logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 7:47:10 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
“You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am Yahweh.” (Leviticus 19:28)

What is your opinion on this verse? Is tattooing a taboo in Yahuweh's book?...har har...I just got that myself

My conclusion is that it is. I on occasion see clips of Miami ink or L.A. ink. (I know I know...kill the boobtube...I am trying) I see that often these people are getting tattoos to memorialize family members and friends. They may not do it out of any religiousity but is that not specifically what the spirit of Lev. 19:28 was? They are marking themselves for the dead. Then another thing they do is idolize a culture or a person or an idea. Tribal Tattoos anyone? I saw some young guy get a tattoo of Beethoven on his chest...Why? Often people who get tattoos talk about what a spiritual process it is...or some kind of rite of passage. Pain is not spiritual for the sake of pain. They have their own little tattoo sub culture and clique. From what I see anything goes in this clique. It's all about doing what feels right for the individual. I can't speak for everybody but I have seen some pretty dark things put on peoples bodies. They get skulls...which tells me they are enamoured with death, perhaps naked women...which speaks of an obsession the the physical world. Many people get the adversary...everything from disgusting overtly evil displays to playful little naughty devils...which shows me that they either fully ascribe and or are fascinated with the Luciferians or that they have been completely decieved by the adversary about his nature and purpose. They get dice and 8 balls and luck be a lady. That shows me they believe in those concepts that are opposed to blessing and grace. Then there are people who get tattoos of crosses or the Messiah's head with a crown of thorns or other religious themes. They say they want to advertize their spirituality or that somehow it brings them closer to Yahuweh. (God in all cases)

But they are then in direct violation of this little ditty:
"Indeed, when you are led into, and are included in, the land associated with Yahuweh your Elohiym, that was given to you, you shall not accept, teach, imitate, be trained in, instruct, be accustomed to, disciple others in, perform, commit to, observe, celebrate, profit from, bring about, ordain, or institute any of the disgusting religious ways, abhorrent rites, detestable idolatrous things, repulsive and loathsome rituals, or abominable festivals of these Gentile nations."
Deut. 18:9

They are though perhaps trying to worship the Elohim of Israel are using the methods of the Goyim...which according to this verse and several others of the same stripe is a no no.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 5:09:36 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just posted what kp said in TOM about this in a different topic a few days ago, here it is again:

kp discussed tatoos and Levtitcus 19:28 in TOM Chapter 9, Mitzot 347 and 348:

Quote:
(347) Do not cut oneself or make incisions in one’s flesh in grief, like the idolaters. “You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am Yahweh.” (Leviticus 19:28) “You are the children of Yahweh your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave the front of your head for the dead. For you are a holy people to Yahweh your God, and Yahweh has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.” (Deuteronomy 14:1-2) God is not talking about fashion here—earrings and the like. He’s warning against self mutilation done in the name of religion. The classic Biblical illustration is in I Kings 18, where Elijah challenged the priests of Ba’al to a “prophets’ duel” to demonstrate once and for all whose god was really God. “And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, ‘Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.’ So they cried aloud, and cut themselves, as was their custom, with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them. And when midday was past, they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice. But there was no voice; no one answered, no one paid attention.” (I Kings 18:27-29) Satan loves to see us bleeding and in pain, and if it’s self-inflicted, so much the better.

Yahweh, though—the inventor of life—tells us that our “life is in the blood.” And pain was something He built into our bodies to warn us when something’s wrong. The last thing He wants to see is for us to suffer pain and shed our blood in a misguided attempt to placate Him. So why do tens of thousands of Muslims cut their flesh in Ramadan rites at the Kaaba every year trying to gain the blessing of Allah—a false god who’s never blessed anybody? Why do twenty million pilgrims a year visit the shrine of the “Virgin of Guadalupe” in Mexico City, many walking for days and then crawling on bloodied knees the last few hundred meters of the journey to show their devotion to an apparition some guy named Juan says he saw back in 1531? Yahweh plainly said not to do such things.

(348) Do not tattoo the body like the idolaters. “You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am Yahweh.” (Leviticus 19:28) Tattoos have grown quite popular of late. I have no idea why. I even have Christian friends who advertise their faith with Christian tattoos. The passage at hand, as Maimonides notes, is primarily a warning against emulating the idolaters in our midst. Does it apply to “faith-neutral” tattoos or Christian body art? I don’t know, but I’d be inclined to take Yahweh’s word for it and call it a day. Yahweh has issued these instructions for our benefit—we can either heed them or not—it’s our skin that’s at risk. Maybe it’s like eating pork and shellfish: if there are consequences, He didn’t enumerate them. He just said, “Don’t.”

I would question a person's motive for wanting a tattoo, and I can't think of any real good reason for it. I know I used to want on, I just never got it because I couldn't think what sort of picture I would want stuck on my body for the rest of my life. Currently, it doesn't appeal to me, but I will admit that I have seen some beautiful art on people's bodies, but that is a horrible way to preserve the art. Rigth now I am dealing with my wife really wanting to get a tattoo (though, she hasn't mentioned it as much since she stopped talking to a certain friend), and she wants a cross for her first one at that.
Offline coleridge  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:14:54 AM(UTC)
coleridge

lol at the cross!!!! tats are not the worlds best idea.... will they send you to hell? probably not. but if we understand why the father wants us to be "without blemish" then we probably wouldn't want one anyway. that's why yohanon the baptist was crying out: metanoeo! = Repent! = Change your thinking! it's not so much that Yahweh wants to hit us with all these rules....he want's us to understand him, and his love for us. tat or no tat... we are saved by faith = belief, through grace...not works, lest any man should boast. God knows that. it's about what you know about him.... not what you do or don't do. no everyone who says "lord lord" is going to inherit the kingdom. even though they had cast out demons, laid hands on the sick...all kinds of stuff. their good was the work of iniquity. because Yahushua didn't know them. do i advise anyone to get a tat? nope. do i advise they no why the shouldn't? of course. faith without works is dead...so what's to be said of works without faith? Yahushua told the pharisees that they wash the outside of the cup, but the insides are filthy...and our righteousness has to exceed that of the pharisees and scribes in order to inherit any portion of the kingdom.... hope that helps.

i love you all
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar