logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Woast  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:36:55 PM(UTC)
Woast

Hello,

This is my first time posting here and I'm very new to forums in general. Also, I've not even finished ITG, though when time allows I am eagerly progressing through it! The question I have concerns Buddhism.

My roommate is willing to discuss religions with me. He holds belief in many Buddhist principles along with many humanist ideals, though he doesn't necessarily label himself a Buddhist. While I'm not quite even within the covenant (I haven't even observed the seven Miqra'ey yet), I'm impatient in wanting to share with him my discoveries. I would like to ask him some pointed questions about Buddhism but unfortunately I don't even know where to look for information on that religion and I don't have a great deal of time to research it as I'm still working through ITG & YY. How should I proceed? What sort of questions can I ask of him that might provoke research on both our parts?

Yada spends a great deal of time renouncing Christianity in ITG and for good reason, but I've found very little direct comparisons or criticisms of Buddhism.

If there are any who have some knowledge or insight into how Buddhism compares to Yah's Towrah, please share!

- JC (a.k.a. "Woast")

Edited by user Monday, December 17, 2012 8:12:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dajstill  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:00:41 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

My question would be - what is your point in discussing with your roommate? Is your desire for open dialog and communication or "evangelism"? If your reason is for general discussion, simply ask him about his beliefs and have dialog from there. It will allow you to learn more about the belief system of Buddhism. If your reason is "evangelism", I would hold off on that entire notion until you are more firm in your understanding and know exactly where "you" stand and how "you" feel and what "you" know. I definitely understand enthusiasm. You can absolutely share what are you learning with your roommate as it is fascinating. In fact, maybe you talking about your own personal journey will jog his own interest in learning more. But, this journey is personal and revolves around personal relationship with Yahowah. Everyone gets free will and they get to seek and in their own seeking they find. So, I would probably hold off quite a bit on a mission of evangelism and simply focus on learning, growing, and sharing what you have come to know for yourself without any plans of converting others. As you grow, you will find many opportunities to share with your roommate and your passion may even spark something in him. Take your time, relax, and enjoy the ride for yourself.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:30:37 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I would second dajstill's advice. Figure out where you stand before you start reaching out to others. Discuss it with him by all means, but don't start by attacking or asking pointed questions about his beliefs.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline InHisName  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:16:04 AM(UTC)
InHisName

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Hi JC, (interesting initials ;-) )

I would agree with Dajstill and James, I don't think confronting him will be productive, not to mention you would have to wallow in the buddhist garbage yourself to find your arguments. Your time is much better spent learning about and coming to know Yah.

However, sharing with him your own discoveries, the things that make you sit back in your chair and say OMG (in a good way), could be a powerful testimony to him. I think most westerners looking at buddhism are searching for the truth. Eventually, you will share something with him that will challenge him.

The only proof we have that Yah's Word is true is the Word itself. It contains prophecy that is accurate and verifiable. The most important aspect of that prophecy is that it proves that the author was Yahowah Himself. Religions DO NOT HAVE THAT PROOF, they only have (or pay attention to) the writings of men. Paul, Mohammed, Buddha; none of these did prophecy. While jews and christians have Yah's Word in their hand, they do not follow it, instead they follow the talmud and the 'New Testament'.

Welcome JC

Offline JamesH  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:49:48 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Welcome Woast

I would like to third Djstill 

One thing I learned most recent is we are all here because we are seeking YHWH.

We are all in different places in our journey so like others here have said focus on your journey, read the material use the tools and resources available. Ask questions.

And for those we know caught in religion just show them where YHWH's path begins. 

As much as we want our friends and loved ones to see and learn the exciting things we have found in Yah's word. It is still their personal choice of which path they follow.

So start on YHWH's path and hope your friend comes along.

JamesH
Offline cgb2  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:28:34 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Woast,
That must have been your call into shattering myths today. Great discussion, and also affirmed the advice given in this thread.
Seems Yada has studied the history of Buddism for good answers.

I forgot if in ItG, YY or somewhere else in the discussion of 3 doors (eternal life, death, eternal separation), Yada pointed out that the victims of buddism will get their wish on the first attempt.....nothingness.
Offline Woast  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:06:58 PM(UTC)
Woast

Thank you all for your input!

My intent in asking about Buddhism was purely for the purpose of discussion and clarification. I know very little about it and it's history. In discussion with my roommate I'm quite careful not to "jump the gun" as it were concerning my recent research, however I'm quite comfortable in being honest should he ask me directly about what it is I'm doing or where some of my "beliefs" are held. Until then I will endeavor to keep the peace and "relax, and enjoy the ride".

I am indeed excited to continue my own personal journey to/with Yah and I look forward to learning more every day. You have my appreciation for your kind answers and guidance. Thank You!

- JC (a.k.a. "Woast")

P.S. "Hi JC, (interesting initials ;-) )" <<< I am also the son of a carpenter... kinda weird. Also some thanks to Yada on Shattering Myths for his excellent insights and continued focus on YHWH.