logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Micha'el  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 4:44:55 PM(UTC)
Micha'el
United States

I have been trying my hand at translating Hebrew, starting "In the Beginning..." and have arrived at the event where the Covenant was ratified through Abraham. I thought I would share my translation of Bare'syth 22:12 here, first for correction and advice, as well to share some interesting insights.

Then (wa) He spoke [via the malak] ('amar): "No longer ('al) exert (shalach) the influence of your open hand (yad 'atah) toward ('el) the young man (ha na'ar), for (wa) no longer ('al) do you need to use ('asah) him (la huw) as an example to ponder the full meaning of empowerment and growth (me'uwnah), for indeed (ky) now ('attah) I know (yada' any) for certain (ky) you ('atah) have demonstrated utmost respect and reverence (yare') of Almighty God ('elohym), and that (wa) by association ('eth) you have not obstructed or prevented (lo' chasak 'atah) your one and only (yachyd 'atah) related son (ben 'atah 'eth) from (min) making thoughtful inquiries and insightful conclusions about (ma) Me ('any)."

One of the ways I check my accuracy is by comparing my translations to what is written in Yada Yah, and I think I came pretty close. Any suggestions and guidance for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Over time, the more I translate, words beginning with "ma" now leap out at me. More and more I relish the opportunity to dig much deeper (to "ma", if you will) into these compound words. This section of the Towrah does not disappoint.

For example, ma'akeleth is translated simply as knife in an earlier statement, but breaking it down we find a compound word comprising of ma—to ponder the who, what, where, when, why, and how of 'akal—to eat, with the suffix eth extending the verb to mean multiple, several, many of, plurality, majority, etc. Basically, a preponderance of the items related to the various aspects of a meal, including preparation, cooking, and eating. So, when we ponder upon the fuller meaning, ma'akeleth is far more than just the simple definition "knife" found in English translations, and probably also includes various other cooking and eating utensils, since this event was an observation of Pesech, complete with a celebratory meal to approach Yah.

In this statement we have two such compound words:
me'uwnah: commonly translated as "anything" but I have rendered it as "an example to ponder the full meaning of empowerment and growth" by breaking it down into ma--ponder the full meaning of 'own--everything related to empowering and growth of the concept, with ah making it a feminine noun. If I misunderstand, please let me know, but it really seems to fit this way.

mamam'any (מִמֶּֽנִּי): consisting of mem mem nun yowd, I saw min (from) ma (making thoughtful inquiries and insightful conclusions about ) 'any (Me), when it is normally rendered simply as "from Me". I found this one particularly insightful since it re-inforces Abrahams understanding of free-will, and the need for everyone to come to Yada Yah on their own terms. My commentary on this concept attempts to explain that "Abraham passed the test because he did not stand in the way of Yitschaq making his own inquiries and decision making processes regarding Yahowah (min ma 'any)".

Maybe I'm wrong, and I look forward to additional understanding and insights.

Shalowm 'ad 'owlam,
Mike