logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:22:13 AM(UTC)
Yada

Anybody see this new site by the RCC? It's called "Catholics Come Home." (catholicscomehome.org) 3 short videos are featured at the bottom of the page.

Some of the claims made in the video:

"We started hospitals to care for the sick.
We established orphanages and helped the poor.
We are the largest charitable organization on the planet...
We educate more children than any other scholarly or religious institution...
We developed the scientific method and rules of evidence.
We founded the college system..."

etc. etc. etc.,
Oh, yeah, I forgot - "We compiled the Bible."

You can watch the video here.

I wonder what the RCC left out? According to historian Will Durant, "Compared with the persecution of heresy in Europe from 1227 to 1492, the persecution of Christians by Romans in the first 3 centuries after Christ was a mild and humane procedure."

You might also be interested in watching, "A Woman Rides the Beast" by Dave Hunt. You can find it here.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:07:00 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
And I quote from the Intro video: "If you're a practising Catholic please help us air more inspiring adds by clicking donate!"
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:41:03 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Shabbat,

Truth be told, the history of the Catholic church hurts. We all know what happened in the dark ages and middle ages through the Reformation to its modern incarnation today. We are astounded by it's stained history of bloodshed and unashamed control of people. At the same time it cannot be denied that the people of the church did do much good as well. Does the good cancel out the bad? I'm not an apologist for them but I'd say that the history of Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular has had its swings back and forth in the annals of human enlightenment and terror.

Perhaps one day history may reveal that the violence generated late in the first millineum was in response to the violence caused by the spread of Islam. Before Islam there is little evidence of the church resorting to violence. However, when pushed to defend themselves, they became as vicious as the enemy and the resulting race for religiosity led to the Crusades and the Inquisition and the conquest of the New World and other territories. However, "sanity" crept back in under the radar and as Europe prospered, the Europeans began to treat people a little differently. After World War II, popular humanism caught on and the spread of information swung the pendulum from the side of domination of the human spirit to the other side of freedom. It was ridiculous to fight and kill over religion. Besides, the world was a lot bigger than thought and there are simply too many people and religions to dominate. The story of salvation must be more than what was preached in the earlier centuries, and so began Vatican II and a change to accommodate much of the world's population.

With regards to the claims made above, I dare say that in Malaysia the Catholic and daughter churches did contribute significantly in the building of a social fabric that stands till today via their schools, hospitals, orphanages, homes for the elderly, charities, etc. I studied in a La Salle school, and I appreciate the values that were taught. There was a respect for all people and their religions. Nobody was forced to convert to anything, and equality in education was upheld. Discipline was strict but not overbearing.

Be that as it may, I am convinced that if pushed hard enough, Christians will again rise to the challenge and will oppose violence with violence. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are a response to the Islamic terror, plain and simple. People can claim all sorts of things about Bush policies and oil hegemony but the simple fact is that the people have replied to violence with violence. In this war, their enemies will lose when the stakes are raised because they have the power to destroy all enemies. Will Durant can make his claim because history cannot be denied, but the sad part is that many people have forgotten that there are several actors on this stage and they all interact with each other. Demonising one over the other is useless and leads to losing the plot and the upcoming cast and main lead actor.

Edited by user Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:00:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Truth Seeker  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:35:29 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

Yada's mention of "A Woman Rides the Beast" video rekindled my interest in the book.I ordered it and am almost finished reading it. That's a well-documented book and quite interesting.
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:28:42 AM(UTC)
Yada

I was 'bounced' earlier from a Catholic chat room simply for having a picture of the former Pope kissing the Quran on my profile. It seems that Catholics are not very comfortable addressing the question of why the Pope was kissing a book that denies the divinity of 'Christ.'

I guess they only want Catholics who don't ask any questions and keep their mouths shut to - "come home."

What's the old saying, "pay, pray, and obey?"
Yada attached the following image(s):
popekiss.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:33:18 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Sigh! Politically correctness can make slaves out of anyone willing to sacrifice themselves for peace. I dare say many Catholics and other Christians do not appreciate this gesture, but perhaps JP just had a BLT and was licking the book's leather cover... Did the other guy do the same with the bible?
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yada  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 8:50:19 AM(UTC)
Yada

Has anyone seen or heard of this show on EWTN called, "The Journey Home?" During each program, they feature a former Protestant minister who converted to Catholicism and thus "came home." They take phone calls and answer questions sent in by e-mail - so if anyone who like to submit a question, you can send them here:

Quote:
journeyhome@ewtn.com