logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:14:02 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I know there was a topic on the anti-missionaries a lil bit ago but I can't find it, so I am just going to post a new one with the hopes that if may find it's proper home. As of late the anti-missionaries have really been getting my blood boiling. Their arguements are so simple to knock down that even a believer who is fairly new to the true revelation of scripture could knock them down Dick Butkus style. Their proofs are foolish, vain, and shallow. Here is an example of that.

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

by Rabbi Shraga Simmons For 2,000 years, Jews have rejected the Christian idea of Jesus as messiah. Why?

It is important to understand why Jews don't believe in Jesus. The purpose is not to disparage other religions, but rather to clarify the Jewish position. The more data that's available, the better-informed choices people can make about their spiritual path.

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

1) Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.

2) Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.

3) Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.

4) Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

At the end of this article, we will examine these additional topics:

5) Christianity contradicts Jewish theology

6) Jews and Gentiles

7) Bringing the Messiah

1) JESUS DID NOT FULFILL THE MESSIANIC PROPHECIES

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world -- on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming, but [b]Jewish sources[/b](this one makes me want to scream) show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright, and no concept of a second coming exists.

2) JESUS DID NOT EMBODY THE PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS OF MESSIAH

A. MESSIAH AS PROPHET

Jesus was not a prophet. Prophecy can only exist in Israel when the land is inhabited by a majority of world Jewry. During the time of Ezra (circa 300 BCE), when the majority of Jews refused to move from Babylon to Israel, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets -- Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi. (what a construct)

Jesus appeared on the scene approximately 350 years after prophecy had ended.

B. DESCENDENT OF DAVID

The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10 and Isaiah 11:1). According to the Christian claim that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father -- and thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of being descended on his father's side from King David!

C. TORAH OBSERVANCE

The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The Torah states that all mitzvot remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)

Throughout the New Testament, Jesus contradicts the Torah and states that its commandments are no longer applicable. For example, John 9:14 records that Jesus made a paste in violation of Shabbat, which caused the Pharisees to say (verse 16), "He does not observe Shabbat!"

3) MISTRANSLATED VERSES "REFERRING" TO JESUS

Biblical verses can only be understood by studying the original Hebrew text -- which reveals many discrepancies in the Christian translation.

A. VIRGIN BIRTH

The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods. B. CRUCIFIXION

The verse in Psalms 22:17 reads: "Like a lion, they are at my hands and feet." The Hebrew word ki-ari (like a lion) is grammatically similar to the word "gouged." Thus Christianity reads the verse as a reference to crucifixion: "They pierced my hands and feet."

C. SUFFERING SERVANT

Christianity claims that Isaiah chapter 53 refers to Jesus, as the "suffering servant."

In actuality, Isaiah 53 directly follows the theme of chapter 52, describing the exile and redemption of the Jewish people. The prophecies are written in the singular form because the Jews ("Israel") are regarded as one unit. The Torah is filled with examples of the Jewish nation referred to with a singular pronoun.

Ironically, Isaiah's prophecies of persecution refer in part to the 11th century when Jews were tortured and killed by Crusaders who acted in the name of Jesus.

From where did these mistranslations stem? St. Gregory, 4th century Bishop of Nanianzus, wrote: "A little jargon is all that is necessary to impose on the people. The less they comprehend, the more they admire."

4) JEWISH BELIEF IS BASED SOLELY ON NATIONAL REVELATION

Of the 15,000 religions in human history, only Judaism bases its belief on national revelation -- i.e. God speaking to the entire nation. If God is going to start a religion, it makes sense He'll tell everyone, not just one person.

Judaism, unique among all of the world's major religions, does not rely on "claims of miracles" as the basis for its religion. In fact, the Bible says that God sometimes grants the power of "miracles" to charlatans, in order to test Jewish loyalty to the Torah (Deut. 13:4).

Maimonides states (Foundations of Torah, ch. 8):

The Jews did not believe in Moses, our teacher, because of the miracles he performed. Whenever anyone's belief is based on seeing miracles, he has lingering doubts, because it is possible the miracles were performed through magic or sorcery. All of the miracles performed by Moses in the desert were because they were necessary, and not as proof of his prophecy.

What then was the basis of [Jewish] belief? The Revelation at Mount Sinai, which we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears, not dependent on the testimony of others... as it says, "Face to face, God spoke with you..." The Torah also states: "God did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us -- who are all here alive today." (Deut. 5:3)

Judaism is not miracles. It is the personal eyewitness experience of every man, woman and child, standing at Mount Sinai 3,300 years ago.

See "Did God Speak at Mount Sinai" for further reading.

5) CHRISTIANITY CONTRADICTS JEWISH THEOLOGY

The following theological points apply primarily to the Roman Catholic Church, the largest Christian denomination.

A. GOD AS THREE?

The Catholic idea of Trinity breaks God into three separate beings: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19).

Contrast this to the Shema, the basis of Jewish belief: "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is ONE" (Deut. 6:4). Jews declare the Shema every day, while writing it on doorposts (Mezuzah), and binding it to the hand and head (Tefillin). This statement of God's One-ness is the first words a Jewish child is taught to say, and the last words uttered before a Jew dies.

In Jewish law, worship of a three-part god is considered idolatry -- one of the three cardinal sins that a Jew should rather give up his life than transgress. This explains why during the Inquisitions and throughout history, Jews gave up their lives rather than convert.

B. MAN AS GOD?

Roman Catholics believe that God came down to earth in human form, as Jesus said: "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).

Maimonides devotes most of the "Guide for the Perplexed" to the fundamental idea that God is incorporeal, meaning that He assumes no physical form. God is Eternal, above time. He is Infinite, beyond space. He cannot be born, and cannot die. Saying that God assumes human form makes God small, diminishing both His unity and His divinity. As the Torah says: "God is not a mortal" (Numbers 23:19).

Judaism says that the Messiah will be born of human parents, and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-god, and will not possess supernatural qualities. In fact, an individual is alive in every generation with the capacity to step into the role of the Messiah. (see Maimonides - Laws of Kings 11:3)

C. INTERMEDIARY FOR PRAYER?

The Catholic belief is that prayer must be directed through an intermediary -- i.e. confessing one's sins to a priest. Jesus himself is an intermediary, as Jesus said: "No man cometh unto the Father but by me."

In Judaism, prayer is a totally private matter, between each individual and God. As the Bible says: "God is near to all who call unto Him" (Psalms 145:18). Further, the Ten Commandments state: "You shall have no other gods BEFORE ME," meaning that it is forbidden to set up a mediator between God and man. (see Maimonides - Laws of Idolatry ch. 1)

D. INVOLVEMENT IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD

Catholic doctrine often treats the physical world as an evil to be avoided. Mary, the holiest woman, is portrayed as a virgin. Priests and nuns are celibate. And monasteries are in remote, secluded locations.

By contrast, Judaism believes that God created the physical world not to frustrate us, but for our pleasure. Jewish spirituality comes through grappling with the mundane world in a way that uplifts and elevates. Sex in the proper context is one of the holiest acts we can perform.

The Talmud says if a person has the opportunity to taste a new fruit and refuses to do so, he will have to account for that in the World to Come. Jewish rabbinical schools teach how to live amidst the bustle of commercial activity. Jews don't retreat from life, we elevate it.

6) JEWS AND GENTILES

Judaism does not demand that everyone convert to the religion. The Torah of Moses is a truth for all humanity, whether Jewish or not. King Solomon asked God to heed the prayers of non-Jews who come to the Holy Temple (Kings I 8:41-43). The prophet Isaiah refers to the Temple as a "House for all nations."

The Temple service during Sukkot featured 70 bull offerings, corresponding to the 70 nations of the world. The Talmud says that if the Romans would have realized how much benefit they were getting from the Temple, they'd never have destroyed it.

Jews have never actively sought converts to Judaism because the Torah prescribes a righteous path for gentiles to follow, known as the "Seven Laws of Noah." Maimonides explains that any human being who faithfully observes these basic moral laws earns a proper place in heaven.(THE NOACHIDE LAWS MAKE ME WANT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!! Let me guess what that proper place in heaven is....a secondary and subserviant role. THE NOACHIDE LAWS ARE EVIL AND ANTI TORAH.)

7) BRINGING THE MESSIAH

Maimonides states that the popularity of Christianity (and Islam) is part of God's plan to spread the ideals of Torah throughout the world. This moves society closer to a perfected state of morality and toward a greater understanding of God. All this is in preparation for the Messianic age.

Indeed, the world is in desperate need of Messianic redemption. War and pollution threaten our planet; ego and confusion erode family life. To the extent we are aware of the problems of society, is the extent we will yearn for redemption. As the Talmud says, one of the first questions a Jew is asked on Judgment Day is: "Did you yearn for the arrival of the Messiah?"

How can we hasten the coming of the Messiah? The best way is to love all humanity generously, to keep the mitzvot of the Torah (as best we can), and to encourage others to do so as well.

Despite the gloom, the world does seem headed toward redemption. One apparent sign is that the Jewish people have returned to the Land of Israel and made it bloom again. Additionally, a major movement is afoot of young Jews returning to Torah tradition.

The Messiah can come at any moment, and it all depends on our actions. God is ready when we are. For as King David says: "Redemption will come today -- if you hearken to His voice."

Feel Free to answer the charges. I actually am writing a long reply to Rabbi Simmons that I will be sending shortly.
Here are some links that dispell such garbage as this

http://therefinersfire.org/dear_rabbi.htm

http://therefinersfire.org/yeshua_questions.htm

http://therefinersfire.org/ca.htm

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline J&M  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:52:00 AM(UTC)
J&M

Of course, this is the kind of Jew who rejected his own Messiah, and still does. You will note that most of his criticsm could well be turned around against the followers of Jonathan Zakkai and Maimonides.

Orthadox Judaism is a 'club' where the 'identity' is more important than the substance. Most Jews KNOW that Messiah had to have come before the destruction of the second temple in AD 70, which is why they never quote Daniel in their 'anti-Yahushua' diatribes. Scholars of Daniel know that Messiah had to come in AD 30, and either Daniel is wrong, thus invalidating all the prophets, or Messiah came and went and will come back.

Most Jews would rather follow their own man-made constructs (of Maimonides) and thus stay in the comfort zone of their largely self-appointed leaders.
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:28:32 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well said J&M

"Orthodox Judaism is a 'club' where the 'identity' is more important than the substance."

If we will take it a step further most religions are identities more than they are beliefs. So many people profess to be catholics or muslims or protestants or buddhists or whatever, but the more and more I talk to people:especially Christians (not especially in the sense that christians are unique, it's just that I happen to talk to more professing christians) I realize they hardly know a word of scripture and the great preponderance are all mixed up about the relationship between Yahushua and Yahuweh. Sadly, I find that a great many of them are Arians without even knowing that that means. I will often give Christians an analogy that I got from Kirk Cameron's New Zealand Pastor buddy. (can't think of his name) about a judge coming off of his bench and paying your fine so you wouldn't have to go to jail, and how that is the relationship between Yahuweh and his manifestations. They are stunned. I don't think they should be stunned if they actually knew the meaning of the scriptures. Alas, it's a cultural identity. It's the same way with the bagels and Yiddish Yahudim. You know...the ones who go to Temple for some of the high holy days and put a little Yiddish into their language and eat bagels or go to the Kosher deli....I have talked to some of them and theirs a brick wall when it comes to Yahushua...there's really no reason. "Jews don't believe in Jesus."
"Okay, why not?"
"They just don't, okay?"
"That's fine, but why?"
Sometimes they give a few hackneyed reasons and other times they say something about their rabbi.
I think for the most part they are afraid that they will lose their already skin thin identity.

With orthodox, It's a much more institutionalized and savage hatred.

I have heard and watch them say things, things that you didn't think "religious" people could say, about Yahushua.
I can't remember the exact quote but I have heard a few Orthodox rabbis when they say "Yeshu" and then they say may his memory be blotted out or something like that. And of course Messianic Judaism is a step in the right direction but still way too religious and concerned about identity. If the messianics would just drop a lot of this Jewish identity stuff they don't even realize how "Jewish" they would become. (like the first Moshe...not the second Moshe) Sadly, that desperate clutching for identity doesn't help their message.

All we can do is spread the message

Shalom
Jacob
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Light1  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:20:11 AM(UTC)
Light1
Man

I found this reference from a Messianic about dealing with counter-missionaries. I've just started reading it but it seems pretty good so far.

http://yourarmstoisrael....0Response%20Handboo..pdf
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2007 8:13:02 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
For interesting debates, I'm a debate fan one of the reasons I love listing to Yada on the radio, about Yahushua being the messiah between Orthodox Jews, and a messianic Jew check out Dr. Michael Brown at www.realmessiah.com

Not everything he says is great, but hearing the animosity some of the Rabbi's have toward him is very telling.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand