logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Job
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sirgodfrey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:30:14 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I took the advice of a fellow forum member and recently read the book of Job. I have to admit, before now I don't think I had read all of it. I do not quite understand the ending of it. Job was complaining of God ruining him and all the disaster that had befallen him. The wise men were not really wise. But the young guy was really wise. Yah questioned Job and obviously Job could not answer. I am confused of the lesson that is to be learned. What I gather is that Yah is completely righteous in His judgements and that man cannot question Him. Is that the lesson to be learned, or is there more? Someone please help with this. Thank you.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:27:46 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I find Job very difficult to understand, I'm never sure if what Job's friends are saying is correct or not.
Offline danshelper  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:38:28 AM(UTC)
danshelper

That's a really great question. It will generate some extremely helpful and thoughtful insight.

One of my favorite verses is 36:15, "He delivers the afflicted by their affliction and opens their ear by adversity." Our Father uses our painful afflictions to deliver us out of them - to teach us His ways - to open our ears to His Truth. It brings a number of other great verses to mind, like several in Psalm 119 -

- Before I was afflicted I went astray but now I keep your word. (67)
- It is good for me that I was afflicted that I might learn your statutes. (71)
- I know, O Yahweh that your rules are righteous and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. (75)

And Proverbs,

- Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts. (20:30)
- Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy. (27:6)

I'm sure all here agree that some of the greatest lessons in righteousness have come from the most painful afflictions and wounds. This brings us to that amazing position of being able to be truly thankful for our sorrows/trials/afflictions. In our Father's hand, they are instruments to bring us eternal blessing. I'm praying that your struggles, dear Brother, will bring you "inexpressible and glorious joy" (1 Peter 1:8)
Offline danshelper  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 4:28:01 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Additionally, the notes from the Reformation Study Bible/ESV are helpful. Notes at the beginning of Chapter 32 read:

"32:1-37:24 These chapters present the second monologue, that of the young man Elihu, who, unlike the others, has a Hebrew name. Many critics see him as a self-important, know-it-all person. Others believe these chapters are additions to the original text. Both views are defective. Elihu is not mentioned in the Epilogue (ch. 42) but the reason is that he is not guilty of the same errors as the other three. Elihu's critique centers on Job's words uttered during the dispute. He quotes Job, but does not accuse him of having lived a wicked life. He stresses an issue neglected by the three friends: the disciplinary and redemptive role of suffering."