logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rv  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 9:03:11 AM(UTC)
rv

You have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false (Rev 2:2). Is there sufficient evidence to definitively conclude that this was referring to Paul?
Offline Swalchy  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 12:40:23 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

rv wrote:
You have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false (Rev 2:2). Is there sufficient evidence to definitively conclude that this was referring to Paul?

Sufficient evidence? The short answer to this is: No, there isn't.

The long answer is as follows: No, there isn't, and here's why -

Firstly, notice the plurals (those, apostles, them). That would indicate that there are more people than just the one. If Yahushua had wanted to be specific about referring to a single individual, we would expect something more along the lines of You have tested He who claimed to be an apostle, but is not, and have found him false.

Although why He wouldn't have just said "Paul" instead of being so secretive about who He's referring to is just peculiar - Yahushua and Yahuweh don't beat around the bush.

Secondly, how about we actually translate the whole phrase, rather than translating some words, then transliterating others:

You have tested those who claim to be messengers but are not, and have found them false.

Now, there could be numerous people that we don't know about that went to Ephesus claiming to be messengers from somewhere - it is in no way a direct reference to anybody, especially Paul.

For those that would argue that we should transliterate the Greek αποστολος/apostolos as "apostle" in this verse rather than actually translate the word as "messenger", they would have to show the usage of the Greek αποστολος/apostolos in the rest of Revelation: does Revelation use αποστολος/apostolos as a name which should be transliterated (apostle), or as a word that should be translated (messenger)?

If they can't show this in Revelation, they'd have to go through the rest of John's writings to see how he uses the word.

Then, once they've done that, they'd have to go through the attributed Pauline literature and show how Paul is supposed to have used the word αποστολος/apostolos - does he use it as a specific name or title, or is it but merely a word he uses to describe anyone who is sent with a message?

As far as I'm concerned, Revelation 2:2 is referring to certain people we really don't know all that much about - very much like the Nicolaitan's (and even those people who have allowed "Jezebel" to run rampant, and those who have accepted the teachings of Balaam/Balak - we're not given any specifics at all).

I personally think that the whole of Revelation chapters 2-3 are prophetic, and so Revelation 2:2 is referring to persons and events post Paul's and Peter's death.

So, that be my answer. Hope that helps :)
Offline Swalchy  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 1:35:58 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Hi Bridget: Just did a quick search on questioningpaul.com, and couldn't find any quotation of Revelation within it, nor any reference to Ephesus. And I wouldn't know whether Yada's referred to it on the Radio show.

So, whatever anyone's take on Paul is, my answer is still that there isn't sufficient evidence that Revelation 2:2 is a direct reference to Paul.

I know that rv's question is quite possibly based on what is said in http://www.jesuswordsonly.com, where the author of said book attempts to argue that Revelation 2:2 is a direct reference to Paul, but as with most things in his book, he does an abysmal job of being truthful or convincing

:)
Offline RidesWithYah  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:56:08 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Swalch,

I'm puzzled by your questioning using "apostolos" as "apostles"; and your keying on the plural.
My Strong's says that every place the singular English word "apostle" appears in the RC, it represents Greek #652, apostolos.
And that almost every place the plural English word "apostles" appears, it represents the same Greek #652, apostolos.
(The only exception is NOT Revelation 2:2, but 2Cor11:13, "into the apostles of Christ", which is 5570, pseudapostolos.)
Apostolos is translated singular "messenger" only in Philemon 2:25 (and fellow soldier, but your messenger);
plural "messengers" only in 2Cor 8:23 (they are the messengers of the churches).
The word usually chosen for "messenger" or "messengers" is Greek 4397, malak.

Back to Rev 2:2, I don't see a listing for "those" or "them" at that verse in Strong's, so I'm wondering if they were supplied words? If that's the case, and apostolos can be singular or plural, how do we know that this isn't another KJV mis-translation carried forward into other versions? Could it be "tested him who says he is an apostle, and is not, and found him a liar?"

I'm totally new to Greek and the art of translations.
Help me out here?

In His Love,
RWY.

Offline Swalchy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:38:06 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

RidesWithYah wrote:
Swalch,

I'm puzzled by your questioning using "apostolos" as "apostles"; and your keying on the plural.

My Strong's says that every place the singular English word "apostle" appears in the RC, it represents Greek #652, apostolos.
And that almost every place the plural English word "apostles" appears, it represents the same Greek #652, apostolos.

Yeah, sorry about that. It's mainly so that people can look up the root word in Strong's, which only contains the nominative, singular reading and never any of the others (all Greek nouns can be used in the following: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, singular, plural, feminine, masculine, 2nd person, 3rd person, 3rd person singular, 3rd person plural, 2nd person singular, 2nd person plural etc etc - Strong's would be a lot bigger if it contained each and every version of a Greek word (there's even more for verbs))

Quote:
(The only exception is NOT Revelation 2:2, but 2Cor11:13, "into the apostles of Christ", which is 5570, pseudapostolos.)
Apostolos is translated singular "messenger" only in Philemon 2:25 (and fellow soldier, but your messenger);
plural "messengers" only in 2Cor 8:23 (they are the messengers of the churches).
The word usually chosen for "messenger" or "messengers" is Greek 4397, malak.

Back to Rev 2:2, I don't see a listing for "those" or "them" at that verse in Strong's, so I'm wondering if they were supplied words? If that's the case, and apostolos can be singular or plural, how do we know that this isn't another KJV mis-translation carried forward into other versions? Could it be "tested him who says he is an apostle, and is not, and found him a liar?"

I'm totally new to Greek and the art of translations.
Help me out here?

In His Love,
RWY.

In Greek, it is the beginning and endings of words that tell you whether something is singular, plural, or any of the other voices/tenses mentioned above. In Revelation 2:2 for example, the word transliterated "apostles" is from the accusative, plural form of the Greek αποστολος/apostolos - αποστολους/apostolous - hence pluralising it in English to "apostles". Strong's is a basic tool used for quick look ups of the roots of the words found in the Tanakh and the Renewed Covenant: if you can't read Greek you'd need an interlinear that also tells you how the word is being used in a sentence.

And again, Greek doesn't work like English. The Greeks don't need to keep adding pronouns before words like us English speakers do - it's the beginnings and endings of the words that do that for them.

For example: in Revelation 2:4, the usual translation is But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.

Now, the following un-bolded words aren't technically in the text: But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first..

The reason these are added are because the word translated as "have"/εχω/echo - is actually in the present, active, first person, indicative, singular form of the verb - εχω/echo.

Now, the Greeks don't have to add the word "I" to before εχω/echo like we English do, because unlike the Greeks, we English speakers don't have first person/2nd person/indicative version's of words. No, we have to add words to represent those voices and tenses - the Greeks just have to change the beginning or the ending of a word, and they'd understand it as it is translated.

The same for the Greek word translated as "abandoned"/αφιημι/aphiemi - it is in the aorist, active, 2nd person, indicative, plural form of the verb - αφηκες/aphekes - which in English has to be translated as "you have abandoned" because that's the only way we can get the meaning of the 2nd person, aorist (or past tense) across.

This is also the same for numerous other languages across the world - English is actually a very basic language.

Saying that, Revelation 2:2 does indeed include the pronoun αυτους/autous "them", and εαυτους/eautous "those" within the text - YOu really need a Greek-English interlinear to see which words are actually used in the Greek text - just having a KJV with Strong's numbers on it is really going to hinder you in studies :)
Offline RidesWithYah  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:16:58 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
just having a KJV with Strong's numbers on it is really going to hinder you in studies :)

And here I thought it was a step forward, lol.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
You're a great asset to us all, and it's much appreciated.
Offline Swalchy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:50:37 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

RidesWithYah wrote:
And here I thought it was a step forward, lol.

Well, it's certainly better than just a KJV :)

The best interlinear I've found for those who want a quick resource, especially in book form, is The Interlinear KJV-NIV Parallel New Testament in Greek And English. Not only does it have the KJV for those that grew up with that, it has the NIV as well, a "refurbished" dynamic-equivalence translation. The two English versions are on the Left hand page, and the Greek with English underneath on the right-hand page. Very good for what it is.

Saying that, I myself have been working on a few Greek-English interlinear's based on the oldest text - they can all be found and downloaded at http://www.thewaytoyahuweh.com/pdf/Interlinear/

You could even try Philip Comforts' Greek-English Interlinear - Amazon.com. Although I myself haven't had a look at it

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
You're a great asset to us all, and it's much appreciated.

Thanks very much ^_^
Offline RidesWithYah  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:50:43 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Thanks for the recommendation.
Doesn't look like they're available new anymore, but I scored one "like new" from Ebay.
Going rate seems to be $20-$25.

Sounds like a great concept -- I use both KJV and NIV, so it will be handy to have them together even if I'm not fishing in the Greek.

There's also an NASB version, if you're so inclined.
Offline cgb2  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:46:27 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Seems in Romans 16 (verse 7 target) Paul cites many "apostles" - Plural.

Also per Rev 2 could tie to specifically rejected in Ephesus in Acts 19 (verse 9). Also rejected in all of Asia 2 Tim 1 (verse 15)
Offline Swalchy  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 1:30:41 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

cgb2 wrote:
Seems in Romans 16 (verse 7 target) Paul cites many "apostles" - Plural.

Exactly my point cgb2.

Is Paul here using the Greek "apostolos" as a title which should be transliterated as "Apostle", or as a word that should be translated "messenger"?

And it also depends on whom exactly Paul's referring to as "apostles". Is he referring to whom we know as the 12 Apostles, i.e., Matthew, Peter, James, John, Bartholomew, Thomas etc., etc., or is he just talking of general "messengers" and not necessarily the 12 Apostles as we know them?

Checking how the ESV has "translated" this verse, allow me to vehemently disagree with how they've "translated" it: "Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me."

Ignoring "Christ" for the time being, the oldest known manuscript of this verse - Papyrus 46 - doesn't say "Junia", but instead Ioulia (Julia), which I know they know about so I would at least have expected a footnote saying so. But alas - can't break too much from the KJV!

Moreover, they just appear to have completely omitted the Greek word εν/en/among from the text, and put in a full stop at the completely wrong place.

Here's how Rom 16:7 should be translated:

Greet (aspazomai) Andronicus (andronikos) and (kai) Julia (Ioulia), my (ego) relatives (sungenes) and (kai) my (ego) co-captives (sunaichmilotos), whom (hostis) are (eimi) well known and prominent (episemos) among (en) the (ho) messengers/apostles (apostolos), whom (ho) also (kai) came to be (ginomai) in (en) Messiah (chrestos) before (pro) me (ego).

Not only is Paul saying here that "Andronicus and Julia are prominent among the messengers/apostles", ie., he's saying that there are more than just the 12 "apostles", but he has also included a woman within their ranks! Not the usual tune of the person who apparently tells women they should "learn in silence" and "not be allowed to teach over a man". It should also be noted that he says they are "well-known" - they're not just some random people.

Also, the fact that Paul is referring to more than just him and the usual 12 as "apostolos" should be quite telling - he doesn't reserve the title like he seems to do in Galatians, where it's just him and the other well-known 12.

Moreover, this doesn't really help the "Revelation 2:2 is referring to Paul" crowd, for in Revelation 2:2, people are claiming themselves as "apostolos" - they're not having someone else claim it for them.

Again, it all depends on how Yahushua is using the Greek apostolos in Revelation 2:2 compared to Paul's usage in his letters. We also have no evidence of Andronicus or Julia ever going to Ephesus, so I really doubt Rev 2:2 is talking about them either.

Quote:
Also per Rev 2 could tie to specifically rejected in Ephesus in Acts 19 (verse 9).

Well, firstly, Revelation 2:2 is referring to an Ekklesia at Ephesus - Acts 19:9 makes no mention of the Ekklesia rejecting Paul, but certain members of a Synagogue there. It would also contradict the tearful goodbye's that the elders of the Ephesian Ekklesia give Paul in Acts 20:17-36. Reading Acts 20:17-36, one would hardly believe that the Ekklesia at Ephesus rejected Paul - quite the opposite in fact.

Quote:
Also rejected in all of Asia 2 Tim 1 (verse 15)

Unfortunately, I would never put any weight at all on any of the Timothy letters - we have absolutely no pre-Constantinian evidence of their existence, nevermind a Greek manuscript. Also, I would think that's just some exaggerated hyperbole on Paul's part there, especially as in verse 16-18 he refers to an Onesiphorus from Asia who aided him at Ephesus. Interestingly, he also apparently sends a Tuchicus to Ephesus in 2 Tim 4:12, which wouldn't make much sense at all if Ephesus had rejected Paul - they would've hardly accepted someone from among his group if they had done so.

That all depends on the trustworthiness of 2 Timothy however :)

There are just too many things against Revelation 2:2 being a reference to Paul, as nearly everything else contradicts such an interpretation of the verse.
Offline rv  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:59:52 AM(UTC)
rv

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Sorry I wasn’t able to follow-up with you directly over the weekend, and I was away all day yesterday – but, there seems to be significant interest in this topic given the number of views over the short term.

Quick note: When posting the topic, I didn’t know about the jesuswordsonly reference mentioned by Swalchy. Noticed Friday evening that Bridget had zeroed-in on last week’s radio show content as the motivation for the question, but it seems she has since deleted her post.

I’m reminded of that old lyrical phrase “I get by with a little help from my friends” and sense that this notion is fundamental to the day-to-day workings of this important Forum. It’s an AND world: Diverse perspectives, personalities, backgrounds, professions, collaborating together endeavoring to shake down key concepts, doctrines, and teachings to their core Scriptural elements and proving whether they are indeed pivotal ideas we can hang our hats on and promote as the truth to others.

I have been catching the daily Yada Radio shows via after-hours replay since my weekday afternoons have been packed. By the time I got to the Tuesday 5/11 show (Seven Prophetic Letters pt 2 Ephesus) late last week, calling-in for clarification/discussion wasn’t an option. Hence, the current topic poser to see if anyone else shares my concern or if perhaps there is a reasonable explanation that could be shared to help me out of my conundrum.

Yada Radio 5/11/10 http://www.blogtalkradio.../05/11/yada-yahweh-radio

Quote:
@1:09:20 Referring to Rev 2.2: “This is amongst the most important statements not understood in the renewed covenant, because Christians haven’t a clue of who He is speaking of: It’s Paul.”

@1:12:40 “There was but one person at this time, in this place, who claimed to be an apostle and was not, whose writings were wrong, injurious, pernicious, destructive, errant. One. Now, it’s true that Paul had his consortium of little buddies…and because this would be read prophetically for people for the next almost 2 thousand years, it’s plural because there were others after Paul. But in terms of this community, at this time, with someone claiming to be an apostle, we are speaking of Paul.”

@1:18:05 “If this passage had been plastered, properly translated, on the door of every Christian church they would all close down; our world would be so vastly different, so vastly superior, it would be unrecognizable. For starters Paul’s letters would have been ripped from the pages of every Bible.”

@1:19:10 “John scribed this letter in 68 or 69 CE, less than 7 years after Saul wrote his letter to the Ephesians and within close proximity to the wanabee apostle’s death. Since Paul and his companions were the only candidates who met the explicit criterion associated with Yeshuah’s bold statement, it is evident that God was calling Saul an errant, demonic and deceitful charlatan.”

I recognize the Questioning Paul movement has gained quite a head of steam here in the Forum over the last 6-8 months and it is not difficult to understand why. But there are some real problems with using Rev 2.2 to bolster that interpretation. Attempting to do so is not just a huge stretch of the meaning of the actual content, but seems to me to be a gigantic leap to the conclusions described above. This QP endeavor has obviously emerged as a doctrinal teaching, and I have to say that I would have a very hard time explaining to a savvy Bible student that it has anything to do with Rev 2.2.

Please tell me if you think I am wrong, but the primary criterion for conducting an unbiased examination is determining whether a specific doctrinal claim squares with direct Scriptural evidence and prevails in the light of objective scrutiny. Friendships and personal favoritisms aside, each of us has the solemn duty to exert all due diligence to get to the root of a matter by rightly dividing the Word of Truth to the best of his or her abilities. Anything less and we are in danger of defrauding the Almighty and His sovereign purposes, and misleading the innocent.

Swalchy wrote:

Quote:
…there could be numerous people that we don't know about that went to Ephesus claiming to be messengers from somewhere - it is in no way a direct reference to anybody, especially Paul.

…As far as I'm concerned, Revelation 2:2 is referring to certain people we really don't know all that much about - very much like the Nicolaitan's (and even those people who have allowed "Jezebel" to run rampant, and those who have accepted the teachings of Balaam/Balak - we're not given any specifics at all).

I personally think that the whole of Revelation chapters 2-3 are prophetic, and so Revelation 2:2 is referring to persons and events post Paul's and Peter's death.

I submit that this is an even-handed treatment of the verse that underscores an inappropriateness of attributing it as a reference to any specific person(s). Swalchy, I concur with your assessment and believe it captures both the spirit and letter of the verse. And while I agree that chapters 2-3 are prophetic, these ekklesia were populated with real people, with real issues, in the then “here & now.” So I would have to argue that the intent of these chapters is actually two-fold: Addressing the then present situations on the ground in Asia, and the broader prophetic aspects of what the future held…what is now and what will take place later Rev 1:19

Offline Swalchy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:10:49 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Excellent post rv, and agree entirely with your sentiments.

I would like to pick up on one thing that you've quoted from the radio show:

Quote:
John scribed this letter in 68 or 69 CE, less than 7 years after Saul wrote his letter to the Ephesians

Now I know for a fact that Yada has access to transcriptions of the oldest manuscripts, and if he was being his usual self, then I know he would've checked Papyrus 46.

Now that I know that he hasn't, I can tell each and every person on here that this statement of his is wrong. Completely and utterly.

The letter designated as "to the Ephesians" is reproduced in whole in Papyrus 46 (a papyrus all those who've read QP should know about), but here's the kicker: there is no mention of "Ephesus" in Papyrus 46 in Ephesians 1:1 It literally just says "to those who are set-apart and trustworthy in Messiah Yahushua".

We therefore have absolutely no evidence of Paul writing anything to anyone in Ephesus. The addition of "Ephesus" to the text of "Ephesians" is a later scribal addition to the text, which should be omitted.

As a point of fact therefore, we have absolutely no idea whom the letter designated as "to the Ephesians" was sent to - it's all just subjective conjecture.
Offline rv  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:06:48 PM(UTC)
rv

Swalchy, Thanks for the feedback -- particularly appreciate your discussion of Eph 1.1 in P46: to those who are set-apart and trustworthy in Messiah Yahushua.

I just took the opportunity to re-read the Book and couldn’t help noticing that it has much more of a global orientation than I had previously recognized—almost as if it was intended to address the Ekklesia at-Large, and not just a specific local assembly. If this was being distributed in the modern world, I could easily envision an electronic macro processor embedding a personalization for each name on the TO LIST: To those who are set-apart and trustworthy in Messiah Yahushua at Antioch, at Kyle of Lochalsh, at West Palm Beach, at Hangzhou, at Timbuktu…

There is nothing new under the sun: If it happens today, it certainly could have happened back then with the handwritten replications, and the discrepancy you aptly identify could possibly be explained by the recovery of two different copies: Paul’s master copy compiled in P46, and the Ephesus site-specific copy obtained through a different channel. There is also evidence of an un-recovered letter to Laodecia (Col 4.16), and Colossians has an uncanny number of parallels and similarities with the above.

The different salient issues raised with QP aside, you have to admit, “Ephesus” is a remarkably well-written Book. Think I’ll go read it again now.
Offline Swalchy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:20:25 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Whilst "Ephesians" being a "Global orientated" later is a major theory regarding "Ephesians" (the main scholarly opinion however is that Paul didn't even write "Ephesians" anyway - one of the main points being that "Ephesians" steals far too much from Colossians, something a forger would most likely do), it doesn't make sense to it being a "global" letter when Eph 6:21-22 says this: "So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and trustworthy minister in the Master will tell you everything. I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage your hearts." It would be very unlikely that Paul would have sent a sole person to distribute a letter across say, Asia minor (left half of Modern-day Turkey) - the time it would take for one person to take a letter to each and every Ekklesia would end up killing him, and take an awfully long time.

If there were more manuscripts of "Ephesians" that contained more Ekklesia's names in the addressee, then the "Global" theory of the letter would hold a bit more water. As it happens however, the manuscript evidence has one of two variants: the mention of "Ephesus", or the omission of "Ephesus". No other Ekklesia's name ever appears in any manuscript.

And all manuscripts with reference to "Ephesus" in Eph 1:1 come from the 5th Century CE onwards, which is a lot later than can be relied upon.
Offline rv  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:14:53 PM(UTC)
rv

Wasn't aware this was a major theory -- just my general sense and comment after reading the Book again this evening.

Quote:
it doesn't make sense to it being a "global" letter when Eph 6:21-22 says this: "So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and trustworthy minister in the Master will tell you everything. I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage your hearts." It would be very unlikely that Paul would have sent a sole person to distribute a letter across say, Asia minor (left half of Modern-day Turkey) - the time it would take for one person to take a letter to each and every Ekklesia would end up killing him, and take an awfully long time.

It is reasonably believable to me that Tychicus could have been sent to a group of ekklesia, say in the Roman province of Asia. Could probably make the loop from Ephesus up through Smyrna, Pergamum, down around Thiatyra, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea/Colosse in around 2 months--give or take--spending time with each assembly along the way. The remaining distance from Laodicea to Ephesus is about 85 miles. Tried to embed a graphic snippet of the map, no luck.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:19:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling error

Offline RidesWithYah  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:17:34 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I'm not convinced that this isn't referring to Paul.
Putting that aside for a moment, thoughts on this alternative explanation?

Jeremiah 7:
Quote:
Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee. Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

From our friends at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_heaven
Quote:
Queen of Heaven is a title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary by Christians, mainly Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, and Orthodox Churches, to whom the title is a consequence of the Council of Ephesus in the fifth century, where the Virgin Mary was proclaimed Mother of God. Catholic teaching on this subject is expressed in the papal encyclical Ad Caeli Reginam, issued by Pope Pius XII. It states that Mary is Queen of heaven because her son Jesus is King of Israel and heavenly king. In Hebrew tradition the mother of the king is queen. Catholic dogma (Apostolic Constitution Munificentissimus Deus) states that the Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory. The title Queen of Heaven has long been a Catholic tradition, included in prayers and devotional literature, and seen in Western art in the subject of the Coronation of the Virgin, from the High Middle Ages, long before it was given more formal status by the Church. For centuries, Catholics, while reciting the Litany of Loreto were calling on Mary as queen of heaven.

In His Love,
RidesWithYah
Offline Swalchy  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:32:47 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

rv wrote:
It is reasonably believable to me that Tychicus could have been sent to a group of ekklesia, say in the Roman province of Asia. Could probably make the loop from Ephesus up through Smyrna, Pergamum, down around Thiatyra, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea/Colosse in around 2 months--give or take--spending time with each assembly along the way. The remaining distance from Laodicea to Ephesus is about 85 miles. Tried to embed a graphic snippet of the map, no luck.

Possible, but highly unlikely. Judging from what we know regarding the rest of Paul's letters, he doesn't send global letters to numerous Ekklesia - he sends letters to people and sole cities. Just wasn't feasible to send one man around. The usual way in those days, if you were to be sending letters to numerous people, would be to write a main letter, have others copy it, and then put a greeting at the beginning and end to the person a specific copy was being sent to. Another way would be to send one letter to a person, and then have the person who it was sent to to take it to anyone else who needed to read it. But then the writer would address each and every person to whom the letter was being sent.

As it stands however, we don't have any proof that this was done with "Ephesians", and it being a "global" letter is just pure speculation and conjecture in an attempt for people to explain why "Ephesus" isn't in the oldest manuscripts.

Plus, we already see in Colossians how Paul would send letters to different cities near each other.

Quote:
I'm not convinced that this isn't referring to Paul.

Another thing I noticed looking at Revelation 2:2 is that the Greek words translated as "calling"/lego and "are"/eimi are in the present tense. It basically would mean that a full translation of Revelation 2:2 would be as follows:

I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are errant, but have tested those presently calling themselves apostles, but do not exist as such this present time, and found them to be false.

If this was in reference to Paul, we'd expect either the Greek perfect or past tense to be used for both lego and eimi, so it would say "those who have called themselves apostles, but have never existed as such."

Seeing as though Paul was dead by the writings of Revelation, Rev 2:2 can't be referring to him at all. The Greek words are absolute.

And seeing as though these are the words of Yahushua, I personally wouldn't attempt to twist what He is saying.
Offline rv  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:33:18 AM(UTC)
rv

Quote:
If this was in reference to Paul, we'd expect either the Greek perfect or past tense to be used for both lego and eimi, so it would say "those who have called themselves apostles, but have never existed as such."

Seeing as though Paul was dead by the writings of Revelation, Rev 2:2 can't be referring to him at all. The Greek words are absolute.

And seeing as though these are the words of Yahushua, I personally wouldn't attempt to twist what He is saying.

Yea and Amen on the last point – no room for twist and shout here! And your observation about the tensing of lego and eimi is tip top.

Quote:
The usual way in those days, if you were to be sending letters to numerous people, would be to write a main letter, have others copy it, and then put a greeting at the beginning and end to the person a specific copy was being sent to.

Note, this is basically what I suggested as a "possibility"; however, I would also agree that the existence of multiple data points (recovery of any individually addressed letters extrapolated from a master copy) would provide a much better basis for drawing any such conclusion about the reality of a global distribution.

Quote:
the main scholarly opinion however is that Paul didn't even write "Ephesians" anyway.

I am not familiar with this approach or any existing source materials. I do remember your call-in to Yada Radio late last year when you referred to an email from Rob floating the idea that this is in fact the case with Galatians. I would definitely like to look into it further and would appreciate if you could provide a link or reference.
Offline Swalchy  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:41:35 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

rv wrote:
I am not familiar with this approach or any existing source materials. I do remember your call-in to Yada Radio late last year when you referred to an email from Rob floating the idea that this is in fact the case with Galatians. I would definitely like to look into it further and would appreciate if you could provide a link or reference.

If you quickly read the first paragraph on the Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/...Epistle_to_the_Ephesians - it gives a quick general overview that the majority of scholar's agree that "Ephesians" wasn't written by Paul.

I'm guessing those 20% that do believe that Paul wrote Ephesians are merely Christian "scholars" attempting to hold onto some hope that they have.
Offline rv  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:12:28 AM(UTC)
rv

Swalchy, thanks for the link. Wikipedia usually isn't my first stop for just about anything, but this entry has interesting merit. Appreciate the effort.
Offline rv  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 7:01:26 AM(UTC)
rv

Swalchy, I also checked out Wikipedia for differences in opinion about the authorship of Galatians; came up empty. Could you share some specifics, references, or rationale regarding Rob's position that Paul was not the author. Thanks.
Offline rv  
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:11:27 PM(UTC)
rv

It has been a week’s time since kicking-off this topic and we have had some solid contributions to the discussion and considerable interest with over 500 views to date. The prevailing conclusion to be taken from the posts thus far is that there is no basis in fact or Scriptural evidence to support the position put forward in the 5/11/10 Yada Radio show that the reference to false apostles (messengers) in Rev 2.2 “is speaking of Paul.”

Given the recent high visibility and focus of the collaborative Questioning Paul initiative in rewriting Yada Yahweh, it is surprising that there have not been any posts arguing in support of this specific claim. The more recent additions have primarily addressed several ancillary topics raised during the discussion, so I’m going to stir the pot a bit and go back to the 5/11 broadcast to provide a set of new entry points to encourage comments among a broader segment of the Forum.

Yada Radio 5/11/10 http://www.blogtalkradio...05/11/yada-yahweh-radio

Quote:
@52:05 “The Jerusalem assembly where Simon Kephas was most resolutely established wasn’t even in the list of the seven ekklesia which Yeshuah delineated. Now that tells us a lot of things because it was by far the largest and most influential called-out assembly by this time. And so, what it is telling us is that this list was chosen not based upon their current relevance. Y’know Corinth wasn’t on the list probably because Corinth was a direct derivative of Paul’s letters. You don’t find Rome on this list, another group poisoned by Paul’s pen. You don’t find Jerusalem on this list even though they had their act together, but perhaps the issue with Jerusalem is the called-out assembly of those who were followers of the Way in Jerusalem was breathing its last gasp at this time.

I respectfully submit that the above discussion is irrelevant to an astute examination of Revelations chapters 1-3. The Scripture is explicit and unequivocal:

Rev 1.4-6 To the seven churches in the province of Asia: Grace and peace to you from Him Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, and from the seven spirits before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, Who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve His God and Father—to Him be glory and power forever and ever! Amen.

Corinth, Rome, and Jerusalem, were not on the list because the letter was not addressed to them, period. Neither was it addressed to any of the assemblies distributed across Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Syria, Bithynia... That is why none of them were on the list either. It is wrong to conclude that this “tells us a lot of things” or that the list of assemblies had anything to do with “current relevance” or an assembly’s association with Paul. Any attempt to draw such inferences from this passage of Scripture is quite simply spurious at best.

I suggest the driving hatred for everything Paul that has taken up such a pervasive influence in the Yada Yahweh Community is having a marked impact on even the most basic scriptural interpretations like the one above. It is increasingly coloring almost everything being put forward and I dare say is quickly converging on obsessive. I deeply care for and appreciate the individuals involved and find myself in the awkward position of having to speak up and say something about it. And Swalchy’s admonition (#17 5/20) about “twisting Yahushua’s words” really needs to be clearly heard and taken to heart by the principal authors.

Quote:
@55:30 “But as we look at church, which is neither a translation or transliteration of the Greek ekklesia…the only linguistic basic, etymologically, for church is the name of the Anglo-Saxon sun goddess Circe, she was the daughter of Helios, the sun god. Her name was pronounced C-h-i-r-c-h and it gave rise to the English words circle and circus. Circles are symbols for the sun, like the halo for example, used all the way through Babylonian and Egyptian religious ceremonies, and again with the Greeks with their wreaths, and in Rome. And circuses were initially known for their acts of magic.”

@58:05 “I dare say that the substitution of this satanic rubbish for the essential truth conveyed by ekklesia out-calling is just one of many Christian abominations.”

Again, this impelling hatred for everything Paul, and by association everything Christian, is injecting unnecessary distortion into the YY presentation. The notion that the early English translators settled on the word church because it was a reference to the occult goddess Circe is ludicrous.

The English word church is actually derived from the Greek word kuriake meaning “belonging or pertaining to the Master.” It is used in Rev 1:10 and I Cor 11:20 referring to the Master’s Day and Master’s Supper respectively. It is from kyros meaning power and authority; the use of kuriake clearly refers to the Master’s house.

I do not dispute the obvious difficulty with the reassignment of the called-out ekklesia to “the Master’s” meeting place: There is no justification for shifting the inherent meaning of the word from the people to a building. This was an obvious political move affected by the self-serving clergy of the time. But to portray this development as one of the many Christian abominations, laying it at the feet of honest YHWH-adoring, Yahushua-serving believers, is nothing but an unfortunate and trite exercise in hyperbole and misplaced umbrage.

The Scottish word is kirk, or circle, which passed from the Greeks through the Gothic tongue; the Goths were the first of the “northern hordes” migrating to Asia Minor, to be converted to Christianity. Kirk reflects the fact that congregations of believers, the ekklesia, primarily gathered in circles. English has many words influenced by the Germanic languages and the Hochdeutche word kirche, the Plattdeutche karke, the Danish kyrke, the Dutch kerk, and the Polish kerkiew, show the direct derivation from the Greek much better than the English church. Hence, there is no demonstrable connection in the etymologically with the aforementioned sun worship or satanic acts of magic. Interesting note though: There is however a modern connection to Captain J.C. Kirk of USS Enterprise fame -- but that is a whole other story of Masonic intrigue and occult mind screwing.

By the way, a similar issue has been raised at YY with the use of the word Bible. I have heard repeated instances on the broadcast stating that the Greek word biblos really refers to some Babylonian demonic deity and that people are basically ignorant fools for using the word. Biblos means the book or the record. It is used 10 times in the Renewed Covenant Scriptures (eg. Mt 1:1 The Book of the generation of Yahushua Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham.) Biblos refers to the inner bark of the papyrus plant, by implication a sheet or scroll of writing, specifically a book.

Any professional or academic report worth its salt has a bibliography, a list of reference books supporting the claims being made. To borrow a book in the South of France you would most probably go to a bibliotheque, a library. If you love to read, you are considered to be a bibliophile. To repeatedly and aggressively promote a position that people practicing such routine activities, as well as engaging in Bible study, are somehow spiritually entangled with some ancient occult deity of a similar-sounding name, is _____________________. (Please fill in the blank.)

Quote:
@1:00:35 Referring to Rev 1:20 and the seven stars in Yahushua’s right hand: “Simply stated, the aster (stars) are symbolic of YHWH’s messengers who bring illumination to a dark world… Any person who teaches the Scriptures, the Torah, Prophets and Psalms, and what they actually say, would qualify as an aster in this sense.”

@1:01:17 “…and this brings us to dextrose. As one of YHWH’s messengers, albeit highly flawed, weak and horribly imperfect, and His mercy, I am dextrose: Faithfully held and securely retained in the powerful hand of Yeshuah. And of course I can’t imagine a better place to be. It is an honor because He is the authority.”

I have listened to this discourse a couple of times since it aired trying to figure out exactly what is being communicated here. Would appreciate knowing your interpretations/comments. Seems to be saying that if you teach what the Tanakh actually says, you’re one of the stars mentioned here in Revelations.

As one of YHWH’s messengers…I am dextrose.”?? I imagine the actual word intended here is dexios – right hand or right side; dextrose is an alternate designation for glucose, a monosaccharide sugar and primary input to the citric acid cycle that facilitates cellular respiration. But I am having particular difficulty mapping the “faithfully held and securely retained” qualifiers from the Greek source content for this passage. Is that securely retained like you would an attorney or architect? If so, how do we get that out of dexios? The last sentence seems intended to pull everything together to indicate the presence of a star-messenger controlled by YHWH that speaks at His good pleasure and with His designated authority.

Consistency and accuracy of interpretation confirmed via peer review are of course key criteria for validating this in a mature setting. Given the discussions thus far, I would be hard-pressed to agree that we are quite there yet. Perhaps you see things differently.

rv
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#23 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 4:31:31 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey RV - really good post dude.

I have to agree that it seems there is a little too much energy going into this Paul hate - especially as the "evidence" sits wrong with me too. Paul might not have been the person Christianity believe him to be but the evidence for him being a false teacher is left wanting too.

In my view either opinion is incorrect and because of that destructive. In my opinion at the moment, the credibility Yada gains via exposing so well the Scriptures is tainted by his reaction to finding out the letters associated with Paul don't line up. As I have said in other posts, I can understand his reaction - but saying the evidence for the claims that Paul is a false teacher (prophet) is thin is a little bit of an understatement. From what I can see in regards to Yada's conclusions on Paul is that he is doing something he hates others for doing - using bad evidence and sources out of context to prove an agenda.

This runs deeper than Paul being a false teacher, and actually seeing Paul as a false teacher in my view is falling for the masquerade.

I was slow in replying because people would be asking for evidence etc etc, which is completely understandable - that will come as soon as it is fully ready.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline cgb2  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 7:53:23 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Really interesting discussion. Seems a lot ties to year Revelation was penned, which I take is believed to be in 95?
Domitian persecution 95 AD, versus Nero persecution 68-69 AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation
Offline James  
#25 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:03:23 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Guess I'll go ahead and chime in here. I've avoided it, because I'm sick of the Paul debate, it's irrelevant in my opinion.

I would say, just going by the evidence presented here and in QP, that it is a stretch to say that the Ephesians letter is addressing Paul. It may have been addressing a "false messenger Paul", disciples of the "false messenger Paul", a group of unknown people, the people that "really wrote" Galatians, or a number of other possibilities. I personally definitely see it as prophetic and addressing those who would go on to include Paul's letters, and most of the "New Testament" as Scripture, something that should never have been done.

Yada has come to the conclusion that Paul was a false witness, right or wrong, agree or disagree, that is the conclusion he has drawn from the evidence he has looked at. In his opinion rather Paul wrote or didn't write Galatians is irrelevant, because he says his studies show that everyone of Paul's letters, and the account of Paul in Acts, all convey the same message. Now, I have done any study on this, and can not refute them, nor confirm them, but that is his position and his understanding. So that is where he is coming from, right or wrong, his intention is to eventually deal with every one of Paul's epistles in the same way he dealt with Galatians. So when he does that we will have the entirety of his case, but until then, there is going to be a lot of disagreement here.

If you are of the opinion that Paul didn't write Galatians, and/or a number of the other letters attributed to him, and that the rest of Paul's letters are great/good/alright then fine, no one here believes they are Scripture so what does it matter. If Yada is of the opinion that Paul is a false prophet and thinks the evidence supports that, so what.

Personally I don't think we will ever know for sure in this lifetime. I think there is an argument to support Paul did write and an argument to support that he didn't write it. I don't think any of it is definitive. Personally Paul being a false prophet seems to fit it makes sense to me, considering he is the basis for most everything errant in Christianity, but it could very well have been someone usurping Paul's name to get there ideas incorporated. Either way what I found to be the best thing about Questioning Paul is that if you use the argument that Galatians prove's Paul to be a false prophet, then Christians are forced to deal with that, or admit that Galatians might not have been written by Paul, and therefore question the trustworthiness of all of the Renewed Covenant writings, and/or at the very least admit that Paul's writings were not Scripture. So I stick with saying definitively that the Paul of Christianity is a false prophet.

RV wrote:
Again, this impelling hatred for everything Paul, and by association everything Christian, is injecting unnecessary distortion into the YY presentation. The notion that the early English translators settled on the word church because it was a reference to the occult goddess Circe is ludicrous.

The chirch comments were in YY way before Yada ever came to the conclusion that Paul was a false prophet. I would actually say that his hatred for Christianity, which is base off of "Paul's" teachings, created his hatred for Paul not the other way around.

But as for the chirch basis for Church, I have found sources that show both the chich basis as well as the kuriake basis. Which is the true basis i don't know, i'm not a linguist, but the idea that the English translators would base their translation because of it's reference to a pagan goddes, I don't find that hard at all to believe, after all these same translators replaced Chawa with Eve, a pagan goddess, Pesach with Easter, a pagan goddess, and Yahuweh with LORD, the name and title of Ba'al, so I don't find it hard to see them doing the same thing with Ecclesia. Just looking at it chirch seems a lot closer linguistically with church than does kuriake, but that's not exactly the best way to go about it.

RV wrote:
By the way, a similar issue has been raised at YY with the use of the word Bible. I have heard repeated instances on the broadcast stating that the Greek word biblos really refers to some Babylonian demonic deity and that people are basically ignorant fools for using the word. Biblos means the book or the record. It is used 10 times in the Renewed Covenant Scriptures (eg. Mt 1:1 The Book of the generation of Yahushua Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham.) Biblos refers to the inner bark of the papyrus plant, by implication a sheet or scroll of writing, specifically a book.

My understanding, and this could be wrong, is that biblos in Greek is the papyrus bark used to make written scrolls, sheets, or books, derived from Biblia, the name of the Canaanite sun goddess, the Phoenician town known for weaving papyrus into scrolls was named in her honor. As for it's use in the RC, biblion which is derived from biblos was used, but never in reference to Scripture, other than what the Scriptures were written on. As for it meaning book in Greek, it can, but the origin of the Greek word is still from a Pagan god, just as the word atlas in English has a meaning (A collection of maps) it is derived from the name of Atlas, on of the Greek titans. Many words in English are derived from the name of god/goddesses, and the same was true for Greek. Personally i think calling Yahuweh's Scripture's by a term derived from a pagan goddess is wrong, despite what that word meant in Greek. And I think when biblon appears in the RC, it should be translated, and not transliterated as Bible.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Heretic Steve  
#26 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:54:54 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Paul makes references to end times events. Assuming he is a demoniac, (controlled by the adversary), how would he know these things?
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Swalchy  
#27 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 8:59:58 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Heretic Steve wrote:
Paul makes references to end times events. Assuming he is a demoniac, (controlled by the adversary), how would he know these things?

Well, surely he wouldn't know about them?
Offline Heretic Steve  
#28 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 9:21:08 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

"He sits as God in the temple of God, ..." is one of several references to end times events. If Paul was a demoniac and thus would not have access to this info, could he then perhaps have extrapolated his own end time observations/extrapolations from OC scrip?
Offline Swalchy  
#29 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 9:44:07 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Don't see why not. Is that a bad thing?
Offline Bridget  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:05:42 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:

Does satan not know the story? Does satan not know? I submit that he knows. Therefore, he's damn good at his work here.
Offline James  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:48:49 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I sent this thread to Yada so that he could comment and add clarification for his point. Here is the reply I got back.

Yada wrote:
I took the time to scan the pro Paul arguments, which have many elements of enlightened reason, some totally valid evidence, all mixed with a lack of information and understanding.

It's true that on its own, apart from everything else Yahshua said and Paul wrote, the Ephesian comment on self-proclaimed apostles who are liars is insufficient to ascribe it exclusively to Paul, and his deputies: Titus, Tychicus, Tyrannus, and Timothy (which explains the plural). But in light of all of the evidence, Paul alone fulfills all of Yahshua's predictions in this regard--especially the ones in the Sermon on the Mount and Olivet Discourse. It's one among many--all of which point in the same direction. But that isn't to say that others aren't also guilty of falsely claiming to be apostles in Ephesus in addition to those we know confessed to doing so.

When it comes to Paul, the primary issue is that all of the letters attributed to him contain a great deal that is in conflict with the Torah, and it is upon Pauline Doctrine that Christianity is based. So if that doesn't make Paul a false prophet, I don't know what does. Why then are some trying to protect him?

I'm not bothered that many people do not agree with me on Paul, because he's a very tough nut to crack. It took me six months of dealing with this every day, 12 hours a day, before I finally came to understand his ploy. And then everything instantly fell into place. Everything he wrote was designed to accomplish the same goal, that of separating Yahshua from Yahweh and the Torah and replacing their message with his own. I don't expect that many will ever see this as clearly as I do because Paul was very, very clever. He was much smarter than I am--and a much better salesman.

As for Paul writing to the Ephesians, a study of Paul's instructions to Timothy, Tychicus, and Tyrannus, as well as the time he spent there, and the similarity to Colossians in timing and content, makes it obvious to me that he wrote it. But frankly, since it is attributed to him, what is to be gained by attributing it to someone else or to a different place (something without parallel in Paul's epistles.)

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:54:29 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

See - it's things like this that really concern me.

Quote:

I took the time to scan the pro Paul arguments

There are no pro-Paul arguments. Neither myself or Swalchy are Pro Paul - we do not follow Paul, we do not want to save Paul's soul from whatever, or do we want to make any of his other letters stand up as good teaching - let alone Scripture. What we want to do is expose the truth. To expose the truth means to look at all the evidence and show it for what it is. If what we think is wrong, it is wrong - I am quite happy to accept Paul as a false prophet or whatever brush he is to be tarred with - but too many things don't add up.

It's all to easy to swan off down the Paul was a false prophet root - especially for "Pro Torah" people like us, but the story is a lot more complex than that.

Quote:

I don't expect that many will ever see this as clearly as I do because Paul was very, very clever.

Sounds more like something evil Paul would write... This thread is just discussion about how some people disagree with your conclusions on Paul, disagreements you ask people to bring up so as to keep you yourself thinking... You may have noticed that it does not happen very often, because most of what you have found it is from a solid foundation and source - and makes so much sense. Recently, pretty much since the Galatians discussion started - you have changed. Personally I see your reaction to this news and KP's quite similar (sorry KP I don't want to drag you in), but you have trusted this Paul for so long and now it comes to squat. You have both reacted in opposite directions.

Thankfully (which is a crazy thing to say) when I was a Christian - I never read my bible like a good boy should. Paul wasn't someone I looked up to or thought highly of or anything. I had no concept of really who or why he was (other than the basics) - I just listened to the guy at the front spouting the feel-goods.

I have no connection to Paul, I had no memories of studying what he said about freedom or grace and I certainly never spoke about him in front of a congregation. So I can completely understand your passion on this. So I am 100% on the fence un-bias about him.

But. Things are not adding up, and I feel like you are letting your passion run away with your logic a little - which concerns me as I feel you are burning too much of this hatred of Paul into your writings, when I believe it is miss placed.

So what is the big concern here. It really does not matter if Paul was or wasn't - all of the information we need is in Tanach anyway, Paul was just a man... But for those who come into this via the heat of your hatred and it is miss placed, it's just as bad as believing every word he said.

I am glad you took time to "scan" this document - but if you could read it and give some proper answers that would be much more constructive. I hope you are able to rip apart anything that is given to you against your views, it would also be much more constructive than demeaning the people who decided to question what you are writing and hold you to account.

Your response troubles me deeply.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Prodigal  
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:46:37 AM(UTC)
Prodigal

This is one of the big reasons I copied all the chapters of YY during the Great Galatians debate. Once it became clear that there would be severe editing done, I wanted to preserve what was there so I could read it for myself and make my own determinations. I know the gist of Yada's argument, and on the surface it certainly seems logically made, assuming the history and other assumptions pan out. It's just that the way it's been presented is so emotionally done that it doesn't seem as objective as it could be. I don't want to sacrifice the credibility of the tremendous amount of research that has been done by tainting it with emotional diatribes. I have enough problems reading through the tedious anti-Christian rants throughout YY. I understand why they're there, but it gets old fast. I'd rather have it mentioned up front and then gone into detail in the God Damn Religion book.

As for Paul, I don't have enough information to make an informed decision yet. Hopefully I'll get there eventually, but I think getting to know what Yahuweh has said is far more important to me right now. I'm still stumbling along, trying to get to my feet to walk upright with Him. Paul is just another distraction I don't need as I concentrate on walking.
Offline Heretic Steve  
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:39:34 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Hi Swalchy, sorry for the delay in my response. I post from the library comp and don't get here every day. Would it be so bad if Paul extrapolated his end times remarks from OC scrip? The answer is yes if used to deceive and/or as an attempt to legitimize his religious agenda. As Yada correctly stated, satan counterfeits by weaving strands of truth in a fabric of lies.
As far as I'm concerned, Yada has shot a bulls eye regarding Paul.
Come on, would Yah actually advocate for the dismemberment, (and as if that were not enough), and castration of 'James', 'John', and Peter, (or perhaps Peterless if Paul had his way)? That's just one of his numerous outrageous statements.
Offline Swalchy  
#35 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:27:02 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Heretic Steve wrote:
Hi Swalchy, sorry for the delay in my response. I post from the library comp and don't get here every day. Would it be so bad if Paul extrapolated his end times remarks from OC scrip? The answer is yes if used to deceive and/or as an attempt to legitimize his religious agenda.

I guess that really depends on how Paul used the prophecies from the Tanakh. Does he ever say "and here's a prophecy Yah gave to me" and then just summarise something from the Tanakh, therefore falsely claiming a prophecy as his own? Or does he quote a prophecy from the Tanakh, and attribute it to the actual prophet? (for the record, it's the latter, not the former)

Quote:
As Yada correctly stated, satan counterfeits by weaving strands of truth in a fabric of lies.

Something we should all be wary of, no matter who the person speaking is.

Quote:
Come on, would Yah actually advocate for the dismemberment, (and as if that were not enough), and castration of 'James', 'John', and Peter, (or perhaps Peterless if Paul had his way)? That's just one of his numerous outrageous statements.

Don't recall any of us here attempting to state that Paul's writings were Scripture, or necessarily from Yah. This is kind of a straw-man argument. No one here has yet to argue such a position.

Notwithstanding, seeing as though the author of Galatians doesn't specify who's supposed to be "emasculating themselves", imagining and speculating who it is and then stating it as fact is just as silly as the sentence itself.

Edited by user Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:33:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline rv  
#36 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:02:14 PM(UTC)
rv

WOW! What a stunning development. In less than two weeks after initiating this Forum inquiry into the validity of an assertion made on the 5/11 YY radio show that Rev 2.2 described Paul as a false apostle, the host has impulsively chosen to take his bat and ball, and go home.

This is very disappointing indeed, for a number of reasons. Foremost, I have to echo Rob’s earlier comment that Yada has bailed without giving any proper or constructive answers to a set of very legitimate and well-reasoned questions about a specific doctrinal claim that was made. Perhaps goes without saying, but I expected a much higher level of intellectual honesty to be exhibited than what has been dished out. Also, the thin-skinned and petty manner with which this has been handled just isn’t very complementary of an individual I have come to appreciate and respect over the last couple of years. Equally as troubling is the apparent self-perception of being above scrutiny and beyond being held to account by one’s peers.

This last point is paramount. No man is an island. The nascent idea behind originating this Forum was to provide a venue for open discussion of topics covered in the YY volume, and more recently, by extension, the YY radio show. There is safety in a multitude of counselors: Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed (Pr 15.22). Any legitimate intellectual endeavor today, whether professional, academic, ecclesiastical, operates in careful compliance with this time-honored principle.

Critical thinking is at its kernel and no serious person is exempt from its piercing gaze. Why? Because receiving critique of one’s work is a core process of improvement—it is the path to life: He who heeds correction is in the way of life, but he who forsakes reproof, leads others astray (Pr 10.17). Anyone submitting a manuscript to an established publishing house can count on the content undergoing thorough independent expert scrutiny and fact checking before receiving approval to release for public consumption. The purpose of this gate keeping is at least two-fold: To protect the valued readership from exposure to false or weakly substantiated claims, and to protect the publisher’s precious reputation from disdain and ridicule.

Bypassing this critical review phase and publishing the YY “book” directly to the Internet, is like entering the sheepfold by a means other than the gate (Jn10.1): It is fraught with danger for everybody involved, particularly when the author(s) make some very extraordinary claims of extra scriptural revelations directly “shared by YHWH” Himself. And if someone dares to question such claims, they are demeaned and broad brushed as lacking understanding and attacking the messenger.

Each of us needs to keep our heart with all diligence because out of it are the issues of life. Nobody has the corner on hearing from God, and I think we all know that He speaks to each of us as we earnestly seek His face. But He doesn’t speak all of the time, and discerning whether a specific word, insight, or thought is from Him and not emanating from our soulish heart and mind, is not always easy. The heart is deceitfully wicked, who can know it.

That’s one reason why we need to submit ourselves to one another in the reverence of YHWH. Because these types of “messages” really fall within the domain of prophesy since they involve the interpretation and forth telling of the will of God. It can be a private Word specific to your personal life, or perhaps, intended for a larger audience. In any case, if it is a true Word from YHWH, it will prevail under independent scrutiny and juxtaposition with the Scripture. But we need to submit it to other mature persons in The Way for a sanity check before acting on it and pronouncing it to others at The Word of YHWH. That is just basic common sense and sound operating procedure in the Kingdom of God.

Pardon my chagrin, but I thought this separate objective review was long the ongoing role and raison d’etre of the YY Forum specifically recognized by the author(s). I guess not. And it is a shame. Because in my short time here participating in the day-to-day, I have come to recognize there are more than a strong handful of thoughtful and serious students of the Scripture, bringing a treasure trove of detailed knowledge, experiences, and source language expertise to this effort. Too bad the well-specified and respectfully expressed concerns recently posted in this False Apostles thread have been summarily dismissed out of hand. Apparently only Yada has the ability, cleverness, and wherewithal, to understand the exigencies of Paul’s writings:

Yada wrote:
Quote:
“I took the time to scan the pro Paul arguments, which have many elements of enlightened reason, some totally valid evidence, all mixed with a lack of information and understanding.”

“I don't expect that many will ever see this as clearly as I do because Paul was very, very clever.”

I had to leave late Wednesday on a business trip through the rest of the week, but was able to catch the last 15 minutes of the live final show, including capture of the after show chat room postings between Yada and James. I will address these items, particularly Jimbo’s contributions in a later post.

But given the reasons for cancellation of the radio show, I can’t help but hearken back to a statement that was etched in my memory made during the show on Nov 19 in which Swalchy had called in from England and was discussing an email from Rob about the authorship of Galatians.

Yada wrote:
Quote:
@36:25 …the thing I really try to do, and it has a lot to do with my relationship with Yowel who has drilled this into me, which is, if you are going to take a position, never, never ever run away from those, the evidence that seems to be counter to your position.

Rob wrote: “Recently, pretty much since the Galatians discussion started - you have changed.” Certainly, as evidenced by your recent decision to cut an run, you are not marching to the same tune you expressed above; instead you are running away and disengaging from your friends that have taken the liberty to honestly question the justification for some of your recent doctrinal claims. I think that everyone familiar with the show would agree that since the New Year, the tone and tenor of the monologues have become increasingly strident and marked by invective and harsh condemnations. And frankly, your intensifying condemnations of “Christianity” as some monolithic entity, lacks both spiritual discernment and fairness.

During the last show you said that YHWH woke you up at 4am Wednesday morning and proceeded to “share” with you some poker metaphor about how He hadn’t “turned over all of His cards on the table yet” and that you needed to quit the radio show and “edit the first 2500 pages of YY so that Paul is presented correctly and in so doing, Christianity is exposed and condemned.”

The truth is, you woke up early on Wednesday steaming, the night before with your email to James, you re-raised into a sizable Forum pot holding a pair of deuces, got a bad flop and lost decisively at the river. Given the impulsiveness of what happened next, I really don’t believe it was YHWH who was speaking to you: Rather, it was Kenny Rogers, and he drove home the point that “you needed to know when to hold up, know when to fold up, know when to walk away…

Well, you definitely got the “knowing when to run” down pat. Just wish you weren’t such a fanatical country music fan – this whole episode could have had a much happier ending!

rv

Offline danshelper  
#37 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 5:39:00 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Can we agree that the "spirit"/manner with which we hold out the Truth is at least as important to YHWH as Truth itself? I almost gleen from Scripture that it is even more important. It is not the quantity of talents that matters, but the stewardship of them.

Like others here, I've felt for some time that the spirit or manner that the Truth was being taught, communicated and handled was wrong. I've sensed the opposite or anti-Spirit with which we're called to manage or steward the Truth -- and this has been heightened throughout the "hate everything Paul" Galations debate -- which teaching I set aside awhile ago because of this anti-Messiah spirit.

If king Saul was given an evil spirit, if the false prophets were given a lying spirit, if Peter was given an adversarial spirit, etc. -- any one of us can be given an anti-Messiah spirit -- of pride, arrogance, know-it-all attitude, impatience, unkindness, rudeness, bitterness, contentiousness, lack of compassion, etc. Including a gloating spirit -- gloating over the downfall of another which is evil in YHWH's site -- because EVERYTHING that any of us has is His GIFT. None of us has or is ANYTHING apart from Him and His mercy.

I believe that I besmirch the Truth more when I handle it with an unkind, uncompassionate, unmerciful spirit -- a prideful, "aren't I better" because I know more type of spirit -- than those who commit idolatry out of ignorance because they didn't have as many "talents" of truth as I do (like Pygmies and thousands of generations of sincere believers.)

We're really good here at discussing the "tithe of mint and cumin", but are we neglecting the "weightier matters"?? We're blessed with an increasing knowledge of the "letter" of the law, but are neglecting the spirit with which we're called to shine it out?

I'm so thankful for all of you and even for this current struggle because it's causing me to do some careful self-assessment. Let us praise and exalt YHWH for all His glorious, merciful ways and let us pray for one another that we would not be given over to any of the anti-Messiah spirits that we are all open to and that instead, He would stir up a right spirit/heart within us like Ezra to be rebuilders and repairers of His Truth.

Offline Richard  
#38 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 8:45:33 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Oh, my.

Here is what this all looks like to one who is neither a scholar of ancient languages nor an adept in the art of deductive reasoning and investigative research - me. Yada has been, without question, a gift from Yahuweh in my life. The same is to be said for James, Robski, kp, and others who frequent these forums. In times past, when I had the resources to purchase whatever study aids I wanted, I spent my money on volumes written from a singularly Christian viewpoint; in other words, I pretty much threw away my money. Now that those resources have dried up and day-to-day survival is a very real thing, I find myself more than ever relying on the honesty and diligence of those like Yada, James, Robski, kp, and the others who have and vigorously use the better resources. And I trust the Spirit in them to bring out the truths from those things they study.

Venturing into this particular thread has been a real slap in the face, a "Snap out of it!" wake-up call. I appreciate this discussion more than any other I have stumbled across, because there are so many keen minds converging to scrutinize microscopically statements and attitudes which I had never even thought to question.

Thank you, each and every one of you who have contributed to this forum.

Richard
Offline James  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:25:46 AM(UTC)
James
Man

RV wrote:
WOW! What a stunning development. In less than two weeks after initiating this Forum inquiry into the validity of an assertion made on the 5/11 YY radio show that Rev 2.2 described Paul as a false apostle, the host has impulsively chosen to take his bat and ball, and go home.

I think you might be giving yourself a little too much credit. Yada had been considering cancelling the show for some time now, and while I believe reading this thread may have been a catalyst for it, it is by no means his primary reason. His primary reason being, the time it takes away from his studies, and writing, and the fact that it is impossible to cover a subject as in depth on a daily radio show as it is in a book. The latter being where I see this thread playing a role. A comment he made on the show, which he didn’t take the time to back up, or explain himself as fully as he would and could do in a book has led to a rather heated attack of him and his work. His discontinuing of the show is really to do what many here have said that he has not done, which is properly back up his claims. He feels he is unable to do that with the show, without the book finished to back up his claims. It’s one thing to mention something in passing and point out that it is discussed in more detail in chapter X, then it is to mention it, and say that it will be addressed. Personally I agree with him, it is of much more value that he finish his rewrite of YY, and back up his arguments there than it is that he continue with the show.

RV wrote:
This is very disappointing indeed, for a number of reasons. Foremost, I have to echo Rob’s earlier comment that Yada has bailed without giving any proper or constructive answers to a set of very legitimate and well-reasoned questions about a specific doctrinal claim that was made. Perhaps goes without saying, but I expected a much higher level of intellectual honesty to be exhibited than what has been dished out.

Here I think I am to blame, and for that I apologies. The quote I posted from Yada, was not intended to be a response from him to the forum, it was intended to be a response to me personally, and in hindsight I should not have shared it, as without the context of many previous email exchanges, it is very easy for the intention behind many of the statements to be misunderstood. I would like to try to clarify what Yada meant in the email.

As for his referring to them as Pro Paul arguments I think this statement has been misunderstood by most everyone here. To me it seems obvious that he did not intend this to mean that the people are pro Paul as in defend him at all cost, but merely as in they are defending him in this instance. It’s a lot easier to say pro Paul arguments than it is to say those who are arguing that this prophecy is not addressing Paul. Again this was meant as an email to me, and not to the forum, so he was using a bit of short hand.

Also, he agreed that there was no direct evidence within that verse to pin it exclusively on Paul. So there was no need for him to refute any evidence, as he agreed with the evidence presented. He also then stated that his conclusion was based on a correlation of other evidence with it that lead him to this conclusion. He did not state this evidence, because as I pointed out, it was an email to me, and not an email to refute what was on the forum. The other evidence he is referring to is the whole of Questioning Paul. He did not point out the evidence specifically because he know that I have read questioning Paul and would know what he was speaking of. (For the record, I am in agreement with Yada at this point, in that I see Paul as a false messenger, I could be wrong, but the evidence and reasoning seems sound to me, and Yada knows this. Now if more evidence comes up those points to another conclusion, then I will examine it.) That said, I’m not going to defend Yada here, I think his arguments in QP do a good job of that, and if you have a concern about his methods or evidence, I would suggest emailing him and asking him. The forum is a good place to get others opinions, but if you have a question for Yada, it is not the place; he avoids the forums for the most part, but is very prompt about answering emails.

He then stated that, in his opinion based on his studies, all of Paul’s letters are troubling, and go against Torah. This is his conclusion; he has stated it, to me at least, many times. I have not done the research in to Paul’s letters, nor do I intend to I have much better ways to spend my time than that. As I said before his intention is to address them in additional volumes of QP, when those are published I will read them and examine the evidence he presents.

As for his comment about how he doesn’t think many will ever see the Paul issue as he does being arrogant or conceited, I disagree. I think that is a huge extrapolation. He has said many times that he doesn’t think many people will ever understand Islam as well as he does, and no one has ever said that was arrogant. His point was that given the time he has invested in it, which is significantly more than most, he has an understanding that most will not share. I don’t see this as arrogant at all, it’s just as if Ken were to say that he has a better understanding of Prophecy than most after having wrote Future History. He’s not saying that no one understanding it like he does or that no one can. Swalchy has a better understanding of Greek than most, and I’m sure he would agree, does that make him arrogant? No.

RV wrote:
Also, the thin-skinned and petty manner with which this has been handled just isn’t very complementary of an individual I have come to appreciate and respect over the last couple of years. Equally as troubling is the apparent self-perception of being above scrutiny and beyond being held to account by one’s peers.

I may be blind, but I don’t see that at all. I have emailed him numerous times about questions and concerns in YY, and he has been more than willing to address them and correct them in many cases. Again, the forum is not the place to ask Yada a question; he doesn’t read the forum unless someone sends it to him like I did. Frankly if Yada was to follow the forum and reply to everyone who question him, he would do nothing all day. Just look at all the people that come in here with their own agenda and idiocy, i.e. prophet Speaks, and the likes. If you have a question for Yada concerning anything in YY,or QP, email it to him.

RV wrote:
This last point is paramount. No man is an island. The nascent idea behind originating this Forum was to provide a venue for open discussion of topics covered in the YY volume, and more recently, by extension, the YY radio show. There is safety in a multitude of counselors: Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed (Pr 15.22). Any legitimate intellectual endeavor today, whether professional, academic, ecclesiastical, operates in careful compliance with this time-honored principle.

I would disagree the intention of the forum, as I see was to be a place for mutually supportive fellowship and study.

RV wrote:
Critical thinking is at its kernel and no serious person is exempt from its piercing gaze. Why? Because receiving critique of one’s work is a core process of improvement—it is the path to life: He who heeds correction is in the way of life, but he who forsakes reproof, leads others astray (Pr 10.17).

Again, this is not the place to submit a critique of Yada’s work to him, it is a place to critique it with other readers, but if you have specific critiques, send them to him.

RV wrote:
Anyone submitting a manuscript to an established publishing house can count on the content undergoing thorough independent expert scrutiny and fact checking before receiving approval to release for public consumption. The purpose of this gate keeping is at least two-fold: To protect the valued readership from exposure to false or weakly substantiated claims, and to protect the publisher’s precious reputation from disdain and ridicule.

Bypassing this critical review phase and publishing the YY “book” directly to the Internet, is like entering the sheepfold by a means other than the gate (Jn10.1): It is fraught with danger for everybody involved, particularly when the author(s) make some very extraordinary claims of extra scriptural revelations directly “shared by YHWH” Himself. And if someone dares to question such claims, they are demeaned and broad brushed as lacking understanding and attacking the messenger.

First Yada’s reason for not publishing YY, and sharing it on the internet, are the same for his releasing Prophet of Doom on the internet. 1) It’s FREE. 2) It’s an ongoing work 3) No publisher would be interested as it would not sell enough.

As for “extra scriptural revelations directly “shared by YHWH” Himself.” Yada has never said that he was given Revelations, only that he talks with Yahuweh. Personally I talk with Yahuweh all the time, especially before I make big decisions. I have had several times while working on translating were I am talking to Him trying to work something out, and an idea will pop into my head as to where to look, or the best way to word something, was it Yahuweh talking back or just my mind finally catching up. It’s all in how you choose to interpret it. I have never seen Yada say Yahuweh revealed this to me, and then not back it up and just say take it as I said it, maybe I missed something.

RV wrote:
Each of us needs to keep our heart with all diligence because out of it are the issues of life. Nobody has the corner on hearing from God, and I think we all know that He speaks to each of us as we earnestly seek His face. But He doesn’t speak all of the time, and discerning whether a specific word, insight, or thought is from Him and not emanating from our soulish heart and mind, is not always easy. The heart is deceitfully wicked, who can know it.

Completely agreed. Like I said, I can’t think of a time Yada has ever said that something was revealed to him and didn’t back it up, it is most always the same as the example I gave for myself. If I was in Yada’s position and trying to decide if I should discontinue the show, I sure as heck would have been discussing it with Yahuweh.

RV wrote:
That’s one reason why we need to submit ourselves to one another in the reverence of YHWH. Because these types of “messages” really fall within the domain of prophesy since they involve the interpretation and forth telling of the will of God. It can be a private Word specific to your personal life, or perhaps, intended for a larger audience. In any case, if it is a true Word from YHWH, it will prevail under independent scrutiny and juxtaposition with the Scripture. But we need to submit it to other mature persons in The Way for a sanity check before acting on it and pronouncing it to others at The Word of YHWH. That is just basic common sense and sound operating procedure in the Kingdom of God.

Agreed, and I see Yada acting within this same manner. But he has yet to see any argument that disproves to his satisfaction that his understanding is wrong in this case. We have had many people come into the forum and say we are wrong about this and that, and we have always asked them to provide proof, but none of us have changed our understanding of anything without what we have deemed sufficient evidence, the key being we individually have deemed as sufficient evidence. Everyone here comes from a different background, and none of us came to our understandings of Yahuweh lightly. Speaking for myself, I was agnostic, and it was only when I read what I deemed sufficient evidence for the existence of God, and that God had revealed himself through the Towrah, Prophet and Psalms, that I came to know him and understand him, but it took what I deemed enough evidence. We shouldn’t expect Yada to be any different. If you think his understanding is errant, provide him with evidence to the contrary, and continue to do it until he sees he is wrong.

RV wrote:
Pardon my chagrin, but I thought this separate objective review was long the ongoing role and raison d’etre of the YY Forum specifically recognized by the author(s). I guess not. And it is a shame. Because in my short time here participating in the day-to-day, I have come to recognize there are more than a strong handful of thoughtful and serious students of the Scripture, bringing a treasure trove of detailed knowledge, experiences, and source language expertise to this effort. Too bad the well-specified and respectfully expressed concerns recently posted in this False Apostles thread have beensummarily dismissed out of hand. Apparently only Yada has the ability, cleverness, and wherewithal, to understand the exigencies of Paul’s writings:

Yada wrote:
Quote:
“I took the time to scan the pro Paul arguments, which have many elements of enlightened reason, some totally valid evidence, all mixed with a lack of information and understanding.”

“I don't expect that many will ever see this as clearly as I do because Paul was very, very clever.”

Again, this is my fault, as I should not have posted the email I received from Yada, since without the context of our previous discussions it was easy to misunderstand what Yada was saying. I say this because I have a completely different read on what he said than everyone else.

RV wrote:
I had to leave late Wednesday on a business trip through the rest of the week, but was able to catch the last 15 minutes of the live final show, including capture of the after show chat room postings between Yada and James. I will address these items, particularly Jimbo’s contributions in a later post.

I don’t know exactly which conversation your refereeing too, so I can’t comment.

RV wrote:
But given the reasons for cancellation of the radio show, I can’t help but hearken back to a statement that was etched in my memory made during the show on Nov 19 in which Swalchy had called in from England and was discussing an email from Rob about the authorship of Galatians.

Yada wrote:
Quote:
@36:25 …the thing I really try to do, and it has a lot to do with my relationship with Yowel who has drilled this into me, which is, if you are going to take a position, never, never ever run awayf rom those, the evidence that seems to be counter to your position.

I don’t see where exactly Yada has done this, considering he acknowledged that the verse alone didn’t contain sufficient evidence for his conclusion. And it is this kind of understanding that he is wishing to avoid by discontinuing the show until the book is more complete, and the evidence is more available.

RV wrote:
Rob wrote: “Recently, pretty much since the Galatians discussion started - you have changed.” Certainly, as evidenced by your recent decision to cut and run, you are not marching to the same tune you expressed above; instead you are running away and disengaging from your friends that have taken the liberty to honestly question the justification for some of your recent doctrinal claims. I think that everyone familiar with the show would agree that since the New Year, the tone and tenor of the monologues have become increasingly strident and marked by invective and harsh condemnations. And frankly, your intensifying condemnations of “Christianity” as some monolithic entity, lacks both spiritual discernment and fairness.

I think I have to disagree with Rob a bit on this. Yada has always been a very emotional person, particularly pertaining to things he dislikes and feels are harmful, i.e. religions. I think then only thing that has really changed is you disagree with him on that. No one here has complained because Yada attacks Islam with strong emotional attacks, because we all agree that Islam is detrimental. Yada is doing the same thing with Paul because he feels Paul is detrimental. Has Yada brought Paul into discussions where it really didn’t fit, Yes, but that is because it is key in his mind right now, but I’m sure someone who thought he was wrong about Islam would see him doing the same thing with Islam. Its human nature that when something is on your mind you see it, or relate whatever you are talking about to that thing.
And RV, I completely disagree with you on Yada cutting and running. He stopped the show, so that he could better address issues. No one can be perfect on the radio and cover things as in depth as need be.

RV wrote:
During the last show you said that YHWH woke you up at 4am Wednesday morning and proceeded to “share” with you some poker metaphor about how He hadn’t “turned over all of His cards on the table yet” and that you needed to quit the radio show and “edit the first 2500 pages of YY so that Paul is presented correctly and in so doing, Christianity is exposed and condemned.”

The truth is, you woke up early on Wednesday steaming, the night before with your email to James, you re-raised into a sizable Forum pot holding a pair of deuces, got a bad flop and lost decisively at the river. Given the impulsiveness of what happened next, I really don’t believe it was YHWH who was speaking to you: Rather, it was Kenny Rogers, and he drove home the point that “you needed to know when to hold up, know when to fold up, know when to walk away…

Well, you definitely got the “knowing when to run” down pat. Just wish you weren’t such a fanatical country music fan – this whole episode could have had a much happier ending!

rv

I don’t know if Yahuweh woke him up the night before or not, I wasn’t there. I do know that he was thinking of discontinuing the show more than a week before I sent him this post, for the very same reasons he gave. Whether Yahuweh woke him up or he woke up troubled and began to talk to Yahuweh, Is irrelevant. And your poker analogy falls apart, since he never intended that email to be posted here.

If you really think that Yada is wrong, compile an argument showing evidence where he is wrong and why, and send it to him. I know Swalchy is doing just such a thing, concerning why he thinks Yada is wrong in regards to Paul’s authorship of Galatians. I’m sure Yada will take the time to read it, and either agree or offer points of contention. Either way the best thing you can do is engage in a dialog with him, if you are certain he is wrong, try to convince him of that.

Like I said, having reviewed all of the evidence in QP, I agree with Yada. As for the particular topic of this thread, I don't think, and Yada has said the same, that there is sufficient evidence to say that this verse is talking of Paul and Paul alone, but with the rest of the evidence I think that Paul would be a part of it, or at the very least the person who claimed to be Paul and wrote Galatians was.

Offline Heretic Steve  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:07:42 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Swalchy said, "Don't recall any of us here attempting to state that Paul's writings were Scripture, or necessarily from Yah. This is kind of a straw-man argument. No one here has yet to argue such a position."
My bad. I've not read all the threads regarding Paul/Galatians. I figured since Paul and/or his statements seem to have a degree of support, (from what I have read), then apparently his words were thought to be Scrip. Otherwise, why support them?

Did'nt Paul have it in for James, John, and Pete? If he was'nt calling for their mutulation, then whose?
Offline Swalchy  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:46:35 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Heretic Steve wrote:
Swalchy said, "Don't recall any of us here attempting to state that Paul's writings were Scripture, or necessarily from Yah. This is kind of a straw-man argument. No one here has yet to argue such a position."
My bad. I've not read all the threads regarding Paul/Galatians. I figured since Paul and/or his statements seem to have a degree of support, (from what I have read), then apparently his words were thought to be Scrip. Otherwise, why support them?

Well, again, no one *has* supported any of Paul's statements or whatever in this thread - we have merely checked to see whether Revelation 2:2 is a direct reference to Paul or not. Having had a diligent look at it, I provided more than enough evidence in this thread to show that Rev 2:2 wasn't a direct reference to anybody that we actually know of, so making a statement that it is a reference to Paul is just a complete and utter twist of the Messiah's words by a gross over-eisegetic purposed mind. That is really the main issue of the thread. And as far as it happens, no one has yet given any contradiction to what has been presented by me or rv regarding Revelation 2:2.

Quote:
Didn't Paul have it in for James, John, and Pete? If he wasn't calling for their mutulation, then whose?

That would apparently be what the author of Galatians would want us to think, but all the negative comments directed towards the 12 Apostles and James is contradicted by the overtly pro 12 Apostles and James statements seen in 1 Corinthians (where Paul always refers to Peter as Kephas - never as Petros), especially 1 Cor 3:22-4:1, and 1 Cor 15:3-11; and even in Romans 16:7 (which I amplified for everyone in a previous post in this thread).

This is why it is imperative that we check everything, and not just accept one person's point of view as fact just because of who the person is. Hence why everyone should be checking my words as well.

People need to learn to do their own studies and examinations, and not just rely on someone else to do it.

@ rv - You need to check your PM's sometime dude :D
Offline RidesWithYah  
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:04:03 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

That didn't come across as a rebuke "in love"....

Love your neighbor, even if you don't agree.
Offline In His Name  
#43 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:26:32 PM(UTC)
In His Name

rv wrote:
Why don't you rebuke them in love. Book burning is inane. I'm just speaking the truth in love.

I would have to agree with RWY. I didn't feel to much love in your statement.

I don't disagree with what they did either. They didn't call for or organize their community to burn/ban/rid the world of writings they thought were wrong. They only took private action for themselves to remove what they felt was contrary to their walk with Yah. I can't find fault with what they did.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Swalchy  
#44 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:03:32 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

UserPostedImage

= What this thread, and K & S' post made me do.

And I agree with rv - a completely inane thing to do.

And oddly enough, this thread has become inane as well. Absolutely inane.

And I'm sorry RWY and IHN, I really don't see how you think your posts are "rebukes in love", and yet say that rv's rebuke was loveless. All look the same to me.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#45 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 12:38:57 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Looks like a couple of posts have been edited or deleted.

What I replied to read something like "purge all book burners, they are self-absorbed prigs".
I thought that was over the line, beyond what we would call a friendly disagreement.
Offline rv  
#46 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 2:27:52 AM(UTC)
rv

Yea, that's about right.
Offline Swalchy  
#47 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 5:01:29 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Marcus wrote:
WOW! I just read the post it took me a while. I got to say from the discussions that it has become an attack on Yada's character as oppose to a discussion about scripture. Wow, Yada is not perfect? Really? He never claims to be. I suggest you keep it to the scripture rather than an opinionated attack.

I'm sorry - read QP or PoD lately? Lots of attacks on the character of Mohammed and Paul rather than a discussion on Scripture in numerous places.

And really, I don't think rv mentioned that he thought that Yada thought he was perfect - you're creating a straw man there.
Offline Richard  
#48 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 7:48:36 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Swalchy wrote:
I'm sorry - read QP or PoD lately? Lots of attacks on the character of Mohammed and Paul rather than a discussion on Scripture in numerous places.

That is why I edit out the news and commentary which preceeded Yada's actual Scripture studies on the radio programs before I save the MP3 to my MP3 player, Swalchy.

Loved the photo of exasperation. That's how this thread was beginning to make ME feel, too. I was grinding my tooth ...

Richard
Offline Swalchy  
#49 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 3:54:35 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Kelly and Shasta wrote:
YHWH loves the pleasing aroma of a sincere burnt offering.

Deleting comments is the digital equivalent of burning a book- but without the aroma.

= UserPostedImage

Quote:
I don't see what all the fuss is about, I simply followed the instructions of the book I burned:

"Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together and burned them before all men and they counted the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed." Acts 19:19-20.

= UserPostedImage

Quote:
YHWH has and will use fire in his judgments. We judged Paul/Solomon/Luke/and Esther and found them lacking. They should never have been included in scripture, and we righted a historic wrong.

= UserPostedImage

Decided that I can express a lot more with pictures than I can words.

And you know what, I'm done with this thread. Until someone comes and actually attempts to refute the evidence brought by me and rv regarding Revelation 2:2, I really don't see the need for this thread to continue past this post.

Edit: You can continue the "Book removal" discussion in the new thread I've created in the God Damn Religion sub-forum. Keep this thread as a discussion on Revelation 2:2
Offline Theophilus  
#50 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 4:06:33 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I appreciate the photo essay Swalchy.

I recall Yada, Ken Power and Yowel each express that we are learning together and do not possess perfect knowledge. That checking the evidence for ourselves is key. The learned people that we encounter here have been truly helpful (at least in my case) for pointing out to me resources and insights as well as showing me connections that they've made, but again the burden is on us as individuals to verify that which can be.

Respectfully,

-Theophilus