logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline austex  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:57:28 PM(UTC)
austex

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum but I've been nodding my head in agreement with Yada Yahweh and Future History for a few years now.

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered in-depth on here before; I checked pretty quickly and didn't see it.

I was raised a Baptist, if going to Baptist churches means being "raised" as one. At a pretty young age (13 or so), I can remember that I started to feel that something wasn't right with "church." If I ever mentioned something to my dad about it, though, he'd say something along the lines of 'Shut up.' He wasn't abusive about it or anything, he just wouldn't hear anything I had to say. As I got a little older that feeling got stronger. I didn't like how church was, with the deacons and the various pastors and that sort of thing. I couldn't put my finger on it, though. But of course I had years and years of church tradition going against me. Once again, if I said anything about it, I'd be told I obviously didn't like authority figures, and that I needed to 'straighten up.' It got to where I figured I was just wrong.

When I was about 16, my family joined a 'seeker sensitive' church. It would eventually grow to become one of the biggest mega-churches in the country. The second I walked in, I felt a very sort of forbidding presence, I guess you could call it. Once again, I tried to tell my dad about it, and he wouldn't listen. He thought the music was so awesome. It took about 4 years of going every Sunday for my dad to finally figure out that that church was bad news.

Sorry, I digressed there. The point of my post is to ask what everyone here thinks of the traditional Protestant church structure. Pastors, deacons, etc etc. I respect my elders and all that, but I guess I've always felt like the hierarchy of church leadership had a very Catholic feel to it. Judging by what I've read in Yada Yahweh, my feelings were correct.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on that. Maybe we can get a good discussion going.
Offline lassie1865  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:45:35 PM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Austex, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will like it here. Wouldn't it be great if everyone just met in someone's home? In fact, I hear that more people are doing just that.

Shalom
Offline austex  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:55:15 PM(UTC)
austex

Thanks for the welcome! Yes it would be great if we just met in someone's home. I always liked the idea of that.
Offline Royce  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:32:15 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Hey austex, I personally dont respect any of the church leader types because they teach lies and havent got the respect for what they do or God to learn the full truth of what it is they are trying to teach. They are a bunch of vampires living off the blood of the members. I have argued with baptist preachers before but they tried to team up on me. I dont try to tell anyone anything unless they ask. Most dont really care about the truth these days. I asked a group of friends if they discovered that all the holidays etc.. that they observe are actually satanic and therefore against God, would they still continue to celebrate them (easter, christmas etc..) most said they would because it was fun for the kids and they were so use to doing it plus they felt it was if you were a good person more than any of that stuff. I was like, really? Sorry for getting off the topic a little.
Welcome to the site.
Royce
Offline bigritchie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:51:18 PM(UTC)
bigritchie

The entire thing is a illusion. The word church never occurs in the Scriptures and was edited in by biased translators towing the party line. It was truly the assembly of called out people, both Jew and Gentile who kept the Creator's commandments and followed the teachings of Yahuwshua.

Christianity is Babylon, whether it be mommy Rome or all the whore daughters of the protesting Catholics.

When you realize that the Messiah Yahuwshua was never a Christian, nor did he come to start some new religion, the illusion falls that much more.

(I was raised in the ole Baptist cult myself)

Church "leadership" roles and hierarchy comes straight from Paul's letters, and the Messiah taught there is ONE boss, one teacher, and one shepherd.....him.

That feeling you had your entire life was 100% correct.

I would as soon set foot in a temple to Zeus as I would a christian church. (or any religion for that matter)
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:18:40 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
bigritchie wrote:
Church "leadership" roles and hierarchy comes straight from Paul's letters, and the Messiah taught there is ONE boss, one teacher, and one shepherd.....him.

We can blame Paul all we want but we mustn't forget that order was first established in the Torah. Even in Jerusalem we can see Peter & Co establishing some sort of order. Even Jewish synagogues of old times had order and a hierarchy of "job positions," for example elders were to help as an advisory and with administration and even teaching. It's a shame the Church, body of believers, stopped with Paul and blindly accept their own leader's understanding of Scripture without investigating the Torah, Prophets, Psalms and the life of Yahshua for themselves.

History Homework:

You live in a small poorish town isolated from other places some 2000 years ago and you have a gathering of some 200 people, and growing, to hear the Word. How would you maintain order? What job positions would you give to certain people to maintain some sort of order, for example education, health, food, teaching of the Word, and the administration of the building used to teach the Tanakh from the single manuscript in collection? Would you put any less qualified person to do those jobs, or those more gifted/qualified/chosen-by-prayer to perform them? If you prefer not to establish some sort of order please explain why.
Offline bigritchie  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:06:08 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

In a real setting, everyone contributed.

Elders were to simply keep things from getting out of hand.

There is one teacher.......Messiah

one Shepherd...............Messiah

One boss....................Messiah

I also think of it like this.

When your neighbors cow gets loose, and you hold him until he gets home, do we really need some kind of religious hierarchy? The Torah is about how we live, how we interact with the world. Yes Moses set up judges, but it was to enforce civil issues, it was not a religious hierarchy. It is about relationship not religion. Yes Israel had "Judges", but they were not religious gurus, they were civil issues and war issues.

When James and John asked to sit at the right and left hand of Messiah and he rebuked them....One lesson about that. If James and John sit at the right hand of Messiah, all you have left is the right and left hand of James and John, and so on.

In fact the Messiah specifically warned regarding setting up religious hierarchy, and said that is something the gentiles do to lord over each other, and that we are NOT to do that.

We do not need preachers, pastors, priest, popes, rabbis, etc to brainwash us and tell us what to do or not do. In fact history proves without a doubt these religious hierarchies and gurus virtually always lead people away from the Creator and tell them NOT to obey him. People also become lazy and braindead, and rather then search out matters for themselves they ask their religious guru.

In my opinion to set a religious guru over yourself is to make that person your mighty one and your authority, and it is nothing short of idolatry. You have literally made that religious guru your "god". Now of course there is nothing wrong with asking a "elder" for advice, but from my own experience in "Churchianity" that advice was generally 100% wrong most of the time
Offline austex  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:44:32 PM(UTC)
austex

I definitely agree with you, bigritchie. The problem I have is that I don't like judging people. I've been to churches where the pastor genuinely seemed like a good man, and I've been to 'purpose-driven' mega churches where the various pastors are empty suits--or empty polo shirt and blue jeans, whatever. Sitting through years of purpose-driven services absolutely infuriated me. What made it worse is that my dad loved it. Like I said before, I just came to believe that my feelings were wrong, since I was young and therefore unwise.

As the years passed, I came to realize that maybe I was right.

I don't personally think that EVERYone who attends Christian church services is necessarily deceived. Some tradition has to be taken into consideration ('My grandpa and daddy were Baptists, so I am too', etc.). But I do think that these huge churches these days are turning out extremely weak 'Christians' who wouldn't accept sound doctrine if it slapped them in the face. Now, maybe if it was accompanied by awesome praise music and killer electric guitar in the style of Jimmy Page... Maybe then they'd be interested. Probably not, though.

In times like these, I find myself reading Isaiah 64 on a regular basis.
Offline James  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 2:52:14 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
To chime in with my two cents, which is about what it's worth, the way I see it, in any gathering of people you will have those that know more than others, and it is the job of those to teach the others. So to use the Jerusalem assembly as an example Peter and James etc. knew and and understood more than most, after all they walked with Yahushua, so they "led" the assembly.

I think the biggest problem with the way churches function is that, by in large, the same thing that is wrong with our public school system, we don't teach people how to think, they teach them what to think. While those with more experience and more knowledge should take the lead, the best process for learning is to have discussions. Personally i have learned things from people with a lot more experience and knowledge than myself, but I have also learned a great deal from people with less, so i am always open to listening to someone else's ideas.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Richard  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:28:18 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
James wrote:
I think the biggest problem with the way churches function is that, by [and] large, the same thing that is wrong with our public school system, we don't teach people how to think, [we] teach them what to think.

You know, James, that is just dead on accurate, brother. When we can think for ourselves, we can answer Yahuweh's call to, "Come, let us reason together." When we accept being told what we ought to be thinking in order to please men, we give up our right to use the ability to think for ourselves.
Offline James  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:40:33 AM(UTC)
James
Man

This post kind of feel through the cracks so I thought I would point it out to people. Sorry if this is annoying, but it's imperfect software used by imperfect people.

Offline Daniel  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:37:16 AM(UTC)
Daniel

James wrote:
This post kind of feel through the cracks so I thought I would point it out to people. Sorry if this is annoying, but it's imperfect software used by imperfect people.

As for me and my house, we will serve [with] Unix.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline James  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:01:04 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Daniel wrote:
As for me and my house, we will serve [with] Unix.

Probably not a bad way to go, but it's not up to me.