logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Juski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:26:10 PM(UTC)
Juski

So I was talking to my messianic Jewish friend about why she thought loads of Christians are returning to "Jewishness" and she said that maybe its because we are actually Jewish somewhere along our line. She thinks its wierd that I have a Jewish name (Judith) and that maybe I have Jewish heritage and my family forgot to tell me! So those of us who are seeking this truth are Jews returning to their roots.

So I was just wondering what others think of that idea - to be honest I kind of think its unlikely seeing as Jews are quite strict about who they marry and all, I can t see a Jew marrying someone outside of judaism and I cant see a Jewish couple losing all their hertitage. But then again Jews are not the worlds must favourite people so I could kind of see why they might.

In my heart I think I am a gentile grafted into the family myself. What do you think?

Offline rs  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 7:45:50 AM(UTC)
rs

There are some really interesting theories about British and American geneologies derived from the Lost Tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh. British is believed to be a Hebrew word meaning Covenant Man. Much of the theories are hard to prove but nonetheless make you wonder why there remains such a strong tie between Britian, America, and Israel.

The prophecies that speak to the People of the Coastlands and how Ephraim and Manasseh would fill the midst of the earth seem to point to a continued existence after the dispersion when Isreal was carried off by the Assyrians.

Ireland seems to have some connection to Israel with David's Harp in the Coat of Arms.

Anyway, these are just some of the things I've read and I hope I'm not passing on misinformation, but there are those that believe that the prophecies stating Yahweh's re-admittance of Israel (Ephraim and Manasseh) back into his good graces mean that there would be a literal bloodline that would be revealed.

I personally find this area of inquiry interesting, but of not too much value because whether you are Israel through blood or through "grafting in", you are the same in Yahweh's eyes.
Offline shohn  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 8:13:43 AM(UTC)
shohn

Just look up tribal migrations on google. Fascinating stuff.

You might also look up some of the Bering Strait theories regarding the American Indians. Now I'm not knowledgeable enough to actually confirm this, but the theory is that the Americas were migrated to from many more civilizations that is popularly known. I found some sites that even showed the similarities between some of the more ancient Hebrew letters and the Pueblo Indians. I purchased a couple of books regarding the origins of ancient Hebrew and was astounded to see such similarities.

Also, this ties into something I read somewhere else. I didn't bother investigating this too heaviliy, but supposedly the origins of the oriental spirtualism may have come from some sons of Noah ( i think) that were sent "EAST" at one point. I forget the exact reference in scripture that talks about this. The way this line of logic goes, is that somehow the word Tai Chai or however you spell that could be related to the Hebrew words for life etc, and in addition, supposedly there are some of the more ancient oriental spiritualism scrolls or whatever they wrote on that made reference to foreigners arriving out of the blue one day with all kinds of spiritual knowledge. Again, I didn't "research" this too heavily, but found it interesting.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline J&M  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 10:39:09 AM(UTC)
J&M

I have married into Judaism, I met my wife in 1977 whilst we were both working for IBM, she had a badge on saying 'Jesus Saves' which immediately took my attention.

This was the start of a culture shock - how different the Jewish culture is. But it is all built on a tradition. Jews who become 'Messianic' lose their right of return' (to Israel) because there is only one thing that really threatens Judaism and that is TRUTH.

Once we start understanding Yahweh's TRUTH we become Yehudim - real Jews, Yahweh's Jews. And whether 'Greek or Jew' 'Male or Female' the result is the same. Jane (my wife) gets irritated when people try to talk of her conversion to 'christianity', Yahweh is not going to work through messianic Jews or Christian gentiles, he will work through the Yehudim, whether grafted in as I am, or true (Sephardi) Jew like my wife.

Jane and I do not keep the Jewish tradition, but we do keep Yahweh's commands and appointments. To my family I have converted to 'Judaism', Jane's family are not sure what has happened.....

Offline Juski  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 12:16:14 PM(UTC)
Juski

Thanks for your replies. Very interesting :)
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 12:57:59 PM(UTC)
kp

On the other hand, prophetic scripture clearly differentiates between biological Israel---all twelve tribes---and the gentile nations who will pay homage to Yahweh during the Millennium. When writing Future History, one of the things that struck me most was the vast preponderance of prophetic passages---far more than on any other subject---that dealt with the restoration of Israel in the Kingdom age. We need to keep it straight: although salvation is of the Jews, it is for everyone, "to the Jew first and also to the barbarian." Judaic culture is no more efficacious in achieving our salvation that "Christian" culture is. The only thing that matters is our relationship with Yahweh, whether natural (Jewish) branches or wild grafted-in (gentile) cuttings.

By the way, the whole "British Israel" thing is bogus---totally groundless. It was promulgated as a way to improve the financial fortunes of the British monarchy during the days of Henry VIII. I touch on it in Future History, chapter 20: "Babylon is Fallen."

kp
Offline shalom82  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 1:41:55 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Kp, I understand completely that all this really doesn't matter and I agree that there will be nations and there will be a physical Israel in the millenium that will be full of mortal Israelites. But now for the time being, aren't Gentiles supposed to attach themselves to the Messiah of Israel and ultimately the Elohim of Israel? In a sense that we hold on to the covenent through the atoning sacrifice of Yahuweh in the flesh and obey the covenant stipulations due to our love of Yahuweh and our understanding of there purpose of witness and of benefit are we not at least spiritually attached to Israel in the here and now? I guess what I am getting is in a spiritual sense that we who are coming into true covenant faith at the age of consent in the here and now are liked the mighty mixed multitude that became Israel with the genetic Hebrews at the Base of Sinai, and in a spiritual sense then our children become like the native born? I am talking in a spiritual sense rather than a merely physical sense. Am I on the right track or am I far from from target? This is what I glean from Ephesians 2.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Ruchamah  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:41:53 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

well Shalom, it seems that this return of ALL the tribes is qwite important to the Almighty...as they are called by name in Revelation, some for the first time in 2700 years. Yes, they DO return, and like KP said, this is probably the most often reitierated prophecy in Scripture.
Ruch
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Offline Ruchamah  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:44:19 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

PS The word Jew is derived from JUDAH, or the Southern Kingdom, where Judah, Levi and Benjamin were located. All Jews are Isrealites, not all Israelites are Jews.
Ruch
Offline obadiah  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:54:32 PM(UTC)
obadiah

shohn wrote:
Just look up tribal migrations on google. Fascinating stuff.

...I found some sites that even showed the similarities between some of the more ancient Hebrew letters and the Pueblo Indians. I purchased a couple of books regarding the origins of ancient Hebrew and was astounded to see such similarities. ...

About the Language thing, I read a book once called " America B.C." It has tons of info about Rocks and grave sites and caves with paleo-Hebrew letters carved on them. Also some sort of weird Irish line writing. All this proof has been covered up, but it's there. Also in New Mexico, there is a huge boulder that has the ten commandments carved on it. You might find the book at your local library, or order it online. It's still in print. It has lots of black and white photos.
I'm the person on the right of the Rabbi.
Offline Theophilus  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:49:10 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I suppose it is possible that there are more people who are genetically related to Jacob/Irsrael than is known. I suspect the return to the Hebraic perspective on Scriptures is with the growing awareness or questioning of the Roman Church's authority, people would like to better understand the context of the srciptures. I hope I'm making sense.

On a related note, I realize in YY Adam is said not to be the first humanoid and that the flood of Noah did not destroy all other humans on the planet, yet the same chapter indicates that Noah's descendants did indeed spread out and multiply repopulating a devestated region and appaerently well beyond. I presume this does not indicate the all of the peoples of the world are genetically related to Noah though?

KP, Messiah wasn't British? Oh dear, what's next Columbus never made it to India?
Offline Ruchamah  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:43:18 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

Well. let's see now: The promise to Abraham was:

Quote:
Gen 17:2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

Quote:
Gen 17:4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Quote:
Gen 17:6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

Quote:
Gen 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

There ae currently 15 million Jews in the world, give or take. Ya figger the Promise is fulfilled?

Ruchamah

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:19:38 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Theophilus wrote:

KP, Messiah wasn't British? Oh dear, what's next Columbus never made it to India?

actually he was - the first thing he said to John the Baptist after coming up out of the water was "Oi John, get the kettle on! I'm gaspin for a brew!"

Maybe Swalcly can check if its in the Greek... ;)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 3:23:28 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Haha, I lived in the UK for 4 years, tea and coffee at work (and at home) are an absolute necessity, have on average 3 a day in the office. Coming from South Africa, coffee and tea is also a cultural thing since we have British ancestry, can trace my family line into Surrey, and I think Hampshire, going back 3-4 generations.

Anyway, I married a wife (with a full Jewish surname). Her father's line is Jewish, with her father born in Israel, but above him the family line gets mixed up. I will need to ask more questions to find out exactly what the history his. I know they moved back to Israel from Brazil some fifty years ago to start life there but ended up moving back to Brazil not long after that. Apparently the great grandmother, my children's great-great grandmother who's still alive, escaped from Europe to Brazil hiding in a ship somewhere during the 1910-20s era. Sorry for being so vague but I haven't asked many questions yet. However, my mother-in-law's side are Italian and obviously Catholics. My first child has an Italian first and second name while my second child has a British first name, Jewish second name, a Jewish surname and then my British surname to end the double-barrel surname. Crazy!

Anyway, how does Jewish ancestry work? How many generations is too far to be called a Jewish descendant? Matthew 1:1-17 and Luke 3:23-38 have different family lines for Yahshua, splitting up through David's children, Solomon and Nathan. Does this have any significance? Because I've heard that a Jewish person's bloodline is determined through the mother while a their tribe through the father, or something to that effect. Is this true? In this case my wife would belong to a Jewish tribe but not be Jewish by blood, meaning that my children have no Jewish blood and no tribe. They might have a trace of Jewish blood then through their mother. I'm gentile, British descent with no known Jewish links.

Or maybe I should just forget about this, go make myself a cup of tea, and be thankful that Yahweh has grafted me into the Tree.

Edited by user Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:28:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bitnet  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:38:12 AM(UTC)
bitnet

The four verses quoted by Ruch above do tell of: 1) multitudes of descendants; 2) many nations; 3) many kings and 4) the seed possessing the gate of the enemy. We do know the many kings part as both Yahuwdah and Yisrael had many kings, and we know who controls the gate, but many nations? And descendants numbering more than the sand on the shore or stars in the sky?

There is obviously more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps when the fullness of creation reaches its peak, when billions are grafted into the Family, promise number 1 will be fulfilled.

As for the many nations part... could it be post-Revelation? The answer is somewhere... just have to find it. We do know that Yahweh keeps His promises so it must be somewhere. Have to re-read all the books here again to get to the bottom of that. Information overload! But as Matthew says, time for a cuppa while I search and just be glad.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.