logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Royce  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:14:49 AM(UTC)
Royce
Man

I got to talking with Quester on this and he seems to think that the month somehow affects the weekday. I personally know of no instance in history that changed the days of the week from following each other, Say for instance Monday has always been before Tuesday and Sunday before Monday etc... Sunday is the first day of the week as far as I know. And Monday the second and so on. Now the names might not have always been Sunday Monday Tuesday etc.. but the have always gone in the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 order as far as I know. Any thoughts on this folks. Im tired so I better get some rest because I bet Quester will have a page full for me to go over, :-) ....
Thanks Folks
Offline Quester  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:50:10 AM(UTC)
Quester
Man

Royce wrote:
I got to talking with Quester on this

To provide more context for this discussion, here's what was discussed already in the "Hello my name is..." thread (see below).

Q

Royce wrote:
I recently was fired from my job because I took a stand and told them I could no longer work on the Sabbath. I opened my own shop ( I am an automotive technician) and now I work for myself and have the freedom to do what I need to and teach my son the way I see to be correct.
Royce

Quester wrote:
Hi Royce,

I'm curious, do you follow a Saturday Sabbath or a lunar-based Sabbath??

The difference being that a Saturday Sabbath is simply observed every time the Gregorian calendar reaches the last day of its perpetual seven-day cycle, while the lunar-based Sabbath follows the natural cycle of the moon (which isn't perfectly 28 days, but more like 29.5 days long) and thus moves around a little bit. One month it is on Saturdays, but the next month it may be on Fridays or Thursdays.

I've recently started to follow a lunar calendar, with the New Moon Day as the first day of each month (if you are familiar with the different types of lunar calendars), and it's definitely a challenge to arrange for rest days if you don't work for yourself!!

For example, today (Thursday) is a Sabbath, according to my calculation of the lunar month anyway...

Q

Royce wrote:
I just use the Saturday according to our calender. I figure since Yahweh set up the 7 day system I just go by that and not moons when weeks are concerned. Actually I just recently began researching the moons and all so I am still learning and studying a bunch but I am seeking the truth out. Thanks for your comments and glad to be here.

Quester wrote:
Hi Royce,

I'll just share a bit of what I've learned about the lunar calendar, in case it might help you in your own research.

The reason many people follow a moon-based calendar (and by extension a moon-based Sabbath), instead of the Gregorian calendar (which is a sun-based calendar) is that the Torah says quite a bit about how to calculate when the holy days are -- whether Sabbaths, New Moon Days, or the various festival days. And what it says has a lot to do with the cycle of the moon.

Before I go on, I'll just add that, technically-speaking, the calendar of the Tanakh ("old testament") and the ancient Hebrews was a "lumi-solar" calendar. That is, it was based on both the moon and the sun. Each month was completely moon-based (New Moon to New Moon = 1 month, who cares what the sun is doing!), but each year would begin only after the barley crop was checked for a certain level of ripeness (called "aviv," and by extension the name of the first month). Thus, whenever the barley crop wasn't quite ready, another moon-cycle (lunar month) would be added, before the new year would begin. This way, the ancient Hebrew calendar managed to stay in tune with the sun (adding the leap month every once in a while). Which was important, because the lunar year is shorter than the solar year by 11 or 12 days each solar year. No leap month would have meant drifting seasons, and the offerings and festivals wouldn't have been "sustainable" or accurate to what was commanded in the law.

Also before I go on, I'll just say that there is no neat and tidy "chapter" anywhere in the scriptures that is dedicated to explaining everything we might want to know about how to calculate the lunar calendar. The information is spread out, and takes some work to put together. So, my summary below took a lot of work to put together, and you may find some of it hard to believe, having not clearly read it all in one place before. But this is my favor to you: summarizing it all in one place like this. =)

Since the first day of the lunar month (as calculated in the Torah calendar) is always a New Moon Day, rather than the first day of the work week, the Hebrews had a calendar that did not follow a continuous seven-day cycle. Add to that the possibility for "New Moon Rebuilding Days" (my phrasing, not scripture's) at the end of roughly every-other month, and you have a Sabbath that does not continuously correlate to the Gregorian calendar.

As I understand it, the ancient Hebrew calendar looked like this:

02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
-------------------- (30)

Day 01 was New Moon Day, a day similar in observance to the Sabbath, but somewhat different, and apparently seen by Yahuwah as a whole 'nother category of day. You'll find special laws (related to what to do / what not to do) regarding these New Moon Days, which is proof enough of its existence as a separate day -- neither a work day, nor a Sabbath day. And you'll find New Moon Days and Sabbath days mentioned in the same "sentence," which is more evidence that they are separate categories of days.

Days 08, 15, 22, and 29 are always Sabbath days. Every instance in the Tanakh ("old testament") of a Sabbath day being connected to a number of the month, the Sabbath is one of these four numbers (more evidence of the first day of the month being a New Moon Day. If the first day of the lunar month was a work day, Sabbath days would be 07, 14, 21, and 28).

Day 30 is an optional day, added when needed. (There are "proof texts" for such a day being on the calendar, when needed.) Remember, the lunar month is on average 29.5 days long, so some months the two 0.5 days will add up to a whole day, and that day then gets added as Day 30. (A lot to explain with regards to how to calculate the beginning of the month -- when it starts. Maybe another time -- or another thread?)

All the other days not mentioned above are regular work days, unless a festival is scheduled. So, the first six columns of days are all work days. And all the days in the seventh column are special somehow.

So, if observing the Sabbath according to the Torah's instructions is important to Yahuwah, and if my explanation above (of the Torah calendar) is accurate, then following the Gregorian calendar's Saturday is going to be the incorrect day on which to be observing Sabbath (in Yahuwah's eyes) more often than not. Remember, the extra one or two days at the beginning or end of the ancient Hebrew calendar, will throw off the timing of the Sabbath days, as compared to the continuous seven-day cycle of the Gregorian calendar.

I've calculated this lunar calendar for the next twelve months or so, and have compared the lunar Sabbaths to the Gregorian calendar Saturdays, and have thus demonstrated (to myself) just how infrequently the lunar Sabbaths happen to fall on a Saturday.

Now, if Yahuwah doesn't really care about the Sabbath days being "correctly" observed (that is, according to the Torah instructions and the lunar calculation of when those days are to be observed), then you're probably good. If all he wants is a rest day once a week, then why not make it a Saturday? I have a friend who takes his rest day on Monday. (Who cares what the Roman calendar says. How do we know which day is the "seventh." Can't we start our count from anywhere, working six days, then resting one?)

But if he does care, then losing your job over a Saturday Sabbath observance might have been a great "opportunity" for you to start your own business, but it was "technically" the wrong day to fight over. You should have been fighting for a flex schedule in which you could have changed your day off to a different day, every four weeks. =) Ha! Well, now with your own business, I guess you can do whatever you want.

As another possibility, Yahuwah might not even care whether we observe Sabbath. Certainly Yahushua didn't observe Sabbath "correctly" (in terms of following all the rules associated with it, at least) -- as I understand it anyways. I believe the criticisms of him not observing the Sabbath were legitimate criticisms. But he did know which day it was supposed to be on (whether he always observed it or not), since the calendar he followed at that time was still the correct one. And maybe his justification of "my father is always working" wouldn't apply to us in the same way it applied to him. Or maybe that's the new perspective. Too much to think about.

I could say a lot more on this topic (especially on how to calculate the calendar -- which is more complicated that it sounds), but that should give you a head start on your own research.

If you want to continue the discussion, maybe start a separate thread (rather than PM me to continue in a private discussion), as I'm sure everybody here is interested in which calendar we should be following. And if you are interested in what conclusions I've come to, or have questions about what I just wrote, PM me to let know about your new thread and I'll try to post there.

Hope that helps more than it overwhelms.

Q

Royce wrote:
I reread this and was curious about something, do you mean that you dont see each 7th day as a Sabbath? Or that you restart the count each month with the moon? I did some research a while back and from what I could see the days of the week havent changed since around the time of Yahushua or before, maybe never. Thoughts?

Quester wrote:
I think I answered this question in my last post (which I was writing while you posted yours).

But just in case:

I mean that I restart the count each month with the moon, yes, but that I also add another day at the beginning of each month (and sometimes another at the end) that doesn't get included in the seven-day week.

To repeat a bit of what I wrote in the last post:

The New Moon Days add a day (sometimes two, roughly every-other lunar month) to the count. So, you've got your four continous weeks of seven days each (28 days that perfectly match the Gregorian calendar 7-day cycle), but then you have a New Moon Day (or two) that doesn't correlate, throwing off the relationship.

This happens each month, so the relationship gets skewed a bit more each time it happens.

If we start out with the lunar Sabbath landing on a Saturday, it will only be that way for four in a row. Then, it will land on a different day for four weeks in a row. And so on, until it comes back around and lands on Saturday again. Overall, it's going to land on days-besides-Saturday more often than it will land on Saturday, so following a Saturday Sabbath is going to be "wrong" most of the time. (That is, if you believe that Yahuwah cares about you following the Sabbath, and about you following the Sabbath as he calculates it in the Torah.)

As regards the days of the week changing, I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I may have answered that above.

I can think of two historical examples when things got moved around, but neither had an interruption of the continuous cycle of the seven days. Just for fun, I'll share them anyways.

One example would be Constantine switching things around on the Roman calendar, moving Sunday to the first column -- to better emphasize the Sun, of course. But I don't think anything was changed other than the format of the calendars. The week continued to flow uninterrupted, moving from one day to the next.

Another example would be when Pope Gregory 13th managed to "update" the Julian calendar, jumping ahead ten days (and thus skipping those ten days). I believe the transition worked like this: the last day of the Julian calendar was Thursday the 4th, and the first day of the new Gregorian calendar was Friday the 15th. But you would be right that, again, the flow of the week was uninterrupted.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Q

Royce wrote:
HMMMM, Ok I know the Feasts are by the month but the day isnt. The seventh day could fall on any day number during the month but you will change some weeks if you continuously switch them around and some will not have the correct amount of days. If I am following you (kinda tired but will sit down and read it good later) OK say you get to the end of a month and your havent had a Sabbath for that week but then you start over you will go more than seven days with no Sabbath.
OK I just read the thing about the calender and it seems you agree with me there so maybe I need to come back and read this later after I get some rest. Talk to you later Q.

Quester wrote:
In response to "OK say you get to the end of a month and your havent had a Sabbath for that week but then you start over you will go more than seven days with no Sabbath":

That's right.

According to how I understand the "Torah calendar," the Sabbath-every-seven-days cycle never repeats itself for more than four weeks at a time. There's always a one or two day interruption between that four-week cycle, due to the one or two days related to the New Moon.

So, if you are really big on NOT interrupting the continuous seven-day cycle, you won't like the "Torah calendar."

Which is fine, because I've never seen one printed in (the back of) a bible, so it may not even be that important.
(just kidding, of course)

Q

Edit: that was my last response (in this thread) to the calendar stuff.
Back to saying "hello" to people...

Offline BiynaYahu  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 2:40:35 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Why do the weeks and month's need to line up like that. As far as I understand, the month starts on a new moon, but scripture never says that a week starts the day after the new moon. The new moons and the sabbath are two separate systems which teach something different each, and the weeks don't need to be interpolated to the month. Though, I'm not an expert on scripture. So, prove me wrong. :)
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:20:43 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
My problem with the lunar Sabbath idea, is that is doens't seem to fit with

Exodus 20:8-10 wrote:
Remember (zakar — recall, recognize, mark, memorialize, mention, proclaim, and be earnestly mindful of) that the Sabbath (shabat — the seventh day, the time of observance, of rest to reflect on God’s promise to settle our debts so we could settle with Him on the seventh) day (yowm) is set apart (qadash — is separated unto God for purifying and cleansing and thus special). Six (shesh) days you shall work (‘abad — labor) and do (‘asah — prepare and produce, fashion and finish, advance, assign, and accomplish, institute and celebrate) all (kol — the entirety of) your service of representing the Messenger and proclaiming the message (mala’kah — your Godly duties and heavenly labor).But (wa) the seventh (shaby’y — solemn promise which fulfills and satisfies those who listen and are observant of the role of the seventh) day (yowm), the Sabbath (shabat — the seventh day, the time of observance, of rest and reflection, and of ceasing and desisting from ordinary labor to consider the promise to settle all disputes and settle down) of Yahuweh (YHWH) your God (‘elohym), you shall not do (lo’ ‘asah — not prepare or produce, fashion or finish, advance, assign, or accomplish) any part of (kol) the work of God’s Representative and Messenger (mala’kah — from mal’ak, the ministry and mission of the heavenly envoy, the Divine endeavors and labor of God’s corporeal manifestation) yourself (‘atah), nor your son (ben), your daughter (bat), your servants and employees (‘ebed / ‘amah), your means of production (behemah — animals and beasts of burden), and those visitors (ger - foreigners) who relationally (‘asher) are in (ba) your home, property, or community (sa’ar — area enclosed by a door or gate, a household, assembly, city, or nation).

Yahuweh's instructions was to work for six days and then on the seventh to rest, under the lunar Sabbath system, it is possible for more than six days of work before resting.

The instruction being stated as Six days you work and then on the Seventh you rest, strongly implies, in my opinion emphatically implies, that the Sabbath is every seven days, not being reset by the new month.

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:23:21 AM(UTC)
James
Man

edited my post, and made it disappear, so this will bring it back.

Offline cgb2  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 5:42:54 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yeah, that Lunar Sabbath thing just doesn't fit the Scripture for entering His rest every 7th day. Rediculous that any M-F employer would work with one on that too, and so you get fired to "not be in sin" . I'm curious what was going on during the time of Yahushua, because He sure didn't contend with day Sabbath kept. I imagine one could find records from then on too.

He created all that there is in 6 days and rested on the 7th...but because the month moon cycles doesn't fit being divisible by 7, a day(s) must be added here and there :^)
Offline danshelper  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 9:35:23 AM(UTC)
danshelper

A couple of encylopedic references -

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Hebrew_religion
Quote:
We note (a) that in the worship of Yahweh the sacred seasons of new moon and Sabbath are obviously lunar.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=13&letter=S
Quote:
Probable Lunar Origin
The Sabbath depending, in Israel's nomadic period, upon the observation of the phases of the moon, it could not, according to this view, be a fixed day. When the Israelites settled in the land and became farmers, their new life would have made it desirable that the Sabbath should come at regular intervals, and the desired change would have been made all the more easily as they had abandoned the lunar religion.

I really dislike the Jewish Encylopedia. Many things I've read there twist the truth to make it seem like the worship of YHWH was part of idolatrous lunar religion. But it seems quite clear that originally, the Sabbath was based on the moon/month cycle and the count was reset at the beginning of the month.

The Jericho march is interesting. Some believe that the only way it could not be a violation of the Sabbath is if the march began on the first day of the month. Although commerce was restricted on this day (Amos 8:5), travel was not (Proverbs 7:20, Ezra 7:9). Scripture doesn't say what day the Jericho march began, but the book of Jasher says it was the first day of the month.
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 9:48:05 AM(UTC)
James
Man

danshelper wrote:
But it seems quite clear that originally, the Sabbath was based on the moon/month cycle and the count was reset at the beginning of the month.

How is this clear?

Offline danshelper  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 11:57:51 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Please forgive me James. I didn't mean to offend and I should've qualified my statement. Based on my research and studing so far, it seems clear to me that the Sabbath was orginally tied to the moon cycle.

I also see the Sabbath as one of YHWH's appointed times (Leviticus 23) and my understanding from Scripture right now is that YHWH made the moon for (to govern/guide) His appointed times (Genesis 1:14, Psalm 104:19).

This is just how I see it right now - at this point in my studying. I know this is a highly debated and divisive issue and I truly did not mean to offend you or anyone.

I know that my understanding is not shared by many or most. I see YHWH's Sabbath as lunar based and I see YHWH's first/beginning (echad/rosh) of the month as the full moon. Thank you for all your research and knowledge and all the ways that you share it on this site.
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 12:56:40 PM(UTC)
James
Man

I wasn't offended in the slightest, I just didn't see how your statement linked to it being clear, I read you statement as saying that a source you dislike showed it as being linked to the lunar cycle, and then you said it was clear that it was, and I was a bit confused. I was just in a hurry and didn't make my post very descriptive.

I still don't see how to square the lunar Sabbath with Yahuweh's instructions.

Offline Quester  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 1:36:44 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

James wrote:
My problem with the lunar Sabbath idea, is that is doens't seem to fit with [... Exodus 20:8-10...]

Yahuweh's instructions was to work for six days and then on the seventh to rest, under the lunar Sabbath system, it is possible for more than six days of work before resting.

The instruction being stated as Six days you work and then on the Seventh you rest, strongly implies, in my opinion emphatically implies, that the Sabbath is every seven days, not being reset by the new month.

Hi James,

Here's my response:

(1) No, under the lunar Sabbath system, it is not possible to work more than six days (in a row) before resting. But it is possible to not work for more than just one day (up to two or three days in a row) between working. This is because New Moon days do not allow for most forms of what we would call "working." They aren't quite as restrictive as Sabbath days, but they are close.

(2) Yahuwah's instruction (Exodus 20:8-10) you quoted (in your original post -- not shown in detail above) emphatically states that you can't work more than six days in a row without resting, but does it really "emphatically imply" that rest must come on a continuous seven-day cycle, forever and with no interruptions ever?

Without any other scriptures to help us in interpreting this commandment, it would be a natural conclusion that we should just follow a continuous seven-day cycle. But there are other scriptures (and commandments) talking about the New Moon Day as a separate category of day from the Sabbath (with its own set of rules to follow that are somewhat different from the Sabbath).

Furthermore, there are festivals during which working is most certainly not the normative activity, and which are celebrated during what would have been work days on the "continuous seven-day cycle" that you are promoting. So where do festivals fit into your analysis? Obviously, they are an exception to your interpretation of your quoted passage! So why not also another exception?

I would thus read the quoted Exodus passage as referring to the four seven-day weekly cycles that always occur in-a-row, within each month (bookended by New Moon Days), but take it no further than that.

In a twelve-month year, there are 48 of those weekly (seven-day-duration) cycles. In a thirteen-month year, there are 50. And if New Moon Days roughly alternate between one and two each month (which is accurate enough a statement for this simple mathematical calculation), then in a twelve-month year, we have 18 New Moon Days total. In a thirteen-month year, we have 19 or 20. Why not just 12 or 13, one for each month, you ask? Because of the "New Moon Rebuilding Days" as I call them, which are added to the end of the month when needed (which is roughly every-other month), while waiting for the moon to "rebuild" itself into new again.

So, out of the twelve-month year, only 5% of the days are going to be New Moon Days. Out of the thirteen-month year, about 5.5%. With that in mind, it's not too big a stretch to read the quoted Exodus passage as still applying most all of the time (~95%), and without feeling the need for a qualification... before being willing to accept the possibility of an unmentioned third type of day.

Bottom line is, we have to make sense of the New Moon Day commandments one way or another. I've chosen the way that makes the most sense (to me). In your analysis, you haven't dealt with them at all -- unless you've simply thrown them out, or included them as work days. Which brings me to my third point.

(3) If we want to make New Moon Days into work days, thus making the first day of each month both a work day and a New Moon Day, that doesn't work, because it would violate the commandments regarding New Moon Days. I suggest you read them. Maybe you could also post up a good expanded translation (like you did for the Exodus passage) of each instance in which New Moon Day is mentioned?? Since your stated hobby is "translating Torah," and mine is most decidedly not, I for one would appreciate that service!!

Bottom line here is: we're stuck with a stand-alone, special day that is in addition to work days and Sabbath days. Where do we put such a day on the calendar? I put it on the right column, since it's more similar to a Sabbath than a regular work day. It helps me to visualize the working that I'll do (on the left six-sevenths of the month), and the resting that I'll do (on the right one-seventh).

Q

Edit: I realise that a long argument (like I just gave above) that is complete contradictory, can easily be read as being hostile. I did not intend that "voice." If it came across that way, please insert more of a casual, happy voice.
Offline Quester  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 2:14:02 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

BiynaYahu wrote:
Why do the weeks and month's need to line up like that. As far as I understand, the month starts on a new moon, but scripture never says that a week starts the day after the new moon. The new moons and the sabbath are two separate systems which teach something different each, and the weeks don't need to be interpolated to the month. Though, I'm not an expert on scripture. So, prove me wrong. :)

Hi BiynaYahu,

To answer your questions / comments:

(1) They don't need to line up like that. As I explained in my response to James (one post previous), I simply order the calendar that way to help me visualize the type of day I'm looking at. So, New Moon Days go to the right with Sabbaths, since they're similar.

(2) Glad you agree the month starts on a New Moon. But scripture also never says that a week doesn't start the day after the New Moon. The conclusion comes from a little thinking and tinkering, using the various "clues" that scripture gives us to work out a calendar on paper that fulfills all the requirements and inferences and story time-lines.

As I wrote in my earlier posts to Royce (to be seen in the second post of this thread), part of the reasoning for starting the first work day after the New Moon Day, is that the Sabbaths line up with the numbers (in various stories) that way. It's a process of deductive reasoning, putting the calendar together in the way that I did. Like I said earlier, there's no chapter that clearly spells the whole thing out.

(3) If "the new moons and the sabbath are two separate systems, which teach something different each," as you stated, then why are they both commanded within the same body of law (Mosaic Law) to be observed by the same people group, simultaneously? Kinda seems like they go together in the same system, to me.

(If you meant something else by your statement, then please clarify.)

(4) The weeks are interpolated to the month (that is, inserted after the New Moon Day is observed) because they have to fit somewhere. Again, it was a process of deductive reasoning -- that is, a process that was based on reason and the logical analysis of available facts. "Available facts" being the key phrase there.

(5) Is the burden of proof really on me? Well, if so, then I've fairly well proved you wrong already.

If you are looking for scripture that emphatically states "Quester's calendar drawing is correct," then I kindly ask you to turn to the second book of Hezekiah, chapter 44, verse 27. You'll find the statement there. Of course, you'll need to have the correct cannon of scripture, before you'll be able to find that verse. Which is another topic! (just kidding)

If you're looking for real scriptures, try doing a New Moon Day search, then read what you find. Then get back to us with your findings.

Q
Offline Quester  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 2:27:41 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

cgb2 wrote:
Yeah, that Lunar Sabbath thing just doesn't fit the Scripture for entering His rest every 7th day. Rediculous that any M-F employer would work with one on that too, and so you get fired to "not be in sin" . I'm curious what was going on during the time of Yahushua, because He sure didn't contend with day Sabbath kept. I imagine one could find records from then on too.

He created all that there is in 6 days and rested on the 7th...but because the month moon cycles doesn't fit being divisible by 7, a day(s) must be added here and there :^)

Hi cgb2,

If you are advocating the continuous seven-day cycle, then when do you observe the New Moon Days? By looking only at the one Exodus passage, you aren't "interpreting scripture with scripture," as they say. I won't say any more on this point, as you can read what I've already just written (in my previous posts).

You're right that it would be ridiculous ("invite mockery") to ask an employer to work with such a "rotating" schedule of days off. But is it any less absurd to take all the weeks of vacation necessary to celebrate the festivals? Most everyone in the USA probably doesn't get enough vacation time, as it is. Better move to Europe! Or start your own business. Then you can celebrate "noon" with a siesta, if you want.

Excellent point about Yahushua not contending with the Sabbath that was kept at the time. There are records of what calendar was being followed at that time. Basically (from my research), I found that the calendar of the time.... was the same as what I am explaining here (which was a huge evidence to me). Of course, the Roman occupiers were using their own (different) calendar, but the Hebrews were apparently using the one, and then possibly a second one also (that was slightly different). You can be sure Yahushua was following the correct one, if in fact there were two slightly different ones in use.

All the really big changes to the calendar came later -- probably not until after 1000 A.D. And the modern Israeli calendar is not the same as the ancient Hebrew calendar. So it would be a mistake to follow the Rabbinical Judaism calendar of modern Israel (with its continuous seven-day cycle), thinking we are correctly following the "Torah calendar" of the ancient Hebrews.

Lots of evidence, easy to find. More fun if you find it yourself, than if I give you all the clues on where to look. So moving on to the next post...

Q
Offline Quester  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 2:57:16 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

danshelper wrote:
A couple of encylopedic references

Hi danshelper,

Thanks for posting the encyclopaedia quotes. There are many more out there, to be found.

danshelper wrote:
But it seems quite clear that originally, the Sabbath was based on the moon/month cycle and the count was reset at the beginning of the month.

You are right! It is quite clear -- to anyone that does the research, at least.

The few references you provided are a start (and not entirely convincing on their own, as James pointed out), but there are many others that are much more "undeniable, definitive, and extraordinarily clear" in telling us that the ancient Hebrews followed a calendar that was based on the lunar cycle, etc. OK, I'll give one hint: Josephus. OK, another: the Jewish Encyclopaedia has many more references (at least older versions of it).

I think the reason people have such a knee-jerk reaction to new information ("no, that can't be right!"), is the pride that makes us all want to be right. It's really very unsettling to find out that we are wrong, yet again, about another important topic. It's more comfortable to be somewhat close-minded and fairly-well-convinced that we are right on most everything that we believe. (This is not a poke at anyone specifically, just an observation.)

It's always been interesting to me, reading forums and seeing the "psychology" of people at work. Some people are easily offended, others are always afraid that they've offended somebody, some are too sharp with their words, others are afraid to make their point clearly. It's all the types of people in the world.

danshelper wrote:
The Jericho march is interesting. Some believe that the only way it could not be a violation of the Sabbath is if the march began on the first day of the month. Although commerce was restricted on this day (Amos 8:5), travel was not (Proverbs 7:20, Ezra 7:9). Scripture doesn't say what day the Jericho march began, but the book of Jasher says it was the first day of the month.

Good point, danshelper. This is one of the stories I was thinking of (in a previous post) as needing to be "fulfilled," in the process of working out the calendar.

What calendar, other than the one I proposed, can allow for the marching men to not be in violation of the Sabbath at some point during their march? (I know you know the answer, but the others haven't discovered it yet!)

Q
Offline BiynaYahu  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:09:30 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Quester wrote:
(3) If "the new moons and the sabbath are two separate systems, which teach something different each," as you stated, then why are they both commanded within the same body of law (Mosaic Law) to be observed by the same people group, simultaneously? Kinda seems like they go together in the same system, to me.

What I meant by this is... Why can't the New moon day fall on the third day of the week, the fifth or even the sabbath? I didn't mean that the new moon days and Sabbaths were FROM two different religious systems, but simply that they operate PHYSICALLY as two different systems. I mean festival days and Sabbaths are talked about in relation to each other in scripture. When a sabbath falls on a non-work day of a festival you have what they call a high Sabbath. So, my assumption would be that a new moon day is like a festival. So, if it falls on a Sabbath it's now a more important Sabbath than before in that it's teaching two things simultaneously. Finally... Yes, the burden of proof always falls on the one trying to prove a point. I didn't come up to you and say, "Hey, I hear you celebrate a lunar Sabbath, I'm going to prove you wrong." You came here and said, "I think the Sabbath is lunar, and should be based on the phases of the moon." So, you do have burden of proof.
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline Quester  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:19:11 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

danshelper wrote:
I also see the Sabbath as one of YHWH's appointed times (Leviticus 23) and my understanding from Scripture right now is that YHWH made the moon for (to govern/guide) His appointed times (Genesis 1:14, Psalm 104:19).

Agreed.

danshelper wrote:
I know that my understanding is not shared by many or most. I see YHWH's Sabbath as lunar based and I see YHWH's first/beginning (echad/rosh) of the month as the full moon. Thank you for all your research and knowledge and all the ways that you share it on this site.

That's interesting with your point about the full moon being the beginning of the month. Certainly, that is a debated issue (New Moon vs. Full Moon). For me a word study on what "New Moon" meant was the clincher, of why not to start the lunar month with the Full Moon.

Good job on your research! It's kinda sad that we have to work so hard to recover all this "lost" information. Would have been nice if our parents had just taught us this stuff growing up. =)

Q
Offline James  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:58:36 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Quester wrote:
(1) No, under the lunar Sabbath system, it is not possible to work more than six days (in a row) before resting. But it is possible to not work for more than just one day (up to two or three days in a row) between working. This is because New Moon days do not allow for most forms of what we would call "working." They aren't quite as restrictive as Sabbath days, but they are close.

My point was the instruction for the Sabbath was 6+1. There is no reference in the instruction to reset it at the beginning of the month. Everything about the Sabbath instruction relates to 6+1, the Sabbath is every Seventh day. Nowhere, that I am aware of, does it even hint at resetting the count every month.
Exodus wrote:
Remember that the Sabbath day is set apart for purifying and cleansing and is thus special. Six days you shall work and do everything regarding your service of representing the Messenger and proclaiming the message. But on the solemn promise of the seventh day, the Sabbath of Yahuweh your God, you shall not do any part of the work of God’s Representative and Messenger yourself, nor your son, your daughter, your servants and employees, your means of production, nor those visitors who relationally are in your home, property, or community. For indeed, in six days Yahuweh made the heavens and the earth, and the seas, and all which is in them. And He became completely settled during the seventh day. Therefore Yahuweh blessed and adored, knelt down and lowered Himself to greet those He had created and lifted them up on the Sabbath day, setting it apart, dedicating it to separation, cleansing, and purifying.

Quester wrote:
(2) Yahuwah's instruction (Exodus 20:8-10) you quoted (in your original post -- not shown in detail above) emphatically states that you can't work more than six days in a row without resting, but does it really "emphatically imply" that rest must come on a continuous seven-day cycle, forever and with no interruptions ever?

No it doesn’t but there is also nothing stating or implying that it is based on moon cycles either. If Yahuweh was going to base it on a convoluted calendar in which weeks restart each month, he would have given specific instructions on it, the way he gave specific instruction for how and when to add an intercalary month.

Quester wrote:
Without any other scriptures to help us in interpreting this commandment, it would be a natural conclusion that we should just follow a continuous seven-day cycle. But there are other scriptures (and commandments) talking about the New Moon Day as a separate category of day from the Sabbath (with its own set of rules to follow that are somewhat different from the Sabbath).

Yes New moon days are separate from the Sabbath, but there is nothing to suggest that they effect and change the Sabbath, if you think they do, please cite them so that I can look at them.

Quester wrote:
Furthermore, there are festivals during which working is most certainly not the normative activity, and which are celebrated during what would have been work days on the "continuous seven-day cycle" that you are promoting. So where do festivals fit into your analysis? Obviously, they are an exception to your interpretation of your quoted passage! So why not also another exception?

The festivals are exactly what Yahuweh calls them, special Sabbaths. They are Sabbaths that are not the weekly Sabbath, but when work is ceased as well. I have no problem with exceptions, when Yahuweh institutes them. I have seen no Scripture that in any way implies that the weekly Sabbath is anything other than every Seventh day.

The Sabbath is another example of the 6+1 formula which appears over and over throughout Scripture, to base it on the lunar cycle destroys that formula by changing the 6.

Quester wrote:
I would thus read the quoted Exodus passage as referring to the four seven-day weekly cycles that always occur in-a-row, within each month (bookended by New Moon Days), but take it no further than that.

I understand that you would take it that way, but I don’t understand why. I don’t see what Scripture you are using to base that on.

Quester wrote:
In a twelve-month year, there are 48 of those weekly (seven-day-duration) cycles. In a thirteen-month year, there are 50. And if New Moon Days roughly alternate between one and two each month (which is accurate enough a statement for this simple mathematical calculation), then in a twelve-month year, we have 18 New Moon Days total. In a thirteen-month year, we have 19 or 20. Why not just 12 or 13, one for each month, you ask? Because of the "New Moon Rebuilding Days" as I call them, which are added to the end of the month when needed (which is roughly every-other month), while waiting for the moon to "rebuild" itself into new again.

So, out of the twelve-month year, only 5% of the days are going to be New Moon Days. Out of the thirteen-month year, about 5.5%. With that in mind, it's not too big a stretch to read the quoted Exodus passage as still applying most all of the time (~95%), and without feeling the need for a qualification... before being willing to accept the possibility of an unmentioned third type of day.

To me it is a huge stretch to dismiss the commandment 5% of the time, without specific instruction from Yahuweh.

Quester wrote:
Bottom line is, we have to make sense of the New Moon Day commandments one way or another. I've chosen the way that makes the most sense (to me). In your analysis, you haven't dealt with them at all -- unless you've simply thrown them out, or included them as work days. Which brings me to my third point.

(3) If we want to make New Moon Days into work days, thus making the first day of each month both a work day and a New Moon Day, that doesn't work, because it would violate the commandments regarding New Moon Days. I suggest you read them. Maybe you could also post up a good expanded translation (like you did for the Exodus passage) of each instance in which New Moon Day is mentioned?? Since your stated hobby is "translating Torah," and mine is most decidedly not, I for one would appreciate that service!!

Bottom line here is: we're stuck with a stand-alone, special day that is in addition to work days and Sabbath days. Where do we put such a day on the calendar? I put it on the right column, since it's more similar to a Sabbath than a regular work day. It helps me to visualize the working that I'll do (on the left six-sevenths of the month), and the resting that I'll do (on the right one-seventh).

After doing a quick search of verses pertaining to New Moon days, I have found nothing that states that it is a Sabbath or that we are to cease work for it, maybe I am missing something, but from what I have read the New Moon days are kept by:

Blowing a trumpet Numbers 10:10; Psalm 81:3
Presenting a burnt offering Number 28:11; 1Chronical 23:1
Bow in the presence of Yahuweh at the entrance to the gate Ezekiel 46:3
The gate of the inner court was to be open Ezekiel 46:1

Nowhere does Yahuweh or anyone say that the New Moon days are Sabbaths, or that we are to cease work on them.

The only verse I can find that comes close to suggesting that is Amos 8:5, which says “When will the new moon be over, that we may sell grain?” though this is easily disproved by the Dead Sea Scrolls which show that sell grain was not there, it should actually read “When will the new moon be over, that we may be satisfied?”
So if I missed a verse in Scripture that says that the new moon was to be a day to cease work, please point it out to me.

Quester wrote:
Edit: I realize that a long argument (like I just gave above) that is complete contradictory, can easily be read as being hostile. I did not intend that "voice." If it came across that way, please insert more of a casual, happy voice.

Don’t worry I didn’t take it any way other than you trying to explain your understanding; I understand that it is hard to give voice to written text.

Offline Royce  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:38:36 AM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Yes my understanding as well, the 6 + 1 cycle.
Offline Royce  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:46:41 AM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Quester wrote:
Hi James,

Here's my response:

My post earlier
Quote:
"OK say you get to the end of a month and your havent had a Sabbath for that week but then you start over you will go more than seven days with no Sabbath":

Questers response
Quote:
That's right.

Seems like these answers contradict one another dont they?
Offline Quester  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:45:10 AM(UTC)
Quester
Man

Quester wrote:
You are right! It is quite clear -- to anyone that does the research, at least.

First, an apology:

That was conversational terrorism.

I apologize for making such a statement.

I should have known better. My own research has not been comprehensive, and obviously anything I think I may have concluded is very debatable at best (just look at this thread -- almost everyone disagrees with the lunar-based Sabbath).

So, I retract that statement (quoted above).

Quester
Offline Quester  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:30:12 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

Second, an explanation (and further apology):

When I originally asked Royce about whether he followed a Saturday Sabbath or a lunar-based Sabbath, I really was just curious.

Quester wrote:
Hi Royce,

I'm curious, do you follow a Saturday Sabbath or a lunar-based Sabbath??

Then, a little later on, when I shared more of the (apparent) conclusions that my research had led me to, I was just sharing "in case it might help" him in his own research.

Quester wrote:
Hi Royce,

I'll just share a bit of what I've learned about the lunar calendar, in case it might help you in your own research.

Notice both of those quotes are the first sentences of what I wrote.

But seeing as how this has become such a big topic, and seeing as how I've managed to get myself into a position of having to defend my (current) interpretation of the "lunar calendar," here comes a further apology:

I apologize to all for starting something which I do not intend to finish.

Yes, I realise that I've written a whole bunch of posts (on this topic) already, and have put my foot in my mouth more than once. But, no, I'm really not that interested in discussing this topic in great detail. Or trying to find all of the encyclopaedic historical references that I read during my research of lunar calendars, which were so instrumental in forming my (current) conclusions.

Yes, I realise that I most-definitely did slip into an attitude of debating the point (and defending the calendar drawing I had made), rather than just sharing "here's one option for what the lunar-based Sabbath might look like." And, yes, Biyna Yahu, was therefore correct that I had indeed assumed the burden of proof, by trying to prove a point. But looking back, I see my attitude as a mistake, and rather wish I had kept more perspective as I wrote -- not that any of you would have responded differently to the ideas!!

What's funny to me is that I must have some "latent" attitude problem, as I do sometimes get into arguments (or debates), without realising what I'm doing, until someone points it out to me. So, now you all know a little bit about me (personally)!!

So, to summarize, there are many good points you have all made, that I should still respond to specifically. Just from the scriptures so far quoted in the discussion, my calendar drawing doesn't seem to have any historical basis.

But I'm not really wanting to engage on this topic any more -- especially since to defend the ideas any further, I will have to go dig up my old research, which I may not even be able to find (=not fun)...

You're saying "where's the proof," and I'm saying, "I don't want to talk about it anymore." Which is why I apologize -- because that sounds like a lame cop-out.

In the future I will be more careful to not start defending a point, unless I'm prepared to actually defend it (and back up my statements with evidence).

Thanks all for your feedback.

Quester
Offline Quester  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:37:02 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

Quester wrote:
What calendar, other than the one I proposed, can allow for the marching men to not be in violation of the Sabbath at some point during their march? (I know you know the answer, but the others haven't discovered it yet!)

Third, another apology:

More conversational terrorism. Sorry!

It doesn't look good for me right now.

Q
Offline BiynaYahu  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:41:30 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Fair enough. :)
Offline Quester  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:50:39 PM(UTC)
Quester
Man

Fourth, to help me understand better where you are all coming from (before I respond to any more of the posts):

Please answer these questions:

(1) Do you think the Gregorian calendar is "OK" to use, so long as the Sabbath is observed on Saturdays (every seventh day)?
(2) Do you see any indication that the ancient Hebrews based their calendar on the cycles of the moon, beyond doing a couple specific things on the New Moon Day?
(3) Do you think the Sabbath day is basically totally-disconnected from the cycles of the moon?
(4) Do you think the rabbinical modern-Israel calendar is "OK" to use, or even better to use than the Gregorian calendar?
(5) Do you think the Feasts are basically totally-disconnected from the cycles of the moon?
(6) Do you think the cycles of the moon have anything to do with anything calendrical?

I've realized that it's much wiser to ask questions (especially at this point in the discussion), than to go on talking...

Quester
Offline James  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:30:29 AM(UTC)
James
Man

First let me say Quester you really have nothing to apologies for, at least as far as I can see. This has been nothing more than an intellectual conversation between friends who happen to differ on an issue. As far as I have seen no one has taken anything personal, and nothing was meant to be personal attacks. It’s been a discussion and only a debate in the most positive sense of the word, a point counter point discussion. I personally didn’t notice an attitude coming from anyone; if there was one coming from me I assure you it was entirely unintentional (part of text based discussions is you don’t get to hear the tone of people’s voice)

If you aren’t interested in continuing that’s fine, we can agree to disagree, as far as I can tell we are both interested in the same thing, following Yahuweh’s instruction, we just differ on how best to do that. We can ask him what the right way was when we get to meet him.

As for your questions:
Quester wrote:
(1) Do you think the Gregorian calendar is "OK" to use, so long as the Sabbath is observed on Saturdays (every seventh day)?

Just speaking for myself, it depends on what you mean by use it. It is impossible to not use it in our society, try telling your boss you want the 15th of Abib off and see what reaction you get. Yahuweh’s feast and celebratory days should not be adapted to the Gregorian calendar, i.e. Easter or Christmas, which is why they float around the Gregorian calendar. For example Kippruym started on Sept. 19th this yeat, but will be Oct. 7th next year.

Quester wrote:
(2) Do you see any indication that the ancient Hebrews based their calendar on the cycles of the moon, beyond doing a couple specific things on the New Moon Day?

The ancient Hebrew’s like most people of that time had a lunar calendar; it was the only efficient way to synchronize time in a society without mass communication, every new moon was a new month, and the Torah tells exactly how to know when to insert an intercalary month, so as to keep the seasons in line.

Quester wrote:
(3) Do you think the Sabbath day is basically totally-disconnected from the cycles of the moon?

I have seen nothing to show it that they are connected, so yes.

Quester wrote:
(4) Do you think the rabbinical modern-Israel calendar is "OK" to use, or even better to use than the Gregorian calendar?

NO, and NO. In my opinion most everything rabbinical is just as wrong as most everything Christian.

Quester wrote:
(5) Do you think the Feasts are basically totally-disconnected from the cycles of the moon?

Since the Feasts are tied to months, and months are tied to the moon cycle, yes they are connected to the moon cycle.

Quester wrote:
(6) Do you think the cycles of the moon have anything to do with anything calendrical?

Yes, the Scriptural calendar is lunar based, so it is completely tied to the lunar cycle.

Offline BiynaYahu  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:26:40 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

I think most of those who are regulars on this board would agree with the answers James gave here.
Offline James  
#27 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:41:39 AM(UTC)
James
Man

never got any responses and it feel through the cracks. So I'm going to bring it to the front and see if it catches anyones attention.

Offline MadDog  
#28 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 12:27:28 PM(UTC)
MadDog
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Rather interesting video discussing the 10 commandments, specifically the Sabbath.
I like Mike but I don't think him or any other "preacher" will ever admit that they might
just be wrong about Christainity or rabbi for that matter about Judaism.

I think what both speakers are missing is the point that "men" changed the commandments,
not Yahweh.

Huckabee Responds to Alan Dershowitz's Challenge:

http://video.foxnews.com...lenge/?playlist_id=87937