logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jatrom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:13:26 PM(UTC)
jatrom

Hi,
I'm busy reading QP and have a question about the placement of a colon mark:
The verse being quoted is:

Mat 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:(KJV)

The colon mark however is shifted in QP so that these verses read:
Mat 7:13 for this is the law and the prophets: begin by entering through the narrow gate....(my own words, just to explain my concern - I don't have the original quote before me..)

This obviously changes the meaning of this verse significantly.
Is there any rules for placement of the colon? Was there even a colon in the original scripture?
I understand that puntuation marks was never a part of the original scripture.
I am just busy to establish some credibility for this writings, before digging in too deep. We don't want to fall in the same trap as Paul, and force meanings by misquoting...
I will raise my other concerns in time to come.
Offline cgb2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:43:31 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Here's another amplified version from oldest extant manuscripts:
http://www.thewaytoyahuw...ersion1/matthew#chapter7

Here's translation from ISR 1998:
Mat 7:11 “If you then, being wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in the heavens give what is good to those who ask Him!
Mat 7:12 “Therefore, whatever you wish men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Torah and the Prophets.
Mat 7:13 “Enter in through the narrow gate! Because the gate is wide – and the way is broad – that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter in through it.
Mat 7:14 “Because the gate is narrow and the way is hard pressed1 which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Footnote: 1Or the way is afflicted.
Mat 7:15 “But beware of the false prophets,1 who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are savage wolves. Footnote: 1See v. 23

...or is KJV verse 12 trying to be used as if the Messiah was teaching lawlessness (well, except for love your neighbor portion)?