logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bitnet  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2008 9:59:53 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello All,

I came across this on the web (http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Humor/Jokes_Set_3/jokes_set_3.html) and perhaps it is how we got to where we are today...

Kashrut (Laws concerning dietary restrictions)

God: And remember, Moses, in the laws of keeping Kosher, never cook a calf in its mother's milk. It is cruel.

Moses: So you are saying we should never eat milk and meat together.

God: No, what I'm saying is, never cook a calf in its mother's milk.

Moses: Oh Lord, forgive my ignorance! What you are really saying is we should wait six hours after eating meat to eat milk so the two are not in our stomachs.

God: No, Moses, listen to me. I am saying, don't cook a calf in its mother's milk!!!

Moses: Oh, Lord! Please don't strike me down for my stupidity! What you mean is we should have a separate set of dishes for milk and a separate set for meat and if we make a mistake we have to bury that dish outside....

God: Moses, do whatever you want...

The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2008 10:18:00 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
LOL
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:48:36 AM(UTC)
kp

That's hilarious, bitnet. Now you know why I wrote The Owner's Manual---'cause as funny as that is, it's no joke.

kp
Offline jojocc  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:10:39 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Isn't it a kid? (not the kindergarten variety)
Offline Heretic Steve  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:53:36 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

What I find interesting, is why one would want to cook a calf in it's mother's milk in the first place. Why would this even occur to somebody? Was it some sort of Bab/mithraic rite?
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline shalom82  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:50:20 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It was a Canaanite/Egyptian ritual. They took a kid (yes it was a kid) and boiled it IN IT'S MOTHER'S MILK. They then poured the tasty...or perhaps not so tasty broth on their fields as a ritual so that their God's would bless them with abundant harvests.

So this prohibition works on many levels. On the basic most apparent level it is a practical prohibition on paganism.
In my opinion it is a mitzvah that teaches kindness to animals. Yes animals are here for our use, yes we can consume them, and they can help us with our labors and burdens, but they still are Yah's creatures and you shouldn't just see them as inconsequential or completely lacking in sympathy...have a little heart...boiling a kid in it's own mother's milk?...that's heartless...for obvious reasons.

Then there is a more spiritual side to this mitzvah. This is what kp has to say about that part of the deal.

Quote:
"You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk." It’s a parent-child illustration--again. And again, it’s a Messianic prophecy with an instructive principle attached. The "mother" once again represents Yahweh’s Spirit in this illustration, and the "young goat" represents the Messiah, specifically in His role as sin-bearer in our stead. And the "milk" is that which comes from the Spirit to sustain us, to help us grow, to keep us healthy--it’s nothing short of God’s holy Word. So what is the mitzvah telling us? We are never to use God’s Word as a weapon against God’s work. Ironically, the Jews have made a contact sport out of this very practice for thousands of years, and we just saw a classic example of it. Another example: TV preachers whose "ministries" have more to do with funding than with fundamental truth. Another: sects or denominations that use a few carefully selected passages to create doctrines and dogma designed to subjugate, control, and fleece the would-be faithful. Another: politicians who piously play the "Christian card," wooing the religious right while sacrificing the clear precepts of Yahweh on the altar of political expediency. Another: businessmen who think of the church or synagogue merely as fertile fields for new commercial contacts. I think you get the picture.

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.