logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Icy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:08:25 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I bet you are as shocked as I was when I read that title. I found this when I was looking through the news today. It's not long, so I pasted it below:

Quote:
JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

"The Bible says people see sounds, and that is a clasic phenomenon," he said citing the example of religious ceremonies in the Amazon in which drugs are used that induce people to "see music."

He mentioned his own experience when he used ayahuasca, a powerful psychotropic plant, during a religious ceremony in Brazil's Amazon forest in 1991. "I experienced visions that had spiritual-religious connotations," Shanon said.

He said the psychedelic effects of ayahuasca were comparable to those produced by concoctions based on bark of the acacia tree, that is frequently mentioned in the Bible.

Of course there is no actual evidence at all here other than, "only someone high on drugs could 'see god.'" And it would figure that the guy himself has "experimented" with drugs, so he's intamately familier. It is sad that this guy actually things all of his ancestors were high on drugs in some mass narcotic effect.

As for the "seeing sounds" portion, there is an actual phenomenon that explains that besides drugs (other than coming from Yahuweh). It is called synesthesia.

Synesthesia is a mixing of of sensations in the brain, so that you may see sounds, hear colors, feel tastes, taste music, or whatever other combination of sense mixing you can think of. There are even cases of it causing people to personify letters, numbers, and words. It is actually a relatively common phenomenon, with 1 in 23 people experiancing it (which means there is a good chance at least one person reading this has it). The thing is, though, it's normal for those people, so they don't realize that they have it.

Do I think Moshe was high? Not at all. What scripture says is the way it is. This is just one more scheme of the advasary to cause people to turn away from Yahuweh.
Offline Heretic Steve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:01:10 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Thou, (exhale), cough, cough, shall not, cough cough, bogart thy neighbors wife.
Somehow just does'nt seem to be the same... Hahahaha
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:22:47 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
im with steve... surely if he was high - and high normally used to relate to a feeling of extacy and relaxation - the last thing he would want to do was sort out commandments... maybe look at the clouds on his back or something, but I don't think sorting out the ten commandments would have been high on his agenda... well not along side all the pretty bunnies, and fluffy clouds.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:57:54 AM(UTC)
kp

Well somebody was smokin' something: "Now Mount Sinai was completely in smoke, because the Lord descended upon it in fire. Its smoke ascended like the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mountain quaked greatly." (Exodus 19:18) Sounds like the Gospel According to Cheech and Chong, man.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:53:02 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello All,

Lesseeee... the evidence shows a burnin' bush, an old man coming down a rock face with a glowin' face, people chantin' and dancin' down below praisin' a metal cow in the middle of the desert... KP is right... Cheech and Chong musta had dis script way back then. Hic! But then again... sounds like the Burnin' Man Fest in Nevada... Way cooooool, brudder!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.