logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Icy  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 4:43:06 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I read this from TOM last night:
Quote:
(41) Don’t reap the entire field. “When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not wholly reap the corners of your field when you reap, nor shall you gather any gleaning from your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the stranger: I am Yahweh your God.” (Leviticus 23:22) How wasteful! How inefficient! Not really. It’s one of Yahweh’s ways of taking care of the poor. Landowners were instructed not to harvest their entire crop, but to leave the corners or edges of their fields untouched so that the poor could come and harvest a little grain for themselves. Note three things. First, it wasn’t considered theft for a poor person to harvest what he could carry himself—he wasn’t taking enough grain to sell for a profit, only that which was sufficient to keep himself and his family alive. Second, he wasn’t in competition with the reapers—there were sections of the field especially set aside for the poor to harvest from. Third (and this is important for us to notice today) the poor weren’t given a handout on a silver platter; they were required to work for it just like everybody else. God saw to it that they wouldn’t have to starve just because they didn’t own their own land, but neither could they just sit back in their government-subsidized apartments, watching soap operas on TV, eating food-stamp potato chips, and waiting for the welfare check to arrive. The poor had to go out, harvest, and process the bounty that Yahweh had provided. In modern America, if we were smart enough to follow God’s law, that might translate into public works jobs—beneficial to society however menial they might seem, paid for through the taxes of those fortunate enough to have jobs. But no work, no welfare: society should alleviate poverty, not reward it.

Reading what kp wrote and the scripture above, it sounds like as long as one is taking to live and not making a profit off of what they take, then it is okay. Yahuweh wants the poor to do that so that they can survive. So, if someone is shoplifing at the grocery store to feed their family, are they really "stealing" or just taking the "gleanings"? This would also tell us that those that do sit around waiting for handouts are stealing. Does this mean that the government is stealing from us (I have always thought so)?

Along these same lines, what would Yahuweh think of "intellecutal property?" If I download a song and listen to it or put it on my ipod, is that stealing if I'm not making a profit on it or distributing it to others? Is the record company really losing anything if I would have never bought the song in the first place? Certainly things like that are not required to live, so I don't really think they fall under this scripture, but where do they fall? If you take a copy of a song or a piece of writing from someone, how do you give him back 4 times what you took? Do you make 4 copies and give it back? Do you write 4 new songs? Is stuff like that not substantial and taking copies does not qualify as stealing?
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 6:24:00 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

In my opinion I would think the owner of the land was aware of the poor being there, they would probably ask permission first or just pass a casual nod when entering the field. I don't think the poor were trying to sly past the owner and take advantage of the situation.

When I lived in South Africa I would give money to the poor or something to eat if they knocked on my door. But then when I returned the following day from classes I would find the same person on my doorstep again, or casually lying on the grass, expecting me to provide the same service. Not only that but my neighbour would tell me that they were there since early in the morning. And soon after that a friend of their's would arrive saying their friend told them about me and how generous I was. There was only so much I could do, but I always felt guilty because what was I suppose to do? Not only that but the neighbours were getting annoyed with me because I did not answer the door the beggar would knock on the their door, and they also didn't like the fact of having beggars sitting and lazying around their little estate. It doesn't help much when a beggar knocked on the door and all I could smell was methylated spirits, which they soaked through bread and drank the alcohol leftover.

Now with music?! Would I download (pirate) a CD that I probably wouldn't normally buy, usually for lack of money? Probably not because man has classified this as stealing property and I don't want to go to prison for something that's not contradicting Scripture (though I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it). However, when it comes to this I think the owner of the property (song) assumes that if it wasn't for the Internet then the person would buy the CD from a store. Which is not usually the case. If I wasn't going to buy the CD in the first place, am I stealing it by downloading it, after all it didn't cost them anything to produce the hardware, all they do is stick it on a server (online shop) and people download copies, whereas the conventional way it to make CD copies, which involves a much higher production cost. Question is, who's the greedy one, the one trying to save money because of easy access to music, movies, etc. for free albeit illegal, or the owner of the property determined to make as much buck as possible? I think they got it right with Live8, provide an exceptional cast of performers with the aid going to poverty. Even though we know it profits nothing for them due to lack of relationship with Yahuweh.

I'm not an expert on the music industry so am unqualified to comment, but I got a sense of unease in my spirit when I did it, maybe due to lack of understanding the Truth or maybe because of divine guidance :)

I think we need someone with more wisdom on this subject to respond.

I think the question Icy, did actually ask, and myself ask is this: "Is the record company really losing anything if I would have never bought the song in the first place?"

Note: I like Keb Mo's music, and I buy the original CDs, plus I try see his live performances if I can. I wouldn't want to rip him off by downloading his music illegally, but he is a person I would go out of my way to support, you know to save up money to buy a CD. Now with others I wouldn't really support or buy the CDs, now what?
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 11:55:02 AM(UTC)
kp

In the case of a hungry man shoplifting from a store and using the Torah passage about not gleaning the corners of the field as a justification, we need to remember that Yahweh's means of providing charity was a system. Both the haves and have nots were involved. A modern equivalent might be when a restaurant or a grocery chain donates foodstuffs that are past their ideal freshness date (but are still okay) to the local homeless shelter. That's God's plan in action. Another (more personal) example: a few years ago, my wife and I kept a small flock of chickens who laid more eggs than our family could eat. There was an organization in town who was equipped to distribute them to the needy, and so we made the connection and gave away dozens of dozens of the best eggs you could find. The point is, within the system (even if you have to re-invent it yourself) it's okay for the poor to receive from the more well-off. But outside the system, it's stealing.

As far as "intellectual property" is concerned, now you know why Yada and I give our stuff away. I've got a notice on my copyright pages that says anybody can copy and use and redistribute any of my stuff they want to, with the only condition being that they don't sell it. Where would we be if Paul had copyrighted his letters? I have a real problem with Professional Christians. Sorry, it's just the way I'm wired.

kp
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 1:22:38 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

I've been pondering this the whole afternoon since I wrote my first post. The giver and the receiver are both involved and are aware of each others situation, in the case of music downloading the owner would have made some sort of statement saying that he's giving the music away for free, like what Swalchy just mentioned in his post. Also like what Ken and Yada have done regarding their books and audio files.

I came up with the conclusion that if I can't afford to live the life of luxury then I shouldn't be taking a short cut to try live that way. By short cut I mean having a large selection of music that I couldn't afford in the first place.

As a "poor" man, I prefer knowing that I have permission first before taking to fill my stomach, because maybe the giver hasn't given permission and I could get myself into some serious trouble.

Those songs that I have downloaded before I've always had the intention of buying, but you know how it goes, one seems to get more poorer as time passes, and in the end the songs are never purchased. I'm one of the ones that battle with this (let's hope the battle is over for me), I end up deleting the files quickly after downloading due to guilt, sometimes not even listening to them. I find searching for music (to download illegally) such a time waster, because in the end it profits me nothing and has actually put an obstacle in my relationship with Father.

I have even downloaded songs that I already have on an original CD but just can't be bothered to transfer from CD via PC to the iPod. I'm not particularly worried about quality, simply because I don't own a stereo and am not a DJ.

My wife has recently asked me to get two particular CDs for her, she just said I should download it, but my first thought was that I was going to buy originals instead, even if it requires a hefty withdrawal from the cash in my wallet. I believe this is the working of the Set-Apart Spirit in my life. She's determined to see my relationship with my Father flourish, even be it a small matter such as this.

Offline Adderley  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 7:30:20 PM(UTC)
Adderley
Man

I download songs occassionally. I consider it "sampling" the product. If I like the song I will most likely end up buying the album. Or conversely if I think the song is mediocre or just plain sucks I'll delete it and the artist won't get a penny. Swalchy, the difference between a compressed audio file such as an MP3, 192 kbps or higher, and audio from the CD is so minute that only well trained ears could tell the difference. This is especially true if you have a good speaker system. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but this is the conclusion I've come to.
Offline Icy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:53:18 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Thanks for the discussion, folks. I like kp's explanation of it being a system. If one does not participate in the system, it's not up to us (or the poor) to force them. I still wonder if Yahuweh would consider it stealing if a man was just trying to feed his family. I guess that is between Yahuweh and the man though.

Swalchy is correct about albums that are available for free actually selling better than other albums. Publishers are starting to do this with books as well, because it opens up the material to an audiance that might never have considered it who will then either buy it, or donate money to support the author. It's amazing how slackening up on capitalism actually produces more profit.

I have the same grudge against professional christians. None of that stuff should cost a thing, especially scripture. Or if it does, it shouldn't cost more than it does to print and distribute the material. Christian bookstores tend to disgust me at how expensive everything is. It is always about serving the god of money/capitalism rather than serving Yahuweh.

The concept of "intellectual property" still amazes and confuses me though. That's really like charging someone to listen to me talk. "You want to know what I think? Well, that's going to cost you $12.99 plus tax. By the way, I also charge $0.99 for each song I sing." It just doesn't make sense. Imagine if people had to pay to listen to a pastor and sing hymns. . . Oh wait, they kinda do. (Sorry, I just remembered the pastor that I used to listen to always asking for money. My wife wants to go back there, so it's kinda on my mind).
Offline kp  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:42:15 AM(UTC)
kp

One factor I should throw into the discussion: Even if "Christian Artists" and writers wished to give their stuff away, studio time, CD production, book printing, distribution, warehousing, and shipping---and a thousand other details---are all expensive, and they don't put a penny into the hands of the people doing the "creative" aspects of a project. Even the Web ain't free. Our friend Yada has spent a pretty penny enabling his and my websites, not to mention this forum. We all owe him a great debt of gratitude.

One thing I learned working for Yada's Internet startup, Value America, back before the turn of the millennium was that distribution costs alone could spell the difference between success and failure in a commercial/retail enterprise. Even if an artist or author is making nothing, a printed book or plastic CD is still going to cost a lot. There's no way around it. By the way, the Value America story (Yada's and my first literary effort together) is available free online---click on it from any of our websites. It's a fascinating, terrifying treatise on corporate heroism and betrayal in America, and it's all true.

kp
Offline jojocc  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:42:18 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Does charging extortionate rates of tax and spending billions on campaigns to get children to nag their parents for the latest CD's/fashions/DVD's etc count as stealing too?

If so, do two wrongs make it right ;-)

Offline kp  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:12:20 AM(UTC)
kp

If something has absolutely no value to anyone, is it stealing to "steal" it? Here's one for ya. I just read on Prophecy News Watch that there's a real "problem" with Catholic priests plagarizing their sermons off the Internet. The first line of the article reads, "Young Catholic priests who download sermons from the internet to save themselves the trouble of writing their own have been told that they could be prosecuted for plagiarism." The whole article is at: http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/March13/1381.html

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

kp