logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 3:32:57 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Well, I was guilted into going to Church this Sunday. My little sister was singing and it was Mother's Day, so I went to make my mom happy.

Their was about 45 min of songs at the start, snooze, then about 20 min of people talking about their mom, and then a 30 min sermon in which 3 verses from Matthew where quoted and no context given, not to mention nothing but a superficial discussion, when the opportunity to use Mother's Day as a basis for a Sermon on out Spiritual mother was plainly open. All and all no one left with any better a understanding of God then they went in, but everyone was on an emotional high.

But something happened that I just had to share. For years now Christians have argued with me that a cross is not a graven image, because they do not worship it. Well while they were doing their songs, kinda funny to me they remind me of Barney the dinosaur songs (all of maybe 10 words repeated over and over to drill them in to the minds of children), but I digress, they began to sing a song with the lyrics Oh Wondrous Cross, How Cross How Great You Are. I was shocked at the blatant violation of Yah's words, probably shouldn't have been, but I was.

Anyway just had to share/vent.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 4:36:04 AM(UTC)
kp

Yeah, good point. There's a fine line between a beautiful and significant symbol and an object of worship. Worshiping the "cross" is just as dumb as venerating the sun or moon---or any other thing Yahweh has created and placed in our path to serve as an instructional aid. Thank God for the "cross." Don't replace Him with it.

kp
Offline rv  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 12:05:35 PM(UTC)
rv

James,

Quote:
Oh Wondrous Cross, How Cross How Great You Are.

Not sure I've heard that one before. Definitely sounds like the lyracist's priorities are a bit out of wack. What denomination is that anyway?? But thanks be to YAH that He called Yahushua to suffer on that tree... He had the authority to lay down His life, and take it up again. Nobody else could have completed the job to specification. "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto Myself." Now, that's REAL gravity. I think we can all agree, iff it wasn't for His atoning sacrafice poured out at Golgotha, none of us would be here considering or discussing these abundantly wonderous truths.

rv
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 2:58:42 PM(UTC)
kp

Okay, color me busted. But that's why I put it in quotes. You've gotta admit, though, calling the stauros---the upright pole---"the implement of execution formerly known as the cross" is a wee bit unwieldy.

kp
Offline Bridget  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 3:12:02 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
OK, I'm confused - I thought the cross was a pagan symbol, isn't scripturally correct, but is a christian corruption - so how can it be a beautiful and significant symbol ???

Because of the message......we all know the 'story' and most relate to the 'cross'......so..the message..beautiful and significant...cross, pole, whatever....you knew that, though..
Offline Walt  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 4:26:14 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Bridget wrote:
you knew that, though..

Trying to get clarification, sorry - my bad
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:02:52 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
rv wrote:
What denomination is that anyway?? But thanks be to YAH that He called Yahushua to suffer on that tree... He had the authority to lay down His life, and take it up again. Nobody else could have completed the job to specification. "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto Myself." Now, that's REAL gravity. I think we can all agree, iff it wasn't for His atoning sacrafice poured out at Golgotha, none of us would be here considering or discussing these abundantly wonderous truths.

It's a non denominational church, but leans heavily toward Baptist. And had the song been praising Yah for what he did on the pole that would be one thing, but this was a song directly praising the cross.

My main point was like I said for years when I try to point out to Christians that the cross is a graven image they defend it saying that it's not a graven image because they don't worship or venerate it.

Personally even if they got it right and had an upright pole instead of the pagan cross I would still be against it. Yah is all about spirit, and that isn't physical, so why do we need a physical object to represent him? His word is quite clear in Exodus 20 4-6
Exodus 20:4-6 wrote:
You shall not prepare or produce for yourself accordingly a carved image or idol, or any visual representation of something, which is in the heavens above, or which is on the earth below, or which is in the waters beneath the land. You shall not bow down and worship them or speak for them and you shall not serve them or minister on their behalf. For indeed, I, Yahuweh your God, am a zealous and jealous God who is desirous of exclusivity in our relationship, reckoning the perversity and sin of twisting and distorting, perverting and manipulating the way, of the fathers upon the children concerning the third and the fourth generations of those who are hostile to Me. But I will prepare, perform, and deliver unmerited and unfailing mercy, unearned favor, and undeserved kindness to thousands who love Me, and who closely observe, carefully examine, revere, and keep My Commandments, instructions, and prescriptions.

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Rohn  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:36:11 AM(UTC)
Rohn

Reading about your "invitation to Church" kind of got me. Because I feel the same way. I think that most of us who study the scriptures of Yahweh have a hard time with many of the aspects of modern Church. Sometimes I feel like I am missing something because of being in a group. But at this point every one I go to I am a little to critical and cant get past it. Pagan worship is still the same.
Offline bigritchie  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:17:04 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

Can you imagine if the Messiah had been executed in modern times?

Would we sing songs about the "Old Rugged Lethal injection needle"?

Would we sing songs about the "Old Rugged Electric chair"?

Would we wear little electric chair necklaces?

It is all nuts when you think about it.
Offline Richard  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:19:30 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
bigritchie wrote:
Can you imagine if the Messiah had been executed in modern times?

Would we sing songs about the "Old Rugged Lethal injection needle"?

Would we sing songs about the "Old Rugged Electric chair"?

Would we wear little electric chair necklaces?

It is all nuts when you think about it.

Brother, you just made my whole day. Thanks! I needed that!

Richard