logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tiffany  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:51:38 PM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

This is an email conversation between Yada and I, because I was wondering when Yahweh revealed his name to the people and when it was first used in scripture. So see what Yada wrote and any other insight that you might have to my question would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Tiffany

Quote:
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:38 PM
To: Yada Yahweh
Subject: Where is the first mention of Yahuweh?

Good Morning Yada,

I was wondering where the first mention of Yahuweh was in Scripture? Who was the first person to have the name revealed to them? I have a friend who tells me that it was not until Moses but then I look and find it was mentioned to Abraham but how did Abraham know his name? Please help!!

Thanks

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

Yahweh’s name first appears in Genesis 2. From that point on Yah’s name is the most oft repeated in Scripture—appearing 7,000 times. Based upon the way it is used in Genesis, it seems likely that Adam, Chawah, and their sons up through Noah called God Yahuweh.

Abraham’s dealings with Babylon , Haran , and later Egypt , and the subsequent enslavement of the Israelites in Egypt , would have made knowing and using the name a problem. The Babylonian and Egyptian sungod religions would have used it and applied their pagan traits to it. This is exactly what the Canaanites did, for example. While Yahweh’s name is repeated hundreds of times in the Genesis presentation of the Covenant with Abraham, it’s possible that God used Yah, Yahushua, or just His title, Elohiym (Mighty One), when dealing with Abraham.

It wasn’t until the Yahuwdym were set apart in the Promised Land that knowing and using Yah’s name was universally beneficial. That said, the one verse which suggests that Abraham didn’t call God Yahuweh is problematic. There are issues with Masoretic tampering and also with inaccurate translation. If I haven’t covered this passage already in the book, I’ll deal with it when I do my edit pass of the first Abraham chapter.

Since Genesis was dictated to Moses as you know, we know that he knew Yah’s name. Moshe asked for and was given Yahuweh’s name at the time he was called to duty. From that point on, knowing and using Yahweh’s name remains essential. And that’s all that really matters.

Yada

Edited by user Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:27:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:28:26 AM(UTC)
kp

The verse to which Yada referred is Exodus 6:3, "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name Yahweh I was not known to them." Compare this to Exodus 3:15, "Moreover God said to Moses, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: "The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations."'" Since Moses wrote the whole record, he rightly used Yahweh's name throughout, whether the patriarchs knew it or not.

kp
Offline Tiffany  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:17:00 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

kp,

Since Moses wrote Genesis and that being the case does that allow Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to have the same kind of relationship with Yahuweh that those that are set-apart? Because when my friend brought it up my thought was of course Abraham knew his name because it says he was a friend of Yahuweh, so can you really be friends with Yah and not know his name? Does that change the importance of the name, when some of the biggest players in scripture did not know his name? Why did Yah hide his name?

Tiffany
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:27:10 AM(UTC)
kp

Beats me, guys. All I know is what I read in scripture. I just consulted with the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, but unfortunately, the verse is in shreds, with the salient bits missing. All we've got is two words: "I...them."

On the other hand, what if it were a question? The Scriptures translation renders it: "And I appeared to Abraham, to Yitshaq, and to Ya'aqob as El Shaddai. And by My Name YHWH, was I not known to them?" Odd, but plausible.

kp
Offline Mike_Browell  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:08:39 AM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

Peace and Happiness Everyone,

kp wrote:

On the other hand, what if it were a question? The Scriptures translation renders it: "And I appeared to Abraham, to Yitshaq, and to Ya'aqob as El Shaddai. And by My Name YHWH, was I not known to them?" Odd, but plausible.

kp

I was always under the impression that this was the correct translation of that verse (without any proof, of course). But I feel the verse Gen 4:26 And to Shĕth, to him also a son was born. And he called his name Enosh. Then it was begun to call on the Name of יהוה ISR

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell
Offline bitnet  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:30:34 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello Everyone!

Regarding the name... I did a bit of thinking and without any Scripture to fall back on (sounds dangerous, doesn't it?) I thought how Yahweh would have introduced himself to Adam and Chavah. I'd assume He did tell them His name. Would this be fair? If He did then His name would have been passed on from generation to generation, and those who honoured their father and mother on earth would have remembered the name as well. Now we know that there aren't too many generations till Noah, and not too many in between Noah and Abraham. Would the name of the Creator and Saviour have been lost so easily? I doubt it. (Even the dreamtime stories of the Australian aborigines have survived for centuries without a writing and an oral tradition.) So perhaps a "simple" thing like that -- a remembrance of salvation through the Great Flood passed on to generation after generation that were somewhat obedient to their parents -- plus the proper translation above would have explained how Abraham knew Elohim and walked with Him and kept His precepts and commandments.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline kp  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 4:01:14 AM(UTC)
kp

Perhaps you're right, bitnet. But remember, Abram was born in Ur of the Chaldeans---Sin city, literally: his neighbors worshiped the moon god Sin there. So even if Adam, and men up through Noah's time, knew Yahweh's name, it doesn't necessarily follow that this knowledge was retained by all mankind up until Abram's day, especially after the mystery religion of Babylon was instituted and the tongues of men were divided at the tower of Babel. I'm not saying it didn't happen; I'm only saying that it's hard to know for sure.

kp
Offline wonderful  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:48:57 AM(UTC)
wonderful

Kp
In KJV Exodus 6:3 does not say "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah(YHWH) I WAS NOT known to them."
but rather it reads

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah (YHWH) WAS I NOT known to them.

That absolutely looks like a question to me.

Wonderful
Offline shalom82  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:10:06 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
what about Yahudah? If the etymology is correct as to the meaning then wouldn't that mean that at least Ya'aqob knew the name...making the rendering, "...I was not known to them." rather problematic and contradicary. It does have Yud Heh Waw as all of the other Yahwistic names. I also have read that Yosef was a contraction of Yahuseph...just as Yochanan is contraction of Yahuchanan.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.