logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jessie  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:41:35 AM(UTC)
jessie

My parents are renewing their vows after 50 years of marriage on a Shabbat in August They are having it at a Christian church and a dinner at my brother home. They don't keep the Shabbat and they want my children and I to attend the wedding. I just dont know what to do. My mother is already very upset with me and told me that she will not show me any pictures or talk to me about her wedding since I choose not to come. She hasn't talk to me in days, we usually speak to each everyday. She says it just on day, it doesnt happen everyday. Not sure what to do, any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Offline FredSnell  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:57:55 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
jessie wrote:
My parents are renewing their vows after 50 years of marriage on a Shabbat in August They are having it at a Christian church and a dinner at my brother home. They don't keep the Shabbat and they want my children and I to attend the wedding. I just dont know what to do. My mother is already very upset with me and told me that she will not show me any pictures or talk to me about her wedding since I choose not to come. She hasn't talk to me in days, we usually speak to each everyday. She says it just on day, it doesnt happen everyday. Not sure what to do, any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi!...Jessie, take it and use it for good. A teaching moment for others.

I would suggest before,
John 5: 18 Therefore the jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:00:32 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I've attended a few weddings since I have come to Yah. The hardest part is to bite your tongue and not laugh out loud. I would agree with encounterHim use it for what you can.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline JamesH  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:00:58 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ezekiel Chapter 20
Offline FredSnell  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:21:41 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Does someone still recognize the One Sabbath told from the beginning when their presence is required in another matter? I think so!..
Matthew 12 :12
And since God is the Master of the Shabat.
Offline Molly  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 2:36:16 AM(UTC)
Molly

Hi Jessie-

It appears that you are confronted with a dilemma here. To go or not to go, that is the question. The fact that is is a Sabbath is not especially relevant, as we participate in lots of things on the Sabbath that would in a scriptural world not happen. For instance, I'll bring in the mail that should not have been delivered on the Sabbath. The world goes on without regard to YHWH. We can't do anything about that at present.

So, attending the wedding is really a matter of whether being in the "Christian" church amidst the paganism will cause a big problem. This might depend on how much of the ceremony will be scriptural and what how much paganism is involved. Most of the time the attendees are simply observing the process and have no participation whatsoever. This may vary from denomination to denomination. We are constantly observing pagan customs in society, such as the man in the red suit in the Mall in December, or the trick or treaters that arrive at our door at the end of October. In some cases there is nothing about the marriage ceremony that is offensive, other than the building in which it is held. That all depends on the denomination of their church. In any case, there is a vast difference between observing an activity and participating in it. Only you can decide on where to draw the line in the sand.

The only other thought that I have on this is that there is another commandment that should be fed into the mix: "Honor your father and your mother in order that you days may prove long upon the ground that YHWH your God is giving you." This along with Matthew 12:12, as noted by encounterHim, should make for some soul searching.

Molly
Offline Smoda  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 6:44:15 PM(UTC)
Smoda
Woman

Another dilemma in this same sort of area: My husband is being asked to be "godfather" to a long term friend's child (already went for the other two little ones). I don't have any issue whatsoever with taking care of them if something happens to their parents ('course the kids would be in for a bit of a lifestyle shock!), but going to that hellaciously pagan church and participating in some nasty ritual is creeping me out. My hubby is rather agnostic with xtian roots so it's no real "skin off his nose". He's just being supportive of his friend in his mind. He knows I'm not a xtian anymore and he's happy about that but I haven't broached this subject with him yet tho... not until I'm sure what I'm going to say/do. He will probly get a quite a bit bent that I'm not wanting to go as the momma is a long term friend and will SO NOT understand even tho she's not religious really at all in her daily/monthly/annual life. Mebbe that makes it harder to understand, dunno. Mebbe it doesn't matter if she understands... Mebbe I'm just a big chicken and need to "grow a pair" lol! It's not until November so I have a little time to contemplate. Any thoughts/encouragement from the family?
please be patient with me while I try to figure this out....
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:58:45 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Smoda,

If your husband is not part of Yah's family then it is not an issue at all. That said I was asked about 2 years ago to be the "godfather" to my brother-in-law/best-friend's little girl. He is very aware of my understanding of God, and how I would raise her if something were to happen to him and his wife. There is nothing, at least as far as I know, overtly religious about the position.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline FredSnell  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:09:45 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

^
I feel for your delimma, Smoda. If I might suggest, have your friend read our brother, FlintFace, his home page on his site. It lets a person know where your coming from. That you are sick of being adversarial, which by the way, we all can be, sick of not knowing the "only" Father. He saves, and it's not about that even. It's more about you, you wanting to join in His family. Will our paricipating in others rituals ruin our relationship we have so far bulit. I question that myself, b/c I know He's jealous for our love, so can I forgive my own son when he goes astray, yes. It's why he calls us out on these Set-Apart days, so what we have questioned we can reconcile ourselves until we have His answer to us. I have a wedding myself to attend on the beginning of, Taruw'ah. So, I'm not making excuses for attending b/c my wife wants me to join her, but we two have reasoned and find it to be okay. Now, that all could change here too. If God shows me. My wife agrees says I have the right to blow my shofar b/c my Father asked me to, in His Word. I will use it for good and sit with the sinner and dine with him and her, and have hopes of at least showing one, you to can come to know YHWH.
FF site is .... http://www.blessyahowah.com/