logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:25:08 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Talking with a Deist is almost as bad as talking with a Christian! My head hurts now!

So, here was their argument:

1. Religion is created by man, so therefore flawed
2. Because anything written was written by man, it cannot be trusted because men are flawed
3. You can only be as good as you can be and try to seek God in your heart
4. Many religious principles are good, even if men are bad.

My responses were:
1. Yes, religion is created by man, but one can have relationship
2. What makes the Hebrew Scriptures verifiable is prophesy. We can look at what was prophesied before it happened, and because of where we are in time (2012) we can look at if those predictions were true. If they were accurate, those scriptures can be trusted.
3. You must have a way to measure "good"
4. Religious principles do not have a track record of being "good"

Deist response:
1. You can truly know God on an intellectual level
2. We can't really translate because interpretations change
3. Most everyone agrees murder is bad
4. The religious principles that followed were the bad ones.

My response
1. You had better use your mind or you will get into a lot of trouble. Most of the problems we have is because people don't "think", just "believe", "feel", or "have faith".
2. Translation and interpretation are two different things. We haven't even gotten to "interpretation" of scripture because we don't yet have accurate "translations". The more accurately we translate the less we have to interpret.

It just went downhill from there with him bringing up the Mayans and Incas and they had prophecies that came true as well and there have been zero accurate prophecies that were specific. Again, I asked if he has ever seen an accurate translation of scripture and he went back to not need an accurate translation because everyone just interprets things the way they want to anyway. The circular reasoning literally gave me a headache! He went as far as saying that all religious men were bad, just look at all the people that Moses killed! I was like "what?" He then said "all the women and children "he" killed because they didn't do what he said God told them to do. It tried to explain that it was useless to dialog further because if we have such variant translations, we can't debate how many people "Moses killed".

Then he just kept bringing up the Incas and the Mayans!

Edited by user Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:50:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:33:18 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Talking with any religious person is the same headache, be they, christian, muslim, jewish, hindu, deist, atheist, etc. None of them have any sense of rationality or reasonability. As Dr. House said, "Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people, if they did there would be no religious people."
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline dajstill  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:52:39 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
James wrote:
Talking with any religious person is the same headache, be they, christian, muslim, jewish, hindu, deist, atheist, etc. None of them have any sense of rationality or reasonability. As Dr. House said, "Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people, if they did there would be no religious people."

I am going to have to keep this quote in my head at all times!!!!!

But, my "fishing" expedition did pay off! I got private message from a couple people who had been seeking. They were on the cusp of leaving christianity and didn't know where to turn, where they could find truth. They figured out the lie (like "Jesus" being a made up name). I got to direct them to ITG!

I have a messianic friend who is actually reading Yada Yah now and is openingly pondering the possibility of Paul being a false apostle.

So, I will take a Motrin and get ready for more fishing tomorrow - LOL!
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:56:59 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
One of the reason i love debates in public forums like this and others is because most of the time the person you are debating is never going to come to know Yahowah, but those reading the debate may. It is why I debate as much as and the way I do in the forum. We have to remember that what we say is not for the benefit of the one we are talking with, but for the benefit of other readers. Consequently this is why i hate private debates in real life, unless it is someone I know and care about.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand