logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PerrBear  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:44:23 AM(UTC)
PerrBear

I have a unique opportunity and I need your help. My wife is staunchly Mormon, but not being able to answer my questions regarding the veracity of her religion herself, she has offered to get some of the higher ups in her stake to try and answer them. I would like to put together a list of damning questions that may push her away from her beliefs to where she can start to yada Yahowah. Obviously, she is a little turned off by Yada’s blasts against the Mormons so she is unwilling to read YY or Future History. I’m hoping the new intro to YY avoids any attacks on specific religions to allow people to start questioning for themselves before they build a wall against the truth.

Questions about the use of “lord” instead of Yahowah, and the Deuteronomy 18 part about true prophets are good, but I’d like to have a dozen questions that are equally damning. Do any of you have suggestions?
Offline Richard  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:25:48 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a letter from the Smithsonian Institute's Department of Anthropology, which they sent to me in answer to my query regarding the historical claims of The Book of Mormon. In it they debunk the references to great walled cities and civilizations. In their opinion, the book is a work of fiction. I will be happy to email you a copy of that letter.

Also, ask them why their book states that an "angel" announced that Jebus would be born in the city of Jerusalem. They will respond that the heavenly messenger was referring to the county or precinct of Jerusalem. They cannot admit that their "prophet" Smith was a liar.

Ask them why Brigham Young states in one his many discourses that, "Adam became God and is the only God with Whom we have to do." That is not the exact quote, but it is accurate in its meaning. Why do they believe that we worship Adam? Upon what Scripture do they base their belief that we will become gods?

They are well-trained, brother, so watch yourself. In fact, I wouldn't even let them into my house, as it will be their intent to drive a wedge between you and your wife. May Yahuwah confound them and embarrass them before your wife's eyes.

Ask them why their priests have to grope a young bride's flesh beneath her robes prior to her marriage. Ask about their special underwear that supposedly wards off demons. Ask them why the magical Elton John glasses Smith wore to translate the book gave him a readout in Elizabethan English, the English of the King James Version of the "Bible", instead of in the English of Smith's day.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Offline Richard  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:32:10 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

P.S. Of special interest to me was the Smithsonian's revelation that there was no glass on this continent prior to the arrival of the Spanish explorers. But Smith's book claims that the ships which brought the heroes of his fiction here centuries earlier had glass windows. The truth is that Smith probably stole the manuscript of a romance novel from an acquaintance, and there would seem to be ample proof to support such a claim. You can read more in the late Walter Martin's excellent book, The Kingdom of the Cults. Martin was himself a Christian, so you will have to put up with Pauline doctrine and all the made-up names that religion uses, but the facts he produces and documents are damning to Mormonism, the Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.
Offline FredSnell  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:58:23 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I watched this the other day. Some of it's about the Mormons and the rest is about others, but all in all, most of it is funny. Bill Mahr may not be alot of folks cup of tea, but the guy makes good points...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYjkJNB9Yo

Eyes easily offended watch out at 0:34
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:12:51 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
A few points that I found while doing a quick search around.

Joseph Smith said that six foot men, dressed like Quakers, live on the moon and live to be 1000 years old. (The Young Woman's Journal,Vol 3,p263)

Brigham Young claimed that men inhabit the sun. (Journal of Discourses, Vol.13, p.271, 10/24/1870)

Brigham Young also prophesied that the Civil War would not free the slaves.(Journal of Discourses, Vol.10, p.250, 10/6/1863)

I verified those three, I found this, but was unable to verify it:

Joseph Smith claimed that Jesus would return by 1891 (History of the Church,Vol.2,p182)

Also apparently scholars have looked at the Egyptian Papyrus that Joe Smith claimed to have translated and discovered to be the Book of Abraham, and it is largely the Book of the Dead, and other Egyptian burial text, and noting about Abraham.

A few good questions I came across:

Mormons believe that the Church that Jebus founded fell into total apostasy in the 1st century, yet the Bible as we know it wasn't compiled for at least another century by the Catholic Church and the King James Version of the Bible, which Mormons use, wasn't produced until the 17th century. Why do Mormons use the Bible at all, since, under their beliefs, it was compiled by an apostate church?

Doesn't it seem odd that the Mormon church followed the United States command rather than God's command? (e.g. Polygamy ended when challenged by the government and blacks were allowed to be priests following the civil rights movement.)

If Brigham Young was a true prophet, how come one of your later prophets overturned his declaration which stated that the black man could never hold the priesthood in the LDS Church until after the resurrection of all other races (Journal of Discourses, Dec. 12, 1854, 2:142-143)?

Can you show me archeological and historical proof from non-Mormon sources that prove that the peoples and places named in the Book of Mormon are true?

Why does the Book of Mormon state that Jesus was born in Jerusalem (Alma 7:10) when history and the Bible state that he was born outside of Jerusalem, in Bethlehem?

If the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth, as Joseph Smith said, why does it contain over 4000 changes from the original 1830 edition?

If the Book of Mormon was engraved on gold plates thousands of years ago, why does it read in perfect 1611 King James Version English?

If God was once just a man who progressed to becoming a God, how do you explain Psalm 90:2: “…even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God”?

How can any men ever become Gods when the Bible says, “Before me there was no god formed, neither shall there be after me”? (Isaiah 43:10)

How can a man who is not a descendant of Aaron hold the Aaronic Priesthood? (Numbers 16:40)

How did Nephi with a few men on a new continent build a temple like Solomon's while Solomon needed 163,300 workmen and seven years to build his temple? (1 Kings 5:13-18 and 2 Nephi 5:15-17).

Why is it that numerous LDS books and papers describe proposed Book of Mormon locations for cities and the "narrow neck of land"? No city has been identified as being Nephite, Lamanite, Jaredite, etc. For example, Zarahemla was occupied for hundreds of years, but we still don't have any real evidence of it ever existing. The Book of Mormon describes a time period from 2000 BC to 400 AD and millions of people. No city they occupied has yet to be found.

Why are Greek names such as Lachoneus, Timothy, Jonas, and Alpha & Omega in a book that should have absolutely no Greek influence?

Why doesn't a linguistical relationship exist between any native American language and ancient Egyptian or Hebrew?

How did the Book of Mormon language evolve so rapidly into non-related Indian languages? Indo-European is much older than the Book of Mormon time period, yet vestiges of Indo-European exist through all of Europe and parts of Asia.

Why are only four main types of Mesoamerican writing systems known (and none in pre-Columbus North America): (Aztec, Mixtec, Zapotec, and Maya)?

Why haven't any of the Book of Mormon proper names such as Nephi, Laman, Zarahemla, etc. been found in all of the many writings that have been found in Mesoamerica?

Why aren't any of the Indian tribes racially or genetically the same as Hebrews? American Indians are all of Mongoloid origin.

Why is the Passover mentioned 71 times in the Bible, but -0- times in the Book of Mormon?

How did Book of Mormon characters get the priesthood when they weren't from the tribe of Levi?

Why does the Book of Mormon prophesy that the Jews would be restored to the land of their inheritance if they believed in Christ (they are occupying it now w/o believing in Christ)? (2 Nephi 10:7)

Why was Paul referred to before his time? (Paul said, "Death where is thy sting")

Why is a Greek word like "Christ" used throughout the Book of Mormon?

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline PerrBear  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:32:55 PM(UTC)
PerrBear

I would love to have a copy of the Smithsonian document (perry@perrbearchocolates.com). I have had the Mormon missionaries in my home many times (my wife agrees to feed them now and then) and they are usually taken aback by my basic knowledge and the questions they can't answer. I'm hoping to get the chance to debate some higher-ups who supposedly know their doctrine extremely well. My wife falls back on the excuse that the missionaries are just not trained well enough to be able to answer my questions, but there are answers. She seems fairly close to walking out of Babylon. That is my dearest hope. Thanks for all the feedback.
Offline cgb2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:33:15 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
http://www.southparkstud...12-all-about-the-mormons

Is a South Park parody, but if summarizing correctly Mormanism points out many glaring things that are tough to swallow. Caution does use rough language.
Offline Daniel  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:49:41 AM(UTC)
Daniel

cgb2 wrote:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s07e12-all-about-the-mormons

Is a South Park parody,

Dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb-DUMB!

;-)
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline Richard  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 7:33:57 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

cgb2 wrote:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s07e12-all-about-the-mormons

Is a South Park parody, but if summarizing correctly Mormanism points out many glaring things that are tough to swallow. Caution does use rough language.

The song lyrics were hilarious! Thanks!
Offline FredSnell  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 1:42:19 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
flintface wrote:
The song lyrics were hilarious! Thanks!

Quote:

I hear you there, Richard. I keep getting a laugh when lookin at my sons during work and singing, "dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb." They know where it's from, but that was so funny I just have to keep singing it to 'em.
Happy Passover, brother!