krino: separated out, decided, judged, evaluated). From there, we must choose to embrace eternal life, either with Yahweh, or with satan. That is, if we choose anything at all.

kp
Offline Theophilus  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 3:22:10 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I don't recall if this was something I passed over in earlier readings of YY or if this was added as part of the revised chapter, howver came across this passage in YY book I chapter 1 Hayah - Existence:

[quote]"Because (ba) before (terem - previous to the time) the mountains (har - hills, ridges, mountain ranges, and elevated land formations) were born (yalad - conceived through labor) on earth ('erets - on the land or ground) and the world (tebel - planet or universe) was brought forth violently (hyl - born in distress, akin to labor pains, in trembling and shaking), even from (min) before time ('ad - from perpetuity, from time without end, from eternal antiquity, from as far back as eternity, and continuously existing, forever and eternal), You ('atah) were infinitely powerful, and always existed as God ('owlam 'el - the everlasting Mighty One, the limitless authority with unlimited ability and authority throughout all time)." (Psalm 90:2) In this verse, Yahweh used 'erets, meaning "region, realm, land, or earth in the sense of dirt," and tebel, meaning "world," to help distinguish between these terms.

Man is wont to make God infinite in all areas, saying that He is omnipresent, omnipotent, and all knowing. But Yahuweh only says that His power and mercy are unlimited - as well as His existence. For God to be omnipresent, and thus to be unlimited in scale or size, He ceases to be a unique individual, becoming the universe itself, and thus would be in all things from rocks to slugs. For God to be all knowing, there would be no merit to creation or to forming a relationship with other individuals. These are things He wants to experience, to enjoy, and to grow from. Also relevant, Yahweh specifically tells us that the sins of those who are born anew into His family are no longer known to Him. And He makes no attempt to know those who make no effort to know Him.

This is helpful in attempting to clarify just what the best rendings of the scripture reveal about Yahweh's nature and just what He tells us about Himself compared the numerous omni attributes commonly taught.
Offline Icy  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 7:35:54 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Theo, that was added in the most recent update to that chapter, but it expands upon something that Yada said either elsewhere, or in the same spot of a previous version of said chapter. It certainly does clarify things, and makes it easier to understand Yahuweh's nature.
Offline Heretic Steve  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 10:05:50 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

This may be off base, but I kinda look at the omnipotence thing like this. A person has the capacity to commit suicide if they wish, but most don't because the characteristic of self-preservation prevents them from doing so even though they have the power to jump off a bridge or eating a bottle of pills. I think the same applies to Yah. He has the power to do anything, but His characteristics prevent Him from doing anything that would compromise his integrity.

So far as eternal consequences go, I believe those in the Abyss would not change their mind even if given another chance at repentance after having been in the Abyss. Actually, I don't think their capable of doing so, (repenting). Notice the rich cleric/politician who ask Abraham for a break and that he, (cleric/politician), never mentioned the reason why he was in Sheol, (the 'other side of the tracks' portion of Sheol), in the first place.

YY mentions that not even Yah can/will destroy a spirit. I'm speculating here, but maybe spirits were not created to be destroyed and doing so, (annihilating spirits), would be a compromise of Yah's integrity.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Theophilus  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:40:10 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I'll likely extend this thought to the Love requires Choice section unless another is more appropriate but I wonder if the reason Yah will not destroy a spiritual being even one fallen from Him and in rebellion to Him is that it does serve a purpose in their being in that state and they lack the capacity in some way to choose their own will in this regards?

I certainly agree that one's character and nature is a self limiting impostion of one's otherwise less restricted potential actions or in Yah's case truly unlimited potential action.

What Yada wrote about limitations of omni presence and knowledge/experience seems to me to be consistant with my understanding of Scripture compared to the omni nature in those respects commonly taught.

On a related thought I sometimes question what is vast as opposed to infinite. For example, time-space as we know it goes back eons, but from what we can tell in scripture and in science had a beginning a finite point in the distant past. The material universe is vast, but if our understanding is correct began as a sigularity that has been streched out "like a scroll" to the vastness we observe each night. If I understand the descriptions black holes are sometimes described as possessing inifinite gravity. If I understand it, the hole posseses the same mass it had as a star but has collapsed to an extremely small point that effects time space to a limited distance from that point.

My point being that Yahweh desribes Himself as infinite in some attributes Yada mentions and which I agree with, but don't see these nesessarily meaning He or the creation is therefore inifinite in other repsects even when vastness difficult to comprehend does apply.