logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline danshelper  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 9:37:41 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Is the "new moon" a consequence of being given over to worship the host of heaven?
(I'm studying chodesh and would appreciate your Spirit given insight.)

Why does YHWH never use or authorize the use of chodesh as “new moon” in the first 5 books?
Why is “chodesh” always translated as “month” in the first 5 books?
Why does YHWH use chodesh as “new moon” to condemn all present (at the time written) “new moon” celebrations and why does He only use chodesh/new moon in an approving way when referring to future temple/kingdom worship?

Why is the term “first” or “beginnings” used exclusively in the first 5 books to designate the first day of the month? Why did this change to “new moon”?

first 259; echad – one
first 7223; rishon – from rosh; former, first, chief
beginnings 7218; rosh – head; From an unused root apparently meaning to shake; the head (as most easily shaken); first, top, beginning, chief
(What phase of the moon most resembles a head?)

In the first 5 books, was YHWH purposefully identifying the true head of the month in order to negate the idolatrous teachings from which Israel had been delivered?

Quote:
God’s creation of light on day one before the creation of the luminaries on day four forms a polemic against Atum-Re, the sun god. This shows that the source of light does not originate with the sun or the moon (i.e. Re, the sun-god or Thoth, the moon-god), but with the Hebrew God who is distinct from the light and the creation.

Another polemical element is found in the fact that the author does not name the sun and the moon. He simply refers to them as the ‘greater light’ and the ‘lesser light.’ If he intended to merely demythologize the luminaries, he could have used the Hebrew shemesh ‘sun’ and yereach ‘moon.’ By not naming the sun and the moon, he further distances them from the deities attributed to them in Egypt.

The polemical elements in the Genesis creation accounts imply that the author saw a need for his audience to understand that Yahweh, and not the Egyptian gods, is the one true God and Creator of the world. For example, a major component of the Exodus narrative concerns the battle between Yahweh, and the Egyptian gods (Pharaoh himself being the sun-god incarnate). In the context of the slaying of the first-born in Egypt Yahweh declares in Exodus 12:12, “against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments.” http://bible.org/article/genesis-1-2-light-ancient-egyptian-creation-myths

Why would YHWH use a crescent moon – the quintessential symbol of idolatrous moon-god worship and occultism since ancient times – as a beacon/light (Genesis 1:14) to His set apart appointments? Would this not be mixing darkness with light? Isn’t this confusing?

All the ancient peoples worshipped the "host of heaven." Following are quotes from the book, The Crescent and the Bull, by Erich Zehren.

Quote:
“Nearly all earthly cults of the Near East represent old, sometimes very ancient, ideas of heavenly events concerning the moon and Venus.” (pg.114)

“The golden calf must therefore have been known and worshipped by Abraham’s forebears in Ur. Five hundred years later it was still worshipped by the children of Israel on Mount Sinai.” (pg. 127)

“Furthermore, innumerable traces of a lunar cult have been found in Europe. They still survive in certain rural habits, satirical ballads, fairy-tales and superstitions. Such evidence constitutes the strongest link between Europe and Canaan, as well as the whole Near East. The bleeding moon is familiar throughout both areas, together with its connection with death, skeletons, horns, ships, fingers, teeth and worms.” (pg. 197)

Why did the Israelites fashion a golden calf and why did Aaron say that the golden calf brought them out of Egypt? Were they accrediting the Egyptian moon god, symbolized by the calf with the “horns” of the waxing crescent moon? If the Passover had been on a full moon, would the Egyptians have immediately followed the Israelites during the waning phase or would they have waited for the propitious waxing crescent?

Quote:
Adonis Attis Osiris: Studies in the History of Oriental Religion, by James George Frazer - www.forgottenbooks.org
pg. 140-141 “... the doctrine of lunar sympathy applied also to the affairs of man ... The natural fact on which all the customs in question seem to rest is the apparent monthly increase and decrease of the moon. From this observation men have inferred that all things simultaneously wax or wane in sympathy with it. ... In this respect the Greeks were on a level with the negroes of the Sudan, among whom, if a march has been decided upon during the last quarter of the moon, the departure is always deferred until the first day of the new moon. No chief would dare to undertake an expedition and lead out his warriors before the appearance of the crescent."

Moon Lore, by Timothy Harley - www.forgottenbooks.org
pg. 156 "The increase and full growth and wane of that satellite are the emblems of a rising, flourishing and declining fortune. No business of importance is begun during the moon's wane"

The Crescent and the Bull, by Erich Zehren
Pg. 352 “It has more than once been suggested that the name Sinai is derived from that of the Babylonian moon-god Sin. So it appears natural enough that in the Bible narrative Mount Sinai, from which the Law was delivered, is closely connected with events concerning the Golden Calf. It was at this mountain, for instance, that the image was cast from gifts of gold contributed by the people. ‘And Aaron said unto the, Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, of your sons and of your daughters and bring them unto me. And all the people brake off the golden earrings which were in the ears and brought them unto Aaron. And he received them at their hand and fashioned it with a graving tool after he had made it a molten calf. And they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt’ (Exodus 32.)

In other words, the new light of the Crescent had guided the Israelites out of Egypt.”

Is the “new moon” a consequence of being given over to worship the host of heaven?

Quote:
Acts 7:41-43 “That was the time they made an idol in the form of a calf. They brought sacrifices to it and held a celebration in honor of what their hands had made. But God turned away and gave them over to the worship of the heavenly bodies. This agrees with what is written in the book of the prophets:

“‘Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings
forty years in the desert, O house of Israel?
You have lifted up the shrine of Molech
and the star of your god Rephan,
the idols you made to worship.
Therefore I will send you into exile beyond Babylon.’”

Science says the "new moon" is the dark moon at conjunction.
Religion says the "new moon" is the crescent.

If YHWH who is Light and in whom is no darkness gave us the "lesser light" of the moon (which when full is 1/7th the light of the sun) for the moed/appointments (Genesis 1, Psalm 104:19) ...

If the appointments show the way to the Messiah, the Light of the world, the way to be renewed and restored to our relationship with our Creator ...

If YHWH defines the beginning of the month as first, head, chief, top, etc. ...

If all nations have been given over to worship the host of heaven ...

Why would we not consider that the full moon is YHWH's head of the month?

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 10:43:43 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great post :)

Here are my thoughts.

Firstly on the 4th day, the luminaries were not created, they became visible. There is a difference there.

Yah dosen't use a crescent moon - the start of the month is just the new moon. a crescent moon is a good few days into the month, the new moon is really just a slither of light. it's also just a great way to designate time. You also have to "watch" for the new moon, it is quite elusive - which is why I believe we have to "look" for it on Trumpets - as that is about being alert and keeping watch. It's also harder to spot a full moon, where as the new moon is either there or it isnt. Full moon can seem like a day before or a day after as sometimes it looks full

Passover always falls on a full moon - make of that what you will, coz I don't really know - light in the darkness springs to mind but I have not really thought about it that much :)

So no - I think the new moon is the start of the month - many religions take on the moon in some form or another... what do we do about all the religions that worship the full moon? Hinduism does as well as I think Feng Shui, it's not just the smaller moon phases, actually I think more worship the full moon than the crescent.

If it is translated as both first or beginnings and then as new moon later on but is the same word - you will probably find that it is just inconstancy in translation, but that would have to be verified lol
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline danshelper  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:35:31 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Thanks for your response Rob.

I used the KJV because of it's indexing to Strongs, to print out all Scriptures using chodesh. I'm doing the same with the other words used for moon and month.

There is another obscure reference to "new moon" that I find very unsettling, although the source uses a different word: unsuitable.

Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics, Volume 12, page 80, under SUN, MOON and STARS (Hebrew):
http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:LCCN08035833&pg=PA80&id=UD8TAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false
(bottom right corner of page)

Quote:
"Other planets are mentioned more incidentally. Thus, in all probability, Venus as the Morning Star is referred to in Isaiah 14:12 under the name helel, or helal (lit. 'the glittering one'), though it should be mentioned that some expositors have seen in the term an Arabic name for the moon (hilal). W. Lotz (PRE, s.v. 'Sterne') indeed argues that the Arabic word means "new moon", which would be unsuitable;

pg. 81 continues

but, according to Zimmern and Buhl's edition of Gesenius's Lexicon (Handworterbuch, 1905) it can denote the old moon as crescent. Further, in Amos 5:26 we probably have an allusion to Saturn (sikkuth, sakkuth, sakkut; and kiyyun, kevan, kaivanu)."

Yes, wouldn't it be most unsuitable, incovenient, inappropriate, untidy ....

If the "new moon" was associated with helel, Venus, Lucifer, the king of Babylon, Ashtoreth, Astarte, Asherah, Queen of Heaven, Mystery Babylon, the great whore, Baal, Satan, Allah, etc.

Then, since ancient times all our calendars would be "guided" by the idolatrous abominations and we would be mixing truth/light - YHWH's set apart times - with lies/darkness, the false beginning of the month. The "golden cup" full of abominations that MYSTERY BABYLON (Rev. 17) holds is also a symbol of the crescent moon.

Why would we think that YHWH's chosen people, the nation Israel, has the right calendar? Saturday sabbath is the idolatry of Amos 5:26, is it not? The Sabbath, as the first of YHWH's set apart times in Leviticus 23, is determined by the head of the month as all the appointments, is it not? I know this is a whole different discussion, but just why would we think that the calendar we use, based on a "new moon" isn't corrupted??

Int. Standard Bible Encylopedia, under Astrology:
II. THE WORSHIP OF THE HEAVENLY BODIES THE FORM OF IDOLATRY TO WHICH THE ISRAELITES WERE MOST PRONE

1. Chiun, Certainly the Planet Saturn
2. Saturn or Moloch Worship
3. Mazzaloth, or Planet Worship
4. Gadh and Meni or Star Worship
5. Lucifer, the Shining Star

Thanks Rob, for thinking this through with me.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:59:54 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I think the issue I have is that Yah made them to be time pieces, and it is apparent that is what they made them for because of their clockwork like nature. The moon is the best way to gauge a month starting with the new moon, a slither of light visible in the early evening across the horizon of Jerusalem.

Arabic and Islam are very modern, they copy from Hebrew and Torah - talking the new moon is not surprising, as they also teach not to eat pigs - but does that instruction now become tainted for us? mixing light and darkness?

If we know Yahushua died at passover on 33CE then we can check the calendar out quite far back (by simply counting backwards in groups of 7 lol) and then through the other markers in History that KP talks about in FH. If we know when Yahushua died, we know when He was keeping the Sabbath and when the Feasts started - because we would know that Yah would not go with man's deception, He would just do it His own way with everyone else thinking He was mad around Him.

If the Calendar we have is incorrect then the Calendar Yahushua stuck to was incorrect to... and tbh that's enough evidence for me - I think if Yahushua was recorded as not observing a feast at the normal time, then there would be questions asked.

Unfortunatly man turns stuff into Gods, but that dosn't mean we have to throw everything out - because if we throw out the calendar we have now because of moon worship then we have nothing to date with and there is no way to work it out either. But if we accept that we have to stick to the things that Yah wants us to stick to, follow His instruction and not turn things into gods then we are fine.

Should we still celebrate Trumpets because the Jews celebrate the new year on it?

I think we have to be really careful not to go overboard with the whole pagan thing - if Yah was their first everything else is counterfeit, if something is created in place of Yah's instruction we also know it is counterfeit - basically we have to just stick to what He says :) It is more likely that the moon is such a good time piece that other cultures used it, and actually if they all came from common ancestors it would have been passed down through the families anyway.

Yah gives us them also to tell a story and yes I think the moon is a symbol for Satan anyway from what Yah said - but that does not mean it IS Satan, it is just a metaphor. Something that appears to be an object of light, but we know just reflects it and is really a ball of grey lol

So no - still I don't think it is incorrect, or wrong. The moon to us is just the moon, and nothing else, using it to start the month is just good time keeping - maybe KP could shed some more light on this too! :)
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:32:15 AM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
maybe KP could shed some more light on this too!

Okay, I guess I could wade in on this. I think the key to this whole discussion (and the angst these heavenly bodies seem to be causing) is perhaps best addressed by referring to the second commandment: (edited here) "You shall not make for yourselves an image of anything in the heavens." In other words, don't make a big deal out of something that isn't. Yahweh certainly never said He had created the heavenly luminaries to represent Himself or any other deity, real or imagined. Rather, He specifically told us that He made the heavenly bodies for several well-defined reasons: (1) to divide day from night (i.e., light from darkness---and we should bear in mind that division is a picture of holiness, separation, setting apart something for Yahweh's honor); (2) to mark signs and seasons, days and years; and (3) to provide light, particularly light upon the earth. Anything, then, that ventures beyond these purposes is idolatry, something to be studiously avoided.

It wasn't until just before the exodus that Yahweh instituted (by statute, anyway) the lunar calendar, beginning in Abib/Nisan. Perhaps the reason was that the Egyptians under which they had been held in bondage all those centuries not only worshipped their "sun god," Ra, but also that they kept a schematic solar calendar of 360 days (12 30-day months) with a five-day fudge factor at the end. Breaking the time-keeping tradition of their captors would serve as a living metaphor for their break with the world. Beyond that, Yahweh wished to give Israel a simple, low-tech way of keeping track of time, and observing the phases of the moon would do just that. As far as I know, the intercalary month, added seven years out of nineteen to keep the seasons in line, is never mentioned in scripture, but all early peoples using a lunar calendar (the Babylonians kept one, for instance, in addition to a schematic solar calendar) adjusted their years in precisely the same way, though not at the same time of year. (The Hebrews added their Veadar or Adar II just after Adar, the final month of their calendar, in late winter/early spring.)

A "month" is called a hodes or chodesh because the word is based on hadas/chadash---the word for new or fresh. It's a practical consideration: you can't accurately gauge the full moon by looking for a perfect circle in the sky, but you can spot that first new sliver of light. In case you were wondering, the word is not related to qodesh/qadash---holiness or consecration.

And here's something that will probably freak y'all out. I have read some very compelling evidence that the ancient Hebrews began their Sabbath cycles anew at the new moon. There is quite a bit of circumstantial evidence to suggest that they didn't just keep a running weekly cycle, as we do, but added a day or two as needed at the end of each month, starting the week over again at the new moon celebration. This, if true, means that practically nobody today who's trying to keep the Sabbath is doing it correctly. But Yahweh never specifically instructed that the structure of the week/month interface be kept one way or the other, which leads me to conclude that it isn't the actual Sabbath He was concerned about "keeping" at all, but rather what the Sabbath symbolically signified: our rest in the finished work of Yahweh on our behalf.

Anyway, just remember that there is nothing that Yahweh can institute, create, or command that satan can't try to usurp, deny, or obfuscate. He ain't called our adversary for nothing. There is nothing intrinsically evil about the moon or the sun, even though misguided fools worship them. They---and everything else Yahweh created---are there for our benefit, and we should thank Him for them as we would thank Him for any other gift.

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:53:31 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Thanks Ken - a fountain of knowledge as normal :)

Can you expand on or point to the evidence for the Sabbath reset. I know people who keep it this way although it seems illogical to me and I have not found anywhere that backs up a reset in Scripture, I understand that it is the idea behind the act that holds the significance but I still think that Yah probably would have said "At the new moon start counting 7 again" or something along those lines. He is always so specific. Plus if that were true the year 33CE might not be as accurate, because if Passover fell on the natural Sabbath, the rules of the reset would say it always falls on a natural Sabbath... mmmm
Offline Bridget  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:08:51 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't let this go without adding my thoughts. I almost wish I could....no, I DO wish I could post under a different name because you will all think me insane.

:D

I'm a woman, and every month....I go through cycles....they are physical, yes, but they are also much deeper..

These cycles are pretty constant....although, with our calendar, they change....but, if I pay attention to the moon cycles...eeesh, how do I say this? How do I explain it? If any woman is here reading this, and is aware of her body/mind as I am ....then You know, and perhaps you could explain better.

I'm not good at this.....and I'm REALLY NOT good at regurgitating (conveying) information that I know...

But, knowing and recognizing my own changes withIN..it makes it very easy for me to understand what Yah speaks of.

Perhaps it is different for every woman, but I've always been incredibly aware of the changes - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually...
and it's not always the 'same'.......(((oh, forgive me as I've a hard time explaining....)))

I guess my point is that we concentrate too much on physical days and times.....it's just not like that...but if we pay attention to the rhythms...we come to see that it's not hard at all to harmonize with them.

As for the physical moon in the sky....oh, this is tough....I have so much to say and no way to get it out there intelligently..........The physical seeing of the moon in the sky....It doesn't matter that much. We could live in a place that has full cloud coverage for months at a time.....the 'sight' of the moon...it doesn't make a damn.

But the cycles....the times...they are palpable...especially if you are a female and engage with these changes on a monthly basis......and take them seriously.

I look around me, and I see women who are seeking pain meds or time off of work because of the 'burden' of our cycles....
It makes me sad. The time of my cycle, yes, is a freakin' annoyance, but the power of insights, the judgements, etc, that come with this 'burden'??

No way I complain...

I see it as a blessing. And if you are a woman and you know of what I speak...the insights, the powerful intuitions, etc....there's just no mistake....
even in questioning things such as this....look within...it's there...

And here brings up my problem with Men being the ones who...somehow..have been given authority over Yah's words....(or so it seems)

I'll just sit back and blame the vatican. lol....yeah..that's the ticket. ...I'm kidding, but there are truth in my jokes...~ going to end this rant now. ~

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:28:52 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I like that Bridget, although being a man - I kinda get what you are saying, I think :D

you know every month it is going to happen, but sometimes it's not exactly on the same day - but you can feel it and so know anyway.

I see a lot of connection to that and the physicalness of the lunar observance of time, what I mean is there is still a need to "feel your way" for example with the start of the new year and the dancing barley - and whether or not the month starts depending if you see the new moon before sunset, especially at Trumpets... it's always going to happen around that time, but it does depend on the "sighting" rather than the clockwork almost clinical timekeeping side.

We always know when the new moon is going to happen thanks to previous observance, and with sciences tracking we can have it down to the second and elevation for the next 3000 years, but it's not about the science as to say, but more the watching, feeling - the chance of error or missing it or questioning whether or not it was there. Always that ebb and flow as to say..

Thanks for posting - it was very insightful :D
Offline Richard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:41:41 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Where do we establish the boundary between what is right/proper/acceptable and what is not? One group says to do it this way, another says to do it their way, and others claim it must be done to their own particular (peculiar?) specs. Like resetting the Sabbath or adding days to months or years.

I understand that there is much symbolism within the Torah and that Hebrew words can mean several different things. But I don't understand where someone decides, "Since it's the symbolism that counts, strictly obeying the commandment is not really necessary." Who makes that call? On what authority? Because I do not have a clue how to spot a new moon when it's overcast here - and it's overcast a LOT - am I to believe that I am damned or in some other way unacceptable?

If getting the time right is not really all that important, how far can we go in ignoring its strict observance? I mean, is it okay to be off by a day? Two days? Several? Who says?

Look at the feast of Shelters, for example. The actual command was to cut down leafy branches and use them to construct a temporary abode. Nowadays folks use a tent, or a camping ground lodge or cabin, or something else not remotely similar to a collection of leafy branches. Why? On whose authority?

I guess I'm showing my abysmal ignorance here, but my questions are asked seriously and respectfully. Missing the mark characterized the vast majority of my life before Yahushua brought me into His Truth: I don't want the rest of my life to be so incorrect.

Thank you in advance for your courteous and full answers.

Richard
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:02:52 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Firstly - for us in the good old Northern Hemisphere it is impossible to spot the new moon, as it is pretty much a crescent by the time we see it. The best place to really spot it is surprisingly... Jerusalem - the further south you are from Jerusalem the higher the new moon appears. Some places can see the new moon the day before you can in Jerusalem... lol

With that fact I kind of see that the clock for feasts should be set to Jerusalem time, it makes sense.

As for the acting out the Torah - it is something we can never do 100% completely, striving to do as much of it as possible because you love Yah I think is noble, but I think He would rather us understand it first... otherwise it's just another "act".

Not to pick on Israel - but I believe they are a Set Apart Nation given the burden of performing Torah to the rest of the world. If there is any set of people who should have been "doing" it, it was them for the simple fact of displaying the signs to the nations.

Now out of Israel and of course with the temple down - it's just impossible for me to keep Torah, but that dosen't mean we have to resign to the fact that we can't do any of it or learn from it.

I like to be as accurate as possible, especially on dates - for the simple reason I want to be as accurate as I can, or at least try haha. On everything else I like to make sure I understand, at least in part, why I am doing something before I do it.

For the symbolism counting over the acts thing - the problem is the symbolism is the majority of what is left. We no longer have access to the temple, and if we did there is no Levi Priesthood (that we can physically point out) and I am not blood Israelite (which I believe does make a difference - I have swung one way and the other on this, but at the moment am settled on there is a difference between Gentiles who respond and Israelites - but lets not get off topic lol).

So with all that stuff - lot's of Torah can not be kept, so it must be something deeper... Plus we know "works don't save a man"... Also people were being told off for not circumcising their hearts in Jeremiah... so I think that authority isn't really authority but more logical thought, We can't keep it, but we know it has a huge message... :D

For shelters, if I had leafy branches and somewhere outside to set them up, I think I would do that lol :D Inner city dwellings where the trees are quite sparse and not fast enough growing to give us a maintainable yearly "branches" - We have to do it inside with a bed sheet and some wool to hold up the corners... :S

In my personal opinion I think Yah is more interested in us gaining understanding and insight, and letting that change us inwardly, through the guidance of Mum, to become more upright whilst relying on Him to lift us up, instead of our own attempts at 100% strict observance. I could be wrong though!!
Offline danshelper  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:16:17 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Thanks to you all for weighing in on this topic.

Please understand that I'm not connecting observance of the phases of the moon with good or evil. What I'm suggesting is that the concept of "new moon" may be a result of Israel's continuous choice of the false gods of the nations rather than YHWH. The nation was given over - as we all are - to what they chose.

In my understanding so far, the light of truth is exposing the traditional "new moon" teaching (dark/conjunction or sliver/crescent) as false. The true chodesh shows the way to chadash/renewal/rebirth through Messiah and leads to qodesh/apartness. It comes from YHWH who is Light and leads to Messiah who is the Light of the world.

From what truth I have right now, the full moon as head of the month/appointments fits all the considerations - Scripture, historical facts and symbolism. Scripture and the symbolism of light and darkness also teach that YHWH wants pure worship from us - not mixture. And our hearts tell us that's what we want to give Him - He is worthy of nothing less!

I also don't think we will collectively "get it right" until the King of Kings reigns. But we can rejoice for that day ahead when Scriptures like Isaiah 60 will be fulfilled ...

Quote:
I will make peace your governor and righteousness your ruler. No longer will violence be heard in your land, nor ruin or destruction within your borders, but you will call your walls Salvation and your gates Praise. The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for YHWH will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; YHWH will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end.

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:48:40 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I just don't see the evidence as valid - also if you are using the full moon, it dosen't fit with feast observance, as far as I can see.

The Egyptians worshipped the moon in all of it's main phases anyway - it wasn't just the new moon, it started with the new moon at the beginning of the cycle but the "Filling of the Eye" or full moon was just as much a cause for worship as any. So maybe they got their practice from that whole system? Most other moon gods are worshipped and symbolised by all stages of phase...

More likely the ancestors of Egypt, coming from Noah's sons, would have observed the new moon and it was passed down through generations spanning out into different cultures where worship was started.

The new moon has always been the beginning of the cycle - the full moon the middle and the third quarter the end... it just works lol Spotting a full moon is really hard as you can't always judge it's roundness, but spotting the new moon is easy, as it is either there or it isn't.

So although I see your concern, I just don't think it holds water - and I hope you take time to consider these things. When I have looked into this subject most of the evidence given to me was well off balanced by over zealous pagan cleansing... We may not all be right, but a sounding board is always good to thrash ideas out :)
Offline Matthew  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:47:04 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
danshelper wrote:
Why would YHWH use a crescent moon – the quintessential symbol of idolatrous moon-god worship and occultism since ancient times – as a beacon/light (Genesis 1:14) to His set apart appointments? Would this not be mixing darkness with light? Isn’t this confusing?

All the ancient peoples worshipped the "host of heaven."

I think we should also try imagine if it was the other way round, that Yahweh used the sun to control His calendar. Would we not consider this to be mixing Baal (sun-god) worship with the light of Yahweh?

I think KP summed it up nicely: "In other words, don't make a big deal out of something that isn't."

Edit:

What I think I forgot to add here was that I think it's a great idea to keep an eye on the moon's movements (not that I do) in regards to keeping track of God's calendar. In this way it helps us to keep our minds on the things of God, more specifically His timetable. Wax on wax off! For practical purposes I don't think Yahweh wanted us to stare at sun all day because we would most likely go blind.

But, the cycles of the moon have interesting spiritual insights, for example Trumpets falls on the new moon, a time of darkness and obscurity, or maximum spiritual darkness to us KP's words, while Tabernacles falls on the full moon, hence a time of light and understanding.

Edited by user Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:49:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bridget  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:23:29 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't see the forest for the trees!!

:D
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:27:21 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Matthew wrote:
while Tabernacles falls on the full moon, hence a time of light and understanding.
As does Passover :D
Offline danshelper  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 2:57:47 AM(UTC)
danshelper

When the Messiah was being arrested after Judas' betrayal, He said "Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour--when darkness reigns." Luke 22:53

This may be just symbolism, but it also may be both literal and symbolic. It makes sense to my admittedly simple mind, that when the injustice of lawless mankind extinguished the life of "Light of the world", His Light was full toward heaven as He fulfilled the just requirements of the law on man's behalf. "It is finished" (completed, fulfilled). (When the moon is dark toward earth it is full toward heaven.)

No one has really answered my initial question - why does there appear to be a difference in the concept of chodesh between what YHWH established in the first 5 books and the rest of the OC Scriptures? In my simple mind, I read YHWH's words "first" and "beginning" of chodesh as:

1. light, not darkness (Genesis 1, lesser light) - dispelling science's dark "new moon"

2. first (one, unity, one full unit, chief, top uppermost), beginning (head, first, top) - dispelling religion's sliver/crescent "new moon"

I tremble at His word (Isaiah 66:2) and don't want to be guilty of substituting darkness for light and light for darkness (Isaiah 5:20). Will you take the "veil" of tradition off and examine this subject honestly with me?

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#17 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 5:10:16 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

danshelper wrote:
When the Messiah was being arrested after Judas' betrayal, He said "Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour--when darkness reigns." Luke 22:53

But that means nothing in regards to the moon... The moon dosen't give light, it reflects light... surely if he was talking about anything metaphorically it would have been the night anyway... I can't remember any mention of the pictorial moon removing darkness. Plus I think the word "Darkness" is more of a hankering to a lack of understanding, rather than a physical darkness - which would have been around them anyway if the moon was full or new lol...

As far as I can remember in scripture day and night are more symbols of understanding and lack of understanding / order and chaos /good and evil - and the heavenly luminaries are more representative of figures.

danshelper wrote:

Will you take the "veil" of tradition off and examine this subject honestly with me?

I am, trust me, but I can not see any evidence that actually stands up. You have not answered about the new moon start of the month being older than the religions that were birthed after it anyway? How do we account for people like Noah who we know were upright with Yah, no peoples left - starting afresh with his sons going out from him with his ways...

Things like how did Yahushua complete Passover (and the following feasts) on the day it was to be completed on when it should have been 14 days later(or earlier)... surely Yah wouldn't bend to man's edited new moon calendar - He would just keep everything to his calendar... Yahushua would have been having the feasts either 14 earlier or later than everyone else - because it would have been the Truth He would have stood for, rather than the lie man had created, even if that meant He was on His own... So either Yah bent to man's changes, or man actually got something right... :)

We have been over all this before and the last time you didn't seem to answer any questions raised by other people - I don't really understand why this is niggling at you, maybe you are on to something - but I think it would help if you are able to refute what people have said with some solid evidence, and with no disrespect, not a random verse or two with a few words related to darkness at the end of a sentence...

Answer that, and I will gladly understand your concerns. Really!

There is Way way way too much evidence for the new moon being the start of the month for me - it makes too much logical sense, and unless there is a real challenge about it then I don't have anything to challenge the logic. It's not that I am being traditional, it's just that there isn't the evidence to say I am completely wrong.

It is awesome you are digging, keep going! :)
Offline Matthew  
#18 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 8:25:03 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

danshelper wrote:
Is the "new moon" a consequence of being given over to worship the host of heaven?

I don't believe so, simply because Yahweh has designated the start of His calendar at the new moon after the ripening of Barley.

As far as I'm aware the pagans based the start of their calendar year at the vernal equinox, which is the start of spring for the Northern hemisphere when the sun starts to make its return. Or at the new moon after the vernal equinox to start counting the months. There were few calendars around in ancient times as they all tried to work it out for themselves, and obviously some brought their gods into the picture.

I've picked up some interesting passages from the Book of Enoch, for example chapter 77:12-14 "12Uriel [an angel apparently] likewise showed me another regulation, when light is poured into the moon, how it is poured into it from the sun. 13All the time that the moon is in progress with its light, it is poured into it in the presence of the sun, until its light is in fourteen days completed in heaven. 14And when it is wholly extinguished, its light is consumed in heaven; and on the first day it is called the new moon, for on that day light is received into it." One thing to notice is that Enoch was told the light of the moon came from the sun, a reflection in other words. Also, the passage tells us the first day of the month is when the light of the sun first touches the moon.

Another passage of note it chapter 64:9b "Respecting the moons have they inquired, and they have known that the earth will perish with those who dwell upon it, (and that to these there will be no place of refuge for ever." Another translation goes "Because of the sorceries which they have searched out and learnt, the earth and those who dwell upon it will be destroyed". Now maybe I'm reading in between the lines here but it seems to be that pagans mixed studying the sun, moon and stars with sorcery and astrology. Something of which judgement is pronounced upon them.

Another passage reads "The course of the moon’s path to the righteous is light, but to sinners it is darkness; in the name of the Lord of spirits, who created a division between light and darkness, and, separating the spirits of men, strengthened the spirits of the righteous in the name of his own righteousness." (Chapter 41:6) Now maybe I'm reading out of context, but understanding the path of the moon in accordance with Yahweh's ways is good, but to sinners it is darkness because they have mixed their understanding of it to false gods.

I'm sorry for using the very much debated, and questionable, Book of Enoch but their are some surprising nuggets in it. The problem with the BoE in this case is that it doesn't seem to link the cycles of the moon to Yahweh's Feasts.

I usually tend to stay away from the BoE but I know there's tons of info in it regarding the cycles of the moon.

danshelper wrote:
Why does YHWH never use or authorize the use of chodesh as “new moon” in the first 5 books?

Sorry, can't help. I don't know the Scriptures in Hebrew, nor am I using software to help me verify it.

danshelper wrote:
Why is “chodesh” always translated as “month” in the first 5 books?

Is "chodesh" linked to "qodesh"? Are they ever used to illuminate each other and provide clarification. I think someone like KP could maybe answer that.

danshelper wrote:

Yahweh didn't set the crescent moon as a light, but the moon in general as the lesser light, to help us keep track of the months and to help us understand exactly when He will fulfil His Word. The moon is just the moon, to turn it into a god or something that it's not is idolatrous.

danshelper wrote:
If YHWH who is Light and in whom is no darkness gave us the "lesser light" of the moon (which when full is 1/7th the light of the sun) for the moed/appointments (Genesis 1, Psalm 104:19)... If the appointments show the way to the Messiah, the Light of the world, the way to be renewed and restored to our relationship with our Creator... If YHWH defines the beginning of the month as first, head, chief, top, etc. ... If all nations have been given over to worship the host of heaven ... Why would we not consider that the full moon is YHWH's head of the month?

What I say now is just speculation but it's possible Satan knew what Yahweh would do while the universe was being created. We don't know how much he knew, but it seems to me he knew a lot because before Yahshua was born there were already religions who have father, mother and child figures to represent their deities. Satan already tried to counterfeit God's plan before it really got under way, or before mankind figured out what Yahweh was saying.

One reason why I also think pagans used the sun, moon and stars to work out their calendar was because it was obviously they followed a pattern that was tied in with the seasons. Plus the moon has a uniform cycles, hence being used as a time-keeper for monthly cycles.

Also, scientists say the sun is 450,000 times brighter than the moon according to their scales, while Wiki sticks it at 398,359 times brighter. I also know the BoE uses the 1/7th scale for the moon's brightness compared to the sun.

Please feel free to tell me to "shove it" after I quoted the BoE. ;)
Offline kp  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:56:35 AM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
Is "chodesh" linked to "qodesh"? Are they ever used to illuminate each other and provide clarification. I think someone like KP could maybe answer that.

I thought I already did.

Chodesh (חֹדֶשׁ) is the word for "month." It is based on chadash (חָדַשׁ) (spelled the same but pointed differently) which means "to be new, renew, repair," so the etymological link between the "month" and its beginning at the "new moon" is established. In Numbers 10:10, for instance, the "beginning of your months" is rendered Rosh (head) of the Chodesh (month). In I Samuel 20:5, David is obviously referring to the "new moon" (and not the whole month), saying "tomorrow is the 'New Moon' (rendered with one word, Chodesh), and I should not fail to sit with the king to eat."

Qadash (קָדַשׁ), the verb rendered "to be holy (consecrated, set apart, etc.) is spelled differently, beginning with a Qof (Q) instead of a
Cheit (ch). There does not appear to be any linguistic link between chodesh and qodesh.

By the way, Enoch's assessment that the moon is 1/7 as bright as the sun may not be quite as off the wall as it appears, besides the fact that he was "eyeballing" it, not using sophisticated light-measuring instruments. There is evidence that the moon is moving away from the earth---that is was once much closer (and thus appeared brighter in the night sky) than it does now. Enoch was only seven generations from Adam (if I recall), meaning that it may indeed have seemed brighter to him then than it does to us today. I can't swear that 6,000 years is enough time to make a noticeable difference, but it's a theory worth mentioning. There may have been all sorts of astrophysical weirdness in the earth's recent past. I'd refer you to "The Long Day of Joshua, and Six Other Catastrophes" by Patten, Hatch, and Steinhauer, 1973. (I'm not defending the Book of Enoch, by the way. Although it may have once been a bona fide ancient source, it seems to have been corrupted beyond usefulness. But there are several fragments of it included among the Dead Sea Scrolls.)

kp
Offline Matthew  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:29:15 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Yeah kp, I tend to not pay attention when reading, especially when short for time and having long posts to read first, it's something I'm guilty of. Thanks for repeating the word linkage for me.

The moon is apparently moving away at about 3.8cm a year, which puts it closer by about 230 meters going back at far as 6000 years ago, so not much in terms of distance. But this is obviously assuming the rate has remained the same and no other astronomical event has happened. So yeah, it still is worth mentioning, especially since Enoch was "eye-balling" it.

I'll try get a copy of the book you referred, or find an online version, even if it does have some strange and questionable science as I've been trying to figure out what happened with the long day of Joshua situation. The situation seems to indicate an astronomical, or natural, event of some sort in Joshua 10:11.

I have the same view of Enoch, there are some genuine nuggets of gold in it but feel much of it has been corrupted.
Offline danshelper  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 9:43:40 AM(UTC)
danshelper

I did not mean to imply a linguistic connection between the words chodesh, chadash, qodesh - but a process connection. These words mark the path, walk or journey (the Way) to restored relationship with YHWH. Yada explains it in his Taruw'ah chapter:

Quote:
"There is a reason Yahweh introduced seven Miqra’ey. There are six steps we are invited to follow to paradise, all of which lead to the seventh, the place where we are invited to camp out with God.
Hodesh, sometimes vocalized chodesh, where ‘ch" represents the hard "h" sound heard in Hebrew (and because of Hebrew, now in Arabic), has no equivalent in English. The word, however, means "new month." It is based upon the Hebrew word chadash and shares the same consonants. Chadash conveys "renewed and repaired" which is the purpose of the Miqra’ey and the reason for their fulfillment. To be chadash is to be "remade anew." We will hear a great deal more about this process of renewal and restoration as the Taruw’ah discussion progresses, because our restoration is the express purpose of the Called-Out Assemblies.

In this light, the Renewed Covenant is the Beriyth Chadash. And therein is the place where Yahshua affirms that the intended renewal and restoration of mankind has been achieved.

I’m convinced that chodesh is directly related to qodesh, the Hebrew word meaning "set apart, cleansing and purified." Qodesh is used to describe Yahuweh’s Spirit (the Ruwach Qodesh). It defines the "Holy of Holies" of His Temple where the Ark of the Covenant sat, which is actually "Qodesh Qodesh." Fallen and flawed man must be cleansed and purified, repaired and be restored, to have fellowship with his Creator."

Quote:
surely Yah wouldn't bend to man's edited new moon calendar

Aside from the issue of what constitutes the head of the month, if the Sabbath was being kept as a repetitive cycle in the early 1st century, He did bend to man's edited calendar, right? Because He originally established the Sabbath, as all the feast days, according to the beginning of the month - this is my understanding anyway and what kp pointed out.

Quote:
There is quite a bit of circumstantial evidence to suggest that they didn't just keep a running weekly cycle, as we do, but added a day or two as needed at the end of each month, starting the week over again at the new moon celebration.

Maybe it comes down to - what matters. As you have said "In other words, don't make a big deal out of something that isn't." It's not all these finite details (something that isn't a big deal) that matters, but to me the issue is more of what Yada explains regarding the 2nd commandment - connecting YHWH's Name with false teaching - that's a big deal.

Quote:
"It's a practical consideration: you can't accurately gauge the full moon by looking for a perfect circle in the sky, but you can spot that first new sliver of light."

Just to respond on this point, you can actually gauge the full moon by it's position on the horizon opposite the sun. Enoch 78.13 "And its light becomes full exactly on the day that as the Sun goes down in the west it rises from the east for the night. And the Moon shines for the whole night until the Sun rises opposite it, and the Moon is seen opposite the Sun." Some connect this with the temple of Ezekiel 46:1.

I sincerely apologize for any disrespect - this is the opposite of how I feel and why I'm here. I have respect and questions, that's why I'm here.

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 12:19:58 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

danshelper wrote:

Aside from the issue of what constitutes the head of the month, if the Sabbath was being kept as a repetitive cycle in the early 1st century, He did bend to man's edited calendar, right? Because He originally established the Sabbath, as all the feast days, according to the beginning of the month - this is my understanding anyway and what kp pointed out.

There is never any instruction anywhere to link the Sabbath to the moon's cycles in Torah (as far as I know), so everything we then say about it is speculation. When creating the instruction for the Sabbath Yah would have said Keep every 7th day starting from the first day in the month Set Apart. Yah is quite specific about things like that, and considering that Israel would have made 4000 rules of how to avoid breaking it too.

So no - he never established the Sabbath as the beginning of the month, I have friends who believe it is so - but other than peoples musings on the matter there isn't ever any evidence (as far as I can see) for it. I think the closest people get is things like Ezekiel 46 - but that specifies New Moons AND Sabbaths, and does not link the two.

If you were to set the Sabbath to the start of the month, you would not run in a 6+1 loop - you would be sometimes 9 days or 5 days depending on when the moon (for arguments sake - full or new) was sighted. This breaks a massive pattern that runs through Scripture, including the creation account and the time line set up with it.

Also if we say that Israel picked up the New Moon month start observance from their time in Babylon, that ended in 538BCE, (this is the place where most of their pagan influence crept in, and is the closest exile to the arrival of Yahushua). So when Yahushua arrives Israel is running on New Moon month time, not full moon month time. Which means that Yahushua did not die on the prescribed Passover of Scripture but either 14 days earlier or later depending on which way round it is. This means 2 things, either Yah's timing really dosen't mean anything and it's more the fact that it happened and was linked to Passover or Yah bent to mans prescription.

I really can't see the second happening, but if the first is true - the whole debate about full or new moon is a little redundant, because as long as we observe and understand - timing dosen't matter anyway...

If we also say this then Daniel who was Upright before Yah and was given the prophesy of Yahushua entering Jerusalem on that exact day, would also be out by 14 days. But, and if I remember correctly, Yah didn't give Daniel moons to go off, but just a lot of Maths. SO if the second example above is correct then Yah changed the rules and let man have the new moon month start instead of his own prescription.

Also because we have established the New Moon was observed by Israel at the time of Yahushua - and we take into account linking of the Sabbath to the New Moon - this also invalidates what was an awesome "coincidence" of having it all fall on a natural Sabbath that Yowbel year in 33CE. It could have been any year then, because if we start the month and sync the Sabbath to it 14 days in is always 2 lots of 7 and it's always there waiting, no matter if the moon is full or new.

The only people I see who preach this are people who really go overboard in trying to remove themselves from Israel's pagan influence - which I think is a good thing to do of course, but it can end up being too zealous. For example Yada believes that the feasts Passover, UB, FF run each and every year one after another, no matter where they come. This dosen't make sense to what Scripture says in my opinion and actually I think it says we have Passover - and UB begins then within the 7 days of UB there will be a natural Sabbath, the day after is FF. I think this one of the reasons UB is 7 days long too... but anyway I digress. The fact is sometimes people can be too quick to drop what the Pharisees or Rabbits did just because of who they were, when actually we should be looking past that to what the evidence presents.

It's kind of like the whole Paul thing (why did I bring this up here) - people leap on Paul before weighing up the actual evidence and accusations and passions fly high...

Yes the Pharisees were wrong most of the time - but blind squirrels find nuts to use the old Winn/Power-ism as to say and actually on date keeping - they are such sticklers for tradition and stubborn it wouldn't have changed, even if Yah had tried to change it!

Wow I don't half go on - sorry about that... LOL
Offline danshelper  
#23 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:54:45 PM(UTC)
danshelper

I'm very thankful - for the education, spiritual insight and fellowship I've been blessed with through this website and the forum. Thank you Yada, Ken and all forum members. All of you enabled this paper: YHWH is the Rosh of the Chodesh.
YHWH Bless You.
Karen
Offline danshelper  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:37:03 PM(UTC)
danshelper

Thank you James, for your time and efforts to get the forum in order.

I know that most here do not agree with the ‘arguments’ I’ve posted regarding the beginning of the month – the count to the feast days. But I truly see the feast days as the process of spiritual covenant renewal that YHWH has given us to bring us back into right relationship with Him. I see the monthly renewal of the moon as a picture of this process of spiritual covenant renewal with YHWH, and I see the ‘new moon’ beginning of the month as a deception, concealing the truth of the covenant renewal process. So, I share another ‘argument’ with you: New Moon Deception.
YHWH Bless You.
Karen