logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Devildog  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 6:53:16 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Went to Sabbath study this week and was intrigued by something brought up there. Someone was suggesting that Isaac was in his 30's when he was to be offered up by Abraham. Mind you, that many crazy scenarios arise in this group and I assumed that he was in his teens, so I was partly interested because I asked myself why I didn't know this. Is this really in scripture?

That is why I wanted to ask you guys before I started to look into this. I figured someone here can show me the pieces to the puzzle as I suspect that it isn't clearly stated. It also got me to think....if true....why would God wait this long before the event? All I can think of for the answer is that He was waiting for the Yowbel/Jubilee. Any thoughts on this?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 8:00:36 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Perhaps he was in his 30's, as Yahushua was when He was sacrificed? Maybe he was the same age? That would be pretty cool... Although it would destroy the nice image of Isaac being a small boy following his father up a hill... Was'nt it Isaac that carried the wood for the offering too? surely a small boy would not be able to do this all the way up the mountain?

Just some thoughts :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 8:50:50 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Yitz's age actually comes from rabbinic tradition. I am not however inclined to discount it completely because in many ways it makes sense. As robsksi pointed out that would put him around the same age as Yahushua. Given the circumstances I believe that he was also a willing participant,believing in the promises that I am sure Abraham fostered in him. This is just a stab in the dark, but i believe if he was an adult it would have to have been voluntary...a centarian like Abe wresslin' down a spry young adult doesn't seem likely. I believe such consent fits better with an adult, though I have to admit that my modern mindset plays a factor in this assumption.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Devildog  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 9:26:58 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Thanks guys. I was wondering why someone could be so absolute in this, because I didn't remember learning this, but at the same time found it very interesting for the reason Rob mentioned earlier about him being around the same age as Yahushua. But what struck me the most is the waiting. I am glad to hear that you agree with the reasoning swalchy. With that said, has anyone of you confirmed the Yowbel date for this dress rehearsal we are discussing. Tracing the date back to 1967BC gives me a headache. Any quick confirmations? Shalom, how does it come from rabbinical teaching? What does it say?
Offline shalom82  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:04:24 AM(UTC)
shalom82

it's from Gen. Rabbah 58:5. The assumption is that Moriah and Sarah's death are in close conjunction in the plain text. Sarah had Yitz when she was 90 and died at 127 making Yitz 37 at the time of Moriah and Sarah's death. The rabbis state that Sarah killed over due to the belief that Abraham had indeed slayed Yitz upon the mount. You can't get the true time lapse from Moriah to Sarah's death or Sarah's cause of death from the plain text...but...anyway...hope that helps :)

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:12:17 AM(UTC)
kp

I've never really thought about the evidence for Isaac's age, but here's some food for thought: there's a phrase that gets repeated over and over again in the early chapters of Numbers--- "...from thirty years old and above, even to fifty years old, all who enter the service to do the work in the tabernacle of meeting." Those Levites who served in the sanctuary had to be between thirty and fifty years old. Since the Tabernacle is from top to bottom a preview of the Messiah's ministry and our place within it, it seems likely (Yahweh being consistent in His metaphors) that Isaac had reached his thirtieth birthday at the time of his almost-sacrifice. We also know that he was strong enough to carry the wood on his back---not a job for a twelve-year-old.

kp