logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Light1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 3:37:53 PM(UTC)
Light1
Man

Hi I read this passage in the ISR

For a man indeed should not cover his head, since he is the likeness and esteem of Elohim, but woman is the esteem of man.
1 Corinthians 11:7

I've read one Messianic rabbi say that 'cover' in english translations actually means 'veiling your headcovering'
Can some of you guys double check this with your software? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:48:39 PM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is the strongs word:

Quote:
G2619
κατακαλύπτω
katakaluptō
kat-ak-al-oop'-to
From G2596 and G2572; to cover wholly, that is, veil: - cover, hide.

So, I wouldn't say that it could mean "veiling your headcovering". Though, since the whole passage seems to be figurative, I think that "hide" would fit better (though "cover" fits well with the picture that he is painting).

Paul tells you right off:

Quote:
1Co 11:3 And I wish you to know that the head of every man is the Messiah, and the head of woman is the man, and the head of Messiah is Elohim.

So, whenever the "head" is mentioned, look here to see what he is talking about. Also, notice that the word for man here can mean husband, and the word for woman can mean wife.
Quote:
G435
ἀνήρ
anēr
an'-ayr
A primary word (compare G444); a man (properly as an individual male): - fellow, husband, man, sir.

G1135
γυνή
gunē
goo-nay'
Probably from the base of G1096; a woman; specifically a wife: - wife, woman.

Quote:
1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head [Messiah, though looking at the strong's numbers, this word does not appear to be in the greek to me] covered [hidden], brings shame to his Head [Elohim].

So, if the man hides the Messiah (keeps him out of mind?) while praying, it is dishonoring to Yahuweh, and if the woman does not hide the man (stop thinking about him?) while praying, she is dishonoring Yahuweh.

I'm sure I'm streching here, but I can't imagine that this passage is telling us that men can not to wear hats and women have to wear hats or veils.
Offline gammafighter  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:45:25 PM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DOv8xQtE32Q

Just after 1:45, Michael Rood explains a possible meaning to this passage. He does a better job explaining it than I could with a summary.
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:50:34 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think Michael Rood made a very good point about this verse being about authority. That we as Yahudim often put our pastor's or our rabbi's interrpretations and teachings over that of the Messiah. No person should be over us other than the Messiah. And as was said by Yahuweh, men will in the temporal world be the head of the family because of Chawah's role in Eden. The role of the pastor or leader of a congregation is not to rule but to administrate and to facilitate understanding. I completely understand that there can be a gray area when it comes to this. But I think once again that given all the evidence and arguments Yahuweh desires and requires of others that they allow us ultimately to use our consciences. Along with the theme of Corinthian conflict we should discuss 1 Corinthians 14:34-35.

"34: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35: And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church" (I Cor. 14).

Are there any ideas that anyone would like to share in regards to these verses?

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Light1  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:02:05 AM(UTC)
Light1
Man

Interesting, it seems that our tradition of taking hats off in church is 180 degrees reversed of what Yahweh would like! Why am I not surprised? As for women keeping quiet, I think that was in response to some incident with the women of Corinth that ticked Paul off, you see women as prophets and other roles enough in scripture that he was ok with.
Offline J&M  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2007 2:50:02 AM(UTC)
J&M

"34: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35: And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church" (I Cor. 14).

Look at the next verse

'What came the word of God from Man?'

I suspect Paul was answering a 'talmudic' question here. The adversary has used this verse and others like it to silence 50% + of believers. In Yehoshua there is neither ...... male or female.

Our sisters - our female yehudim, are every bit as free before YHWH as us males - and whilst they may have a different role within the family, marriage and society, there are no second class yehudim.
Offline Ruchamah  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2007 10:45:45 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

hmm...seems Paul said that a woman ought to have authority on her head beacuse of the angels...seems like a fine reason to me!
ruchamah
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Offline J&M  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:19:37 AM(UTC)
J&M

And men are are allowed to prattle in the ekklesia?

What 'ekklesia services'? can you please clarify?

I think we are getting onto some fraught doctrine. We must be very careful here, becase even though Chavva was 'in the transgression' she also confessed (I was Beguiled) whereas Adam blatently blamed first Chavva then YHWH - but never himself.

Offline J&M  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 7:41:43 AM(UTC)
J&M

I would stress again, the verse following the obvious question from Corinth (Verse 36)

" What? came came the word of God out from you?"

When Paul refers to "saith the law" (v34) he is referring to the mishnah (the oral tradition of the Jews which Yahushua describes as the "Leaven of the Pharisees" If he had been referring to Torah, he would have referred to it as "it is written".

Unfortunately this scripture has been twisted to effectively silence women (more than 50% of the ekklesia) much to the glee of satan.

When the trumpets sound, I stronly suspect that there will be more women than men called up into the clouds. So both men and women, please prattle as much as you like, eat together, have fun together. When YHWH dined with Abraham, they did not have a 'service' they had food and wine, and enjoyed each other's good company!

Please excuse my prattling on - it is not meant to be offensive :-)
Offline coleridge  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:35:04 AM(UTC)
coleridge

now this is just beautiful!!! let's take a long look at what we are discussing here... there have been some great points made. first let's look at the author. paul wrote in a very conversational tone... he was very casual and friendly in his writings...he knew these people. this was not a way of just spouting off some rules. this was in response to a problem he had gotten wind of. the ekklesia did have "meetings" where someone or a group of people would speak a word from YHWH. there are several references to such. and you are very correct in saying that women are allowed to speak in the meetings. these corinthians came from a completely different system. you will read in chapter 6 and 7 that they were having a hard time letting some of those "old" practices go. that's why paul was writing this. chavvah was called out... set apart... she spoke for herself in front of the almighty, and YHWH didn't seem offended at all. miriam was the prophetess for israel... she spoke. paul knew that. he studied the law and the prophets. 2 john is written to a woman...and john calls her the elder of that house. again i could go on but you get the point. so without making stretched out guesses as to what was going on here... we can safely say that paul was not saying that the women were never allowed to say anything. for what ever the reason he said that to them...
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar
Offline Mike_Browell  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:17:42 PM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

The Love of Yahweh our dad Everyone,
I am actually very interested in understanding this verse. It has caused me great confusion has anyone done a complete translation on this?

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell
Offline Bridget  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:12:21 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd like to hear more on this as well.
Being a woman, it's pretty offensive.
Offline Bridget  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:28:31 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Thanks Swalchy.

Clears it up a bit. I was referring to the women not speaking, and only asking their husbands at home later....

Knowing that this KJV bible that I have is basically useless because of the translations....

Can anyone point me to any books to help me in my studies....besides YY and The Owners Manual ???

As far as the head covering....I don't get this at all...just sounds silly to me. Though, I know I could very well be wrong! :)
Offline sirgodfrey  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:42:46 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

ranting can be quite awesome at times...

i find.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:07:41 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Bridget wrote:

I was referring to the women not speaking, and only asking their husbands at home later....

Whats the matter with that?

*me runs away & hides*

;-)

As swalchy said there are issues with finding agenda free publications... Theologians push their own agenda purposfully or they squeese something to fit into a theological idea, maybe without fully understanding the consequences.

Either way, there is always a nugget of truth stashed somewhere, just gotta dig em out.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Bridget  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:53:01 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Ahh, I forgot about the list of sources at the beginning of YY....thanks for reminding me.

I'll never stop anyone from ranting! I've quite an appetite for info~ Good thing, as Yada and KP sure do type a lot! ha ha

Robski...grrr :) just kiddin'
Everyone and their agendas...This Discerning thing is tough work. I've been told that you all here are heretics and of the 'dark spirit'.
Well, I'm still around and still reading, so until-if I see that for myself...I'll keep trying to learn and discern.

But, if I find out you're all evil, there's gonna be HELL to pay. heh..kidding. don't you love anonymous internet threats? ;)
Offline edStueart  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:25:09 AM(UTC)
edStueart

So, as best I can tell:

1) Men are supposed to wear hats.
and

2) Men are not supposed to wear hats.
and

3) Women are not to make the same fashion statements as prostitutes.

I am pretty clear on 3, but not sure how to resolve 1 and 2.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Bridget  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:09:47 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

I really don't think God cares if people wear hats, don't wear hats, have long hair, have shaved heads.

same fashion statements as prostitutes? I think we women are just not supposed to prostitute ourselves.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:14:41 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Bridget wrote:
I really don't think God cares if people wear hats, don't wear hats, have long hair, have shaved heads.

same fashion statements as prostitutes? I think we women are just not supposed to prostitute ourselves.

I think this is where we can get into a muddle.

The letter was addressing a specific problem, which Paul was giving a specific solution. But as with everything we have to get our directions from the book of instructions.

We all know Yah hates prostitution, homosexuality and so forth. So we know (should know) not to promote ourselfs as such. Paul was providing a pratical solution that kept people in the Torah.

Bridget I feel has hit the nail on the head as to say :)

Remeber, the NT isnt really an instruction book; its mostly examples and prophetic fulfilment (with a touch of revelation at the end lol) - Everything Yahushua instructed, taught and the way He lived was Torah - because He was the "Word". He is our perfect example of how to follow Torah.

Paul was teaching people, giving them examples of how to implement things properly. Correcting them when they were wrong and moving them towards the correct way to follow Torah - and away from the Oral Law.

We should really read Pauls letters in conjunction with Torah so we can see how and why he suggested these things.

Closing the ramble. I feel Bridget is correct lol
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline edStueart  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:41:54 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Swalchy wrote:
Probably because to wear a hat or not to wear a hat isn't mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11 :)

Speaking of hats...

I had the privilege of visiting the Western Wall archaeological site in the fall of 2008. Being a Stoopid American, I forgot to bring appropriate headgear for visiting the ground held to be sacred by modern Jews. At the entrance, we were handed a cardboard kippot by an older man working as a security guard. The “silly hat” continually fell off my head and was a huge annoyance throughout the entire course of the otherwise excellent and informative visit to the site.

At the end of the tour, our guide told a story about a young Jew at Nazi extermination camp. The boy had told a soldier that he would someday be in Jerusalem. The Nazi soldier replied “The only way you will get to Jerusalem is through that chimney, as smoke!”

The boy survived WW2 had a family and career. When he retired, he emigrated to Israel and became a volunteer at the temple site with the lofty (and unpaid) position of “duster”. He worked many years just dusting and collecting trash and debris from the site. At some point the director of the site asked why this old man continued to work for no pay at the site of the temple, and the old man told his story about being in the extermination camp...

The guide then said, “The man who gave you these cardboard kippots, was that boy.”

There was not a dry eye in the group.

In an instant, that “silly hat” became one of my most prized possessions.

I encourage you to go and visit Jerusalem, take the archaeological tour of the temple site, but don't bring your own kippot. Get one from the “old security guard” at the entrance.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!