logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FriendofthePeople  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 4:33:01 PM(UTC)
FriendofthePeople

hello everyone and may peace be with you all

this is my first post after joining the site and please pardon my ignorance for i am here to learn and understand

i need help if anyone could address my question or provide websites that i can read that will be awesome!

Now on to the question, earlier today i was approach by two gentlemen and they wanted to discuss about the mother goddess? god's female counter part or wife

is there a mother goddess? or were they the ones being lied too?

i always thought Yahweh was the ONLY creator and i still do, even if they disagreed (which they did)

also to give a background on the two gentlemen they couldn't explain to me why Yahweh name was taken out the Bible and replace with ''God'' or "Lord"

they also couldn't explain the name of ''jesus''..when i told them thats not his name and ''jesus'' was made up and evolved from greek mythology

when i told the gentlemen's that no letter "J'' existed in the time of Yahushua and in the hebrew alphabet

also one more thing if anyone can assist me, is the word ''Elohim" means one God or Gods?

thank you very much if any brother/sister can help me out

Peace :)

Offline James  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:03:44 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I can say emphatically that their is no mother goddess in Scripture.

Yah does have a feminine aspect, which takes the form of Yah's Ruwach Ha Qowdesh, Yah's Set-Apart Spirit. But this is not a separate being or a goddess, it is exactly what the text says, a part of Yah separated from the whole, and set apart for a specific purpose. She is our Spiritual Mother, it is through Her that we are born from above, and able to enjoy eternal life with Yah.

As for Elohym, in Hebrew it is in the plural form. This, as I understand it, is to show the multiple aspects of Yah, his different manifestations, that of Father, Mother and Child i.e. Family. The word is not translated as Gods in translation because the verb attached to it is in the singular form.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline RidesWithYah  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:45:21 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Mother Goddess is a babylonian corruption, adopted by the Catholic church.
See my recent thread Mary and Asherah, HERE.
Offline FriendofthePeople  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:54:37 AM(UTC)
FriendofthePeople

thank you brothers very much for this information

much respect and peace
Offline TRUTH B-TOLD  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
TRUTH B-TOLD
Man

Not sure what those two men were speaking of when they use the term Mother goddess. I understand that the Ruwach Ha Qowdesh carries a feminine aspect in the wording of it's spelling & that the Catholic church corrupted a teaching that is Babylonian in concept. can someone help me with the understanding of who the Queen of Heaven is that the israelites were worshipping & giving offerings to in these verses.

Jer 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead [their] dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
Jer 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for [then] had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
Jer 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all [things], and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.
Jer 44:19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?
Jer 44:25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows.

Are they continuing in something that followed Abraham out of Babylon or did they understand that the Ruwach Ha Qowdesh was feminine in nature.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:32:07 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

A good start on the history is HERE.

Let me know if you need more in depth, I have a longer version.

Shalom.
Offline danshelper  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:07:29 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Many sources suggest that the ‘queen of heaven’, Ashtoreth, was the moon as an object of worship, and was originally “the supreme goddess of Canaan and the female counterpart of Baal.” (ISBE, Ashtoreth: http://www.internationalstandardbible.com/A/ashtoreth.html)

Smith’s Bible Dictionary: Queen of heaven,
( Jeremiah 7:18 ; Jeremiah 45:17 Jeremiah 45:18 Jeremiah 45:19 Jeremiah 45:25 ) is the moon Ashtaroth or Astarte to whom worshiped as Hebrew women offered cakes in the streets of Jerusalem.

Easton Bible Dictionary: Queen of heaven
( Jeremiah 7:18 ; Jeremiah 44:17 Jeremiah 44:25 ), the moon, worshipped by the Assyrians as the receptive power in nature.

The study notes for Jeremiah 7:18 here http://bible.cc/jeremiah/7-18.htm seem to be in agreement that the cakes made to the ‘queen of heaven’ were round as the moon. Also, the crescent shaped ornaments in Isaiah 3:18 (and Judges 8:21) seem to be symbolic of moon (or sun) reverence.

It’s really difficult to sort out the exact celestial object of worship that the ‘queen of heaven’ was connected to, since she seems at different times to have been associated with the sun, moon, stars and planets:
Quote:
Other local circumstances gave her many other forms. Thus, in Sabæa she was identified with the sun and the morning star; at Mecca and in Assyria, with Venus; and at Zidon, with the moon. http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=2005&letter=A#ixzz1HXL85BG6

The names, symbols and attributes of deities have been so blended over time that it’s hard to sort out, but certainly, as RWY points out, the ‘queen of heaven’ has morphed into the Catholic Mary.

Offline TRUTH B-TOLD  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:13:20 AM(UTC)
TRUTH B-TOLD
Man

Thanks RWY & danshelper, thats what I was looking for and helped me alot.
Offline JamesH  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:08:50 PM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Constantine’s Letter to the Council of Nicaea (325 A.D.); His Antipathy for the Jewish People; and His decision to change the date of Passover and to call it Easter:
Constantine Augustus, to the churches.
(1) The great grace of God’s power has constantly been increasing, as is evident in the general prosperity of the empire. I therefore decided to make it my aim above all else that one faith, sincere love, and unvarying devotion to Almighty God be maintained among the most blessed assemblies of the catholic church.
(2) But I perceived that this could only be established firmly and permanently when all of the bishops, or at least the greatest part, were convened in the same place for a council where they could discuss every point of our most holy religion. So we assembled as many as possible, and I myself was also present as one of you; for I will not deny what I especially rejoice in, that I am your fellow-servant. All points were then minutely investigated, until a decision was brought to light which was found acceptable to him who is the inspector of all things, and brought a unified agreement, leaving nothing which could cause dissension or controversy in matters of faith.
(3) At the council we also considered the issue of our holiest day, Easter, and it was determined by common consent that everyone, everywhere should celebrate it on one and the same day. For what can be more appropriate, or what more solemn, than that this feast from which we have received the hope of immortality, should be kept by all without variation, using the same order and a clear arrangement? And in the first place, it seemed very unworthy for us to keep this most sacred feast following the custom of the Jews, a people who have soiled their hands in a most terrible outrage, and have thus polluted their souls, and are now deservedly blind. Since we have cast aside their way of calculating the date of the festival, we can ensure that future generations can celebrate this observance at the more accurate time which we have kept from the first day of the passion until the present time.
(4) Therefore have nothing in common with that most hostile people, the Jews. We have received another way from the Savior. In our holy religion we have set before us a course which is both valid and accurate. Let us unanimously pursue this. Let us, most honored brothers, withdraw ourselves from that detestable association.
(5) It is truly most absurd for them to boast that we are incapable of rightly observing these things without their instruction. On what subject are they competent to form a correct judgment, who, after that murder of their Lord lost their senses, and are led not by any rational motive, but by an uncontrollable impulsiveness to wherever their innate fury may drive them? This is why even in this matter they do not perceive the truth, so that they constantly err in the utmost degree, and will celebrate the Feast of Passover a second time in the same year instead of making a suitable correction.
(6) Why then should we follow the example of those who are acknowledged to be infected with serious error? Surely we should never allow Easter to be kept twice in one and the same year! But even if these considerations were not laid before you, you should still be careful, both by diligence and prayer, that your pure souls should have nothing in common, or even seem to do so, with the customs of men so utterly depraved.
(7) This should also be considered: In a matter so important and of such religious significance, the slightest disagreement is most irreverent.
(8) For our Savior left us only one day to be observed in remembrance of our deliverance, that is the day of his most holy passion. He also wished his catholic church to be one; the members of which are still cared for by one Spirit, that is by the will of God, however much they may be scattered in various places.
(9) Let the good sense consistent with your sacred character consider how grievous and inappropriate it is, that on the same days some should be observing fasts, while others are celebrating feasts; and after the days of Easter some should celebrate festivities and enjoyments, while others submit to appointed fastings. For this reason Divine Providence directed that we put into effect an appropriate correction and establish uniformity of practice, as I suppose you are all aware.
(10) So first, it was desirable to change the situation so that we have nothing in common with that nation of father-killers who slew their Lord. Second, the order which is observed by all the churches of the western, southern, and northern parts, and by some also in the eastern is quite suitable. Therefore, at the current time, we all thought it was proper that you, intelligent as you are, would also cheerfully accept what is observed with such general unanimity of sentiment in the city of Rome, throughout Italy, Africa, all Egypt, Spain, France, Britain, Libya, the whole of Greece, and the dioceses of Asia, Pontus, and Cilicia. I pledged myself that this solution would satisfy you after you carefully examined it, especially as I considered that not only are the majority of congregations located in the places just mentioned, but also that we all have a most sacred obligation, to unite in desiring whatever common sense seems to demand, and what has no association with the perjury of the Jews.
(11) But to sum up matters briefly, it was determined by common consent that the most holy festival of Easter should be solemnized on one and the same day; for it is not at all decent that there should be in such a sacred serious matter any difference. It is quite commendable to adopt this option which has nothing to do with any strange errors, nor deviates from what is right.
(12) Since these things are consistent, gladly receive this heavenly and truly divine command. For whatever is done in the sacred assemblies of the bishops can be traced to Divine will. Therefore, once you have demonstrated the things which have been prescribed to all our beloved brothers, it would be good for you to make public the above written statements and to accept the reasoning which has proved itself to be sound, and to establish this observance of the most holy day. In this way, when I arrive to check on your condition, which I have desired earnestly for some time, I will be able to celebrate the sacred festival with you on one and the same day, and will rejoice with you for all things, as I see that through our efforts divine power is frustrating Satan’s cruelty, and that your faith, peace, and unity are flourishing everywhere.
May God preserve you, beloved brothers.
Source: NPNF vol. 2, p. 14-16, adapted by AJW. Other translations in Eusebius (NPNF vol. 1, p. 524-5) and Theodoret (NPNF vol. 3, p. 47-8).

Easter and Ishtar—the Babylonian and Assyrian Fertility Goddess:The name “Easter” comes from the name of the Babylonian and Assyrian fertility goddess Ishtar. This is what the Encyclopedia Britannica says about Ishtar, “…the chief goddess of Babylonia and Assyria, the counterpart of the Phoenician Astarte (q.v.) The earliest written form of the name is Ash-dar, an Accadian rendering of the older Sumerian Innîni, ‘Lady of Heaven.’ Ishtar was the Semitic deity identified with the Sumerian Venus. For this reason Asdar, Ishtar, is undoubtedly the same deity as the south Arabian Athtar, god of the planet Venus. At all events it is now generally recognized that the name is Semitic in its origin. Where the name originated is likewise uncertain, but the indications point to Erech, where we find the worship of a great Sumerian mother-goddess having no association with a male counterpart flourishing in the oldest period of Babylonian history. She appears under various names, among which are Nanâ, Innanna, Ninâ and annuit. As early as the days of Khammurabi we find these various names which represented originally different goddesses, though all manifest as the chief trait the life-giving power united in Ishtar. Even when the older names are employed it is always the great mother-goddess who is meant. Ishtar is the one goddess in the pantheon who retains her independent position despite and throughout all changes that the Babylonian-Assyrian religion undergoes.” (14th edition, vol. 12, p. 707)
Since Astarte is the same principal goddess, let’s see what is said about her under this name, “A Semitic goddess whose name appears in the Bible as Ashtoreth. She is everywhere the great female principle answering to the Baal of the Canaanites and Phoenicians and to the Dagon of the Philistines. She had temples at Sidon and at Tyre (whence her worship was transplanted to Carthage), and the Philistines probably venerated her at Ascalon (1 Sam. Xxxi. 10). Solomon built a high-place for her at Jerusalem which lasted until the days of King Josiah (I. Kings xi. 5; II. Kings xxiii. 13), and the extent of her cult among the Israelites is proved as much by the numerous biblical references as by the frequent representations of the deity turned up on Palestinian soil. The Moabites formed a compound deity, Ashtar-Chemosh and the absence of the feminine termination occurs similarly in the Babylonian and Assyrian prototype Ishtar. The old South Arabian phonetic equivalent ‘Athtar’ is, however, a male deity. Another compound, properly of mixed sex, appears in the Aramaean Atargatis (‘At[t]ar-’athe), worn down to Derketo, who is specifically associated with sacred pools and fish (Ascalon, Hierapolis-Mabog).
“As the great nature-goddess, the attributes of fertility and reproduction are characteristically hers, as also the accompanying immorality which originally, perhaps, was often nothing more than primitive magic. As patroness of the hunt, later identification with Artemis was inevitable. Hence the consequent fusion with Aphrodite, Artemis, Diana, Juno and Venus, and the action and reaction of one upon the other in myth and legend. Her star was the planet Venus, and classical writers give her the epithet Caelestis and Urania. Robertson Smith argues that Astarte was originally a sheep-goddess, and the points to the interesting use of ‘Astartes of the flocks’ (Deut. Vii. 13) to denote the offspring. To nomads, Astarte may well have been a sheep-goddess, but this, if her earliest, was not her only type, as it clear from the sacred fish of Atargatis, the doves of Ascalon (and of the Phoenician sanctuary of Eryx), and the gazelle or antelope of the goddess of love (associated with the Arabian Athtar). (Encyclopedia Britannica, 14th Edition, Vol. 2, pp. 570-571)
Ishtar was also known as the pagan “Lady or Queen of Heaven.” Yahweh told Jeremiah, “Do you not see what they are doing in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead dough to make cakes for the queen of heaven; and they pour out drink offerings to other gods in order to spite Me. Do they spite Me?” declares Yahweh. “Is it not themselves they spite, to their own shame?” Jeremiah 7: 17-19.
Alexander Hislop has this to say, “The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now. The ‘buns,’ known too by that identical name, were used in the worship of the queen of heaven, the goddess Easter, as early as the days of Cecrops, the founder of Athens—that is, 1500 years before the Christian era. ‘One species of sacred bred,’ says Bryant, ‘which used to be offered to the gods, was of great antiquity, and called Boun.’ Diogenes Laertius, speaking of this offering being made by Empedocles, describes the chief ingredients of which it was composed, saying, ‘He offered one of the sacred cakes called Boun, which was made of fine flour and honey’.” (The Two Babylons, pp. 107-108)