logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JamesH  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:01:35 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sorry.  Moved the subject

Just for the record I was trying to show how YHWH is unchanged in the Torah  and the NT says peace, love, god is not jealous, grace and god would never kill a baby or anyone.

YHWH  "has killed babies and parents"

YHWH  "Will kill babies and parents when he returns"

FOR DISOBEYING YHWH's TORAH ! 
Offline dajstill  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:07:18 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
JamesH wrote:
Sorry.  Moved the subject

Just for the record I was trying to show how YHWH is unchanged in the Torah  and the NT says peace, love, god is not jealous, grace and god would never kill a baby or anyone.

YHWH  "has killed babies and parents"

YHWH  "Will kill babies and parents when he returns"

FOR DISOBEYING YHWH's TORAH ! 

JamesH,

So, it is your premise that if "I" disobey the Torah, Yah may just kill my children (even with a slow painful death) today? I still don't understand the killing of babies, but letting the disobedient person live. Why the death of the child alone when Dowd was the one who did the crime. That is where my trouble is. The same is with 2 Samuel 12:11 - is Yahowah saying Dowd's wives will be raped because Dowd sinned?
Offline JamesH  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:47:28 AM(UTC)
JamesH

dajstill wrote:
JamesH,

So, it is your premise that if "I" disobey the Torah, Yah may just kill my children?

Why do you want to disobey the Torah?

Do you want to do what David did?
Offline dajstill  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:59:02 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Why do you want to disobey the Torah?

Do you want to do what David did?

who said I want to disobey the Torah. And, that isn't the question, the question is, if "I" do it, whether on purpose or on accident, will Yah kill my children as "my" punishment. If my husband disobeyed - rather on purpose or on accident, would Yah have me raped?
Offline JamesH  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:41:03 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Are you or your husband going to accidentally have an affair?

YHWH has a provision for a true accident in his Law.

If an affair on purpose, then whatever YHWH 's Judgment will be

Will be just 
Offline dajstill  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:44:22 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Are you or your husband going to accidentally have an affair?

YHWH has a provision for a true accident in his Law.

If an affair on purpose, then whatever YHWH 's Judgment will be

Will be just 

It would be just to have "me" raped if my husband had an affair with another woman? 2 Samuel 12:11 doesn't say "your wife" it says "your wives". So, even those that "didn't" participate were in that category. So, again, if my husband has an affair - you are declaring it would be "just" for me to be raped?
Offline JamesH  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:58:13 AM(UTC)
JamesH

dajstill wrote:
you are declaring it would be "just" for me to be raped?

I didn't declare that it is just

YHWH declared Judgment 

David said it was just

The Judgment on David came from a Just Judge YHWH
Offline dajstill  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:07:25 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
I didn't declare that it is just

YHWH declared Judgment 

David said it was just

The Judgment on David came from a Just Judge YHWH

I'm sorry, but who would want a relationship like that? A relationship where "my" failures cause the most vile and horrid events are heaped upon my loved ones? Who would want a relationship where a man is looking at his wife having been raped and declare "Yup, that seems fair." I was so hoping "my" interpretations were wrong, that what I was reading just couldn't be. Not the Yahowah I have come to love and thought I knew. But thinking of Dowd standing over a dead baby and saying "Yes, that looks about right", then over a humiliated and trampled wife and say "once again, this makes perfect sense". Really?

So, women and children "are" just like animals used in sacrifice. When a man fails, either one of his animals "or" one of his wives or children will do to pay restitution? Okay. Umm, wow.
Offline James  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:09:16 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
FYI verses 10, 11 and 12 are not extant in the DSS at all. There is a gap between 9 and 13 to allow there to have been verses there, but we can not be certain if the text we have is the text originally there.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:32:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Also food for thought. I have not done the research myself, but I have heard that there are those that make the case that the book/s of Samuel are not Scripture, that they were histories, the same with Kings and Chronicles. I have not studied any of the three in depth so I can not say either or, but if they are histories and thus men recording and interpreting what happened, a child being ill could have been attributed to Yahowah when it was just a natural illness that Yah refused to heal as a result of Dowd's actions.

The key question to this would be does the book of Samuel contain Yah's signature, prophecy?

Offline dajstill  
#61 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:23:13 PM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:
Also food for thought. I have not done the research myself, but I have heard that there are those that make the case that the book/s of Samuel are not Scripture, that they were histories, the same with Kings and Chronicles. I have not studied any of the three in depth so I can not say either or, but if they are histories and thus men recording and interpreting what happened, a child being ill could have been attributed to Yahowah when it was just a natural illness that Yah refused to heal as a result of Dowd's actions.

The key question to this would be does the book of Samuel contain Yah's signature, prophecy?

This is something to chew on. It just doesn't read like say Isaiah or Jeremiah. It has a flare more like Job and yes Kings. Things were always clear in Isaiah when someone or some situation was being used to teach a lesson for generations. Makes sense that this falls into the "interesting reading, but don't get life lessons from it" category. I just kept saying - I understand how Yah dealt with Abraham and Moseh, but His dealings with Dowd according to Samuel just don't make any sense to me.
It just wasn't the Yahowah that I have come to know. Not that it couldn't be true, just that is seemed inconsistent with His other teachings. For instance, Moseh was integrally important to our having the Torah - but he still wasn't allowed to go into the promise land. Yah didn't say "Oh Moseh, you are some important that I forgive you and you are good to enter in, but that wife of yours is going to be raped daily be a group of badgers." Yah protected Sarah from being molested even when Abraham lied and said she was his sister. He seemed to be so loving and gentle with women and children that belonged to Him; something is completely different with Dowd though. It doesn't feel the same.
Offline FredSnell  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:50:17 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I know how special he is to Yah that I couldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, and I looked for answer all over the place and still not settled. But, if God so loved Dowd that we view the lineage through him, then I'm gonna leave it to Gods sovereignty. There are things in scripture that maybe we will never understand until God Himself explains it. Sort of like Yada mentioned about God not knowing everything about us. Maybe one night sitting around the campfire as David plays his instrument, then Yahowah will explain it to us as we listen. Some things I don't need an answer to, and await His reason.
It's been an interesting thread reading though, what my brothers and sisters think. But what He thinks is what matters and no one out there seems to have a good answer that fits. So, maybe James is right with his key question. Who knows?
Offline dajstill  
#63 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:58:40 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Well, I am going to say this and then be done with it. It is very "religious" to sit around discussing who can and cannot be examined for truth. How is that different than xthains saying you can't question Paul? My goal is to get to the truth about the nature of Yahowah, and I will question anyone and everyone that seems to present a picture of Yah that is inconsistent with the rest of His nature and what He said about Himself. To indicate that Dowd might be "too special", "too important", "too close" to question these writings reek's of religion. People hear will mock the inaccurate picture of "Jesus", but Dowd can't be touched? Really? He is more special that "jebus"?
I personally would rather die in the wilderness searching for truth and questioning things that defy logic than to enter into the promise land believing my Father authorizes the rape of women - period. I am not going to accept that my Father punishes men by having their wives raped. Do you all have any idea how horrible rape is? Would you really walk into a room, see your wife in a heap on the floor, covered in blood and bruises and completely humiliated and declare "oh well, God is just"? Would you really watch your child die a slow and agonizing death, from all indications a painful death, and say in your heart of hearts "well, the kid must have had it coming."
Yes, I am going to question why Dowd mourned the death of Amnon, who was killed by Abshalom for RAPING Dowd's daughter! Why do we hear about him mourning for Amnon, not looking at Abshalom for 2 years, yet we hear nothing of him comforting Tamar. Who took care of Tamar - ABSHALOM, why is that? I asked what I felt was a legitimate question - is the same word for "lay with" used for Bathsheba and Dowd the same word for "lay with" used for Tamar and Amnon. No response apart from don't question this matter, Yah loved Dowd. Sorry, but it may be ugly, it may be uncomfortable, it may make you sweat, and shake, and tremble, and fear, and dread - but there is nothing at all to indicate Bathsheba was a willing participant in this affair. A woman whose husband was off fighting a war is simply taking a bath. The beloved king sends his men for her. What are her choices? "No" didn't work for Tamar. Once Tamar was raped by Amnon she asked him not to send her away, because that was worse than rape. So, Bathsheba becoming Dowd's "wife" is still no indication she was a willing participant in the first encounter. Why was it okay for Dowd to keep her as a wife? Why was he allowed to parade her around after he killed a man to get her? Do you mean to tell me, in your heart of hearts, that is seems fine with Yahowah for rich and powerful men to kill "lesser" men for their beautiful wives and that Yah will bless the children of that union (since aparently this baby needed to die, but Shelomoh was okay)? Look at your wife. Look at her in the eye. I want you to tell her that it might be Yah's will for some powerful guy that Yah loves to come and have you killed so he can have sex with her and make babies that will build wonderful temples to Yah. And please don't tell me that Dowd was "special", what does that make Uriyah? Someone even indicated that Uriyah should have just went in and had sex with her. Really, and cover up Dowd's sin? Would the child still have died? Would the child have been allowed to become king?
The incidents surrounding Dowd as put forth in 2 Samuel absolutely, positively throw out the concept of free will. They indicate some people are "more special" than others and that if a "special" person sins against Yah, Yah will simply punish the "lessors". I am not questioning whether or not Dowd was loved, I am questioning the events put forth in the book of 2 Samuel. These events are completely inconsistent with the nature of Yah. Show me any other time that Yahowah indicated that the rape of women was a valid punishment for the sins of men. Yah was protective of women in His Family that He kept Sarah from being raped/molested even when Abraham put her in that position and literally gave her away - twice. Yah was so protective of the children in His family that He always created a way for children to be spared from punishment - whether it be the blood on the doorpost or Egyptian women disobeying an order from the Pharaoh himself to kill them. Why in the world would I then begin to believe and accept that Yah changed all of that for His "love of Dowd" and start raping the women of HIS Family and killing the babies of HIS Family. These weren't women outside His Family, these were daughters of Yahowah Himself. If I am not protected in my Father's house - where can I be safe? If Yahowah Himself would give me away to be raped or have my watch my child die a slow and agonizing death - who can I turn to? Who can ever love me? And to watch a board of men sit here and say "well, Yah is just", "well, Yah loves Dowd", "well, Dowd was special", and "don't question it". When the hell did we stop questioning things? That is the entire premise that brought us all here in the first place!
This issue, this one right here is where many people are atheist. Because when it comes to real issues of controversy, real issues where something doesn't seem right, fit right, smell right, look right, everyone from Jews, to xthians, to Muslims all turn a blind eye and say "oh well, God says it, I believe it, it is settled". This ain't settled for me. "I" want to know if Yah truly authorizes the rape of women. Tell me, when did you ever see Yah enacting a slow death on someone? Even when He authorized a killing it was quick and humane. Even the son of Pharaoh was killed in one night - why would Yah make a child of His own suffer for seven days? It doesn't sit right, it doesn't read right, it doesn't taste right.

For instance, read 2 Samuel 24:1 - tell me what your book says. Who does it say caused Dowd to number the people? Does that taste right to you? Does that smell right to you? Does that look right to you? Does that taste right to you?
Offline cgb2  
#64 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:09:58 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Torah:
• Genesis
• Exodus
• Leviticus
• Numbers
• Deuteronomy

Historical books:
• Joshua
• Judges
• Ruth
• 1 Samuel
• 2 Samuel
• 1 Kings
• 2 Kings
• 1 Chronicles
• 2 Chronicles
• Ezra
• Nehemiah
• Esther

Wisdom and Poetry
• Job
• Psalms
• Proverbs
• Ecclesiastes
• Song of Songs

Prophetic books:
Major prophets-
• Isaiah
• Jeremiah
• Lamentations
• Ezekiel
• Daniel
Minor prophets-
• Hosea
• Joel
• Amos
• Obadiah
• Jonah
• Micah
• Nahum
• Habakkuk
• Zephaniah
• Haggai
• Zechariah
• Malachi

Deuterocanon:
• Tobit
• Judith
• Additions to Esther
• 1 Maccabees
• 2 Maccabees
• Wisdom of Solomon
• Wisdom of Sirach
• Baruch
• Letter of Jeremiah
• Additions to Daniel
• 1/3 Esdras (in appendix)
• 2/4 Esdras (in appendix)
Anagignoskomena (LXX OT)

• 3 Maccabees
• Psalm 151
• Prayer of Manasseh
• 4 Maccabees (in appendix)

https://en.wikipedia.org..._referenced_in_the_Bible
Offline needhelp  
#65 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:56:43 AM(UTC)
needhelp

1and2 Samuel are considered 1and2 Kings is some bibles.
1and2 Kings = 3and4 Kings.

1and2 Samuel doesn't read like the prophets. Yahowah
doesn't speak 1st person. It is more like paul's letters.
Someone saying Yahowah said. History would be a good
explanation.

1 Sam 1:30 - sick H2470

BDB Thayer Strong KJC
Original: ???
- Transliteration: Chalah
- Phonetic: khaw-law'
- Definition:
1. to be or become weak, be or become sick, be or become diseased, be or become grieved, be or become sorry
a. (Qal) to be weak, be sick
b. (Piel)
1. to be or become weak, feel weak
2. to become sick, become ill
3. (CLBL) to entreat, pray, beg
c. (Niphal)
1. to make oneself sick
2. to be made sick
3. to be tired
d. (Pual) to be made weak, become weak
e. (Hithpael) to make oneself sick
f. (Hiphil)
1. to make sore
2. to make sick
3. to show signs of sickness, become sick
4. to grieve
g. (Hophal)
1. to be made sick
2. to be wounded
- Origin: a primitive root [compare H2342, H2470, H2490]
- TWOT entry: 655
- Part(s) of speech: Verb

- Strong's: A primitive root (compare H2342 H2490); properly to be rubbed or worn; hence (figuratively) to be weak sick afflicted; or (causatively) to grieve make sick; also to stroke (in flattering) entreat: - beseech (be) diseased (put to) grief be grieved (be) grievous infirmity intreat lay to put to pain X pray make prayer be (fall make) sick sore be sorry make suit (X supplication) woman in travail be (become) weak be wounded.
Total KJV Occurrences: 76
• beseech, 1
Mal 1:9

• besought, 5
Exod 32:11; 1Kgs 13:6; 2Kgs 13:4; 2Chr 33:12; Jer 26:19

• carefully, 1
Mic 1:12

• diseased, 3
1Kgs 15:23; Ezek 34:4; Ezek 34:21

• entreat, 3
1Kgs 13:6; Ps 45:12; Prov 19:6

• entreated, 1
Ps 119:58

• grief, 2
Isa 17:11; Isa 53:10

• grieved, 2
Isa 57:10; Amos 6:6

• grievous, 4
Jer 10:19; Jer 14:17; Jer 30:12; Nah 3:19

• infirmity, 1
Ps 77:10

• laid, 1
Deut 29:22

• pain, 1
Jer 12:13

• pray, 3
Zech 7:2; Zech 8:21; Zech 8:22

• prayer, 1
Dan 9:13

• sick, 34
Gen 48:1; 1Sam 19:14; 1Sam 30:13; 2Sam 13:2; 2Sam 13:5; 2Sam 13:6; 1Kgs 14:1; 1Kgs 14:5; 1Kgs 17:17; 2Kgs 1:2; 2Kgs 8:7; 2Kgs 8:29; 2Kgs 13:14; 2Kgs 20:1; 2Kgs 20:12; 2Chr 22:6; 2Chr 32:24; Neh 2:2; Ps 35:13; Prov 13:12; Prov 23:35; Song 2:5; Song 5:8; Isa 33:24; Isa 38:1; Isa 38:9; Isa 39:1; Ezek 34:4; Ezek 34:16; Dan 8:27; Hos 7:5; Mic 6:13; Mal 1:8; Mal 1:13

• sore, 2
Eccl 5:13; Eccl 5:16

• sorry, 1
1Sam 22:8

• suit, 1
Job 11:19

• supplication, 1
1Sam 13:12

• travail, 1
Jer 4:31

• weak, 4
Judg 16:7; Judg 16:11; Judg 16:17; Isa 14:10

• wounded, 3
1Kgs 22:34; 2Chr 18:33; 2Chr 35:23

Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries
H2470 ????? chalah (khaw-law') v.
1. (properly) to be rubbed or worn
2. hence (figuratively) to be weak, sick, afflicted
3. or (causatively) to grieve, make sick
4. also to stroke (in flattering), entreat
[a primitive root]
KJV: beseech, (be) diseased, (put to) grief, be grieved, (be) grievous, infirmity, intreat, lay to, put to pain, X pray, make prayer, be (fall, make) sick, sore, be sorry, make suit (X supplication), woman in travail, be (become) weak, be wounded.
Compare: H2342, H2470, H2490

2 Sam 12:15 sick

Original: ????
- Transliteration: 'anash
- Phonetic: aw-nash'
- Definition:
1. to be weak, sick, frail
a. (Qal)
1. to be incurable
2. to be sick
3. desperate, incurable, desperately wicked, woeful, very sick (pass participle) (metaph.)
b. (Niphal) to be sick
- Origin: a primitive root
- TWOT entry: 135
- Part(s) of speech: Verb

- Strong's: A primitive root; to be frail feeble or (figuratively) melancholy: - desperate (-ly wicked) incurable sick woeful.
Total KJV Occurrences: 9

BDB Thayer Strong KJC
• desperate, 1
Isa 17:11

• incurable, 5
Job 34:6; Jer 15:18; Jer 30:12; Jer 30:15; Mic 1:9

• sick, 1
2Sam 12:15

• wicked, 1
Jer 17:9

• woeful, 1
Jer 17:16

Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries
H605 ?????? 'anash (aw-nash') v.
1. to be frail, feeble, or (figuratively) melancholy
[a primitive root]
KJV: desperate(-ly wicked), incurable, sick, woeful.

Septuagint
14 Only because thou hast given great occasion of provocation to the enemies of the Lord by this thing, thy son also that is born to thee shall surely die.

KJV
14 Howbeit H657, because by this deed H1697 thou hast given H5006 great occasion H5006[ H8763] to the enemies H341[ H8802] of the LORD H3068 to blaspheme H5006[ H8765], the child H1121 also that is born H3209 unto thee shall surely H4191[ H8800] die H4191[ H8799].

Israeli Authorized Version
14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of YY to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

weak, frail doesn't necessarily mean torment

children are protected by their parent's relationship with Yahowah.
Yahowah loved David dearly, he was already forgiven.2Sam 12:13

maybe the child would have been another Ishmael.(Just what we
need,Islam reinforced.) Allah is satan, there is only one
David knew what he was doing just like Abraham. He didn't fall down and his... well we know the rest.

There are a lot of maybes. No one knows Yahowah's mind.Isa 55:8

some ramblings from the old

Offline James  
#66 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:04:50 AM(UTC)
James
Man

James wrote:

2 Sam 7 contains a profound prophecy, linking Dowd to the Ma'aseyah. So, I don't think that it can be discounted. Also, Yahowah met directly with Shamow'el, in person, so he was a prophet.

So there goes that line of thinking.

I'm going to look into verse 11, perhaps there is a translation error. This to me seems more troubling than the child being killed. That I can somewhat understand, but having his wives raped I am struggling with.

Offline James  
#67 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:23:11 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Okay, so I just started looking at verse 11, and I have noticed one very interesting thing.

'issah the word for woman or wife is not present in the verse at all. The word used is nashey, which as near as I can tell means a debt. I'm having a bit of trouble because Logos exigentical guide has it linked to 'issah when I try to look it up, but 'issah is Alef Shem Hay, and nashey is Nun Shin Yod. Nashey is only used in one other place that I can find and it means debt there. Debt doesn't really makes sense in the context. I am going to delve more into this and will post again later.

Offline needhelp  
#68 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:34:40 AM(UTC)
needhelp

KJV
2Sam 24:1-3
1 And again H3254[ H8686] the anger H639 of the LORD H3068 was kindled H2734[ H8800] against Israel H3478, and he moved H5496[ H8686] David H1732 against them to say H559[ H8800], Go H3212[ H8798], number H4487[ H8798] Israel H3478 and Juda H3063.
2 For the kin H4428 said H559[ H8799] to Joab H3097 the captain H8269 of the host H2428, which was with him, Go now throug H7751[ H8798] all the tribes H7626 of Israel H3478, from Dan H1835 even to Beersheba H884, and number H6485[ H8798] ye the people H5971, that I may know H3045[ H8804] the number H4557 of the people H5971.
3 And Joab H3097 said H559[ H8799] unto the kin H4428, Now the LORD H3068 thy God H430 add H3254[ H8686] unto the people H5971, how many soever H1992 they be, an hundredfold H3967 H6471, and that the eyes H5869 of my lord H113 the kin H4428 may see H7200[ H8802] it : but why doth my lord H113 the kin H4428 delight H2654[ H8804] in this thin H1697?

IAV
2Sam 24:1-3
1 And again the anger of YY was kindled against Yisrael, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Yisrael and Yhudah.
2 For the king said to Yoav the captain of the host, which was with him, Go now through all the tribes of Yisrael, from Dan even to Beer-Sheva, and number ye the people, that I may know the number of the people.
3 And Yoav said unto the king, Now YY thy Elohim add unto the people, how many soever they be, an hundredfold, and that the eyes of my YY the king may see it: but why doth my YY the king delight in this thing?

KJV
1Chronicles 21:1-3
1 And Satan H7854 stood up H5975[ H8799] against Israel H3478, and provoked H5496[ H8686] David H1732 to number H4487[ H8800] Israel H3478.
2 And David H1732 said H559[ H8799] to Joab H3097 and to the rulers H8269 of the people H5971, Go H3212[ H8798], number H5608[ H8798] Israel H3478 from Beersheba H884 even to Dan H1835; and brin H935[ H8685] the number H4557 of them to me, that I may know H3045[ H8799] it .
3 And Joab H3097 answered H559[ H8799], The LORD H3068 make his people H5971 an hundred H3967 times H6471 so many more H3254[ H8686] as they H1992 be : but, my lord H113 the kin H4428, are they not all my lord's H113 servants H5650? why then doth my lord H113 require H1245[ H8762] this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass H819 to Israel

IAV
1Chronicles 21:1-3
1 And Satan stood up against Yisrael, and provoked David to number Yisrael.
2 And David said to Yoav and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Yisrael from Beer-Sheva even to Dan; and bring the number of them to me, that I may know it.
3 And Yoav answered, YY make his people an hundred times so many more as they be: but, my YY the king, are they not all my YY 's servants? why then doth my YY require this thing? why will he be a cause of trespass to Yisrael?

Offline needhelp  
#69 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:37:21 AM(UTC)
needhelp

It doesn't say rape. It says the sword will never leave his house.
He will give his wives to his neighbors.
Maybe this is symbolism like most of the Torah.
This was not the first of his children (sons) to die.

Maybe his wives would be unfaithful to him as he was to them
with his neighbors in front of all Israel.( if you can call multiple
wives faithful). All of them playing around in front of all Israel
with his friends and neighbors would be humilitating, shaming.
Rightful punishment.
Offline dajstill  
#70 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:46:27 AM(UTC)
dajstill

needhelp wrote:
It doesn't say rape. It says the sword will never leave his house.
He will give his wives to his neighbors.
Maybe this is symbolism like most of the Torah.
This was not the first of his children (sons) to die.

Maybe his wives would be unfaithful to him as he was to them
with his neighbors in front of all Israel.( if you can call multiple
wives faithful). All of them playing around in front of all Israel
with his friends and neighbors would be humilitating, shaming.
Rightful punishment.

So Yah will make his wives whores? Yes, that is much, much better (sarcasm). It say's they shall "lie with your wives". Is this the same "lay with" that Amnon did with Tamar. Guess what? That wasn't Tamar being a whore, that was Tamar being raped by her brother. Show me these are two different things and I will agree that maybe it isn't raped. But, Yahowah making a woman a whore isn't much better in my eyes.
Offline needhelp  
#71 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:37:37 AM(UTC)
needhelp

Tamar was forced 2Sam 13:11-12
2 sam 12:11 give

It is quite possible that these are histories written by men, not voiced by Yahowah. Bad choice of words, bad interpretation,
satan meddling. Like 2Sam 24:1-3 and 1Chron 21:1-3
Who knows? All one can do is try to be rational.
Offline dajstill  
#72 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:46:07 AM(UTC)
dajstill

needhelp wrote:
Tamar was forced 2Sam 13:11-12
2 sam 12:11 give

It is quite possible that these are histories written by men, not voiced by Yahowah. Bad choice of words, bad interpretation,
satan meddling. Like 2Sam 24:1-3 and 1Chron 21:1-3
Who knows? All one can do is try to be rational.

Yahowah says "He" is raising up evil against David and will "take" the wives and "give" them to the neighbor. The women are given no choice. It never indicates the women want to go. I can not interpret that any other way but rape. It doesn't say the women will long for the neighbor, lust after the neighbor, or turn their hearts toward the neighbor - it says the will be "taken" in front of Dowd's eyes then "given" to the neighbor so the neighbor can lay with them.

And, the point of 2 Samuel versus 1 Chronicles is a HUGE one. One is them is utterly wrong, I think we should find out which one it is. However, both of them indicate Dowd didn't have free will. This doesn't make me comfortable at all.
Offline dajstill  
#73 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:48:55 AM(UTC)
dajstill

I am still waiting on a little help with these verses. Can someone please let me know if the word same word for "lay with" and "lie with" were the same Hebrew word or different words used in the following verses:

2 Samuel 11:4
2 Samuel 12:11
2 Samuel 13:14

If they are the same word, is there a Hebrew word for "rape" or is there only one word for both of those acts? That opens up a whole new can of worms, but at least we can start there.

Also, there is another dependency between 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles. In the punishment choices give to Dowd - 2 Samuel indicates 7 years of famine while 1 Chronicles says 3.

Finally, both renditions indicate Dowd NEVER made a choice! He was given 3 choices: famine, defeat, and plague. Add Dowd said was "don't let me fall into the hands of my enemy", then plague started. Also, this is again Dowd asking for the punishment for "his" sin to go on to "him" and YHWH deciding to punish the people instead. But, something doesn't sound right in this either. Both stories indicate that Yahowah "relented" and asked the "evil" and asked the destroyer to stop. The English word relent means to become compassionate or forgiving and even to change one's mind. It almost reads as if Yahowah didn't realize quite what He was doing and when He realized the "evil" (it says after He saw the evil) only then did He decide the punishment was too much.

This, again, doesn't sound like Yahowah. It reads as if Yahowah went into a temper tantrum and started killing people, then snapped out of it only after 70,000 people had been killed. It sounds more like the Hulk than Yahowah. Is this English translation of those events correct?
Offline James  
#74 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:16:15 AM(UTC)
James
Man

In all three verses the word for lay is shakab. Shakab’s meaning varies from lie down to rest, to sleep or to have intercourse. 2 Sam 13:14 includes also the word ‘anah, which means afflicted, violated, humbled, silences and/or raped.

There are two Hebrew words that can mean rape. ‘Anah, and Shagel. The only difference between the two seems to be that ‘anah’s focus is on the violating and humbling aspects and shagel is focused on the violent aspects.

Also with regard to my earlier post about 2 Sam 12:11 not containing ‘issah, but rather nashey. I have done a little more research into and what I have found is that nashey is a form of the word nash, which is used somewhat frequently, but because Logos links it with ‘issah I have never noticed it before. The same is true with ‘enosh and ‘yish, I had to do some major revisions in my translation when I learned that and will have to do so now.

The difference between nah and ‘issah appears to be the same as the difference between ‘enosh and ‘yish. ‘Enosh is a Hebrew word for man that focuses on the mortal and human nature, and is most often used of men that do not know Yah whereas the Hebrew words ‘adam and ‘yish focus on man and their ability to know Yah and those in relation to Yah. One could argue that in many cases ‘enosh represents men whose neshamah is not functioning, nonexistent or at the very least not being used properly. From what I can gather, and keep in mind I am no expert, nash seems to be the feminine form of ‘enosh. If my understanding is correct then, these women of Dowd’s were separated from Yah and therefore from His perspective as irrelevant as an animal.

Again I am no expert, and I have not invested a tremendous amount of time on this. There are a few areas in Scripture where Yah's testimony appears harsh and even a bit out of character, but it is really just a side of Yah we don’t know very much about because we see it so infrequently.

Offline Mike  
#75 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:24:37 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Here are the word definitians that James talked about except I couldn't find Nash.

H7901
שׁכב
shâkab
BDB Definition:
1) to lie down
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to lie, lie down, lie on
1a2) to lodge
1a3) to lie (of sexual relations)
1a4) to lie down (in death)
1a5) to rest, relax (figuratively)
1b) (Niphal) to be lain with (sexually)
1c) (Pual) to be lain with (sexually)
1d) (Hiphil) to make to lie down
1e) (Hophal) to be laid
Part of Speech: verb

H6031
ענה
‛ânâh
BDB Definition:
1) (Qal) to be occupied, be busied with
2) to afflict, oppress, humble, be afflicted, be bowed down
2a) (Qal)
2a1) to be put down, become low
2a2) to be depressed, be downcast
2a3) to be afflicted
2a4) to stoop
2b) (Niphal)
2b1) to humble oneself, bow down
2b2) to be afflicted, be humbled
2c) (Piel)
2c1) to humble, mishandle, afflict
2c2) to humble, be humiliated
2c3) to afflict
2d4) to humble, weaken oneself
2d) (Pual)
2d1) to be afflicted
2d2) to be humbled
2e) (Hiphil) to afflict
2f) (Hithpael)
2f1) to humble oneself
2f2) to be afflicted
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root [possibly rather identical with H6030 through the idea of looking down or browbeating]

H7693
שׁגל
shâgal
BDB Definition:
1) to violate, ravish
1a) (Qal) to violate, ravish
1b) (Niphal) to be ravished
1c) (Pual) to be ravished

H802
נשׁים / אשּׁה
'ishshâh / nâshı̂ym
BDB Definition:
1) woman, wife, female
1a) woman (opposite of man)
1b) wife (woman married to a man)
1c) female (of animals)
1d) each, every (pronoun)
Part of Speech: noun feminine

H582
אנושׁ
'ĕnôsh
BDB Definition:
1) man, mortal man, person, mankind
1a) of an individual
1b) men (collective)
1c) man, mankind
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H605

H605
אנשׁ
'ânash
BDB Definition:
1) to be weak, sick, frail
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to be incurable
1a2) to be sick
1a3) desperate, incurable, desperately wicked, woeful, very sick (passive participle) (metaphorically)
1b) (Niphal) to be sick

Offline dajstill  
#76 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 1:55:00 AM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:
In all three verses the word for lay is shakab. Shakab’s meaning varies from lie down to rest, to sleep or to have intercourse. 2 Sam 13:14 includes also the word ‘anah, which means afflicted, violated, humbled, silences and/or raped.

There are two Hebrew words that can mean rape. ‘Anah, and Shagel. The only difference between the two seems to be that ‘anah’s focus is on the violating and humbling aspects and shagel is focused on the violent aspects.

Also with regard to my earlier post about 2 Sam 12:11 not containing ‘issah, but rather nashey. I have done a little more research into and what I have found is that nashey is a form of the word nash, which is used somewhat frequently, but because Logos links it with ‘issah I have never noticed it before. The same is true with ‘enosh and ‘yish, I had to do some major revisions in my translation when I learned that and will have to do so now.

The difference between nah and ‘issah appears to be the same as the difference between ‘enosh and ‘yish. ‘Enosh is a Hebrew word for man that focuses on the mortal and human nature, and is most often used of men that do not know Yah whereas the Hebrew words ‘adam and ‘yish focus on man and their ability to know Yah and those in relation to Yah. One could argue that in many cases ‘enosh represents men whose neshamah is not functioning, nonexistent or at the very least not being used properly. From what I can gather, and keep in mind I am no expert, nash seems to be the feminine form of ‘enosh. If my understanding is correct then, these women of Dowd’s were separated from Yah and therefore from His perspective as irrelevant as an animal.

Again I am no expert, and I have not invested a tremendous amount of time on this. There are a few areas in Scripture where Yah's testimony appears harsh and even a bit out of character, but it is really just a side of Yah we don’t know very much about because we see it so infrequently.

So, my question becomes did Yahowah see these women as mere animals, or did the men writing the text see them that way? If they were mere animals without the ability to know Yahowah - what was Dowd doing with them? Wasn't there the concept of household salvation? Can a man marry a animal woman and have household salvation? What about Bathsheba? Was she an animal woman? Her husband seems to have been a righteous man and she mourned and wept for him. She became one of Dowd's wives and would therefore also fall under the category of being given away to a neighbor for him to sleep with her. What about Abigail? Dowd married her over in 1 Samuel and she is presented as having known Yahowah. Did she become an animal woman after marrying Dowd? What did Abigail do to be turned over to the neighbors for sex? In going through Dowd's wives I found 8 including Bathsheba. None of them seemed to be over disconnected. While they weren't perfect, they aren't presented as being without the ability to choose Yahowah, especially Abigail.

The second issue is with free will. These punishments seem to completely fly in the face of free will, or does one only have free will after they have a relationship with Yahowah? I understand that Yahowah may not be concerned with people He doesn't know, but does He really just have them handed over for sex? Why would women be given over for sex for Dowd's sin? That is what I don't understand, it doesn't make sense. When has Yahowah ever used sex (whether making a woman a whore or having a woman raped) as punishment? On Friday night Yada mentioned that Yahowah is the ultimate respecter of free will, there is not greater violation of free will than to control whom a person has sex with (I understand the exception being if a widow doesn't have children, her widows brother is supposed to provide an heir for the brother). There is a difference between Yahowah not knowing you, thus ignoring you and Yahowah not knowing you, therefore killing and having women raped, molested, or otherwise violated at will. Does that make sense?

This actually feeds into the Christian notion that you either love God or get punished by Him. That isn't free will. This gives people two choices with one being the most vile - become a member of Yahowah's family or be subject to random violence as punishment for the sins of His beloved. That leads us to 2 Samuel 24:1 - 3 where even Dowd's free will was supposedly taken away by Yahowah. It clearly indicates that Yahowah was looking for a way to punish Israel, so He tricked Dowd in order to kill people. That still doesn't taste right in my mouth.
Offline needhelp  
#77 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07:11 AM(UTC)
needhelp

This is the only "nash" I could find, except gnash. Mike has the BDB definitions.
Here are the Mickelson defs,, a little different ' not much. They do confirm James' Idea about enosh and adam.

James, yours and your wife's idea of the baby being weak and
being blamed on Yahowah because of the times is very good.
I hadn't thought of it. That still happens today. Good deduction.

H802 ??????? ??????? 'ishshah (ish-shaw') n-f.
1. irregular plural, nashiym {naw-sheem'}
2. a woman (used in the same wide sense as H0582)
[feminine of H376 or H582]
KJV: (adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman. Often unexpressed in English.
Root(s): H376, H582, H582
[?]

H582 ??????? 'enowsh (en-oshe') n-m.
1. (properly) a mortal (and thus differing from the more dignified H0120)
2. (hence) a man in general (singly or collectively)
[from H605]
KJV: another, X (blood-)thirsty, certain, chap(-man); divers, fellow, X in the flower of their age, husband, (certain, mortal) man, people, person, servant, some ( X of them), + stranger, those, + their trade. It is often unexpressed in the English versions, especially when used in apposition with another word .
Root(s): H605
Compare: H376
See also: H120
[?]

H120 ????? 'adam (aw-dawm') n-m.
1. ruddy i.e. a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.)
[from H119]
KJV: X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.
Root(s): H119
[?]

H376 ????? 'iysh (eesh) n-m.
1. a man as an individual or a male person
2. often used as an adjunct to a more definite term (and in such cases frequently not expressed in translation)
[contracted for H582 (or perhaps rather from an unused root meaning to be extant)]
KJV: also, another, any (man), a certain, + champion, consent, each, every (one), fellow, (foot-, husband-)man, (good-, great, mighty) man, he, high (degree), him (that is), husband, man(-kind), + none, one, people, person, + steward, what (man) soever, whoso(-ever), worthy.
Root(s): H582
Compare: H802
[?]
Offline needhelp  
#78 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 3:17:48 AM(UTC)
needhelp

https://publiushuldah.wo...com/category/isaiah-312/

Now let us consider Strong’s tender of the Hebrew word, nashiym. The Old Testament was written in ancient Hebrew, a language which omitted vowels in writings. Thus, in translating words in ancient Hebrew, the question is always, “What vowel goes here?” To illustrate, look at the English word “p_t”. What vowel goes in the middle: a, e, i, o, or u? Do you see?

So! Look now at nashiym: Adam Clarke’s Commentary points out that only a vowel distinguishes “noshim” (usurers) from “nashim” (women), and thus Isaiah 3:12 might be rendered:

The collectors of grapes shall be their oppressors; and usurers (noshim, instead of nashim, women) shall rule over them….

So! What’s the correct vowel? “a”? Or is it “o”?
Offline James  
#79 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 3:34:56 AM(UTC)
James
Man

For whatever reason you cannot find nash in most, if any, dictionaries or lexicons, but it is used 212 times in the Hebrew text. Because of this we are left to determine the distinction between nash and ‘issah based solely on the context in which it is used. What I wrote earlier is my best attempt to do this, and while it fits most of the places where nash is used there are a few that I am not comfortable saying that that is what was intended.

There are areas where that understanding completely fits, areas where it may or may not fit and areas where it is a bit troublesome for it to fit. When speaking of the sons of God taking the daughters of man for their wives nash is used. If like me you believe this to be refereeing to the descendants of Adam, those with a neshamah, marrying the daughters of men without a neshamah, it fits perfectly. In Genesis Noah is told to take with him his ‘issah, his son’s and his sons nash. Here there must be a distinction, why else would two different words be used, but it is not clear since little is known of Noah’s son’s wives. Later however Rachael and Leah are referred to as Ya’aqob’s nash, so it certainly doesn’t seem to fit there.

So again this understanding may be flawed.

dastill wrote:
So, my question becomes did Yahowah see these women as mere animals, or did the men writing the text see them that way?

If we are to view Samuel as Scripture and thus the inspired word of God then we would have to say yes. IF we do not view it as Scripture, but the writing of men then the question becomes did Yah do these things, or did they happen and were then attributed to Yah? Based on my limited study Samuel appears to be Scripture.

dajstill wrote:
Wasn't there the concept of household salvation?

I don’t believe there is a concept of household salvation in Scripture, at least not that I am aware of. Children seem to be under the veil of their parents, but spouses are each free to make their own choice. If you spouses choose not to form a relationship with Yah, why would Yah want them to be with Him?

I didn’t mean to say that these were neshamahless women, but that Yah views them the same as he views animals since they do not have a relationship with Him. Yah does not know or care about those who do not have a relationship with Him. Of more accurately since Yah exists outside of time and past, present and future are all one to Him, Yah does not know or care about those that will never come to know Him.

dajstill wrote:
The second issue is with free will. These punishments seem to completely fly in the face of free will, or does one only have free will after they have a relationship with Yahowah?

Free Will exists to the point where we can choose Yah or not. If we choose to become His child then punishing us to teach us a lesson is not a violation of free will.

A somewhat crude analogy would be that to punish me for something horrible that I did, my father takes my dog which I love and care about, and gives it to a neighbor he knows will take care of it.

Again I am not stating this as fact, just attempting to understand it based on observation. Like I said there are aspects of God we don’t see often and thus know little about.

Offline dajstill  
#80 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 4:23:13 AM(UTC)
dajstill

For some reason I thought there was a section in ITG that mentioned it, but couldn't find it. So maybe "household" refers only to the child. But, why would Yahowah want a relationship with a child that doesn't know Him? Was the child that Yahowah killed under Dowd or under Bathsheba since she is considered to be without knowing Yahowah? For instance, if a woman has a relationship with Yahowah, but her husband does not - are her children considered in a relationship?

Secondly, are we given any indication that Dowd's wives were given to a neighbor? If not, don't we have a problem there? The only time I see Dowd's wives taken was in 1 Samuel 30 - and Abigail was one of them. It doesn't say if she was raped or not, only that his two wives were taken, but he recovered them.

I still don't understand Yahowah giving away women for sexual favors, even if He doesn't know them. I am just not understanding that. Had this not be a sexual exchange it would be different for me. It specifically indicates Dowd's wives will be given over for sex. Even if Yahowah doesn't know a woman, why this? He never gave a man away for sex, why a woman? That just doesn't sound right. The only way it makes sense is if the religious men of old have been correct all along - that Yahowah doesn't have a relationship with women. This would be the only reason that they would be referred to as not having a relationship, even though we have Abigail who clearly did.

Also, the next thing we see following this decree is not his wives being punished, but his daughter Tamar. I am still perplexed as to why it wasn't Dowd who stood up for Tamar. Why couldn't Dowd see that Tamar was being set up for rape. When you really examine the events, it was Dowd who sent Tamar there in the first place. Dowd was informed at what Amnon had done, but took no action (2 Samuel 13:21). Was that because she was merely an animal and not really important to Dowd or Yahowah? The torah was clear what the punishment for rape was to be, why was Amnon not punished?

Finally, does anyone have any more insight into Yahowah first telling Dowd to number then people, then punishing Dowd for numbering the people? Also, Dowd calls the people being killed "sheep", doesn't that indicate they are a part of Yahowah's family?

I am just intrigued with this concept of "in the family" versus "out of the family". I had originally thought Yahowah simply ignored those people He didn't know. It is bending my understanding a bit to think of Him actively pursuing them to punish them for being outside the family or using them as the equivalent of animals. For instance, it is usually some sort of animal that has to die because of the sins of Yah's people. It is bending my understanding to extend the concept of animal to include people that don't know Yahowah. That one is a bit hard for me.
Offline James  
#81 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 5:33:17 AM(UTC)
James
Man

dajstill wrote:
For some reason I thought there was a section in ITG that mentioned it, but couldn't find it. So maybe "household" refers only to the child. But, why would Yahowah want a relationship with a child that doesn't know Him? Was the child that Yahowah killed under Dowd or under Bathsheba since she is considered to be without knowing Yahowah? For instance, if a woman has a relationship with Yahowah, but her husband does not - are her children considered in a relationship?

This is one thing that is not covered much because it is Yah’s desire that both parents actively engage in raising the child to be a part of His family. And I don’t think Yah tells us much because He doesn’t want us banking on our children being saved because of us, as always salvation should not be the focus. Yah wants us to raise our children to know Him. If the parents know Him then it is more likely that the child will grow to know Him, if one parent knows Him and one doesn’t then it depends on who has the biggest influence of the child. And again Yah outside of time knows what choice the child will make. There is no direct statement as to how Yah will judge rather or not a child has a relationship with Him that I know of.

dajstill wrote:
Secondly, are we given any indication that Dowd's wives were given to a neighbor? If not, don't we have a problem there? The only time I see Dowd's wives taken was in 1 Samuel 30 - and Abigail was one of them. It doesn't say if she was raped or not, only that his two wives were taken, but he recovered them.

I have not studied much of the book of Samuel so I cannot say.

dajstill wrote:
I still don't understand Yahowah giving away women for sexual favors, even if He doesn't know them. I am just not understanding that. Had this not be a sexual exchange it would be different for me. It specifically indicates Dowd's wives will be given over for sex. Even if Yahowah doesn't know a woman, why this? He never gave a man away for sex, why a woman? That just doesn't sound right. The only way it makes sense is if the religious men of old have been correct all along - that Yahowah doesn't have a relationship with women. This would be the only reason that they would be referred to as not having a relationship, even though we have Abigail who clearly did.

Because sex in Scripture is so related to marriage that I don’t see this so much as Yah giving them for sexual favors, but just a way of saying that I will take your wives and give them to your neighbor this very night. In Scripture there was no marriage ceremony, marriage was sex, and so your neighbor will lay with them this day is saying your neighbor will be married to them this day.

While it isn't the exact same thing Yah did have Hosea marry and have children to a prostitute.

Also it may not explicitly state consent of the wives, it never says they didn’t consent either. So we do not know the full facts.

dajstill wrote:
I am just intrigued with this concept of "in the family" versus "out of the family". I had originally thought Yahowah simply ignored those people He didn't know. It is bending my understanding a bit to think of Him actively pursuing them to punish them for being outside the family or using them as the equivalent of animals. For instance, it is usually some sort of animal that has to die because of the sins of Yah's people. It is bending my understanding to extend the concept of animal to include people that don't know Yahowah. That one is a bit hard for me.

I’m not very comfortable with idea of God actively punishing people. In the ones I have seen here God is not punishing those that don’t know Him, but rather using them to punish Dowd who does know Him. And I don’t think that Yah does it frequently, by in large I think He lets us suffer the consequence of our actions, but doesn’t actively punish us. These examples of Him punish Dowd seem to be the exception, and Dowd appears to be a very special circumstance. As Yada has said before Yah plays favorites, and Dowd is one of His favorites. So perhaps Yah was so determined to have a relationship with Dowd that He did actively engage to teach Dowd a lesson to keep him on the path.

I think there is much truth to Yashayahuw 55:8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares יהוה.”

Offline dajstill  
#82 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 6:02:47 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Thanks James, makes sense in a lot of areas.

Any insight into it issue of 2 Samuel 24: 1- 3? I just never saw that before and I always thought it was Dowd who decided on his own to number the people. This creates a dynamic that is just odd to me. Even with Yahowah playing favorites with Dowd, I am not sure what He was trying to teach Dowd here.
Offline James  
#83 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:10:52 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I will have to look into that a bit more dajstill.

First thing I notice is that 2 Sam 24:1-15 are not extant in the DSS. Also in the 4 verse which are extant 16-20, there are 7 deviations between the DSS and MT three of which are statements that were removed from the MT.

This would indicate that this chapter was not particularly well kept. That said it is impossible without having a text as old as the DSS or at least older than the MT to determine what we have that is accurate and what we have that isn't.

I will look into it a little more when I get some time and let you know if I find anything else.

Offline VinceBea (VinceB.)  
#84 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:34:08 AM(UTC)
VinceBea (VinceB.)
Man

I personally don’t see it as all that complicated – heck, all we have to do, relative to Dow’d’s situation with Bathsheba, is look at our own lives as Yah’s children. Today, as it was for Dow’d, as it was with Cain over and against his folks; as it was in the days of Noah in which only 8 souls were in and under Yah’s protective Cover (Mom): 99.999% of people just don’t, and never will, get Yah’s gift/invitation/promise/Towrah (and don’t forget Yah and His Towrah are One in the same – and a god by any other name is no god at all)…even out of bondage in Egypt, most those delivered didn’t get it – so it is with Dow’d, I don’t know any of Dow’d’s wives and children who were in be’ryth with Yah as was Dow’d – and remember being in be’ryth with Yah individually places us under the protective coving provided for by Yah (Mom)? that’s not to say his wives and children weren’t reconciled/restored to Yah via Dow’d’s relationship with Yah (there’s only so much covering being related to Dow’d’s relationship with Dad before his wives and kids would have to go and get covered via the same means Dow’d set as an example (you can drag a horse to water but you can’t make ‘em drink; most my family think I have lost my way and following a cult)…clearly looking at the behavior of his children before his death, and after his death, they weren’t behaving as if they were engaging with Dad in be’ryth all that much at all; rather they seemed engrossed in what it was they could get for themselves (selfish and self-centeredness: you know, the me, myself, and I mentality).

And lets not forget, and as a direct result of his relationship with Dad as one of His sons, that Dow’d didn’t rule over Yis’rael like Saul before him, or starting with Solomon behind him (both ruling more like the tyrants of the gowym than like a shepherd working as a coworker with Dad as a shepherd over the Family.

Does any of this make any sense? I mean, 99.999% of those Dow’d shepherded didn’t get it (and this in and out of his family)…99.999% of the people of Yis’rael during Dow’d’s life wanted a king like the gowym nations surrounding them; so from the perspective of the 99.999% (which our perspective is always going to be wrong especially if is midbar and ‘azab) Dow’d ruled and reigned in keeping with that mindset (and all Dow’d’s wives and children benefited from Yah richly blessing Dow’d who was in be’ryth with Him) – and I don’t recall any of Dow’d’s wives ever leaving him (perhaps Saul’s daughter, who Dow’d still took care of the rest of her life) whereas less than 0.001% saw Dow’d as the gift to Yis’rael that he was, a coworker with Yah to shepherd His people Yis’rael.

Somewhere in here is your answer - there's the whole issue of context and perspective. Yah's rebuilding, restoring, reconciling His Family Yis'rael to Himself (yes, natural born Yahowdym to include adopted Yahowdym).
Offline vic108  
#85 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 11:57:08 PM(UTC)
vic108
Man

Dajstill,

I know nothing about scripture and scripture analysis, but your tenacious search for the truth and what is indeed 'inspired' in these writings is heartfelt.

Exodus 34:6-7

"And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “ The compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

How could our Merciful Father punish innocent little ones? How can God "abounding in love" and "forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin" but "does not leave the guilty unpunished"?

Doesn't "forgiving" imply staying punishment?
and what 'sin' was the child guilty of?

Edited by user Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:31:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"May your wisdom equal your zeal and your courage atone for your ignorance."
Offline James  
#86 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:54:35 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Something I just thought about on the topic of God punishing others for the action of an individual. All women were punished by Yahowah for Chawah's actions.

Offline dajstill  
#87 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:53:29 AM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:
Something I just thought about on the topic of God punishing others for the action of an individual. All women were punished by Yahowah for Chawah's actions.

This is something I have thought about and I am not sure if that is accurate. For instance, many women use pain medication in child bearing (has been used for thousands of years) and not all women have an equal amount of pain. The second issue is that if Chawah's punishment is meted out to all women, I am wrong for being here and even pursuing a relationship with Yahowah. My husband would be a "ruler" over me. So, this means that it would be best for all women to remain single so that they have no "ruler", no "king" except for Yahowah. However, if men are allowed to rule over women, there is no such thing as rape, incest, etc. A man is allowed to do whatever he pleases. Did Yahowsha' speak only to men when He declared there is no one over us except for Yahowah? Would a woman be free of "rule" of her husband after 50 years? Or, is she an indentured servant for all of her life?

That again puts women in the place of cattle, with no ability to know Yahowah for themselves, since they would have a permanent ruler. Women would have been given a slavery position for all of eternity. Is that what we are positing? I have actually seen the "curse of Eve" used for some pretty horrid behavior, including the very real fundamentalist perspective that even the spanking (beating) of women is permitted because the husband is to rule over her.

Also, by this notion all men should be share cropping and working in the field. However, by the time Abram is on the scene, men of Yahowah have slaves and servants working for them. Why would a woman still be cursed and be ruled by man and not Yahowah when men are allowed to use hired (or forced hands) for their tilling of the land?
Offline James  
#88 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:52:35 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Just a couple of thoughts.

My point in bringing up the Ba'reshiyth punishments was to show that even in the earliest portions of Scripture Yah punishes other for the act of individuals. Men and women both suffer from a punishment laid down because of the actions of Adam and Chawah.

The fact that man has used what Yah said to commit atrocities does not mean that was what Yah intended, and does not mean that was what Yah desired. It also doesn't mean we should dismiss it. We should attempt to understand it.

Yah's statement to Chawah does not say that it is His desire for her to be ruled by man, it is simply a statement of fact. And throughout history it has been largely the case that men have ruled over women. So that you know when speaking of increasing the pain of childbirth Yah used the hifil stem meaning He would cause this to happen. When speaking of man ruling women it is scribed in the qal stem, the most basic stem, which does not convey active participation. Which would again suggest that this is just a statement of fact and not a desire or Yah or something that he would cause.

What Yah said to Adam is still true, in meaning. The message was that man would have to work to feed himself, that no longer would the land bring forth food for him. Yes not everyone has to work to eat, but someone had to work for them to eat, they are just taking advantage of that persons labor.

An interesting linguistic fact. Ba'reshiyth 3:16 reads wa hu masal ba akh. Literally and he rule/govern ba you. Over is just one possible rendering of ba, other renderings are in, with, by, because, concerning, and many more. So the choice of over is the choice of the translator.

Offline dajstill  
#89 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:47:46 PM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:

Yah's statement to Chawah does not say that it is His desire for her to be ruled by man, it is simply a statement of fact. And throughout history it has been largely the case that men have ruled over women. So that you know when speaking of increasing the pain of childbirth Yah used the hifil stem meaning He would cause this to happen. When speaking of man ruling women it is scribed in the qal stem, the most basic stem, which does not convey active participation. Which would again suggest that this is just a statement of fact and not a desire or Yah or something that he would cause.

What Yah said to Adam is still true, in meaning. The message was that man would have to work to feed himself, that no longer would the land bring forth food for him. Yes not everyone has to work to eat, but someone had to work for them to eat, they are just taking advantage of that persons labor.

An interesting linguistic fact. Ba'reshiyth 3:16 reads wa hu masal ba akh. Literally and he rule/govern ba you. Over is just one possible rendering of ba, other renderings are in, with, by, because, concerning, and many more. So the choice of over is the choice of the translator.

The statement of fact versus action He caused is interesting. I have to admit, through the use of modern medicine childbirth wasn't painful in the least for me. With my eldest I spent most of the time in the hospital watching football (he was born on a Sunday). Laughter may be a good medicine, but nothing rocks like an epidural! With my twins, I was literally on my blackberry on the operating table until right before surgery (I used to be a slight workaholic, okay a BIG workaholic). So, I guess I should just be grateful to be born at this particular time, because epidurals do rock and that whole "rule over" women thing has gone a bit old fashion.

And fella's here is a little diddy from Sojourner Truth about women - it deals with the whole Chawah situation and I think it's kind of funny!

AIN'T I A WOMAN?

by Sojourner Truth

Delivered 1851 at the Women's Convention in Akron, Ohio

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

And now "ole dajstill" is off to avoid the "presidential" debates once again. Hmmm, what should I watch on Netflix?
Offline cgb2  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:28:38 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I was reading YY this morning and stumbled across the very passage now being discussed in this thread.
Check out Genesis\6 Nasamah (Concience) pg 16 & 17.
http://www.yadayahweh.co...weh_Genesis_Nesamah.YHWH
Offline James  
#91 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:04:16 AM(UTC)
James
Man

dajstill wrote:
The statement of fact versus action He caused is interesting. I have to admit, through the use of modern medicine childbirth wasn't painful in the least for me. With my eldest I spent most of the time in the hospital watching football (he was born on a Sunday). Laughter may be a good medicine, but nothing rocks like an epidural! With my twins, I was literally on my blackberry on the operating table until right before surgery (I used to be a slight workaholic, okay a BIG workaholic). So, I guess I should just be grateful to be born at this particular time, because epidurals do rock and that whole "rule over" women thing has gone a bit old fashion.

It's the same with men. We have created machines that make working the ground simpler and easier. Now a handful of men can work a field that would have taken a hundred men 1,000 years ago. And as you pointed out man learned early on that they could force other men to do the work for them. So we have come up with ways to make the punishment less, but in the natural state it still exists.

I'm glad cgb pointed out the YY review. When I was reexamining the verse yesterday and noticed that the word for dominion or rule was mashal, the same word used for Proverbs or word pictures, I was wondering how it fit in, but, "Adding to the possibilities,mashal, translated as “dominion and rule,” can also mean “to liken one thing to another, making a comparison by way of a parable, proverb, or metaphor.” So here, rather than saying that men will “exercise authority over and control” women, God could be saying that Chawah would now serve as a picture or symbol of something else—of something more important and difficult to understand. The Spirit, perhaps." makes a lot of sense.

Offline dajstill  
#92 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:39:33 AM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:
It's the same with men. We have created machines that make working the ground simpler and easier. Now a handful of men can work a field that would have taken a hundred men 1,000 years ago. And as you pointed out man learned early on that they could force other men to do the work for them. So we have come up with ways to make the punishment less, but in the natural state it still exists.

I'm glad cgb pointed out the YY review. When I was reexamining the verse yesterday and noticed that the word for dominion or rule was mashal, the same word used for Proverbs or word pictures, I was wondering how it fit in, but, "Adding to the possibilities,mashal, translated as “dominion and rule,” can also mean “to liken one thing to another, making a comparison by way of a parable, proverb, or metaphor.” So here, rather than saying that men will “exercise authority over and control” women, God could be saying that Chawah would now serve as a picture or symbol of something else—of something more important and difficult to understand. The Spirit, perhaps." makes a lot of sense.

I really love this digging.

cbg2 has me reading that Yada section as well!

Honestly, I think the thing that has me stuck in Samuel is that the "picture" of Dowd's relationship with Yahowah presented in 1 and 2 Samuel seems so inconsistent with the relationship presented in Psalms. Dowd's relationship with Yahowah seems almost distant, Dowd seems to rarely hear directly here from Yahowah except for going to war. In 1 Samuel we see Dowd having a "household idol" big enough for Mikal to use it as a dummy for Dowd when Sha'ul tried to have him killed once (1 Samuel 19:13). Instead of the loving, yet intense and often times conflicted person we encounter in Psalms - we see almost a blood thirty tyrant in 1 and 2 Samuel. Instead of a trusting relationship with Yahowah we see Dowd scheming, lying, stealing to get what he wants and the promises given him. I know man, all men, are imperfect. But, just as the "NT" gives a caricature of Yahowsha' I get the feeling that 1 and 2 Samuel may be somewhat of a caricature of Dowd (and Yahowah) at times. Like there is truth mixed in with imaginative story telling. I could be wrong, but that is the feeling I keep getting.
Offline James  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:25:16 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I would say they are showing us two sides, or views, of Dowd. Samuel shows us Dowd from the perspective of man, and the Psalms show us Dowd's internal thoughts, struggles and dealings with Yah.