logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FF  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:03:19 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Does anyone have more information on the Ten Commandments?

After listening to Yada interviewed by Daniel Ott on The Edge AM Aug. O5 I have been looking for and researching each word trying to find the real meaning behind Yahweh's Writings, Statements or what we call His Ten Commandment.

Were the first tablets the same as the second and why are there two or more different renderings? It looks like there are 14 or 15 commandments in Exodus. How are they really divided? Deuteronomy version is different than Exodus version? Are these the Tablets of the Covenant? Some scholars say Gentile's do not follow the Ten Commandment rather Noah's Seven Laws??? BOY OH BOY does this get thick???

Does anyone have more insight?

FF

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2008 9:42:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FF
Offline FF  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 9:40:06 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

OK, OK, I get it this string is to hard so lets start with this question...

Is it Ethical Decalogue rather than the Ritual Decalogue or both???

FF
FF
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:47:36 AM(UTC)
kp

Okay, I'll wade in. Problem is, it would take a book to get to the bottom of the subject. And I haven't written it. Yet :-)

Basically, I'd say the Decalogue does work on two levels, but they're not "Ethical" and "Ritual" but rather "Practical" and "Symbolic." Yes, we should do all the things the way the plain language says to (although I still don't know what "taking the name of the Lord my God in vain" means in English). Don't carve idols; keep the Sabbath day set apart; treat your mom and dad with respect; don't steal stuff...

But we also need to look beneath the surface at the spiritual truths Yahweh is communicating to us: When He says, "Don't commit adultery," besides saying not to have sex with people who aren't your spouse, He's saying "I am your husband. Be faithful to me in your affections, your affiliations, your attention, your devotion, your desires. Don't look outside our relationship for fulfillment, or pleasure, or fruitfulness, or provision." Similar side-by-side comparisons are valid for each of the "Ten Suggestions." (What a funny topic title, FF.) Anybody else care to wade in with comparisons of the practical with the symbolic?

kp
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:51:59 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shalom FF,

Great topic. I had hoped kp would start this one out and to my happiness, he did. I think I have to be careful not to extrapolate or stretch the word, but I will take the invitation by kp and stab at a couple of the commandments.

Do not murder. Obviously, this commandment has a very practical side...that I don't think we need to go into much. But it would be better to murder a person in a physical sense...to end their temporal lives than to murder them spiritually. Moshe and Dawid were both murderers...but they both emerged from their sordid pasts in one way or another. Physical murder even though it is heinous is forgivable...and not the worst of sins. I am not so sure about spiritual murder. To condemn a person to oblivion or torment is heavy. Let's see how you fare on YHWH's scales of justice. Shaul played his part in murdering the Qodeshim...in that regard was the chief of sinners, but he only killed their temporary vessels...not their souls.

Do not covet. As we see from this commandment we are not to covet anything our neighbor possesses. For Yisrael this meant their next door neighbors but could it have also meant their national neighbors as well? Don't covet your neighbor's wife...perhaps a spiritual allusion considering that marital adultery was a spiritual picture of committing adultery against YHWH. But we are not to covet anything of theirs. Their homes, their vinyards, their animals...and so on and so forth. Once you begin to covet things of another people group you get sucked in. You always see those shows on discovery channel where some American is learning some martial art from an Asian...say a Japanese...and they swallow all the buddhist aspects hook line and sinker. "Boy, these Moabites sure do know how to grow grapes!...maybe there is something to this Ba'al Peor!" We are not to covet their idols, their fesivals, their feasts, their delicacies, their rituals, their convocations....nothing.

Incidentally, Jews in recent history have had a terrible time dealing with their children when it comes to Christmas. This is a time when (in the diaspora) the world is a whore to the perspective of a child. Everything is about them and for them. How could a child not covet Christmas? There's the beauty, the glitz, the excess, the presents, the sweets! This has led to the christmasizing of Hanukkah....now there are Hanukkah bushes, big blow up Hanukkiyahs for the front yard, eight days of gifts...most of this has been modified to compete with Christmas. Hanukkah was a memorial festival that though exceedingly joyful was also filled with profound sadness and gravity...as it is with most of the Jewish memorials and even some of the Miqrym. Now it is the festival of lights! Goodwill to all men and peace on earth...religious tolerance....blah blah blah...

Now that is not to say that the commandment completely rejects foreigners. But, a foreigner has to come in on YHWH's terms. Ruth the Moabitess is one of the precedents for what I mean. Was that to say that Ruth didn't make a bit of Moabite cuisine for Boaz every now and then...perhaps...as long as it was scriptually clean...and Boaz probably said....mmm...this is good, woman. YHWH has blessed me with a smokin' hot lover and a gourmet chef all in one pretty package"...he didn't say...Wowo, Ruth, you're a beauty and this Moab food is da bomb...there's something to this Molech/Chemosh for you to be blessed like this...tell you what...I bet you miss home...let's set up an idol in the living room....or for that matter Boaz's neighbor looking upon Boaz's life and deciding that the Moabite way was for him...going and getting an idol worshipping wife and living it up like a Moabite...based on his desire for all things Moab.

YHWH bless you

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline bitnet  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:02:50 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Everybody,

I'll keep it brief for now before I step out for lunch. The 10 Commandments as I see it is the basic structure upon which all of what KP writes in The Owner's Manual hangs. These can be separated into basically two sections: relationship with Yahweh and relationship with fellow man. The first four concern our relationship with Yahweh, the next six with our neighbour. Just following these basic precepts will set us right as they reflect what Yahushua distilled into His words: Love Yahweh with all your heart, and love your neighbour. It is not too difficult to share these precepts and the message of the coming Kingdom of Yahweh. Therefore, there is no mystery in knowing what our Creator wants us to do and we can communicate this with anyone. As we expound each commandment, we will get into the details of how best to observe each commandment, and perhaps more importantly, why. If anyone came up with the KISS (keep it simple, s___) formula, it must have been Yahweh for He knows that we are bound to mess it up any other way. In fact, even in keeping it simple we still mess up. DUH!

Peace and Blessings!

Edited by user Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:36:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline FF  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:25:18 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

WOW, thank you for wading in KP, shalom and bitnet... Any one want to jump in to the River... only a suggestion???

Putting Yahweh back in the wording of the suggestions opens the door for thinking maybe they are Commandments.

Commandment that do not save but are good for you in practical and maybe even more symbolic to peoples new found relationship with knowing Yahweh the Mighty One Yahushua and being His Called Out or out called, set-apart Messianic Anointed.

Working for and with Dad was a very good choice.

FF

FF
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:21:12 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

bitnet wrote:
Shalom Everybody,

I'll keep it brief for now before I step out for lunch. The 10 Commandments as I see it is the basic structure upon which all of what KP writes in The Owner's Manual hangs. These can be separated into basically two sections: relationship with Yahweh and relationship with fellow man. The first four concern our relationship with Yahweh, the next six with our neighbour. Just following these basic precepts will set us right as they reflect what Yahushua distilled into His words: Love Yahweh with all heart, and love your neighbour. It is not too difficult to share these precepts and the message of the coming Kingdom of Yahweh. Therefore, there is no mystery in knowing what our Creator wants us to do and we can communicate this with anyone. As we expound each commandment, we will get into the details of how best to observe each commandment, and perhaps more importantly, why. If anyone came up with the KISS (keep it simple, s___) formula, it must have been Yahweh for He knows that we are bound to mess it up any other way. In fact, even in keeping it simple we still mess up. DUH!

Peace and Blessings!

And once again I agree with Mr Bitnet. :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline SsosPeter  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:04:51 AM(UTC)
SsosPeter

Well Shalom everyone,
I'll try to fill in what i think of the Ten Commandments. One thing i learnt is that Yahweh does not explain some things to man but it takes Wisdom to understand what He meant. Take an example; Do not steal! It means if you steal, from your neighbor,then you will not have peace around you causing your neighbor to do harm on you. But that Yahweh never explained. So the Devil will cause your neighbor as an instrument of attack on you. Now when Yahushua said keeping grudge in your heart is equivalent to murder, it is meant for us to guard our hearts that Satan will not enter our hearts, to cause us to do the bigger thing of murdering others. You know for some one to do something evil, big enough, he starts with simple ideas from the devil, and later as Satan gains ground in one's heart to cause visible signs of sin.
However these can also apply to the Spiritual bit of it.
Shalom to everyone
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:53:31 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

SsosPeter wrote:
Well Shalom everyone,
I'll try to fill in what i think of the Ten Commandments. One thing i learnt is that Yahweh does not explain some things to man but it takes Wisdom to understand what He meant. Take an example; Do not steal! It means if you steal, from your neighbor,then you will not have peace around you causing your neighbor to do harm on you. But that Yahweh never explained. So the Devil will cause your neighbor as an instrument of attack on you. Now when Yahushua said keeping grudge in your heart is equivalent to murder, it is meant for us to guard our hearts that Satan will not enter our hearts, to cause us to do the bigger thing of murdering others. You know for some one to do something evil, big enough, he starts with simple ideas from the devil, and later as Satan gains ground in one's heart to cause visible signs of sin.
However these can also apply to the Spiritual bit of it.
Shalom to everyone

very nicely explained :)

Welcome to the forum Peter!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline FF  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:19:49 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Greetings Most Beloved of Yah,

Well it is that time of year again and I am thinking about the TEN SUGGESTIONS again.

Thank you kp, shalom82, bitnet, Robskiwarrior and Ssospeter for posting the last time I ask this question…

Now that we all have a little more information and understanding let us re-address this subject a word at a time...

The reason I bring up this suggestion is that most of my christian friends ignore the first four Commandments as suggestions mostly because they do not really know Yahweh personally or Yahweh’s Name or Yahweh’s Salvations Name, Yahweh’s Word/Torah or Yahweh’s Sabbath. Speaking of being a christian, after 30+ years learning and teaching christendom I have repented/Metanoeo, changed my thinking and ask Yahweh to forgive all my christian practices that were an abomination to Him that I once practiced and said I did them in HIS Name, AMEN.

Of coarse I was church taught that Grace covered everything even if what I was taught did not make reasonable sense even though I was ask to believe the teaching whether it was or was only partly Scriptural or was very contradictory to Scripture. What I mean by this statement is some NT canonized books I found used snippets of the Torah but twisted the outcome of the text to please a religious or political or personal agenda????????

Personally I have noticed that researching the Ten Words in the English text usually has a human twist instead of Yah’s wisdom and understanding.

Now all that being said, should spark some interest in discussing this topic of The Ten Suggestions plus cause us all to stop and check our attitudes, opinions’, actions, and beliefs/Metanoeo???

Halleluyah, Thank you for replying in advance,

FF
FF