logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2022 12:06:01 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I was very surprised during the most recent Yada Yah Radio Shabat show (2/11/2022) to hear Yada mention Petra. Jordan as being the Mecca of Muhammad, as I assumed the one in what is today Saudi Arabia, and to which Muslims travel for haj was. I decided to do a Web Search on the subject and found the following link:

https://nabataea.net/exp...islam/muhammad-in-petra/

The article notes that the first Qibla direction for the earliest mosques during the 100 years of Islam point toward Petra. The article also recommends a film "The Sacred City" that supports the content of the article.

If you;re like me, your first introduction to Petra was as Alexandretta in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as the location of the grail.

Possibly this post shuld be in Islam in Scriptures, but given the archeological angle thought it might belong here.

Respectfully,

Offline InHisName  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2022 11:48:27 AM(UTC)
InHisName

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Thanks for the research.

Yada's referrence perked my ears as well. I do remember in my early readings (probably Yada's writings)that the Ka'ba had moved, but I don't remember any reference to Petra. The video available at your link is quite convincing.

Allen
Offline Theophilus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2022 10:08:58 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Originally Posted by: InHisName Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the research.

Yada's referrence perked my ears as well. I do remember in my early readings (probably Yada's writings)that the Ka'ba had moved, but I don't remember any reference to Petra. The video available at your link is quite convincing.

Allen

It's been some time since I last read POD but thought the change in Kibla was from toward Jeruslaem to Mecca. That would make sense if Muhammad was borrowing from the local Jews he incountered. That said, I didn't think that Jews then or now pray twoard Jerusalem, even if that was the recognied place of the temple, and the place of the Miqra'ey.