logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:28:45 AM(UTC)
Yada

I am currently working my way through the late Rev. Alexander Hislop's "The Two Babylons." I just read a section about "St. Peter's Chair." I didn't even know that the RCC asserted that such a thing existed (you can view a picture of it here, via the Catholic encyclopedia).

I doubled over with laughter when I read that during a cleaning, they discovered the "twelve labours of Hercules," inscribed on it and sadly, did not fare much better with the "replacement chair" when they discovered...well, I don't want to spoil it for you - here's the quote from page 194:

Quote:
The real pedigree of the far-famed chair of Peter will appear from the following fact: "The Romans had," says Bower, " as they thought, till the year 1662, a pregnant proof, not only of Peter's erecting their chair, but of his sitting in it himself; for, till that year, the very chair on which they believed, or would make others believe, he had sat, was shown and exposed to public adoration on the 18th of January, the festival of the said chair. But while it was cleaning, in order to set it up in some conspicuous place of the Vatican, the twelve labours of Hercules unluckly appeared on it!" and so it had to be laid aside. The partisans of the Papacy were not a little disconcerted by this discovery; but they tried to put the best face on the matter they could. "Our worship," said Giacomo Bartolini, in his Sacred Antiquites of Rome, while relating the circumstances of the discovery, Our worship, however, was not misplaced, since it was not to the wood we paid it, but to the prince of the apostles, St. Peter," that had been supposed to sit in it. Whatever the reader may think of this apology for chair-worship, he will surely at least perceive, taking this in connection with what we have already seen, that the hoary fable of Peter's chair is fairly exploded. In modern times, Rome seems to have been rather unfortunate in regard to Peter's chair; for, even after that which bore the twelve labours of Hercules had been condemned and cast aside, as unfit to bear the light that the Reformation had pured upon the darkness of the Holy See, that which was chosen to replace it was destined to reveal still more ludicrously the barefaced impostures of the Papacy. The former chair was borrowed from the Pagans; the next appears to have been purloined from the Mussulmans (Muslims); for when the French soldiers under General Bonaparte took possession of Rome in 1795, they found on the back of it, in Arabic, this well known sentence from the Koran, "There is no God but God, and Mahomet (Mohammed) is His Prophet."

If you should feel nostalgic for the chair and lament its loss, don't despair, the RCC still sets aside a feast day for the "Chair of the Apostle Peter." I am not making this up - you can view a page about it from a Catholic site here. And while you're there, don't forget to "send a Saint an EGreeting" via the convenient link they have provided.

When I wonder how things got so screwed up and how/why people are so gullible, I remember something that my brother-in-law had heard once from a used car salesman: "there's an @ss for every seat."

Yep, I was one for quite a few years - sure glad I found YY.

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:33:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:11:55 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
heheh awesomeness :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:15:23 PM(UTC)
kp

That's amazing, Yada. No, not that the RCC has roots in paganism of many different forms---that's slam dunk obvious. It's just that this week, God kinda told me to get out my copy of The Two Babylons and read it again. It's been, like, twenty years since I read it last. I'm seeing things I totally missed the first time, references to things that went right over my head before. Now, I'm waiting for the "other shoe to drop," as the saying goes, wondering why this old tome keeps crossing my path, wondering what I'm supposed to see with fresh eyes.

kp
Offline Jeannie  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:11:49 PM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

Ok guys this is weird!!! I'm reading this again myself and for some reason after I finshed your last chapter KP I went and started reading it again!!
Jeannie
Offline shalom82  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:16:14 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have heard of Hislop's seminal work and I have been meaning to read it, this little snippet is going to be the straw that broke the camels back. I am going to have to read it now and soon. (haha...did that make sense?) Thanks for that Yada.

Edit: For those of us who don't have a lot of dough to spread around, you can find this title (Hislop's, the two Babylons) and other important titles for free at this website.
http://www.menorah.org.za/online_free_books.php

As an aside I would never say that any site has the market cornered on truth, but overall the other content on this site is pretty good. They also ascribe to our pronounciation as was popularized by Koster. Be fairly warned though that they do have Two house theology on their site.

Shalom,
Jake
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 8:26:30 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Interesting, I ordered a copy of it a few weeks ago and it just arrived today. I have been reading some of the other books sited in YY.
Thus far I have read Come Out of Her My People, and Fossilized Customes interesting both reference Hislop's work.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline coleridge  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:53:43 AM(UTC)
coleridge

you can get the whole book for free on www.piney.com i was reading that very bood about that very time... really strange
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar