logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 6:48:26 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I've been studying the book of Revelation and came to chapter 14 and the reference to 144,000 and was unclear if this was the same or a different 144,000 as was mentioned in chapter 7. I noticed that commentaries are divided on the question and was curious what YY forum members make of this and if I missed KPs take in FH?

Thank you,

-Theophilus
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 5:14:33 PM(UTC)
kp

There's no reason for God to repeat Himself. The passages are complementary. Different information is being given about the same group, and their number is the primary clue that the same people are being described. Chapter 7 is about their sealing and their biological identity. Chapter 14 outlines their character and the outcome of their having been sealed: note that they all survive until the coming of the Messiah. And the fact that they are in Jerusalem when Yahshua arrives is strong circumstantial evidence that they are Israelites, for the 42 months in which the "holy city will have been trodden down by gentiles" will have ended (if my timeline is correct) about three weeks before this.

kp