logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 10:10:10 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
This is one that gets me in trouble sometimes. My wife and her family, even after I explain the orgin of all the pagan symbols including the cross, say to me that what they were originaly doesn't matter, it is what they represent now that counts.

I usually retort, sarcastically with "Well a pentagram represents God to me, so you won't mind me wearing it to CHRCH on SUNday?". As I said it usually gets me in trouble.

Another one is when we discuss the name Jesus vs Yahushua. They tell me it doesn't matter what name you call him as long as your heart is in the right place.

To which I reply, "Fine I'm gonna start calling him Buddy. My hearts in the right place right, so lets all pray to Buddy."

I don't out right say we must get rid of all pagan symbols, I do however refuse them for myself, and tell people of their orgin.

What's everyones opinion on the whole keeping pagan symbolism out of habit. If your heart is in the right place is it really a big deal to God, or am I just a bit legalistic.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 11:32:11 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
its a big deal to Him. So its a big deal to me...

Yes its important, and no its not legalistic... Yahweh displays His affection for pagan/religious items and practices many times in Scripture... So I am going to take His word for it :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Light1  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 11:43:23 AM(UTC)
Light1
Man

Quote:
What's everyones opinion on the whole keeping pagan symbolism out of habit. If your heart is in the right place is it really a big deal to God, or am I just a bit legalistic.
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, you've told them what you think and if they continue using that stuff that's their problem. Coming from a Protestant background, the cross we use is a simple symbol without Yeshua strung out in agony on it like the catholic crucifix, so I can look at one in a Methodist church and think 'ok that's really supposed to be a upright pole with a cross-beam'. As for names, I still slip into 'Lord Jesus' and 'God' in praying at times instead of Yahweh and Yeshua out of habit since I've done it all of my life-but I don't flip out over it, I know the original names and have begun using them more and more when I pray. There have been plenty of Christians who worshipped on Sunday and followed much of the traditional crap out of ignorance but still had good relationship with Yahweh. However now that you have more accurate info, you should conduct your own relationship with Yahweh on that basis and tell your family why, just be kind about it and realize that ultimately they must make their own choice in the matter.

For me I seem to be in a dilemma right now, I only go to church occasionally and after we recently got a new minister and I heard his sermon where I got this 'new agey' feel to it (like 'in evangelism we have to get away from 'the depravity of man' and move towards 'we're all in this together' blah, blah). He's a nice fellow, but I have no real desire to waste any more time in the traditional church.
While I contribute to the late Dr. Scott's ministry (which taught about the feasts of the lord, sungod elements in Christianity etc) I don't have the cash to fly to services in Los Angeles so I have no real local body to go to.
Offline CK  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 3:46:39 PM(UTC)
CK

Yahushua's advice is the best: "Be as shrewd as a serpent, but as gentle as a dove." I'm of the opinion that those who have gone on before us who were of true belief and called upon Yahuweh by the names they were 'taught' will rest in Him. He is a loving and forgiving Father. However, for those who knew, but hid the Truth - well - that's another story, and the Father will judge accordingly.

However, once we know the Truth, we are accountable for that Truth. We are to be an example. Say the Names (in and out of season), but do not be lead astray by debating about the Names. Once said, then 'choice' becomes apparent. It's their choice. Yahuweh and Yahushua are not unheard of names to some people. Some know of them. You simply have become aware of how significant and important these Names are to our Father. It's Scriptural. Suggest that they research these things for themselves. Suggest that they be like the Bereans, who searched out Scripture to know the Truth for themselves.

Regarding pagan symbols, do not give them heed. With kindness, laced with boldness, state the facts about these symbols, and use Scripture, wherever possible, to back you. Yahuweh had a lot to say about mixing paganism with worship of Him.

With the amount of information that is available to us today, it is not difficult to also cite different books, web sites, etc. where one can do their own research. Again - it's their choice.

Blessed be His Name.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:10:20 AM(UTC)
James
Man

CK I have to say I agree with you sentiments, but that being said I must say I'd be lying if I said I liked their choice. But the only thing I have any control over is myself and what I choose. That and what I teach my children, when I have them I plain to make clear to them the importance of Yahs name to himself, and therefor to us.

On a side note, I sometimes find it difficult carrying on a conversation using the name Yahushua and Yahuweh with peopl who are using the names Jesus and Lord. It sounds like were carrying on two seperate conversation. I sometime find my self saying "Yahushua who you call Jesus said ....". Though I have gotten into the habbit of using the word Scritpture and not Bible, and found that those I talk to slip into this pattern unknowingly.

I guess in the end I all I can do is do what I believe to be right, and inform others and hope they listen. I always like to use the phrase don't believe me look it up for yourself, I'd rather you research it than listen to me any day. I just want you to think about it. I love YY chapter where it talks about the different way we are supposed to approach different peopl based on their beliefs, ie pagans, athiest, errent follower. I need to reread that one soon.

Offline Tiffany  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:38:05 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

James,

I know where you are at, I find myself in the same place. I have chosen to rid my house of the things I know offend Yah, and its funny now how they offend me. I have this christmas tree, and a few other things that I am going to burn here before to long and I am so excited! Its just my way of saying I am starting fresh and I don’t want any part of that left in my life.

It is difficult but I also find that my stomach turns when I hear people use the wrong name, if they do it out of ignorance I feel around to see if they are open, and if not well I wait. But many good conversations have come from me sharing what I know!!!!

So keep up the good work, try not to get discourage. Have a good time with what you know and thanks for the great input on the forum.

Tiffany
Offline Light1  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:41:17 AM(UTC)
Light1
Man

I threw my Christmas tree away months ago, but I have to say working in retail I already hated the christmas holiday anyways. ;)
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:39:01 AM(UTC)
James
Man

The pragmatist in me says while I don't celebrate Christmas, I should take advantage of it as 1) a time to see family I don't normally see, 2) a chance to expose lies, and witness to the truth. So while I'm not a fan of Christmass trees, or the holiday, I still go to Christmas dinners with my family.

Offline CK  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:55:20 PM(UTC)
CK

Re. conversing with the Names: I don't have a problem in conversations saying Yahushua, while others are saying Jesus. Obviously the name Jesus comes up frequently among my Christian friends. This is His name to them. It's the name they've always known. I grew up saying Jesus. If my friends think I've gone bonkers because I say Yahushua, they are too polite to say so. A couple of them thrill at the sound of His given name, and tell me they love to hear it. I refer to Yahuweh as Yahuweh, as our Elohim, as Father, and as Dad. None of my friends seem to have a problem with that either. They don't question me. I think it may be because these Names are part of me, part of how I relate my beliefs. Now, our pastor is a different story, he gives me 'the odd look', when I say Yahushua. The Name Yahweh doesn't bother him. But quite frankly, I don't care what our pastor thinks about these matters. He's not my judge. I report to a much higher power. I thank you, my fellow narrow path walkers, for all the good input you share. Love it. CK

P.S. Light1: How's Greg doing??????
Offline jojocc  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:19:53 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Having only recently come to understand that using YHWH's name is important, I find myself in a bit of a quandry. While I am by myself or if I have family members visiting me, I have no problem using YHWH's and Yehoshua's names, however... I live in Israel, and here even the most secular Jews and many Messianic congregations get very upset if YHWH's name is said out loud. Yehoshua is not such a problem, although it appears that the orthodox do not get as wound up about Yehoshua as they do about Yeshua - is this their mistake or ours?

I can understand those who have not 'seen the light' and are still under Rabinic rule getting upset, for them even to think YHWH's name is... well... unthinkable. However, I would like to be able to talk about YHWH the way that I do when I am on skype with my family, but I am not able to. I do not want to refer to YHWH as HaShem (The Name) as most people here do. I am also less and less happy about calling Him lord, god etc...

What I have taken to doing is changing the syntax I use to enable me to talk about a 'Creator' or to allude to a name without actually using a stand-in. Does this count as taking his name in vain?

Offline Tiffany  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:35:55 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Welcome Jojocc,

I have with in the last year come to understand the importance of Yahuweh's name, and in that time I have come to love, respect, and deepen my relationship with Him. I spent all of my life in a christian church having a relationship with a god who had no name and until my eyes were open I had no idea, but because Yahuweh is so faithful I believe I am in for the ride of my life.

I really only have this forum and about 5 other friends who have the understanding of the name and then I have my family who is so steeped in tradition, I am asking Yahuweh for favor to share the truth with them but it has not happened yet. I want to encourage you to use the name let it become a habit even second nature because if you honor Yahuweh and Yahushua your life will be increased.

Have you started to read Yada Yahweh, the book that goes along with forum? It’s a great read and will give you the opportunity to discover more truth!

Blessings
Tiffany
Offline jojocc  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 5:06:21 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Thank you for your welcome Tiffany :-)

The biggest problem I have not with saying YHWH here is in fact a matter of self-preservation! A Rabincally Jewish family I know have had visits from the local Black Hats just for being English speakers. These are the same guys who recently did over an American? missionary and have set up protests outside private residences of suspected evangelists. I am not even sure if it is legal to say YHWH's name out loud here - I'll have to check up on that one...
Offline Tiffany  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 9:55:46 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

jojocc,

I am sorry, I did not think about what I was telling you and understanding your circumstances, please forgive me. I don't know what it would be like to not be able to say His name, or possibly face horrible circumstances for doing anything.

So without prying is it really hard on a daily basis to know what you know?

Tiffany
Offline jojocc  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 11:08:41 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Hi Tiffany,

Please don't be sorry and you don't need my forgiveness :-) I should be thanking you for your support! Hmmmm...is it really hard on a daily basis to know what you know?...

Yes and No, knowing what I know (that sounds wonderfully cryptic) I feel more free, relaxed and secure than I have ever felt before. Recently I had a discussion with my (earthly) father about pistueo, and what it means. We came to the conclusion that complete trust is trusting without fear, not having to be afraid because you know that YHWH and Yehoshua have your back; having absolute reliance on Him. Being here makes you remember this all the time, although at the same time I worry about becoming a 'liar' by omission. I see it as having a wonderful secret that I should only to share with those who YHWH prompts me to, (pearls before swine and all that) but at the same time it would be untruthful to say that I do not fear persecution.

:-)
Offline bitnet  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2008 1:34:28 AM(UTC)
bitnet

I have never really worn any jewelry or religious symbols despite having kept a rosary that my father gave me to keep in my pocket when I was much younger. I do not wish to have any symbols as they do not identify me with our Creator. No need for crosses, crucifixes, fishes, doves, etc. Knowing His name and His ways are all that matters, and observing His Sabbaths identifies me as part of His family. During the Feast of Unleavened Bread, I shall purge the home of items that do not belong in His home but has crept in under the radar over the months, not just the bread yeast and self-raising flour. jojocc, be wise and be careful with those around you but since you know your Father there is much less to fear.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline real  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:52:18 PM(UTC)
real
Man

It occurs to me that Yahweh is a jealous God therefore I do not put up christmas trees, do not wear crosses, will not wear any form of religous symbolism, and have zero respect for anything that has to do with religion. My wife being Irainian was a Muslim when we married (not a good one of course) now she understands religion is a tool of satan that has but one desighn (to get men to bow to other men) true Azab. I think our example to others counts It did in my case for sure. I have talked dozens of people out of going to church and my fervent hope is that all religion dies the death it deserves. Nothing that could have been done that was good in the name of religion could in any way outweigh the death and destruction and ruin it has brought upon the world.
Offline bitnet  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 3:57:09 AM(UTC)
bitnet

I wonder... if you live in the Far East where the symbol of the dragon is seen as benevolent and signifies good things... and is so ubiquitous and is found on almost everything... what do you do if people gave you gifts featuring the dragon? My Chinese Christian brother-in-law won't even keep traditional Chinese crockery if it has the benevolent dragon motif... Does it really matter if it is not kept for religious purposes or even for aesthetic purposes? What about jewelry with the dragon on a pendant? What about items with stars on them? Or the moon? Or a peace sign? Or a Batman logo? Or... When does it go too far? I have even received a corporate gift featuring the Chinese symbols of Prosperity, Health and Longevity... in the form of pewter statues of Chinese deities! I did not throw it away because I know they are not gods nor worshiped by anyone who visits my business. It is just a symbol. And it is a memento of business achievement from a managing director who is a Muslim! (He has since left so I guess it did not work for him!) So I left it in the showcase along with my other trophies. Is it important? I don't really care much about it enough to throw it away because it is pewter and may be worth something later if I need to get rid of it. ;-) But again, I do not wear anything personally to associate myself with anything other than a corporate pin. No religious symbols can equate the significance of the Sabbaths! Observe the Sabbaths and people notice you immediately!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.