logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nagantmosin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:17:30 PM(UTC)
nagantmosin

In What Manner Should We Pray?

Dani'el was a man greatly loved by Yahuweh. We should follow his example and pray as he did:

Dan 6:10 And Dani’el, when he knew that the writing was signed, went home and in his upper room with his windows open toward Yerushalayim he knelt down on his knees three times a day, and prayed and gave thanks before his Elah, as he had done before.

1.) He faced toward Yerushalayim when he prayed. If you believe that Yahuweh has chosen Yerushalayim as the place where He will dwell, then facing toward Yerushalim when you pray is a physical testimony to your belief. Also, Shelomoh asked Yahuweh if He would hear the prayers of His people when they prayed toward Yerushalayim: the answer was yes! (see 1 Kings 8&9).

2.) He knelt down on His knees when he prayed.

As did Shelomoh:
2Ch 6:13 for Shelomoh had made a bronze platform five cubits long, and five cubits broad, and three cubits high, and had put it in the midst of the court. And he stood on it, and knelt down on his knees before all the assembly of Yisra’el, and spread out his hands toward the heavens –

As did Kepha:
Act 9:40 But Kepha sent them all out, and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said, “Taḇitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and seeing Kĕpha, she sat up

As did Shaul:
Act 20:36 And having said this, he knelt down and prayed with them all.

3.) Dani'el prayed in this manner three times a day.

As did Dawid:
Psa 55:17 Evening and morning and at noon I complain and moan, And He hears my voice.

4.) Daniel was not ashamed or afraid to pray to Yahuweh in this manner, regardless of the consequences:

Dan 6:10 And Dani’el, when he knew that the writing was signed, went home and in his upper room with his windows open toward Yerushalayim he knelt down on his knees three times a day, and prayed and gave thanks before his Elah, as he had done before.

What writing was signed?
Dan 6:7 “All the governors of the reign, the nobles and viceroys, the counsellors and advisors, have consulted together to establish a royal decree and to make a strong interdict, that whoever petitions any elah or man for thirty days, except you, O sovereign, is thrown into the den of lions.

Yahuweh give us the dedication, love and courage of Dani'el!

Favor and peace to you,
Chandler

Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:57:09 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Nag, I like your information but I am wondering if this would lead to other problems later on. You see, even though I do not drop to my knees three times a day, I have so much of Yahweh on my mind almost all the time that I am beginning to talk to Him even when I am driving, or in the bathroom, or when I am walking, or at many other times. It is hard to limit communication with Yahweh when one has the Set-Apart Spirit inside. Will kneeling make prayer more appealing to Yahweh?

Are you also implying that we should face Yahrushalayim today? If so, why? And how? Do you know that Muslims use the kiblat -- a little arrow found in the ceiling or floor -- to face the direction of Mecca? If you are in, say, Indonesia do you know where you actually face if you are one degree off? (Golf players can tell you that one degree off over a 100 metre drive can land you in the nearest trap or woods, let alone thousands of miles.)

By all means, kneel if you like, prostrate if you must, three times or five times or seven times if you will. But I think that Yahushua showed that the prayer was more important and that we can approach Yahweh at any time from any direction in any situation.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 4:06:27 AM(UTC)
kp

In what manner should we pray? I think you're both right. The kneeling Nagantmosin advocates is not for Yahweh---it's for us, a means of pointedly demonstrating our humility before God. I can't imagine a position in which we would be more focused on our conversation with God. At the same time, Paul admonishes us to "Pray without ceasing," something that can't be done if we restrict our prayer to a kneeling position. Making our needs and praise and confession known unto God---the whole process of communication---shouldn't be restricted to a time, place, or body position. It should be a running conversation with our Father, one in which we listen as well as talk. If you're looking for scriptural precedent, the quick prayer of Nehemiah (2:4), offered while he was in the middle of an audience with King Artaxerxes, will serve nicely. Nehemiah engaged in "formal" prayer as well, of course. Both "styles" of prayer are valid.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 6:18:55 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Thanks KP. That was actually my point when I said that you can choose the way you pray, whether you sit, stand, kneel, prostrate flat on the ground... depending on the situation and the severity of the prayer. Yahushua knelt in the Garden and prayed until He perspired blood. The there is your example of Nehemiah, and Moshe was probably standing when he had to ask for direction and instruction. Still others lay flat on the ground. I only felt that it should not be a doctrine to pray three times a day on our knees facing Yahrushalayim.
Offline shalom82  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 3:49:48 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Personally I do both, and yes bitnet...I don't know if prayer is the right word for my personal situation but Yahuweh is on the brain so much that it's like I am praying without ceasing. Sometimes in our emphasis (which is a very correct emphasis) that Yahuweh desires relationship and informality we forget that Yahuweh is not only a nurtering Father, and a loving Friend. He is also a King...albeit a righteous, just, loving King with no need for putting on airs or pomp....but a King nonetheless.

Shalom Aleichem

As for the issue of praying towards Jerusalem...there's enough scriptual evidence that it's not a bad idea...I'm not opposed to it. Personally I have never done it...but considering what has happened and what will happen there...if it helps you to be in the right frame of mind...great, wonderful, super dooper....I guess you just have to follow where the spirit is leading you. Perhaps after the Jubilee of Mashiach this will be the norm.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline shalom82  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 10:35:57 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
definitely agreed
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:01:36 AM(UTC)
bitnet

You guys rock! You see, in the past several people had hinted that Yahushua's followers must do things this way or that way and this began a culture of separation amongst the followers. People tended to look at the differences, not realising that the differences are not the real issue. What if a person is blind, has a severe injury or is crippled and cannot kneel? Then a list of exceptions will crop up for this type or that type... and before you know it there are so many exceptions for just about everything else. How do you think these modern (and perhaps ancient) churches spring up? Doctrines must be of sound mind and of the Set-Apart Spirit if they are to be taught, and I really appreciate it when we individually and collectively acknowledge The Sacrifice, the Set-Apart Spirit, the Set-Apart City and Yahweh's Kingship... and also each other. But after seeing how the Muslims shake each other to the mosques to pray 5 times a day whether they like to or not, it gives me the creeps when I see something similar in idea, hence my response. No offence, Nag, it's just me trying to clarify my thoughts.

Dany'El acknowledged all that he knew and understood, and I believe he responded properly and accordingly regarding the edict that was passed by the king. We would probably do the same if something like that was passed by Congress or Parliament... probably fall flat even! And in the future, when everyone knows the way to Zion they will look towards Zion for instruction and guidance. But it still does not mean that they would need to face that way three times a day or else they won't get an answer. ;-)
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:26:02 AM(UTC)
kp

Just to put things in perspective, if you live in French Polynesia (in the middle of the South Pacific), any direction you face is "toward Jerusalem." That is, calculating the great circle route, you're about the same distance from Zion no matter what direction you're pointed. My point is that "facing Jerusalem" is a matter of the heart's attitude, not geography. Yahweh has made it ground zero for His plan of redemption: we would be ungrateful not to take notice. But personally, I think it's more important to pray for Jerusalem than toward it.

kp
Offline Tiffany  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:49:22 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

I agree with KP, its really is a matter of the heart. Also for the pure fact that the globe is round and we will be able to face "towards Jerusalem" !!