logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cgb2  
#51 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 7:34:37 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
JamesH wrote:
I was wondering

Is any one here at YY able to live off the grid or considered what it takes to live self sustaining or tried to prepare to live self sustaining? 

This article has got me thinking. Could a monetary collapse happen ?

http://www.reuters.com/a...ro-idUSBRE9170N220130208

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_war

When you look what happens with fiat (faith-based) currency thruout history, it's not a "could" but a certainty.
And confimation of Yah's "dishonest weights and measures are an abomination".
It's just a matter of when.

Central banks are a one-rick pony, with their only trick to "print" more currency - also know as inflation. Right now similar to 2008 meltdown insiders are getting out of stock market, and large bets being placed of meltdown before end of april.

First it was the monetary "stimulus" in the late 90's bubbled high tech stock, then Y2K crash. Then real estate bubble and it's crash....Word is next is bond market with huge bubble.

China is positioning themselves to take us down and and already engaged in a major economic war with us.
Seems US's biggest "enemies" challenge the central bankers, and our troops used as mercenaries, although painted as justifiable causes.

While it's rediculous to think that just in time shipping and such will never fail, one can get carried away thinking you could ever be prepared enough. Besides if SHTF those who did are a big target for desparate people.

Offline dajstill  
#52 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 12:38:07 PM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
JamesH wrote:
I was wondering

Is any one here at YY able to live off the grid or considered what it takes to live self sustaining or tried to prepare to live self sustaining? 

This article has got me thinking. Could a monetary collapse happen ?

http://www.reuters.com/a...ro-idUSBRE9170N220130208

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_war

I consider myself a low level preper. Not prepping for the end of the world, but want to be able to go 4 weeks without needing a grocery store. The big thing is that there is no such thing as "off grid" and pretty close to impossible to be self sustaining here in the US.

If shtf your best bet is to dig a hole and wait - honestly. There are close to 400 million people in this country and hungry people are completely irrational.

I actually think we are going to way of Rome, it will continue to be a slow and steady descent with some large bumps along the way. There were people who thought they were still living in the "Roman Empire" long after it collapsed. The US has been a bully of the world for a long time and plunged many nations into poverty - those chickens are going to come home to roost. An example of plunging nations into poverty. We stopped growing sugar cane here, but the Caribbean nations continued to produce it. To protect US farmers and the infiltration of high fructose corn syrup, we put a HUGE import tax on sugar. Sugar became too expensive for US companies to use in their products, so they replaced sugar with HFCS which is basically a slow killing poison. Guess what, some of those nations have burned their sugar can plantations to the ground in the last 10 years! What was sustaining those small countries is now gone as we bullied other countries into accepting HFCS so we could dump it into the European market (the US government subsidies the corn, making it cheap to produce). Not to mention what currency manipulation has done to the rest of the world. We aren't headed for a collapse, we are in one. We are simply frogs in a pot that is starting to boil slowly. I am not sure what drastic measures the US will take to save itself, but it won't be pretty I am sure.
Offline Mike  
#53 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 3:30:09 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
A monetary collapse will happen for sure. The only question is how soon.

We grow some of our own food but we don’t grow enough to be self sufficient. I grow vegetables and have a variety of fruit and nut trees. So Spring through Fall there is always some fruit ripening. Winter would be the really difficult time.

We have a dozen chickens and a bunch of ducks. My wife and I “process” ducks or chickens once in a while. We ate a duck a couple of weekends ago. And of course we collect eggs every day. I have a couple of incubators and have used them to hatch ducklings the last two years but probably won’t this year. But I have the knowledge to do it if there is electricity. Of course I have had a broody hen that has hatched the eggs for me.

I don’t care how many MRE’s someone has, they are eventually going to run out.

We will just have to trust Yahowah to help us through. Manna anyone? I know what to look for.

Exo 16:15 And the children of Yisra’ĕl saw, and they said to each other, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. And Mosheh said to them, “It is the bread which יהוה has given you to eat.
Exo 16:16 “This is the word which יהוה has commanded: ‘Let every man gather it according to each one’s need, an omer for each being, according to the number of beings. Let every man take for those who are in his tent.’ ”
Exo 16:17 And the children of Yisra’ĕl did so and gathered, some more, some less.
Exo 16:18 And they measured it by omers, and he who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little. Each one gathered according to his need.
Exo 16:19 And Mosheh said, “Let no one leave any of it until morning.”
Exo 16:20 And they did not listen to Mosheh, so some of them left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and stank. And Mosheh was wroth with them.
Exo 16:21 And they gathered it every morning, each one according to his need. And when the sun became hot, it melted.
Exo 16:22 And it came to be, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Mosheh.
Exo 16:23 And he said to them, “This is what יהוה has said, ‘Tomorrow is a rest, a Sabbath set-apart to יהוה. That which you bake, bake; and that which you cook, cook. And lay up for yourselves all that is left over, to keep it until morning.’ ”
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till morning, as Mosheh commanded. And it did not stink, and no worm was in it.
Exo 16:25 And Mosheh said, “Eat it today, for today is a Sabbath to יהוה, today you do not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 “Gather it six days, but on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, there is none.”
Exo 16:27 And it came to be that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none.
Exo 16:28 And יהוה said to Mosheh, “How long shall you refuse to guard My commands and My Torot1? Footnote: 1Torot - plural of Torah, teaching.
Exo 16:29 “See, because יהוה has given you the Sabbath, therefore He is giving you bread for two days on the sixth day. Let each one stay in his place, do not let anyone go out of his place on the seventh day.”
Exo 16:30 So the people rested on the seventh day1. Footnote: The seventh day of the week, the weekly Sabbath, was observed before the Ten Words were given on Mt. Sinai.
Exo 16:31 And the house of Yisra’ĕl called its name Manna. And it was like white coriander seed, and the taste of it was like thin cakes made with honey.
Exo 16:32 And Mosheh said, “This is the word which יהוה has commanded: ‘Fill an omer with it, to keep for your generations, so that they see the bread with which I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you out of the land of Mitsrayim.’ ”

An omer is about a quart. A quart of wheat has about 2000 calories or enough to sustain a person for one day.

Shabbat shalom
Offline JamesH  
#54 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:42:33 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the response 

I have chickens, ducks, sheep, a veg garden, fruit trees, grape vines, bees, and have been playing around with trying to be self sustaining.

It's not as easy as it sounds in fact it is VERY difficult to be self sustaining.

After the war with chicken hawks, coyotes, gophers, ground squirrels, skunks, opossums, and the worst (stray dogs).  There is not a lot left. 

Also my grand daughters naming the lambs doesn't help putting them on the BBQ 

It takes a lot of work to produce your own food!

How ever it is rewarding to eat fresh ripe fruit and vegs right off the trees.

I can't rember who posted the link to ( willhite seed inc) a while back (thanks ) I kind of get carried away with the buy button.

I have not yet been able to be self sustaining but I think I could live maybe a year if no major problems.
Offline JamesH  
#55 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:18:03 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
cgb2 wrote:
When you look what happens with fiat (faith-based) currency thruout history, it's not a "could" but a certainty.
And confimation of Yah's "dishonest weights and measures are an abomination".
It's just a matter of when.

Central banks are a one-rick pony, with their only trick to "print" more currency - also know as inflation. Right now similar to 2008 meltdown insiders are getting out of stock market, and large bets being placed of meltdown before end of april.

First it was the monetary "stimulus" in the late 90's bubbled high tech stock, then Y2K crash. Then real estate bubble and it's crash....Word is next is bond market with huge bubble.

China is positioning themselves to take us down and and already engaged in a major economic war with us.
Seems US's biggest "enemies" challenge the central bankers, and our troops used as mercenaries, although painted as justifiable causes.

While it's rediculous to think that just in time shipping and such will never fail, one can get carried away thinking you could ever be prepared enough. Besides if SHTF those who did are a big target for desparate people.

Hi cgb2

It ceases to amaze me every time I trade paper dollars out of my wallet for something of value. I feel like I'm cheating them.

I read the Creature from Jekyll Island several years ago and learned that our currency basically has no value.

Im always surprised that most people have absolutely no concept of how our monetary system works. 

On the subject of desperate people during a collapse. 

I'm conflicted on how I would respond to that.  " don't kill " or do you respond to them by adding them to the vermin list.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vermin