logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:43:44 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What are your opinions on Birthdays? Obviously people had birthdays in the scriptures because of the careful accounting of time and of geneaologies. But did they celebrate them? I put this under Torah because eventhough there is no direct prohibition against birthday celebrations in Torah, there is some pretty compelling evidence about how Yahuweh feels about them. I would like some opinions and thoughts and then I will present my opinion and my reasons for that opinion.
Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2007 10:11:29 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

well im quite worried that mine seems to happen faster every year...

depends what you mean by celebrate lol - in the US I think birthdays are quite a big thing yes? Over here, its really not that big, even kids birthday parties are mostly a fraction of what one in the US is.

I havnt found any reason yet not to remeber the day I my wife, friends or my kids were born.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Heretic Steve  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 12:12:42 PM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

An act of "self deification"? Not hardly. I see my birthday as another reminder of mortality and every year the "whisp of smoke" gets whispier and whispier.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:06:17 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Here are some very compelling links that have to do with birthdays

http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/birthday.html

Another thing to consider is this: Does anyone here celebrate their birthday according to the Lunar Hebrew calendar? The Gregorian Calender is a Pagan calendar an many of the months are named after Pagan Gods, deified emperors, or just have general pagan connotations
January/Janus
February/Februa (festival of expiation)
March/Mars
April/Aprilis (time of fertility)
May/Maia
June/Juno
July/Julius Caesar
August/ Octavius Augustus Caesar
Sept-Dec/names of months are Latin numbers

This was something that the Quakers understood and for a long time they called the names of months simply Month One, Month 2, Month 3 and so on. I am not condoning Quakerism or anything of that nature, just stating that this has been known since the days of old.

The days of the week also all have Pagan deities attached to them.
Sunday/Sun God
Monday/Moon Goddess
Tuesday/God Tyr
Wednesday/Woden/Odin
Thursday/Thor
Friday/Goddess Frigga
Saturday/Saturnus

I know that it's almost impossible to live in the Western world and not use or acknowledge the Gregorian calendar, but the pagan origins of these days and names are food for thought.

In the Millenium and subsequent new heaven and new earth period Yahuweh's calendar will surely be in use and our pagan reckoning will be long forgotten. It might be a good idea to try....at least try to have a knowlege of the Hebrew calendar and try to use it as much as possible

Shalom

My Birthday is the 13th of Chesvan, I don't plan to celebrate it but I do plan to mark it

Offline shohn  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 5:14:21 AM(UTC)
shohn

Didn't Daniel have a pagan name at one point? The reason I ask, is my wife is named after one of these pagan months.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline shalom82  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 8:51:21 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Belteshazzar, which he was GIVEN by the chief of the Babylonian officers. But I don't think he is ever referred to as that.

I am not saying your wife must or should change her name. That is a matter of the heart. But simply I was referring to the Pagan calendar which we use.
Offline Yada  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 9:20:58 AM(UTC)
Yada

Shalom - yikes - did I read your post correctly? Were you not, but indirectly were, suggesting that someone's wife consider changing their name? What about your name or that of your wife? Are they up for discussion/closer scrutiny?

Edited by user Friday, October 5, 2007 11:31:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline shalom82  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 9:46:17 AM(UTC)
shalom82

No I was not and I thought I made that pretty clear
Do you want me to deny facts and say that Daniel chose that name which he did not?

I was absolutely clear when I said that I was not saying that his wife should or must change her name. Then I went on to say I was referring to the Pagan calendar which we use. Thoughout my posts I was making the case for integrating the Hebrew Lunar calendar into our lives as much as possible while fully realizing the impossibility of completely doing away with the Pagan Gregorian calendar.

As far as being indirectly pushing the change of name no I was not. It is a matter of the heart. I have known of many former Muslims who have changed their names from Muhammad to other Hebrew names because they didn't want to be associated with the prophet of Allah. That was their choice to make and I respect that. If however there was a former Muslim who came to the truth of Yahuweh and kept his name as Muhammad or whatever the name would be I would not bat an eye at that.

I am kind of hurt that you put so much reading into what I wrote. I really thought I was clear about this on my post.

My name is Jacob and my wife's name is Snow, you can put them under scrutiny all you want.
Offline shalom82  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 9:54:19 AM(UTC)
shalom82

"I know that it's almost impossible to live in the Western world and not use or acknowledge the Gregorian calendar, but the pagan origins of these days and names are food for thought."

"In the Millenium and subsequent new heaven and new earth period Yahuweh's calendar will surely be in use and our pagan reckoning will be long forgotten. It might be a good idea to try....at least try to have a knowlege of the Hebrew calendar and try to use it as much as possible."

Shalom

"My Birthday is the 13th of Chesvan, I don't plan to celebrate it but I do plan to mark it."

This was not about names Yada until shohn asked about his wife's name. He brought up Dani'el which I put some pertinent information about. Do you deny that he was given the name Beltehazzar? It's one thing to be born with a Pagan name, it's something completely different to be abducted from your homeland, made a eunuch, and given a strange pagan name. I know that Hadassah took on the name of Esther at the advice of Mordechai and that Esther does indeed have pagan connections and she went on to do great things for her people.

Can't my writing be my writing mean plainly what it was meant to mean instead of somehow putting underhanded connotations into it?
Offline Yada  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 10:15:57 AM(UTC)
Yada

So if, given the example that you cited, a "converted Muslim" changes their name to "Moe" (as in the Three Stooges = Moe) - would that meet with your approval/satisfy whatever criteria you have established?

I think that we are starting to miss the point here - it is HIS Name and the re-establishment of its meaning and proper use that are important. We must turn to Him - not on each other.

I did feel that there was a veiled suggestion in your post and, consenquently, felt compelled to respond.

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline shalom82  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 10:48:37 AM(UTC)
shalom82

I never had any criterea and I made that obviously clear. I said if Muslims or anybody chooses to change their name fine by me, if not fine by me as well.

So I guess we have come to the point where you can read our minds and know what or what not we are thinking. I gave an explanation after your comment if anyone doubted the sincerity of my response to Shohn. I explained myself and made myself clear, if you cannot accept that I am sorry. But I have made it clear that I was not mandating, suggesting, or advocating the changes of names.

And I found your comment about scrutinizing names rather arrogant and presumptive. I am not turning to anybody and from the start I have on this forum declared the name of YHWH and his messiah. Shohn has to do absolutely nothing to please me or the greater body of believers.

Is this the kind of treatment that I can come to expect here on this forum?
Offline Icy  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 10:55:57 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Not to pick sides, as this certainly is not a place such things, but I would like to assure you Shalom82 that I did not read into what you said anything like Yada is suggesting. Certainly there has just been a misunderstanding. Your posts have been good, thought provoking posts, and I would like to assure you that this is not the kind of treatment you can expect here. There is only one person that should even be having this sort of discussion with you, and that would be shohn (or his wife if she is on here) and even then it should be in a private message.
Offline shalom82  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 12:02:59 PM(UTC)
shalom82

I apologize to all if I became heated or divisive. I would like to make clear my position just in case I did not make it clear in my other posts.

Names are very personal issues of the heart. They are the calling cards which are mothers and fathers gave us. We own them from the day we are born and the a degree they shape peoples perceptions and our own perceptions about ourselves. All the time growing up I hated my name because it sounded so different in a school full of Jonns, Jacks, Ryans, and Justins. I was the only one with a very strong Hebrew name in school. I liked my middle name William much better. When I was young I thought about how I would change it when I was old enough. The time came and I couldn't do it. It had become a very large part of who I was and after I learned the significance of Jacob in the scriptures I grew to love my name. This was the name my parents had given me at my birth and this was no small issue to take lightly. A name is a very grave matter.

As I said before I have not mandate, desire or criterea to change names. Infact in most cases I would say a change is inadvisable, but if a person after a long deliberation chose to change their name for solid reasons I would be for them. If they chose not to change their name I would also be for them. I would never even suggest to a person that they should change their name.

My sister's fiance' is an Iraqi who became a believer in Messiah about 10 years ago. He has been to prison, had to flee Iraq, was expelled from Jordan and advised to leave Egypt. He has been beaten and spit on and chased. His name is Tariq. How could I dare sa to him after all he has been through, "Your name doesn't sound like a believer's name. You should change it." I care more about the content of his heart and how it has been refined and proven than the sound or content of his name. If he one day came to the family and said after a long deliberation that he had decided to change his name, I would support him not out of any desire for him to have a Hebrew name, but because he made a very tough personal choice and is severing himself from part of who he is and has become.

I apologize to Yada, if I was not clear but I would appreciate it if you would take me at me word and accept my elaborations. This post was about birthdays and calendars and was never meant to address the issue of names. I hope you undertand that I have not established any criterea which I wish to be satisfied and that is not my choice to make or even suggest. I am not missing any point as this was never an issue for me. I recognize the importance of re-establishing the name of YHWH and his Messiah, and in the general scheme of things the non importance of people changing their names. I really am still hard pressed to get how you got a veiled message from my reply to Shohn seeing as it was so short. But I will apologize once more for anything implied or otherwise gleaned from the message. I hope my explanations will be accepted and I assure you my admiration for you has not ceased.
Shalom
Offline kp  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 12:37:46 PM(UTC)
kp

As far as birthdays go, the only ones that count (in my humble estimation) are the ones that mark our birth into the family of Yahweh. Now that's something worth celebrating once a year. Unfortunately for me, I don't know mine. I was so young, it didn't occur to me to take note of the date. Suddenly, I don't feel so old---in reality, I'm only 54!

And the names we were given by our parents on our birthdays? Those don't count for much either. Take a look at the collected promises Yahshua made to "those who overcome" within His Ekklesia (Revelation 2 and 3). Note how many of them have to do with our names---not our human names, but those which will be given to us by God, or those that will be based upon His name. "To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God…. He shall not be hurt by the second death…. I will give [him] some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it…. I will give [him who keeps my works until the end] power over the nations—“He shall rule them with a rod of iron; They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels”— as I also have received from My Father; and I will give him the morning star…. [He] shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels…. I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. And I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name…. I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."

Until then, I'll just settle for initials...
kp
Offline shalom82  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 1:13:48 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Leave it to KP to make nincompoops of us all
Offline shohn  
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:27:44 PM(UTC)
shohn

Sorry about the mix up, wasn't trying to start a flame war. Perhaps we all need to realize that the words a person uses on this forum may not accurately capture their facial expressions, etc. at the time the post was written.

The main thing I was trying to get at is that Daniel didn't seem opposed to being given a pagan name; however, he was opposed to dining on swine and partying hardy with the king, right? He drew a line in the sand. Why? The wife's name question was a bit rhetorical, but I thought it would open the discussion up even further.

The very topic of birthdays and weddings on the Sabbath opens up a whole laundry list of other things to consider.

What I was trying to suggest with the question was in alignment with a previous posters comment about how far to take this in regards to creating situations where others would be working on the Sabbath. I suspect, that at some point, we may start to lose the spirit of the law by focusing too much on the letter. Where that balance is at, I dunno, but I think it could tie into another post I read about the "weightier" elements of the law. It is permissible to do good on the Sabbath, and apparently fetching a pack animal out of a ditch isn't so bad either (unless I missed the point of that passage).

This ties into a lot of areas.. what do I do if I am a guest at someone's house and am presented with a nice big fat ham as the main course. I remember reading somewhere about Paul saying refuse nothing, but then that isn't exactly what Daniel did. Perhaps this goes into what was considered "food"; therefore, Paul would never have been in a situation to actually dine on swine maybe. Part of me suspects that he was trying to say that if by offending your host by not eating what is presented, you lose your ability to relate to them what you have discovered in the beneficial message, then actually you've violated a greater law. I also recall Paul saying something about going as far as he could in becoming like other folks to spread the word. There was a line that he couldn't or wouldn't cross.

This could also tie into eating meat sacrificed to idols, on the surface it seems that Paul was indicating that it is a matter of conscience, but then on the surface it seems in conflict with the chastisement received by one of the assemblies in Revelation for the meat sacrificed to idols. I remember reading somewhere, that if we look deeper into it, the message was something like not giving "credence" to the idea that the idols had any power by avoiding them when purchasing at the market. If we were to avoid purchasing such meats at the market that were labeled as being offered to idols, then it might give our brother the idea that they have power or something if they saw us avoiding such things, thus causing our brother to stumble.

I guess boils down to a matter of conscience eventually, but it seems like many of Yahshua's teaching were based on the "weight" of the laws as far as which outweighed another in a given situation, not simply what our conscience dictates. Or something like that, I'm probably just making this up as I'm going along.

I hope some of this made sense - sorry about inadvertently starting a flame war.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Heretic Steve  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:22:16 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

I could be mistaken, but I believe the current hebrew lunar calendar is also pagan and the names of the month were picked up during the Bab captivity.

Like all other calendars, the Babylonian calendar had twelve lunar months (about 354 days) and a problem to make these fit the solar year (about 365 days). In the western calendar, this is solved by cutting the tie between the lunar phase and the calendar month; the Babylonians found a different solution by adding leap months. In the table below, you will find the names of the Babylonian month and two calendars that were inspired by the Babylonian example.
Babylonian Jewish Persian Julian calendar
I Nisannu Nisan Adukanaiša March/April
II Ajaru Iyyar Thûravâhara April/May
III Simanu Sivan Thâigaciš May/June
IV Du'ûzu Tammuz Garmapada June/July
V Âbu Ab Turnabaziš July/August
VI Ulûlu Elul Karbašiyaš August/September
VII Tašrîtu Tishri Bâgayâdiš September/October
VIII Arahsamna Marheshvan Markâsanaš October/November
IX Kislîmu Kislev Âçiyâdiya November/December
X Tebêtu Tebeth Anâmaka December/January
XI Šabatu Shebat Samiyamaš January/February
XII Addaru Adar Viyaxana February/March

This did'nt c&p so well. The first names are Bab, second, Heb, third, Persian.

Offline Heretic Steve  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:27:08 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendago are all also assumed/assigned Bab names.
Offline shalom82  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 1:58:39 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Heretic,
Yeah, your right. I did some research on it after the initial post because I did indeed know that Tammuz was a pagan name adopted by the Yahudim in Babylon during the captivity. And I cannot argue with you. It does indeed look like the Jews used simple number names for their months as they did with their days. It looks like the Quakers were right in their practice.

So I suppose I was born on the 14th day of the eighth month and not Chesvan or Bul.

I suppose that I jumped to conclusions. Thankyou for bringing that to my attention.

I hope you can understand my intent. I have simply been trying to get as much Paganism out of my life as possible, because there is already way too much in it to begin with. I understand that we will not be able to get all of it out, but that which I can prevent or get around I generally do make an effort to do. I am not mandating anyone else to do so. At work or with family that doesn't accept the way I have to use and acknowledge the solar/pagan calendar. But in private and when I fellowship with other believers I try do as much as I can to avoid it. I have been using the Hebrew names for days or just saying the first day or the second day. I don't mandate this, I just want to do it.

And as far as birthdays go, I still believe there is no reason to celebrate them and there are enough pagan influences and practices ingrained in them that I just in my humble opinion try to avoid them.

Shalom
Offline Matthew  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:57:08 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If I do a date conversion for my birthday using the first websites found through a Google search I get 7 Sivan 5948 (corrected date), 2nd day of Shavuot. Does the 2nd Day of Shavuot have any significant bearing?

The calendar conversion erroneously said it was year 5741.

And why don't the Jews correct the date, or are they blind to the real date? Is there a difference between today's Jewish calendar and a Scripturally correct calendar besides the year date? If this is mentioned in the FH book, which I believe it was, then just quote the chapter and page number, or copy and paste here.

Edited:
I've just remembered Roman 11:8 "As it has been written, "Yahweh has given them a spirit of deep sleep, eyes not to see and ears not to hear, unto this day." What's the take on this verse? Does anyone think the calendar being out by 206 years bears any significance? Because in the gentile world there was an extreme amount of speculation put on the year 2000, we even had a journalist come to our house to ask us questions regarding the birth of my child who was to be born sometime around the date of 06/06/2006. Do you think Yahweh can be using this calendar mix-up to His advantage, in so keeping the Jews from becoming anxious and allowing time for the gentiles to be complete? As it says in verse 25: "For I do not wish you to be ignorant of this secret, brothers, lest you should be wise in your own estimation, that hardening in part has come over Yisrael, until the completeness of the gentiles has come in."

Because surely if the year 6000 was coming on the Jewish calendar then the Jews would start looking for signs. Or is my interpretation just speculation?

Edited by user Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:51:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified