logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:19:49 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shalom,
I was just wondering if people could help me out. As it is, there are more ways to pronounce YHWH than Baskin Robbin's has ice cream flavors. Most I find to be unviable. Especially the YHVH because waw (the Hebrew letter) was mispronounced by the Ashkenazai of Eastern Europe (I believe).
I agree with the pronounciation of YHWH here at YY. Of course that would be Yahuweh- Yah-uw-eh, but for the purposes of disclosure I would like to list some other pronounciations I have heard.
I have heard a pronounciation that sounds like Yah-hway. Which actually is only the addition of a hard h at the end of YAH.

The other viable one that I have heard is Yahuwah or Yahuah. Lew White is a person that uses this pronounciation (just as a point of interest nothing else) The basis for this pronounciation is Yahudah. Basically if you take out the Hebrew letter Dalet you would get YHWH's name, along with it's uh at the end pronounciation.

I am not trying to bring contention or argument. I just was wondering if anybody had a knowledge of Hebrew that could help and expand our minds. At any rate I think it is better to be seeking the truth and trying to proclaim the name of our God than just copping out and using Lord, adonai, hashem, or Jesus Christ.

As an aside could it be that David's name is pronounced Daud (Dah-ood) I mean being that waw makes the oo/uw sound?

Like I said, just trying to learn a little
Thanks in advance
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:51:00 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Though it is quite a bit of reading, this pdf does a good job at explaining why "Yah-uw-eh" is most likely the correct pronunciation.