logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yah Tselem  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:51:33 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The marriage obligation of surviving brothers.

"If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband’s brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband’s brother to her. And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. But if the man does not want to take his brother’s wife, then let his brother’s wife go up to the gate to the elders, and say, “My husband’s brother refuses to raise up a name to his brother in Israel; he will not perform the duty of my husband’s brother.” Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him. But if he stands firm and says, “I do not want to take her,” then his brother’s wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, remove his sandal from his foot, spit in his face, and answer and say, “So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother’s house.” And his name shall be called in Israel, “The house of him who had his sandal removed.” (Deut 25: 5-10)

I'm curious if there is a deeper meaning to this passage when you look at the original Hebrew words....
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:38:35 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Welcome to the YY forums Yah :)

Thats a brilliant question, I hope to hear something deeper on this too!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:27:55 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Welcome to the forum Yah Tselem!

One thing I've learnt is that both Ken (kp) and Yada have pretty much covered nearly every aspect of the Torah, Prophets, and the rest, in their books. In this case I remembered kp discussing it in The Owner's Manual - Chapter 3 - Marriage, Sex and Family Ties.

Quote:
(79) A widow whose husband died childless must not be married to anyone but her deceased husband’s brother. "If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband’s brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband’s brother to her. And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel." (Deuteronomy 25:5-6) In ancient Israel, this mitzvah was part of the welfare system, intimate and practical, as usual. To become a widow was bad enough, but to be left with no sons to carry on the family name and provide familial support was considered a catastrophic tragedy. The widow wasn’t to remarry just anybody. God’s ideal solution was for the dead husband’s brother to marry the widow (even if he was already married, so the rules governing polygamy apply--see #73). The first son born of this union of necessity would bear the name, status, and inheritance rights of the deceased husband. This also kept the DNA--the genetic profile--of the son as close as possible to what it would have been had the dead brother been his actual father.

There were several big "ifs" attached to this mitzvah, however. First, the brothers had to have dwelled "together" with each other before the first died. Yachad comes from a word that means "unit." It’s not specified just how close this togetherness had to be, but if the guy never saw his brother except at gatherings like the Feast of Tabernacles, all bets were apparently off. Second, there was a "get-out-of-marriage-free card," so to speak. We’ll address that under #81.

(80) One must marry the widow of a brother who has died childless. "...her husband’s brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband’s brother to her." (Deuteronomy 25:5) The scripture supporting the affirmatively stated converse to mitzvah #79 stresses that the widow was not to be looked at as a charity case, but was to be a full-fledged member of the family with all the rights and privileges of any wife, including conjugal rights. The primary idea, after all, was to ensure that the dead brother’s line continued. This whole "marry-your-brother’s-widow" concept was not new with the Law of Moses, by the way. God took this issue of genetic heritage very seriously generations before the exodus: consider the case of Judah’s son Onan in Genesis 38. Yahweh killed him (verse 10) for refusing to father a son for his dead brother Er. It’s a pretty convoluted tale, but the bloodline of the Messiah was at stake here. Judah himself unwittingly ended up fathering his own grandson (i.e., the son of his daughter-in-law), Perez (a direct ancestor of King David). Twisted but true.

(81) The widow (as in #79 and 80) must formally release the brother-in-law if he refuses to marry her. "But if the man does not want to take his brother’s wife, then let his brother’s wife go up to the gate to the elders, and say, ‘My husband’s brother refuses to raise up a name to his brother in Israel; he will not perform the duty of my husband’s brother.’ Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him. But if he stands firm and says, ‘I do not want to take her,’ then his brother’s wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, remove his sandal from his foot, spit in his face, and answer and say, ‘So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother’s house.’ And his name shall be called in Israel, ‘The house of him who had his sandal removed.’" (Deuteronomy 25:7-10) Okay, so it’s not a stoning offense. This puts the "marry-your-brother’s-widow" rule in the "strongly suggested" category. Notice that three times in the greater passage, the phrase "in Israel" or "of Israel" is used. This is a strong indication that the mitzvah was never intended to apply outside eretz Israel, or beyond the time frame of the theocratic assembly (which admittedly was designed to last more or less forever). This is one of those "Laws" that can’t possibly be kept today (if only because modern Israel forbids polygamy). If keeping the letter of the whole Law was what justified us with Yahweh, we’d all be in deep spit.
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 5:50:31 AM(UTC)
kp

I'm afraid I may owe y'all an apology. When I wrote the early TOM entries on the Deuteronomy 25 passage, I was not keenly attuned to the fact that there is always a spiritual or prophetic application to the Torah's precepts---even the most blatantly "practical" of them, as this one is. I have since had my eyes opened a bit. So looking at this with fresh eyes, what do I see? The "husband" in this case is one's faith, one's belief system, the one the wife is used to and committed to. In Israel's case, of course, that "husband" was supposed to be the Torah, as played out in the Tanach. But hubby went into a seventy-year coma in 586 BC with the destruction of Solomon's Temple, and he finally "died" in 70 AD when Titus overthrew Herod's Temple. Israel was at this point "a widow."

And who was the "brother in law" who was supposed to marry the widow Israel? Who had spiritual DNA that was closer than anyone's to that of the Torah? Why, the Ekklesia of Yahshua, of course---the "Church." Not the power-hungry, top-heavy ecclesiastical organization it became, but what it started out to be---what it should have been: the Torah's "little brother." But what happened? At the Council of Laodicea in the fourth century, the Church "refused to raise up a name to his brother Israel," declaring all things Jewish to be an anathema. Israel and the Ekklesia should have been the closest of allies, loving and fruitful, but Israel was betrayed and abandoned by the Church. Not that she was guiltless: even before the body of her late husband was cold, she was already fooling around with her new lover, rabbinical Judaism. The result (in a process that began centuries before the Church grew powerful and arrogant) was that the widow Israel married someone other than her late husband's brother---someone who turned out to be abusive and harmful to her. She has been a "battered wife" ever since. And to a large extent it's our fault.

Feel free to disagree if you've got a better explanation, but that's what I see here. In the Tabernacle chapter (4) of TOM II, I ran across several subtle indications that the Ekklesia and Israel were supposed to function side-by-side, working together toward the outworking of God's plan of redemption. This new ephiphany about "remarriage" fits that picture beautifully. Let us do more than mourn for our battered sister in law. Let us help her find shelter from her abusive mate.

kp
Offline Yah Tselem  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 6:37:47 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Thank you for the insight. That makes sense. I have read FH & I am in the middle of reading YY and after that I want to read TOM... then I will have a better understanding of all this as Yahweh reveals it to me.
Offline Yah Tselem  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 8:03:10 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

OK, I want to say thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I feel compelled to give a brief background since I am new. I must admit I have been reading the forum for awhile, I just never signed up & posted until yesterday.

I have followed our Father since I was a child, but the relationship didn't blossom until the last 8 years, when (in His perfect timing) He started to reveal Himself to me. I started spending more time with Him and it started out by me asking Him to reveal Himself to me, to really open my eyes and show me the truth about who He really was, even if it went against anything I was taught. That turned out to be an awesome and profound prayer, as it(He) has changed my life forevor.. some of you may have had similar occurences.. It has since been an explosion of knowledge, but only as much as He is ready for me to handle. He completely changed my outlook on life, as the world became dim as He became brighter. I grew up in a Baptist setting, nice people with what they thought were good intentions, but the more I've learned the more I understand the truth about religion. When once I though God was religion, well now I understand Yahweh hates religion and He wants His truth to be known and I feel that there is a growing group of people out there who are seeking the truth and finding it to a degree and they are looking for signs that they are not alone.. How do we reach them, I often wonder.. Anyways, more about me.. I love Scripture prophecy and that's what lead me to FH several years ago & I found it fascinating what you can learn by looking at the original language and asking Yahweh to reveal Himself to me as I read FH and as I am in the middle of YY. Although it is the happiest time of my life, knowing that I have a growing relationship with Yahweh.. but it is at times difficult. My wife and kids are very supportive and ready to unlearn the old and learn the new. However, I have several goods friends who grew up catholic and I have a hard time reaching them. They seem to want to learn more, but then they turn around and end up going back to the catholic church for another mass, etc.. They wonder why I don't get into Christmas, since they think it is all about God. Same goes for the other pagan holidays.. Sorry that I got off topic, maybe this should be under a new topic.. but I wanted to give a glimpse of who I am.

Anyways, I have lots of questions that I would like to eventually ask.. but the first thing I'd like to discuss is the coming passover. I don't know enough about the miqras. Can you direct me how to find out what I should/shouldn't be doing while reflecting on the death and resurrection? Obviously there will be no Easter bunny or coloring of eggs, etc in my house.. but is there certain scripture readings I should be reading to the kids about it, etc? and if there is, then what is a good translation of the scriptures to use? Right now I still have the KJV and the NIV, but obviously there are better translations. Yada mentions a bunch of references that he used for YY in the opening chapters, but which one should I get? Thanks.
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 8:10:08 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

kp, that's insightful stuff!

So from Deuteronomy 25:7-10 we can deduce that the Church can now be called ‘The house of him who had his sandal removed.’ Not forgetting to mention being spit in the face.

What's the significance of the word "sandal" used in the phrase?
Offline Icy  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 10:17:37 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Yah Tselem, thanks for introducing yourself. Your story is not much different than most of ours here.

As for your questions. First off, next week is not anywhere near Passover, so all that Easter stuff going on, just forget that. Passover will start Friday April 18 at sundown and go until sundown on Saturday, when Unleavened Bread begins and lasts for 7 days. Firstfruits will begin on Sunday evening. How to celebrate them? Good question. Well, we can't really do everything Scripture, as we have no temple, but for the most part it's probably up to what the Ruach Qodesh leads you to do. Traditionally, the Jewish tend to read some passages from the OC about the first Passover. I think Messianics read a bit from the RC. I think my family will be reading from both, and I'll point out how one is a picture of the other. We are also going to eat some roast lamb. Does anyone else have any specific plans?

As for a good translastion, many people on here will suggest the ISR scriptures, which I like as well. It is available for free on E-sword. Here's the link: http://www.isr-messianic.org/. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and they have a link to download their translation for E-sword, as well as a link to E-sword to get the program (it's free).

As for the references that Yada mentions, they are great for study and digging into the languages, but they are just flat out translations that you would read to your kids. Plus, all together, they are quite expensive. I think for now, something like the ISR scriptures is more what you are looking for, its not perfect, but it is a good start.
Offline Yah Tselem  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 10:46:21 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Matthew: There is a similar reference to the "sandal" in Ruth 4: 7,8. That may or may not shed light on it.

Icy: thanks a lot for the response. I plan to follow up on your suggestions.
Offline Yah Tselem  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 11:32:56 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Icy(or anyone), on the ISR website, they show 2 versions(if I was to get a hardcover). One is "The Scriptures" and the other is "The Hebraic Roots Version Scriptures". Which one is better? Also they have a book called "Come out of her my people". Is that any good? THANKS
Offline kp  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 3:14:42 PM(UTC)
kp

Matthew: 'Fraid so, the church is ‘The house of him who had his sandal removed.’ There were several types of covenants used in early Israel, a covenant of salt (like saying "I promise"), the sandal swap (kind of like shaking hands on it), and the most serious, the blood covenant, the splitting of a sacrificial animal in two and walking together between the pieces (Remember Abraham?) It's like saying "cross my heart and hope to die---for real." I can't be sure, but it seems like the removing of the sandal here is an announcement to the community that "You're a chicken-hearted weasel who had an agreement with your brother that you'd look after his widow if anything happened, and now you're backing out on your part of the bargain. Hypocrite! He would have taken care of your widow, you scumbag." Or something like that.

kp
Offline Mike  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 3:47:33 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Welcome YahTselem!

I have "The Scriptures" (blue hardcover) and I like it. You can buy a copy for $21 here: http://www.eliyah.com/thescriptures.html . They cost $28 at the ISR website. Eliyah also sent me a CD with music.

Also, if you have E-sword software, you can download "The Scriptures" for free if you want to check out "The Scriptures" before buying. That is what I did, plus it is nice to have the electronic version also. E-sword can be downloaded for free as well. I do not have the "Hebraic Roots Version" so I can't give you any advice about it.

I found a copy of "Come Out of Her My People" at Half-Priced Books and it is very good at explaining the Pagen roots of many things in Christianity. Catholic's will not like reading it. I have relatives who are Catholic also.
Offline Truth Seeker  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:25:36 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

Regarding versions of Scripture we also use "The Scriptures" from ISR.
"Come out of her my people" by Chris Koster is a good book,especially for anyone that is questioning religion as most of us know it today.

FWIW,we read both the Old Testament passages regarding Passover and New Testament passages in the Gospels(the crucifixion for us=the ultimate passover Lamb sacrificed for our sins)and Hebrews.
Offline Icy  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 3:12:16 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

I have the leather bound copy of the ISR scriptures, and enjoy it alot, though it your not picky like me, the cheaper hardbound would be just as good. I haven't read the Hebraic Roots Version, so I can't tell you about it.

As for "Come Out of Her My People," you can search for it online and find a free pdf. That's what I did. It was a good read and very anti Catholic. The book used to be called "The Final Reformation" in it's first edition, and was later renamed. I think "The Final Reformation" is the free one that I read. I think this link will get you to a copy: http://www.sa-hebroots.com/index.htm. It's not working for me though, so the page may no longer be active.
Offline Truth Seeker  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:25:10 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

Hey Icy,
I have the leatherbound version too.

The website that you linked didn't work for me either.

"Come out of her my People" is getting more difficult to locate.
A number of editions of the ISR Scriptures and "Come out of her my People" are still being sold at torahzone.net.
Offline Matthew  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:13:55 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

You can read the pre-edition of Come Out Of Her My People (originally called The Final Reformation) online at http://www.scribd.com/do...le-preEdition-C-J-Koster or click here.

Edited by user Friday, March 28, 2008 5:52:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Icy  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 1:48:24 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Thanks for posting that link to scribd, Matthew. I was going to put my copy on there and link it, but the site it blocked here at work now.