logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Devildog  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 1:53:55 AM(UTC)
Devildog

I thought this topic was put to bed long ago, but in my fellowship group, a woman wanted to see the reasonings. So I gathered together the pertinent information from YY, & FH and presented it to her. She was fine with it but it made me do a little digging and what I discovered confused me, so I wondered if someone could help. Here is the area of concern:

"Yahuweh does not want us to fear Him, because you cannot love what you fear. But you can revere whom you know and love. One is rational and right. The other is irrational and insane. Considering who they are serving, it's little wonder the clerics made the wrong choice. Since you cannot love what you fear, it is obvious that yare should always be translated "revere and/or respect" when used in reference to Yahuweh. To be absolutely certain we would understand this fundamental truth, Yahuweh inspired Isaiah to use yir'ah in the following verse in relation to the doctrines of fear taught by men. Yir'ah means fear, and that's all it means.

"Their fear (yir'ah) toward Me exists (hayah) because it is taught (lamad - learned, studied, acquired through the instruction of, is derived) from manmade traditions (iysh mitzvah - manmade commandments, human edicts and precepts) learned by rote." (Isaiah 29:13)

We must not fear God. He loves us and wants us to love Him in return. The fear of God is a manmade corruption, a human invention, a stifling and deadly abomination that leads to man appeasing this god through religion.."

Really? I used to think that also.

Job 28:28 And He said to man, ‘See, the fear(Yir'ah) of יהוה, that is wisdom, and to turn from evil is understanding.’ ”

Pro 15:33 The fear(Yir'ah) of יהוה is the discipline of wisdom, And before esteem is humility.

Pro 1:7 The fear(Yir'ah) of Yahweh is the beginning of knowledge:

For something to be true, no other verse should be able to refute it. I will have a hard time proclaiming that God doesn't want us to fear Him in the future after reading these. The word He used in every case presented was Yir'ah, so there is no question as to what was meant. To be honest, I am a little perplexed right now.

My son, if you accept my words, And treasure up my commands with you,
So that you make your ear attend to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment, Lift up your voice for understanding,
If you seek her as silver, And search for her as hidden treasures,
Then you would understand the fear of יהוה, Pro 2:1-5

eerrrrr. I do all of those things! My life is now entirely focused around Him. I go to sleep with Him on my mind and lips. I wake with Him on my mind and lips. I dive into His words every single day for no other reason than because I love to do it. After all, we have a lot of time to make up for. Yet I am now confused. Clearly, I am not doing something right, as this just said, as clear as words allow, that if I were doing things right, I'd understand this topic. I hope when this is hashed out, it can be added to the books for clarification because I feel this is crucial in enlarging His family-and that's the purpose.

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2008 4:05:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline shalom82  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 11:47:18 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
H3373
ירא
yârê'
yaw-ray'
From H3372; fearing; morally reverent: - afraid, fear (-ful).

H3374
יראהyir'âh
yir-aw'
Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

As has been stated before, DD, reverence is the key to the equation. This is only my opinion, but I think for every pound of reverence and respect there is to be an ounce of fear...or perhaps 2. I think sometimes that though I see the purpose of why YY says what it does about fear and reverence, I think that it overstates that fear cannot exist in the vacuum of love (my words). As we know YHWH gave us human relationships as a dress rehearsal for our relationship with him. I love my father, but when I was young I also feared him...a tiny bit. I revered him, worshipped him, wanted to be just like him. All I wanted to do was spend some time with him...go fishing, play baseball, take walks, take trips to the junkyard...whatever. I wanted to be in his world..see things from his P.O.V. At the same time I feared his justice. My father is not and never was a harsh man. He is and was fair, levelheaded, calm, and lenient to a fault. But I feared his innate authority and justice. I didn't want to displease him moreso because of my reverence, but in the back of my mind was the knowledge that a swat or raised voice could be a distinct possibility. At a certain point I stopped fearing my Mother...but all she had to do to keep me in line was tell me,"I'll tell your father about this when he gets home." I think I remember getting spanked maybe 2 times, but I knew what I was doing was wrong and I knew very well that my Father would be within his rights to discipline me. I think the fear comes from the fact that Yahuweh is Melech (king) ha olam (of the universe). He is not only our Father but our sovereign. In the realm we are in now as mortals the fear of Yahuweh comes from the fact that He is completely righteous and though His mercy outweighs His justice, He still does have and will execute perfect justice...we however are inherrently flawed and completely reliant on His mercy realizing that we are deserving of his justice. Paul/Shaul to paraphrase basically said we are to recieve our grace with trembling not with license. That's the paradox that I find so queer about mainline Christian thought...Fear God....but laugh in His face by mocking his commandments, make His name insignificant, and take his grace for granted....well I guess in that light I would be fearful too...come to think of it. I think another big equation of the fear factor is the fear of saddening, disappointing, and displeasing the One who is our Father...not as much the fear of the One. But understanding all of this YHWH is not a wizard of Oz elohim...like Allah...one who tries to strike terror in his creation and put up a blood curdling display for the sake of worship and indeed fear. The fear of Yahuweh serves a purpose...it's a means to an end...that we would walk uprightly and be blessed in the here and now and the olam haba. You know the old addage..."This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you". I think that YHWH has extreme displeasure in chastising, disciplining, and condemning people...infact I don't think...He says as much.

Eze 18:31 “Cast away from you all the transgressions, by which you have transgressed, and make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Yisra’ĕl?
Eze 18:32 “For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” declares the Master יהוה. “So turn back and live!”

But that doesn't mean He won't however....as we have seen from the record of the scriptures.

A healthy level of...wary respect is beneficial...but should that be the overriding factor in our relationship with YHWH?

YHWH Imakhem

Shalom

P.S. As it relates to Pro 1:7-Pro 1:7 The fear(Yir'ah) of Yahweh is the beginning of knowledge.

Those who despise YHWH, make Him insignificant or inconsequential...may think that have knowledge...but they are foolish and vain. These are the children who stick out their tongues and despise their parents...even when their parents are trying to give them discipline out of love...They feel completely justified in their actions and are so brimming with self righteousness that they are for all intensive purposes lost.

Those who take YHWH seriously, know His Word to be truth, revere Him, have a healthy level of respect for his power and his righteousness...and most of all love him...have opened the door to true knowledge.

Yirah as a whole for that reason seems to me that in our laymans terms...to take seriously...would be a good way to describe it.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Devildog  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:14:51 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Thanks for your time Shalom82. Are you suggesting the verses should read:

Job 28:28 And He said to man, ‘See, the moral reverence(Yir'ah) of יהוה, that is wisdom, and to turn from evil is understanding.’ ”

Pro 15:33 The morally reverence(Yir'ah) of יהוה is the discipline of wisdom, And before esteem is humility.

Pro 1:7 The morally reverence(Yir'ah) of Yahweh is the beginning of knowledge:

If this is the case, then YY needs to be edited as it says "Yir'ah means fear, and that's all it means". And then, of coarse, it would beg another question regarding Isaiah 29:13.
As for me, I will never "fear" Yahuweh. I just "know" it isn't right. Do I revere Him? Oooh yes. Intimidated? Maybe. OK-yes,but not in the sense that I worry about my well being, or afraid of a surprise outcome. Unless this is something that has kept you away from the Father, you may not understand how crucial it is. I find this extremely important, Shalom82, and simply wish I could convey this important truth to those who may be unaware of it with solid evidence and thus conviction. I am very green and have tons to learn so perhaps this will leap from the pages when He sees fit, as done on so many other occasions. Perhaps I need to understand the context of these quotes I listed (Job 28:28,
Pro 15:33 and Pro 1:7). They all seem to deal with "the beginning of knowledge". There may be something to that. Can we show this type of example where the context is different? If not, there is merit in investigating. Before I met Yada 7 years ago, I was agnostic. I was at a point in my life where I decided to make an informed choice, so it was great timing. Although I came from an atmosphere completely bereft of religion and the talk of God, I knew "something" inside me was "pulling at me"(don't know how else to describe it). I was the most ignorant fool on the planet regarding the topic, and it is because I was never willing to crack a book. I just had to know, so I began my journey. As luck(or not) would have it, Yada and Ken, were my first teachers. How cool is that? See, what I'm getting at is.....perhaps my condition and thoughts toward God prior to the first step in my journey could accurately be described as "Yirah".
If so, then it indeed was "the beginning of knowledge"

Edited by user Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:39:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:58:29 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello DD,

Yir'ah is a good thing! So is reverence! Both can keep you alive! I am glad that you found Yahweh through Yada and KP, just as I have via their writings. But I was drawn to it because of reverence of Truth, and fear of losing self. If I did not fear destruction, I would be a few coins short of a dollar in my noggin! I feared that the Creator will pass me over instead of hovering over me. I feared that His wrath upon the world may spill over into my lap. But reverence brought me closer to Him. I sought Him because I knew that He is Truth, and is an Elohim of Mercy and Compassion and does not want to destroy those whom He loves and who love Him. I learnt from young that He is Love, and He loves us in spite of what we are. So I began to love Him and revere Him and started seeking His Wisdom and understanding so that I may find peace within. And it was with this reverence of Him that I began to understand the things that are of Him. Hence my signature line. For some, Yir'ah is all there is in knowing Him, but that is just the first step leading to understanding Yahweh.

Shalom Aleichem
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Devildog  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:38:05 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Thank you Bitnet for taking the time to try and help me. I agree with your words but I wish to ask you this:

Considering your signature line, and that the verse you have selected there uses "Yirah", would you say the following sentence from YY is errant?

"Yir'ah means fear, and that's all it means. "

Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:41:45 AM(UTC)
kp

Bitnet, that was a great analysis of what it is to "fear" in the presence of Yahweh. It's not that we're afraid of Him (in so many words), it's that we're afraid of what can happen to us and to the world we have to live in if we or those near to us don't treat Him with due reverence. I think David was truly terrified when he prayed, "Take not your Holy Spirit from me." He'd see that very thing happen to Saul, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

It occurred to me that we might get a valuable lesson about yireh from studying 19th century mining techniques. Before the invention of dynamite, the best explosive one could use was nitro glycerine. (It was Nobel's dynamite that made nitro safe.) A miner tasked with extracting ore from a mountainside "loved" nitro glycerine, but he also "feared" it. It was extremely useful, but one had to handle it with respect---if he didn't, it could blow up at the most inopportune moments. Now if we can learn to handle a dumb chemical with respect while valuing it for the positive things it can do for us, why can't we find the same kind of balance with Yahweh? It is He who gives us the capacity to "move mountains" in our spiritual experience. But just because He seeks a warm, close relationship with us, we should not treat Him with flippant disregard or undue familiarity. Anybody remember the fifth commandment? People who treats Yahweh like a jackass treats a case of nitro glycerine are apt to discover that He, like the explosive, reserves the right to kick back.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:40:05 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom DD,

Since you asked, the line in YY is factual and not in error. Yir'ah means fear, but what does fear mean to each of us? I fear Yahweh's wrath but I know that if I believe and do as He says then I have nothing to worry about... for myself. But I also fear for others around me, especially those that are family that do not know Yahweh yet! But fear by itself does no good. What happens next? See Islam! A call for total submission that can be exploited! In the proper context, however, fear leads to respect and reverence as KP said above, and wisdom is the reward, and understanding and proper relationship is the result. We do not become too "Hey, buddy!" with Almighty Yahweh, but have a certain respect and awe for what He is and can do, just like a small child seeing the father swing a big axe to cut a tree down for firewood or bring down a deer during a hunt. Impressed you shall be, and you quickly learn to stay out of the way for fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Peace and Blessings!
Offline Devildog  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:46:50 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Quote:
Since you asked, the line in YY is factual and not in error.

Hi Bitnet,

The line you say is factual reads:""Yir'ah means fear, and that's all it means ", therefore why would anyone translate Yirah as "reverence" as you do in your signature line?

Quote:
Yir'ah means fear, but what does fear mean to each of us?

I don't see how it matters what it means to me or you. What's the definition of the word?

"Under the fear definition we find: "be afraid, be frightened, be in a state of great distress, be concerned over the infliction of pain or a dire circumstance, be intimidated."

"Under the revere definition we find: "reverence, vererate, show profound respect for someone, honor someone with status and authority, revere one's parents."

Night and day. I don't buy it for a second that they mean the same-sorry. Infact, they are opposites.

Quote:
In the proper context, however, fear leads to respect and reverence as KP said above

I don't buy that either. Seeing Dad swing the axe is cool. You may have respect and reverance for him for doing that, but you only have "fear" when there is an element of unstability in him whereas he may do something to you with or w/o the axe. Yahuweh isn't unstable,unjust, or unfair. He will never "lose it" -thus I have zero fear of God.
Offline Icy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:10:26 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
From an online Hebrew-English dicionary

ירא (yare)
adj. fearful, dreadful; respecting, venerating

יראה (yirah)
nf. fear, terror, fearfulness; awe, reverence

Looks to me like they both mean fear and reverence.

I decided to look further for the hebrew word, and found this site that translates the word יראה as yireh, which means "to see":

יראה
Quote:
(yir-eh)
The base word is the verb ראה (ra-ah) meaning to see. The prefix י (y) identifies the subject of the verb as third person, masculine, singular, imperfect tense (he will see).

From the same site:

Quote:
The phrase "it shall be provided" is the word יראה (same word here) but pronounced yera'eh due to the vowel pointings in the Masoretic text.

How many other ways can we add vowels to יראה and form words? Maybe the word is not yirah at all.

Let's look at the english words:

Quote:
fear
–noun
1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights.
3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
4. reverential awe, esp. toward God. (I think this definition only arrised out of mistranslation or a failed concept).
5. that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid: Cancer is a common fear.
–verb (used with object) 6. to regard with fear; be afraid of.
7. to have reverential awe of. (same as above)
8. Archaic. to experience fear in (oneself).
–verb (used without object) 9. to have fear; be afraid.

[Origin: bef. 900; ME fere, OE fær sudden attack or danger; c. OS fār ambush, D gevaar, G Gefahr danger, ON fār disaster]

—Synonyms 1. apprehension, consternation, dismay, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation. Fear, alarm, dread all imply a painful emotion experienced when one is confronted by threatening danger or evil. Alarm implies an agitation of the feelings caused by awakening to imminent danger; it names a feeling of fright or panic: He started up in alarm. Fear and dread usually refer more to a condition or state than to an event. Fear is often applied to an attitude toward something, which, when experienced, will cause the sensation of fright: fear of falling. Dread suggests anticipation of something, usually a particular event, which, when experienced, will be disagreeable rather than frightening: She lives in dread of losing her money. The same is often true of fear, when used in a negative statement: She has no fear she'll lose her money. 6. apprehend, dread.

Quote:
rev·er·ence
noun, verb, -enced, -enc·ing.
–noun
1. a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.
2. the outward manifestation of this feeling: to pay reverence.
3. a gesture indicative of deep respect; an obeisance, bow, or curtsy.
4. the state of being revered.
5. (initial capital letter) a title used in addressing or mentioning a member of the clergy (usually prec. by your or his).
–verb (used with object) 6. to regard or treat with reverence; venerate: One should reverence God and His laws.

[Origin: 1250–1300; ME < L reverentia respect, fear, awe. See revere1, -ence]

—Related forms
rev·er·enc·er, noun

—Synonyms 1. honor, esteem. 6. revere, honor, adore.

In English, as least, these are two totally different concepts. Fear and reverence/awe do not go together, it is impossible. I wonder if the Hebrew words ever meant fear originally, or if that is something that came to be later. Is that just a failed concept in our translating?
Offline Icy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:46:15 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

I didn't even think of that, Swalchy. Chances are pretty good that you are right.
Offline bitnet  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:37:53 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Herein lies out problem... translations are not always very good at getting to the meaning of words completely, and language evolves. So if Yir'ah is fear, then it does mean fear. But that is just an accepted translation in some of the passages! Now, knowing Yahweh as we do, it is possible that the translation should read as Ya're. The possibility of this duality may be a reason why the Hebrew consonants were chosen. Language etymology and semantics aside, it is somewhat good if you do not fear Yahweh, and you probably do not fear what He shall do to you personally, DD as it means that you do walk well with Him and fully trust Him and yourself. I feel that He watches over me as well but I fear losing Him in this stage for I am still mortal and prone to sin. Unlike you, I still do fear Yahweh somewhat! Your confidence is a reflection of your spiritual maturity and I wish to be as confident as you or the apostles sometime in the near future. But I still think of our history as fallible humans, and if we had been in Yahudah when Assyria was attacking Yisra'el and saw it as Yahweh's punishment, don't tell me you would not fear Yahweh? Our angry Elohim is not to be trifled with! I have not been belted by my parents but they have swung a cane now a few times when I was a child and it was part of disciplining. If you have never faced an angry parent before then perhaps you have not known how to fear someone whom you love and who loves you deeply. But this fear eventually minimises and love and respect takes the lead. Thus when the Hebrew word is read as Ya're then it matures into a different meaning, leading to a more developed line of thought and a matured emotional response whereby a person can be motivated to think and do something positive. So to answer your question properly, Yir'ah means fear and does not contradict Yada, but I chose Ya're in my signature line because it has been my experience.

Shalom Aleichem

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:18:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Icy  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 2:50:55 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Bitnet, if what I quoted above about יראה being translated yireh instead of yirah and it means "to see", then your signiture line could be, "Seeing Yahuweh is the beginning of Wisdom." And would that not be the truth? If you don't see him, or are not aware of his existence, then you can neither revere or fear him.
Offline Devildog  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 3:00:05 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Quote:
I wonder if the Hebrew words ever meant fear originally, or if that is something that came to be later. Is that just a failed concept in our translating?

Quote:
This is also assuming that the Masoretic Hebrew for the verses quoted are correct.

Unfortunately none of the verses quoted (Job 28:28, Pro 15:33,Pro 1:7) are found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

You guys rock. Thanks so much for giving me different perspectives on this. Clearly, I have some work to do.
Offline Icy  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 3:47:47 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

That's the foremost thing to keep in mind, that the Maoretic vowel pointings can not always be trusted. Remember that there were no vowels in the originals. So, when we look at a word, we need to look at all the different vowel combinations with those letters. Yada has shown this many times in YY, if I remember correctly.
Offline bitnet  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 4:18:07 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello Everyone!

Touche! All of you are on the dot! It could be read in a few different ways and your experiences may define the word for you. Seeing without believing is pointless, and is believing without obeying. A hearty respect for Yahweh and a willingness to be corrected shall lead to the uncovering of more Truth. I think my signature stands.

Shabbat Shalom!
Offline kp  
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:08:16 PM(UTC)
kp

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just ran across (again) a passage in which yare (the verb form related to the noun Yir'ah) really does mean "be afraid." It's in a Millennial passage from Isaiah: "All your children shall be taught by Yahweh, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you [Israel] shall be established; You shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear (yare); And from terror, for it shall not come near you." (Isaiah 54:14) Bottom line: We've gotta pay attention to the context, and use the brains God gave us.

kp