logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 9:47:01 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Just thought I would share this, I was working on translations when i came across a word I recognized, but hadn't translated before.

Anyone who has read POD knows the term Ummah,in Islam it means community essentially. The Caliph was the leader of the Islamic Ummah for example, well like most important Arabic words this to was taken from Hebrew.

DBL wrote:
אֻמָּה (ʾǔm∙mā(h)): n.fem.; ≡ Str 523; TWOT 115e—1. LN 10.2 tribe, family clan based on a relatively close kinship (Ge 25:16; Nu 25:15+), note: for another interp of text in Ps 44:15[EB 14]; 57:10[EB 9]; 108:4[EB 3]; 149:7, see 4211; 2. LN 11.1–11.11 peoples, i.e., a national group, larger than mere clan

While studying the word I found that using the exact same root letters, Alef Mim Hey, but vocalized different, you get.

Quote:
אָמָה (ʾā∙mā(h)): n.fem.; ≡ Str 519; TWOT 112—1. LN 87.76–87.86 slave woman, female servant, maidservant, i.e., one owned as property, with a low social status implied (Ge 20:17); 2. LN 35.19–35.30 servant, i.e., the figurative extension of being a slave or property, implying a relationship of humility and service to a superior

Considering Islam, I think this is pretty interesting, also the first use of it, is in relation to Ishmael's descendants, coincidence?
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Royce  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 7:06:49 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

James wrote:
Just thought I would share this, I was working on translations when i came across a word I recognized, but hadn't translated before.

Anyone who has read POD knows the term Ummah,in Islam it means community essentially. The Caliph was the leader of the Islamic Ummah for example, well like most important Arabic words this to was taken from Hebrew.

While studying the word I found that using the exact same root letters, Alef Mim Hey, but vocalized different, you get.

Considering Islam, I think this is pretty interesting, also the first use of it, is in relation to Ishmael's descendants, coincidence?

impressive buddy!