logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 1:37:59 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I am looking in my Scriptures book and Genesis 15:2 has Abram saying "Master YHWH"

However, in reading James' amplified Bereshith it doesn't have the "Master". Is the "Master" in the Masocretic text, but not the DSS? I am just trying to figure out when the "Master" got added. In the Amplified Bible and the KJV it, of course, has "Lord". However, the Amplified Bible will usually indicate when a word was added with italics, but there are no italics around "Lord".
Offline dajstill  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 1:47:07 AM(UTC)
dajstill

I would also be interested in what Hebrew word for "Master" was used in this section as well.
Offline cgb2  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 3:01:40 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I seem to recall that as an example of many places the Massorettes added adon or adoni (master/lord) to the text as revealed in DSS. Yada even comments that w/oppresive religions often paint God a lord, so people controlled and plundered don't mind as much.
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 3:21:52 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dajstill wrote:
I am looking in my Scriptures book and Genesis 15:2 has Abram saying "Master YHWH"

However, in reading James' amplified Bereshith it doesn't have the "Master". Is the "Master" in the Masocretic text, but not the DSS? I am just trying to figure out when the "Master" got added. In the Amplified Bible and the KJV it, of course, has "Lord". However, the Amplified Bible will usually indicate when a word was added with italics, but there are no italics around "Lord".

My translation of this verse reads, "But ‘Abram said (‘amar) to Yahowah, the father and head of the
family
(‘eden - the upright pillar of the tabernacle), ‘What am I to be given
(mah nathan)? I walk (halak - journey) childless (‘aryry - without a son or
daughter) and the heir to my household is ‘Eli’ezer (eli’ezer 􀂱 God is my
help) of Damascus (dammeseq 􀂱 activity, moist with blood, oldest standing city
in the world, city of the plateau, North East of Mt. Hermon).’"

And it is not really my translation. Early on I was just filling in the gaps that Yada had not done, and verses that he had already translated I just checked and left. As I got better I decided I was going to forget about Yada's and just translate it myself, but many of the early chapters still have a lot of Yada's stuff in it.

That said the reason Master does not appear in the translation is because the Hebrew word was translated at father and head of the family, the upright pillar of the tabernacle. The reason being it is identical in Hebrew to the word for lord and master once you strip away the masoretic vowel pointing. The word is Alef Dalet Nun Yod,אֲדֹנָי, the masorets choose to point it as 'adonay, but an equally valid rendering is 'edenay. While 'adonay has a range of meaning from father to lord and master, 'edenay means the upright pillar, the base or foundation. The 'adonay connotations seem to flow from the 'edenay definition, i.e. the father is the foundation of a household, the lord is the base and foundation of the kingdom etc.

Since both are equally valid renderings of the word it is up to the translator to determine which fits better in the context. The masoretes believed the 'adonay fit better, coincidentally it fit there replacement of Yahowah with the LORD. Yada and I both feel that 'edenay fits better in relation to God. I usually foot note my translations with stating the alternative, but like I said this was early on and I didn't here.

Can't help but see a connection between Yahowah being the upright pillar, and the upright pillar upon which Yahowsha was hung.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline dajstill  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 7:39:42 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Thanks, this really helps. I actually think when there are choices like "edenay" versus "adonay", both are correct - it just depends on where you are standing. Religious individuals will always see Yahowah as "lord, master, ruler" and will be waiting in anticipation for their "judgement", which they will get. Those in the family was simply be waiting for Daddy.

Imagine a man that has several children, but also works as a judge. A felon awaiting conviction will have a much different view of said man than the kids sitting at the dinner table waiting to tell dad about their day.

Hebrew was absolutely the perfect language for Yahowah to speak to us.
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 11:34:54 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dajstill wrote:
Thanks, this really helps. I actually think when there are choices like "edenay" versus "adonay", both are correct - it just depends on where you are standing. Religious individuals will always see Yahowah as "lord, master, ruler" and will be waiting in anticipation for their "judgement", which they will get. Those in the family was simply be waiting for Daddy.

Imagine a man that has several children, but also works as a judge. A felon awaiting conviction will have a much different view of said man than the kids sitting at the dinner table waiting to tell dad about their day.

Hebrew was absolutely the perfect language for Yahowah to speak to us.

I'm inclined to agree. I used to hate them because they are hard to translate, but the dual, positive and negative, meaning words have become my favorite, because they reveal so much about choice and consequence.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Sarah  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 4:11:42 PM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've been thinking about Yahowsha's ordeal, torture, and death on the upright pole. It is true that the normal sacrificial lamb was offered to Yahowah, on His altar, by slitting the throat, and having the animal die without pain, have certain organs removed, burning all or part of it, and having spilled all of its blood. On the other hand, Yahowsha's ordeal was quite different: torture, not on Yahowah's altar but on a pagan implement, and maybe not even having all of his blood removed. So, it seems that Yahowsha's sacrifice was a different 'kind' than all those Yahowah prescribed -- his seems to be a little more related to the bronze serpent -- which leads me to think that there was some situation in eternity past where God 'agreed' to deliver His 'blood' to the Adversary in order to 'release' us -- or something to that effect. Any ideas?

Offline Steve in PA  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 7:47:03 PM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The adversary is vain and clueless still. Yah made no deals nor bargains... He did what He planed and promised is all.
Offline dajstill  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:23:43 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Here is my take, and I am willing to have people give theirs.

Yahowah went into covenant relationship with Abraham. When the covenant was being sealed, Abraham slept while Yahowah walked the covenant alone. In my understanding of the covenant process, both parties would walk the covenant (walking between a sacrificed animal cut in half, then cooking and eating the animal together) that it showed if either party broke the covenant - that party would have to make a sacrifice involving death, often of a relative (son). Covenants were serious business. Since Yahowah walked the covenant alone, He was taking on the responsibility for either party breaking the covenant. He knew which side would break the covenant (man) and He already had a plan for the redemption of the covenant being broken (Yahowsha').

Yahowsha' was NOT "given over" the adversary, nor was "He" killed on our behalf. His human body was sacrificed on a pillar. The covenant was both spiritual and natural (sands of the sea, stars of the sky), therefore the price for breaking the covenant was both spiritual and natural. The natural was the death of the human body that Yahowsha' lived in - once and done. The spiritual was the separation that Yahowsha' endured.

When considering that Yahowsha' is a Set Apart piece of Yahowah, it is easier for me to understand it in this way. Some person needed to pay the natural/human price for the covenant being broken, to redeem it. Yahowah, not into "human" sacrifice - allowed that Set Apart piece of Himself to go through the process of humanity, be "born of a woman" (whether or not it was a virgin birth I could care less at this point in the conversation). Yahowah walked the covenant alone, Yahowah paid for the covenant alone - through a piece of Himself. For the spiritual aspect - the penalty for the spirits/souls/whatever that become a part of Yahowah's family is to be separated for breaking the covenant. Yahowah took on that penalty as well.

Now, while the penalty was paid, it was only paid for those that are a part of Yahowah's family. The covenant is about relationship and being a part of the everlasting family. The covenant is only with the family line of Abraham. Being a part of the "family" is determined by your Mother (thus Yahowsha' saying one must be "born again"). You must be covered by the Set Apart Spirit so that you can be properly identified as a part of the family, a beneficiary of the covenant. Thus the need to "Honor your Mother and your Father that you days may be long".

That is at least the way I see things at this moment.
Offline FredSnell  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:17:17 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
^
Nice observation!
Offline Sarah  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:49:40 PM(UTC)
Sarah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That's a great outline. I'm just wondering why there was never a precedent for a "tortured" sacrifice.
Offline dajstill  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:49:39 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Sarah wrote:
That's a great outline. I'm just wondering why there was never a precedent for a "tortured" sacrifice.

Did Yahowah tell those men to torture Yahowsha'? The body of Yahowsha' was the sacrifice, I don't know that it couldn't have been humane. Man chose to beat and torture along the way. That is my take on the situation.