logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hermine Dow  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:39:15 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

Intro to God - 3, Towrah - Part 1, p. 94

Speaking about what Moseh did during each 40 year period of his life reminded me of the Book of Yasher. I'm wondering what Yada's opinion of it is? I'm aware that there are pseudo Yashers from the middle ages. I read what is convincingly shown to be the authentic Yasher, annotated/translated by Ken Johnson in 2008.
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 6:32:12 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
From what I gather the Book of Yasher is of Rabbinic origin, the oldest reference we have to it dates to 1565 C.E. And the oldest manuscript to about a century later. So I wouldn't put much stock.

It's much like the Book of Enoch. To believe it existed is to believe that it was before the time of slavery in Egypt, that it was kept the entire time they were in Egypt, carried with them trough the desert, and not once was it ever mentioned, either in Towrah or historical documents. The one exception with the "Book of Yasher" is in Yahowsah 10:13 which reads is it not written in the Book of Yasher? But when you understand that Yasher in Hebrew mean the upright or the upright one, so it could just as easily read the book of The Upright One and since Upright One is a title for God I would argue that this is not talking about some unknown book that dated to the time of Noah, but rather just the book of God, the Towrah.

But even if there were once a Book of Yasher, what we have today dates at the earliest to 1500s, way to long after it was scribed to be considered trustworthy.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Hermine Dow  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:35:46 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

well, I'm not going to go into detail right now, but I'm pretty convinced....if you're interested I'd strongly recommend the one I mentioned above. In the appendix' are copied of translators/printers that explain the history of the finding of the ancient copy...it's Hebrew, wo the masoretic pointing
Offline Hermine Dow  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:43:28 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

and the story is that it is a copy from an ancient copy that survived the destruction of Jerusalem under Titus, made its way to Sevilia, and from there to Napuli, Spain. 12 identical copies were found...probably from Egypt under Ptolemy from the eral of the Septuagint. Also there were Greek copies from that era. I'm going to try get the story straighter from Ken Johnson, if I can.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:25:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I would be interested in seeing his evidence. I have run into similar arguments were people claim that X is authentic and preserved form an ancient copy, but then when you examine the evidence you find that it is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a claimed ancient manuscript that is no longer extant. Not saying this is the case, but I would examine the evidence carefully. Like I said what I was able to find of Yasher dates the earliest extant copy to the 1500s.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand