logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jpelham  
#51 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 8:49:06 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Robskiwarrior wrote:
The Greek is taken from the oldest sources we have, and the words that are used in those verses are all included with a little amplification above. You can actually check them out yourself with that information :)

I am not competent to translate Greek. Have you checked this translation with someone who is, an impartial classicist? That is, one does not translate with a dictionary or lexicon.
Offline jpelham  
#52 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 8:59:13 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Robskiwarrior wrote:
I would also point out that no only sin is not there but the actual act that was put across by the modern translations, of man forgiving man of sins.

And John Calvin, a brilliant classicist who altered translations where he saw fit, and took great pains to disprove the interpretation referring to sin and personal absolution, was unable to avoid these terms, and had therefore to resort to convoluted exegesis.

Also, the Vulgate, based evidently on 4th century & earlier Latin manuscripts, has this same rendering - "Whose sins you forgive..." ("quorum remiseritis peccata remittuntur eis quorum retinueritis detenta sunt"). So it is not confined to modern translations. It is every translation before Yada's.

Edited by user Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:19:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: addendum

Offline jpelham  
#53 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:11:34 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Please, how did Yada acquire his knowledge of Hebrew, Greek and ancient history? And Catholicism?
Offline Swalchy  
#54 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:04:20 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

jpelham wrote:
The "breaking of bread" is significant. It's significance begins with Melchizadech, culminates at the last supper, and begins a beautiful legacy with the two disciples who met Yahushua on the road to Emmaus.

Sorry, but the "breaking of bread" that happened at "The Last Supper" had nothing to do with the breaking of bread with the guys in Emmaus. In fact, what we refer to as "The Last Supper" was actually the Passover meal.

Don't believe me? Well, here's a quote from the New Jerusalem Bible, the Catholic Bible, Luke 22:14-16:

When the time came he took his place at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, ‘I have ardently longed to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 because, I tell you, I shall not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.'

Quote:
Justin, who was martyred for his membership in the budding 'ekklesia,' noted "We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead." (2nd c.)

Sorry, but Justin was also an Angel worshipper, so whatever he has to say is completely and utterly useless. (See The Apologies of Justin martyr by B. Gildersleeve, page 117. Or see A New Eusibius page 60)

Quote:
One might argue against the Church's authority to institute such a change, but it is not unfairly attributed to the desire to memorialize Yahushua's victory over death, a turning point in human history.

Sorry, but Yahushua's victory over death was memorialised 1,500 years before it actually happened. It's called The Feast of Firstfruits, and Yahuweh ordained that feast himself. Yahuweh didn't ordain the day of the Sun as any sort of specific worship day for Him, nor as a replacement for the Seventh day Sabbath. In fact, he told us not to follow the customs of those that did such things, hence why we don't follow Catholicism.

Quote:
Are we to judge that two thousand years of utterly obfuscatory, deceptive translations and teachings finally came to an end with Yada? It was finally he and he alone, after the Apostles themselves, who understood the autographs, which are the sole repository of Truth?

Sorry, but I made no hint to nor even mention Yada in the passage of mine that you quoted, so why are you talking about him when I wasn't? And I'm absolutely certain that the Protestants have been trying to teach you Roman Catholics the actual meaning of the verses I quoted above long before I or even Yada was born.

You've created a straw-man, and have failed to actually address what I said.

And for the record, I run www.thewaytoyahuweh.com - I don't need Yada to translate Greek for me, and I am able to translate Koine Greek on sight anyway.

Quote:
Joseph Smith made this claim about 150 years ago, Jim Jones and David Koresh more recently. Such claims suppose a feeble Holy Spirit' (we can, without violence, take 'holy' to mean 'set-apart').

If you ask the average person on the street what the word "holy" means, I can guarantee that not 1 in 1000 people would immediately say "Set-Apart". "Holy" has become a wholly religious word, and using Holy instead of Set-Apart causes so much complications it's much better to just say set-apart. People understand what it means without it being tainted by religiosity.

Quote:
Perhaps because, upon your noble head turning hither and yon in your plaintive hands, are draped your most remarkably expressive forelocks!?

I've found that sometimes, words just don't say enough. The picture with my face in the air and my hand over it expresses everything that you can think of regarding the disbelief in what I just saw written in your post. And the second two express my exasperation at the constant moronic stupidity that infects the human mind.

Quote:
The word "sin" is excluded in your translation. Was its inclusion a dogmatically imposed corruption of what ought to be a straightforward translation? Has the accuracy of your translation been verified by a classicist? Accurate translation requires a mature sense of the melieu in which the original words were spoken, acquired by scholarly training that affords the ability to choose correctly from among a range of meanings, in consideration of nuance of context and allusions that the dictionary cannot provide. The writings of 'the Apostle whom Yahushua loved' draw from the cultures of Greece and Rome as well as Israel.

Lovely. But again, "sin" is one of those words which may have more or less been fine 500 years ago as an English translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia, but has now lost all of it's original meaning that is expressed by the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia. "missing the way and erring" is actually a full and proper translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia - Greek does in fact require more than one English word to fully accentuate the meaning of the words used.

We are plagued by the "one-word-translation" doctrine that ravages Scriptural Translation, even in those that are considered "paraphrase" bibles (The Message, New Living Translation). If you want to get the actual meaning of the Koine Greek text of the Renewed Covenant Writings across, you need a heck of a lot more than one English word. English just isn't as rich as Greek and Hebrew is.

And the reason "sin" doesn't appear twice in Jon 20:23 is because the Greek text only contains αμαρτια/hamartia once, not twice like most English translations would have us believe

Quote:
If you believe (even mathematics rests on articles of faith) that secular and sectarian scholars alike, spanning every doctrinal perspective and none, haven't translated this incorrectly, then you posit either a conspiracy or incompetency on a scale perhaps never before imagined by a sound mind.

What makes you think that "scholars" have actually translated the words the same way Yada has? I've read numerous commentaries on the Greek text of the Renewed Covenant by renowned commentators, and many of them will break away from the accepted meaning of the Greek text in their commentaries, but would not have the courage to try and get Bible "Translators" to stick a different translation in their "Bibles" - Familiarity sells, and the less a Bible diverges from the King James Version, the more copies it will sell.

Many, if not all, Bible Translations are in it for the money - It is the most sold Book on the planet, and if you can get people interested in a Bible Translation, you're going to be pocketing millions.

Quote:
Have you checked this translation with someone who is, an impartial classicist? That is, one does not translate with a dictionary or lexicon.

Have you made sure that the Bible translations you own had people who checked the translation of the Greek and Hebrew, who were also impartial classicists who had no interest in Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, or any other religion that likes to borrow things from Scripture?

If the answer's no, then I take it you don't trust the Bibles that you own.

And as someone who doesn't need a dictionary or lexicon to translate Greek, there's nothing wrong with Yada's translation of John 20:22-23.

Quote:
And John Calvin, a brilliant classicist who altered translations where he saw fit, and took great pains to disprove the interpretation referring to sin and personal absolution, was unable to avoid these terms, and had therefore to resort to convoluted exegesis.

I have no idea why you're referring to John Calvin. Has anyone here referred to him? No. So why mention something that he's done, especially when most of us dislike John Calvin due to his completely ridiculous Calvinistic theology of predestination of people for heaven and hell.

And no offence, but Catholicism has had to resort to convoluted eisegesis for a long, long time. And Protestant Christians as well.

We're critical of everyone who says things which are wrong - Protestant and Catholics alike.

Quote:
Also, the Vulgate, based evidently on 4th century & earlier Latin manuscripts, has this same rendering - "Whose sins you forgive..." ("quorum remiseritis peccata remittuntur eis quorum retinueritis detenta sunt"). So it is not confined to modern translations. It is every translation before Yada's.

Is that Latin there taken from a 4th Century version of the Latin Vulgate? Or of one of the numerous manuscripts containing the Old Latin translation of John 20:22-23?

If not, then I'm afraid you're going to have to find a manuscript to quote from verbatim.

Quote:
Please, how did Yada acquire his knowledge of Hebrew, Greek and ancient history? And Catholicism?

We're not Yada's PR troop. Email him and ask if you want answers about him. Always better from the horses mouth as they say.

jpelham, as I am a member of the moderation team, can I just advise you to not post three posts in a row - if you have something more to say, and you were the last person to post, just click on the "edit" button on your post and add whatever else it is you need to say. This makes it easier for people to read, and actually uses less bandwidth and space on the forum that Yada pays for out of his own pocket. Think he'd like to keep the cost down if he can.
Offline jpelham  
#55 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:25:32 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Thank you Swalchy for your generous reply. I cannot answer for a while but I will, and when I do I will be sure to consolidate any afterthoughts in the original reply.

Please, may I ask how you acquired your knowledge of Greek, Hebrew, and Latin, and of ancient history? I have great respect for the autodidact, but it is, with quite rare exceptions, limiting.
Offline Swalchy  
#56 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:45:31 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

jpelham wrote:
Thank you Swalchy for your generous reply. I cannot answer for a while but I will, and when I do I will be sure to consolidate any afterthoughts in the original reply.

Please, may I ask how you acquired your knowledge of Greek, Hebrew, and Latin, and of ancient history? I have great respect for the autodidact, but it is, with quite rare exceptions, limiting.

My knowledge of Hebrew is quite limited actually, jpelham, hence why I hardly talk about Hebrew. I am however an autodidact (which comes from the Greek αυτοδιδακτος/autodidaktos) on Greek and history. I know a little Latin, but nothing extensive.

And I'm pretty good at being the exception to the rule :)
Offline jpelham  
#57 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:54:45 PM(UTC)
jpelham

The Protestant translators of the "Authorized Version," like Calvin, wanted nothing more than to refute the translation of Jn. 20:23 that refers to personal absolution. They were, in a country where the best students studied classics, a regrettably fading tradition, the best, first rate scholars.

They had a compelling motive and the scholarly acumen to exhaust the range of plausible renderings, and could not justify a semblance of your translation. Yet you (following Yada?) were able to penetrate depths and register subtleties that completely eluded them, to discover radically different meanings that eluded everyone before you?

What you tacitly claim for yourself, and Yada, is that you are not only the exception to the rule, but the most scholarly and brilliant exception in the last 2000 years. Your proud recognition of 'autodidact's' Greek origin, and your prose style, bespeak intelligence and a commendable commitment to your cause. But your enterprise evinces the tutelage of another kind of intelligence, to which I address this:

Vade retro satana
Nunquam suade mihi vana
Sunt mala quae libas
Ipse venena bibas.

I remain on the Barque of St. Peter, where, quartered in unthinkable intimacy with my Lord, I journey steadily toward home.

If you reject the Catholic Church, your obvious integrity urges that you do so on the basis of its objective beliefs and the Catholic reasons for them, not on hearsay.
Offline jpelham  
#58 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:25:41 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Swalchy wrote:
Sorry, but Yahushua's victory over death was memorialised 1,500 years before it actually happened.

A "Memorial" is a remembering.

Swalchy wrote:
..the constant moronic stupidity that infects the human mind.

This speaks for itself

Swalchy wrote:
Lovely. But again, "sin" is one of those words which may have more or less been fine 500 years ago as an English translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia, but has now lost all of it's original meaning that is expressed by the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia. "missing the way and erring" is actually a full and proper translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia - Greek does in fact require more than one English word to fully accentuate the meaning of the words used.

'Missing the way and erring' refers to departing from the Way we are led by Yahuweh, i.e., disobedience, or sin.

Swalchy wrote:
We are plagued by the "one-word-translation" doctrine that ravages Scriptural Translation, even in those that are considered "paraphrase" bibles (The Message, New Living Translation). If you want to get the actual meaning of the Koine Greek text of the Renewed Covenant Writings across, you need a heck of a lot more than one English word. English just isn't as rich as Greek and Hebrew is.

I recognize that translation is not a one-to-one mapping of words.

Swalchy wrote:
What makes you think that "scholars" have actually translated the words the same way Yada has? I've read numerous commentaries on the Greek text of the Renewed Covenant by renowned commentators, and many of them will break away from the accepted meaning of the Greek text in their commentaries, but would not have the courage to try and get Bible "Translators" to stick a different translation in their "Bibles" - Familiarity sells, and the less a Bible diverges from the King James Version, the more copies it will sell.

Many, if not all, Bible Translations are in it for the money - It is the most sold Book on the planet, and if you can get people interested in a Bible Translation, you're going to be pocketing millions.

Scholars are not in it for the money, but to be the first to puiblish.

Swalchy wrote:
I have no idea why you're referring to John Calvin. Has anyone here referred to him? No. So why mention something that he's done, especially when most of us dislike John Calvin due to his completely ridiculous Calvinistic theology of predestination of people for heaven and hell.

You avoid the issue. And I have reiterated it in my initial post.

Sorry to proliferate.

I will pray for both of us.
Offline Swalchy  
#59 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 12:43:00 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

jpelham wrote:
The Protestant translators of the "Authorized Version," like Calvin, wanted nothing more than to refute the translation of Jn. 20:23 that refers to personal absolution. They were, in a country where the best students studied classics, a regrettably fading tradition, the best, first rate scholars.

John Calvin had absolutely nothing to do with the King James/Authorised Version of the Bible. And in case you hadn't realised, most of us on here despise the KJV due to blatant mistranslations and abysmal word replacements used within it (Lord for Yahuweh/Master, Jesus for Yahushua, Church for Ekklesia, Christ for Messiah), and including verses that found no evidence in any Greek manuscript before the 12th Century CE (1 John 5:7-8).

Quote:
They had a compelling motive and the scholarly acumen to exhaust the range of plausible renderings, and could not justify a semblance of your translation.

They had many more compelling motives as outlined above in the KJV of the Bible that we despise, and it's not surprising that they were unable to translate certain places properly - it's what happens when you use the Latin Vulgate as the base text.

Quote:
Yet you (following Yada?) were able to penetrate depths and register subtleties that completely eluded them, to discover radically different meanings that eluded everyone before you?

I never made such a claim, and I don't follow Yada. And again, are you absolutely sure that no one before us has noticed that "sin" doesn't appear twice in John 20:22-23, and that "sin" isn't an accurate translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia?

Google it, and see what you find.

Quote:
What you tacitly claim for yourself, and Yada, is that you are not only the exception to the rule, but the most scholarly and brilliant exception in the last 2000 years.

No I don't, and I don't speak for Yada either. Go and ask him what he thinks about himself.

You're creating another straw-man for yourself

Quote:
Your proud recognition of 'autodidact's' Greek origin, and your prose style, bespeak intelligence and a commendable commitment to your cause. But your enterprise evinces the tutelage of another kind of intelligence, to which I address this:

Vade retro satana
Nunquam suade mihi vana
Sunt mala quae libas
Ipse venena bibas.

"Begone Satan! Never tempt me with your vanities! What you offer me is evil. Drink the poison yourself!"

Just because you say it in another language, don't think that calling me SATAN is going to go unpunished.

Quote:
If you reject the Catholic Church, your obvious integrity urges that you do so on the basis of its objective beliefs and the Catholic reasons for them, not on hearsay.

I reject the Catholic Church because it is Anti-Yahuweh, and it's teachings and traditions contradict and insult Him.

Quote:
Missing the way and erring' refers to departing from the Way we are led by Yahuweh, i.e., disobedience, or sin.

Again, ask the average person on the street what "sin" means, and I guarantee that not 1 in 1 million would say "to miss the way".

Quote:
Scholars are not in it for the money, but to be the first to publish.

I never said "scholars" were in it for the money, I said people who produce "new" Bible "translations" are. And if the scholar's sole reason is "to be the first to publish", then their pride and vanity is out of this world.

Quote:
You avoid the issue. And I have reiterated it in my initial post.

I didn't avoid the issue because I wasn't the one who brought it up. I basically ignored it and told you why - because it has nothing to do with our discussion.

Quote:
I will pray for both of us.

I wish you wouldn't. I have enough problems as it as.

And you can mindlessly waste your words over your two day ban. You can't go around calling people "Satan" and get away with it, especially a moderator.

Edited by user Monday, June 14, 2010 4:57:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Steve in PA  
#60 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 4:52:14 AM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It is unfortunate that you banned him for two weeks. Couldn't you shorten it to like 2 days and give him a chance to reply to the quote that upset you? Maybe you just tire of the discussion and do not want to spend anymore time with it.
It is kind of interesting though... It seems that Mr. Pelham is just defending his religion and is not very open to changing his perspective or willing to see any error in the catholic church.
His straw man arguments are pretty weak. One very admirable characteristic of most people here (and Yada, even though he doesn't participate here) is their willingness to be challenged by new insights into Yahweh's truth and their humility to say, "I was wrong" or "I was deceived".
Offline Swalchy  
#61 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 5:01:02 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

If his sole purpose here is to defend Catholicism, then I'm afraid that isn't what this forum is for.

However, I have changed it to a two day suspension. Nevertheless, I'm done with this. Nothing is going to change his mind.

He's all yours now steve :)
Offline Walt  
#62 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 6:29:26 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Swalchy wrote:
If his sole purpose here is to defend Catholicism, then I'm afraid that isn't what this forum is for.

However, I have changed it to a two day suspension. Nevertheless, I'm done with this. Nothing is going to change his mind.

He's all yours now steve :)

Well, since this site "attacks" (from their perspective - proclaims truth from ours) catholicism, christianity and theother religions, it should be expected for them to come here in defense

Since YY says all their religions are satan rooted and their leaders serve satan, shouldn't we expect them to make the same charge back?

If we are willing to dish it out, we should be willing to take it
Offline Richard  
#63 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 7:47:44 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Family,

I find this whole thread - and others like it -to be a distraction of monumental size. Perhaps it pleases our Father when some of us strive to help others see the error of their ways in this sort of setting; in fact, I'm pretty sure it does at some level. However, for my part, I have considered that wading through some of the sludge found in these forums eats away at my available time for the study of Yahuweh's Scriptures without providing me with any really useful food for my spirit. So, while scholarly debate can be wildly entertaining from time to time (as evidenced by Swalchy's group of frustration photos), it is my unrequested opinion that too often it tempts us to lose sight of what is more important. Go ask Martha; I think she''ll know (Luke 10:38-42).

Richard
Offline Swalchy  
#64 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 9:34:54 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Walt wrote:
Well, since this site "attacks" (from their perspective - proclaims truth from ours) catholicism, christianity and theother religions, it should be expected for them to come here in defense

Since YY says all their religions are satan rooted and their leaders serve satan, shouldn't we expect them to make the same charge back?

If we are willing to dish it out, we should be willing to take it

Sure, and I've given enough of my valuable time answering such people.

It's time for others to have a go, so that those of us that answer these people most of the time don't go mental.

Also, it should be noted that this thread was not started to discuss Catholicism. In fact, Y777, the originator of this topic, hasn't yet had a second response within it. That should tell us a lot.

Quote:
Family,

I find this whole thread - and others like it - to be a distraction of monumental size. Perhaps it pleases our Father when some of us strive to help others see the error of their ways in this sort of setting; in fact, I'm pretty sure it does at some level. However, for my part, I have considered that wading through some of the sludge found in these forums eats away at my available time for the study of Yahuweh's Scriptures without providing me with any really useful food for my spirit. So, while scholarly debate can be wildly entertaining from time to time (as evidenced by Swalchy's group of frustration photos), it is my unrequested opinion that too often it tempts us to lose sight of what is more important. Go ask Martha; I think she''ll know (Luke 10:38-42).

Richard

Agreed Richard. I too have had more than enough time of mine wasted that I can endeavour to engage somewhere else.

And you know what, that's what I'm gonna go do now

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, June 14, 2010 12:30:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Bumpage

Offline jpelham  
#65 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:56:59 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Swalchy wrote:
John Calvin had absolutely nothing to do with the King James/Authorised Version of the Bible. And in case you hadn't realised, most of us on here despise the KJV due to blatant mistranslations and abysmal word replacements used within it (Lord for Yahuweh/Master, Jesus for Yahushua, Church for Ekklesia, Christ for Messiah), and including verses that found no evidence in any Greek manuscript before the 12th Century CE (1 John 5:7-8).

They had many more compelling motives as outlined above in the KJV of the Bible that we despise, and it's not surprising that they were unable to translate certain places properly - it's what happens when you use the Latin Vulgate as the base text.

I never made such a claim, and I don't follow Yada. And again, are you absolutely sure that no one before us has noticed that "sin" doesn't appear twice in John 20:22-23, and that "sin" isn't an accurate translation of the Greek αμαρτια/hamartia?

Google it, and see what you find.

No I don't, and I don't speak for Yada either. Go and ask him what he thinks about himself.

You're creating another straw-man for yourself

"Begone Satan! Never tempt me with your vanities! What you offer me is evil. Drink the poison yourself!"

Just because you say it in another language, don't think that calling me SATAN is going to go unpunished.

I reject the Catholic Church because it is Anti-Yahuweh, and it's teachings and traditions contradict and insult Him.

Again, ask the average person on the street what "sin" means, and I guarantee that not 1 in 1 million would say "to miss the way".

I never said "scholars" were in it for the money, I said people who produce "new" Bible "translations" are. And if the scholar's sole reason is "to be the first to publish", then their pride and vanity is out of this world.

I didn't avoid the issue because I wasn't the one who brought it up. I basically ignored it and told you why - because it has nothing to do with our discussion.

I wish you wouldn't. I have enough problems as it as.

And you can mindlessly waste your words over your two day ban. You can't go around calling people "Satan" and get away with it, especially a moderator.

Thank you for your patience. I did not address the Latin to you.

I note again that you assume for yourself a singular place in history. I did not say that Calvin was among the KJV translators, only that he shared their motive with respect at least to Jn 20:23, identically, as you do. I am almost certainly less fond of John Calvin than you are. Apart from his dogmatic rejection of reason, which has been exasperatingly evident in 7 years of discussions with the Calvinists who lead the church my wife still attends, he was a sadistic and unrepentent murderer. And I do not mean to diminish the fruit of your labors when I observe that his and the KJ translators' mastery of classical languages and cultures far surpasses not just yours and Yada's but that of virtually all of their learned peers. If Yada's translation is valid, it is very hard to explain how he found what they were looking for among perfectly valid translations.

Moreover, I gently reiterate that your view of Catholic teaching is not accurate. Very probably, and without fault, you learned what you know from someone who hates the Catholic Church. Catholic doctrine is honestly refuted in just one way, and that is by first understanding it accurately, with its rationale. I will address at least one or two of your specific objections in a few days. For now, without explaining, I note that the Catholic Church exists to provide, insofar as it is possible in this world, the most perfect and lovingly intimate commmunion with Yahuweh, the Logos, Who was made flesh in His Son Yahushua, through which He remains fully present to His followers in every age.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#66 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:56:50 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't understand what you think the Catholic church is. I know many Catholics, I was brought up protestant with many Catholic friends who went to Catholic schools. If our information on Catholics, (who are not a strange illusive breed here in the UK, they are very prevalent) is incorrect then teach us what you believe the Catholic church to be about and where you see that we are incorrect.

James has a pretty good understanding via experience, Swalchy knows all too well as his fathers half of his family are Catholic, etc etc. Please explain how we have gotten it wrong.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline jpelham  
#67 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 5:12:36 AM(UTC)
jpelham

I think the Catholic Church is what it professes to be in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Among the 'elders' at the Presbyterian church my wife attends are men who were raised in at least outwardly Catholic families. When I began to inquire into the theological commitments of the Presbyterian church and the rest of the ecclesial bodies that profess to be followers of the Messiyah, they, being both the guardians of Reformed orthodoxy and experts on Catholic dogma, undertook to disabuse me of my particular interest in the principal steward of Western civilization, the Roman Catholic Church. In our discussions I referred to the Catechism, which one of them owned and brought to our meetings. He and all of them acted from motives that cannot be impugned. In substance, however, all of them harbored an unrecognizably distorted, though regrettably common view of Catholic teachings. Most challenging then and now is their unwillingness to look beyond the impressions they brought to our first encounter.

The point I would emphasize is that proximity to professing Catholics, no matter how apparently intimate, does not entail an understanding of Catholic doctrine. Moreover, perhaps you know the oft quoted observation of the late Harvard historian Arthur Schlesinger, Sr. who identified prejudice against the Catholic Church as the single most enduring bias in the history of the America people.

Below is a quote from a news story about a California 'Christian' cult. They believe that all the world's evils – including communism, Nazism, prostitution, drugs - originate ultimately at the Vatican. Their antipathy is more overt than that of the Baptists or Mormons, for example, but it is a difference only in degree of what is certainly the most pervasive ‘religious’ sentiment in the US.

They attract followers with meals and camaraderie. A comment by a visitor recruited in Los Angeles for a trip to the cult compound evinces common sense insight, and a sense of humor:

"They're full of conspiracy theories about Waco and Jim Jones and stuff, and they hate, I mean hate, the Catholic Church," offers one man, a diabetic on an irregular income. "They can be a little pushy about the whole saving-your-soul thing. But they do have a really nice salad bar."

I will, though it may be a week or so, address items from the lists of objections to Catholicism that have been posted here.

Edited by user Friday, June 18, 2010 3:45:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#68 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 11:35:54 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Ok - but that didn't really answer the question it was just more burble lol

I look forward to your post :)
Offline Swalchy  
#69 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:43:01 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

jpelham wrote:
Thank you for your patience. I did not address the Latin to you.

I'll take your word for it. However if you weren't addressing it to anyone, why write it down at all?

Quote:
I am almost certainly less fond of John Calvin than you are. Apart from his dogmatic rejection of reason, which has been exasperatingly evident in 7 years of discussions with the Calvinists who lead the church my wife still attends, he was a sadistic and unrepentent murderer.

I severely doubt that you are less fond of Calvin than I am. And I know Calvin was a murderer and a sadist. A person who thinks it's okay to kill babies is high on my "don't bother listening to" list.

Quote:
And I do not mean to diminish the fruit of your labors when I observe that his and the KJ translators' mastery of classical languages and cultures far surpasses not just yours and Yada's but that of virtually all of their learned peers.

You yourself have stated that you don't know Greek or Hebrew, so how can you say that you've "observed" that Calvin and the KJV translators are better at translating Greek and Hebrew compared to me and Yada, or other people of their time?

You haven't observed anything, and are merely assuming.

It's been almost 400 years since the KJV came out - knowledge of how Koine Greek works has increased a millionfold since then.

Quote:
Moreover, I gently reiterate that your view of Catholic teaching is not accurate. Very probably, and without fault, you learned what you know from someone who hates the Catholic Church. Catholic doctrine is honestly refuted in just one way, and that is by first understanding it accurately, with its rationale.

As Robski already told you, I have a very large Roman Catholic side of my family. My knowledge of the Roman Catholic church isn't based on ignorance or from me learning from someone who hates the RC church. Another assumption on your part that is frankly, stupid.

Quote:
I note that the Catholic Church exists to provide, insofar as it is possible in this world, the most perfect and lovingly intimate commmunion with Yahuweh, the Logos, Who was made flesh in His Son Yahushua, through which He remains fully present to His followers in every age.

Yeah, and they do this by banning Yahuweh's name from ever being mentioned in a RC service. GREAT idea they had with that [/sarcasm].

Once again I've been suckered in to answer someone who doesn't know anything, and doesn't appear to want to know anything either.

Guess I give humans too much credit than they deserve
Offline Bridget  
#70 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:49:58 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As a recovering catholic, myself, it's just maddening to read pelham's posts.
It's just like arguing with my family members and many people who want only to defend their precious church.
Fundamentalism at it's finest.

I've been told that I am DEAD in 'jesus' eyes...I've been told that I must go to MASS and go to confession and pray to Mary, that nobody comes to God but by way of the catholic church and his 'holiness' the pope.....on and on and on.

How about defending the Word of Yah??? If you seek truth, there is no way that you can read catholic 'doctrine' and come to the conclusion that they speak for Yah.
Sure, it's all dressed up in fancy schmancy words and veiled in truths here and there, but it is not inspired and it is not Truth.

It contradicts the Word in so many ways....ugh, it makes me sick to my stomach. I spent years going to mass and seeking truth, only to come away totally confused and beholden to the men who run the church. I must confess to them, where they tell me to go recite hail marys and other chants and rants....
as if that would actually absolve me of any 'sins'. Really?? I must give them money every week or they will send me 'bills' and/or come to my house to 'collect' my 'offering'. Really? I must go to mass and go through that 'ritual' exercise of eating a freakin' wafer every sunday and call it communing with God. Really?
Yes, I was 'emotionally' attached to this idea for years. And boom, clarity happens. What emptiness. Talk about being among a bunch of dead...zombies.

I better stop. I am just not articulate enough to go on. I tend to rant in my exasperation with catholics who try and beat me over the head with their way of reasoning, which always leaves me spinning in circles like a top, getting Nowhere.

This YY site may not be perfect, which it never claims to be, but it's solid in it's way of seeking truths. I wish more catholics could put aside their emotions and honestly and logically look at what's going on....oy..

Offline Swalchy  
#71 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:26:04 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

Nice post there Bridget :)

Just wanted to point out that seeing "catholics" and "reasoning" in the same sentence screams of being an oxymoron :D

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoron
Offline In His Name  
#72 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:41:51 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Bridget wrote:
As a recovering catholic, myself, it's just maddening to read pelham's posts.
It's just like arguing with my family members and many people who want only to defend their precious church.
Fundamentalism at it's finest.

I've been told that I am DEAD in 'jesus' eyes...I've been told that I must go to MASS and go to confession and pray to Mary, that nobody comes to God but by way of the catholic church and his 'holiness' the pope.....on and on and on.

My take away from JP's posts is that no one, including the 2 gazzillion practicing catholics, understands the religion. I guess that speaks for itself.

Quote:
It contradicts the Word in so many ways....ugh, it makes me sick to my stomach. I spent years going to mass and seeking truth, only to come away totally confused and beholden to the men who run the church. I must confess to them, where they tell me to go recite hail marys and other chants and rants....

Contradiction revealed:
Quote:
KJV Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Quote:
I better stop. I am just not articulate enough to go on. I tend to rant in my exasperation with catholics who try and beat me over the head with their way of reasoning, which always leaves me spinning in circles like a top, getting Nowhere.

Au contraire my dear Bridget, yours was the most articulate post of the bunch. Most of the others are babble and attempts to counter the babble.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#73 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:17:28 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

In His Name wrote:
Most of the others are babble and attempts to counter the babble.

Just had an awesome mental image of counter babbling lol
Offline Bridget  
#74 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:54:02 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

lol robski...counterbabble...I resemble that remark....here I go..

And before I read the old and tired argument of "look at what the church has done to help millions", "the charity", "mother theresa"

blah blippity blah blah blah. And what say you of the people who are not religious who help out as well??
Sorry, but, I just can't let it go. I've been arguing these things with these holier than thou catholics ever since I decided that within the church is not where I would or could find my own path to Truths.

Mention 'by their fruits they'll be known' and they conveniently forget the MOLESTING of children and adults and relationships with women that they keep secret. We're supposed to ignore the fact that they spend millions of dollars on buildings with fantastic organs to play the music. (ssshhhh...concentrate on the charity work)
We're supposed to ignore that, but see Mother Theresa and the good only, right, pelham?
I mean, really, one look at that "pope mobile" and you know something is wrong.

No. Look at the whole of the church. Including all of it's sordid past. Yes, you must include it. You can't deny it. Oh, I know the answer, "Men are not perfect, but jesus wants this church and built this church and this is the only way", "ignore the bad men, concentrate on the good men"
Ignore fellow catholics who were abused by nuns in their upbringing in these holier than thou institutions. Ignore the fact that when you go seeking truth, the priest bows his head and raises his hand above your head and prays..asking for forgiveness of your sins. WTF?!?

Oh and my favorite one that happens now, "In the name of jesus!!! Heal her and take the evil out of her!!" Yes, these catholics think that they will save me. I sit and look at them totally dumbfounded. And these are not dumb people. These are very articulate, intelligent, successful people I'm dealing with. They always seem very confused when their calls to jesus ring empty. ...and then they tell me that the DEVIL has SUCH A STRONG hold over me. Oh, good grief. As if I were killing people and not sitting calmly just trying to discuss scripture/philosophy with them.

Seriously. I held a deep respect for the catholic church for a long time after I squirmed my way out of there. I'm losing respect on a daily basis. Hell, I used to hold a great amount of respect for my congressman, my senator, the Pres of the USA....No. No more. Respect is gone with the wind.

I was raised to 'respect my elder'....Nope. That elder has to earn my respect these days and if there is intellectual dishonesty...poof, be gone. I can't take it.

This forum, the book Yada Yahweh, the book Future History may not be perfection, it may not be solid 100% truth, but by damn they come about it honestly and seek to know. I guess it's just too easy for people to say, "the church has it all worked out..i shall follow them"...kind of like people who say, "let's depend on the government" ....I say..Get a Job. Read a book. THINK For yourselves. What happened to thinking??? What the heck is going on??? lol~

:)
ahhh, that's just like therapy. I feel so much better now. Thanks for the outlet. LOL....Do I sound loony? Blame it on the catholic church. LOL I kid...they're only partially responsible for my lunacy. ;)
Offline Bridget  
#75 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:58:19 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

P.S. Swalchy, I wish you wouldn't ban people, if even for a couple of days.

Shining the light by way of reason is way better than shutting them up. IMHO. (that includes me. i don't wanna get banned. lol)
Offline Swalchy  
#76 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:25:06 AM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

I actually very rarely ban people unless another forum member makes an official complaint about a specific person.

jpelham here was an exception. But he's back now, so have fun :D
Offline Matthew  
#77 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 10:41:28 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Bridget wrote:
Mention 'by their fruits they'll be known' and they conveniently forget the MOLESTING of children and adults and relationships with women that they keep secret. We're supposed to ignore the fact that they spend millions of dollars on buildings with fantastic organs to play the music. (ssshhhh...concentrate on the charity work)
We're supposed to ignore that, but see Mother Theresa and the good only, right, pelham?

No. Look at the whole of the church. Including all of it's sordid past. Yes, you must include it. You can't deny it. Oh, I know the answer, "Men are not perfect, but jesus wants this church and built this church and this is the only way", "ignore the bad men, concentrate on the good men"
Ignore fellow catholics who were abused by nuns in their upbringing in these holier than thou institutions. Ignore the fact that when you go seeking truth, the priest bows his head and raises his hand above your head and prays..asking for forgiveness of your sins. WTF?!?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells people to believe that the Catholic Church is "holy," but then say one shouldn't believe in the Catholic Church, so as to confuse the Catholic Church with God.

Here's the definition of "holy":

1. Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.
2. Regarded with or worthy of worship or veneration; revered.
3. Living according to a strict or highly moral religious or spiritual system; saintly.
4. Specified or set apart for a religious purpose.
5. Solemnly undertaken; sacrosanct.
6. Regarded as deserving special respect or reverence.
7. Informal Used as an intensive.

Reading each definition of the word "holy" and associating it to the Catholic Church actually becomes quite hilarious, for example their molesting of children and proclaiming to be holy, which could be "associated to a divine power," or "worthy of veneration," or "deserving of special respect," or "living according to a strict moral system and acting saintly," etc.

Bridget wrote:
I was raised to 'respect my elder'....Nope. That elder has to earn my respect these days and if there is intellectual dishonesty...poof, be gone. I can't take it.

Leviticus 19:32 "Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am Yahweh." But I do know some people don't deserve respect.
Offline James  
#78 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:42:27 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Just had to say great points and great posts Bridget.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline jpelham  
#79 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:03:38 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Swalchy wrote:
I'll take your word for it. However if you weren't addressing it to anyone, why write it down at all?

I have just a minute to comment. Pardon my brevity if it seems curt.

It was not addressed to you, but it was not without an intended recipient.

Swalchy wrote:
You yourself have stated that you don't know Greek or Hebrew, so how can you say that you've "observed" that Calvin and the KJV translators are better at translating Greek and Hebrew compared to me and Yada, or other people of their time?

You haven't observed anything, and are merely assuming.

It's been almost 400 years since the KJV came out - knowledge of how Koine Greek works has increased a millionfold since then.

Academic distinction and scholarly production are not assumptions.

Swalchy wrote:
As Robski already told you, I have a very large Roman Catholic side of my family. My knowledge of the Roman Catholic church isn't based on ignorance or from me learning from someone who hates the RC church. Another assumption on your part that is frankly, stupid.

If you have studied the Catechism honestly enough to accurately state the doctrinal points you reject, together with the Catholic reasons for holding them, then I will trust your judgment. But your comments indicate that this is not the case.

Swalchy wrote:
Once again I've been suckered in to answer someone who doesn't know anything, and doesn't appear to want to know anything either.

Guess I give humans too much credit than they deserve

Charity is a virtue, unequivocally, and the less begrudgingly it is exercised, the more persuasively does one claim knowledge of the love of Yahuweh.
Offline jpelham  
#80 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:20:32 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Bridget wrote:
lol robski...counterbabble...I resemble that remark....here I go..

And before I read the old and tired argument of "look at what the church has done to help millions", "the charity", "mother theresa"

blah blippity blah blah blah. And what say you of the people who are not religious who help out as well??
Sorry, but, I just can't let it go. I've been arguing these things with these holier than thou catholics ever since I decided that within the church is not where I would or could find my own path to Truths.

Oh and my favorite one that happens now, "In the name of jesus!!! Heal her and take the evil out of her!!" Yes, these catholics think that they will save me. I sit and look at them totally dumbfounded. And these are not dumb people. These are very articulate, intelligent, successful people I'm dealing with. They always seem very confused when their calls to jesus ring empty. ...and then they tell me that the DEVIL has SUCH A STRONG hold over me. Oh, good grief. As if I were killing people and not sitting calmly just trying to discuss scripture/philosophy with them.

Seriously. I held a deep respect for the catholic church for a long time after I squirmed my way out of there. I'm losing respect on a daily basis. Hell, I used to hold a great amount of respect for my congressman, my senator, the Pres of the USA....No. No more. Respect is gone with the wind.

This forum, the book Yada Yahweh, the book Future History may not be perfection, it may not be solid 100% truth, but by damn they come about it honestly and seek to know. I guess it's just too easy for people to say, "the church has it all worked out..i shall follow them"...kind of like people who say, "let's depend on the government" ....I say..Get a Job. Read a book. THINK For yourselves. What happened to thinking??? What the heck is going on??? lol~

:)
ahhh, that's just like therapy. I feel so much better now. Thanks for the outlet. LOL....Do I sound loony? Blame it on the catholic church. LOL I kid...they're only partially responsible for my lunacy. ;)

The passion of your diatribe is compelling, and deserves a respectful hearing not just here but in your family and your former parish. I very respectfully offer just that your resentment is honestly expressed, but it is resentment and not a reasoned critique, justifiable anger evidently at the mistaken, distorted, or lovelessly transmitted views of those whose duty it was to share with you the truth of Yahuweh's love, but who instead shared bitterness, pain, or cynicism. Do not judge the Church by its Judases, but by its Johns or Peters, human but raised to saintliness.

Edited by user Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:43:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo: of -> at

Offline jpelham  
#81 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:31:46 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Swalchy wrote:
Nice post there Bridget :)

Just wanted to point out that seeing "catholics" and "reasoning" in the same sentence screams of being an oxymoron :D

I am often chagrinned when I recall, after writing something rashly, that one's prose style reveals the essentials of one's character.

Flippancy does not bespeak the virtues to which you surely aspire, the dignity of the calling you profess, or the intellectual rigor these demand. Nor do insults. These clutter the common ground we can share without reservation, universal reason.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#82 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:28:42 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

jpelham - are you ever going to answer any questions or are you just going to talk about the individuals and how non-catholic we all are?

I still want to know what you think the RCC actually believes and what it is.
Offline shalom82  
#83 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:21:45 AM(UTC)
shalom82

jpehlam,
just a quick very very quick quick question because I don't have any time at all really...none at all. When you use the name of God, YHWH....aren't you transgressing the rules of mother church? I mean...not entirely...to the letter but at least in spirit....afterall, You are not to use it in the liturgy, prayers, or songs....in the service at all...if you can't use it in that context why would you use it it such an informal and I am sure in your view misguided place such as this? Isn't that a great disrespect to YHWH and shouldn't you know better as a faithful catholic?

You are always telling us how our words and our ideas speak volumes about our characters....perhaps you should hold yourself to your own exacting standard. Your latin phrase was addressed to one of us...why don't you do two things....not hide behind an ancient language when you desire to castigate people with the title Satan....and come out and say who you are accusing. Let them face your charge....otherwise we can only take you for a coward and a sneak.

Furthermore, I am with Robski....you think that we are all so unenlighened about the RCC.....well by all means....please tell us what matters and what doesn't. Tell us about your appointed times, your set apart days, your sabbath, your practices, your sacraments...all of it...because it seems to me that no matter how much research we do or how much personal experience we have you will never be satisfied with anyone's knowledge except for if it comes from you....so please....tell us what the Catholic church is. Just as Robski said....tell us...Give us what you do and why you do it. Point by point. You say that is too much of a chore...well everything that we talk about...you say we don't really understand....so give us the reasons that you accept and the justifications of your practices. Everything that we bring up is either misconstrued or incorrect....so by all means educate us according to your high standards. Do that or don't be so bold as to have your every response be a broken record that we are wrong or don't understand.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline jpelham  
#84 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:40:24 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Matthew wrote:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells people to believe that the Catholic Church is "holy," but then say one shouldn't believe in the Catholic Church, so as to confuse the Catholic Church with God.

Here's the definition of "holy":

1. Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.
2. Regarded with or worthy of worship or veneration; revered.
3. Living according to a strict or highly moral religious or spiritual system; saintly.
4. Specified or set apart for a religious purpose.
5. Solemnly undertaken; sacrosanct.
6. Regarded as deserving special respect or reverence.
7. Informal Used as an intensive.

Reading each definition of the word "holy" and associating it to the Catholic Church actually becomes quite hilarious, for example their molesting of children and proclaiming to be holy, which could be "associated to a divine power," or "worthy of veneration," or "deserving of special respect," or "living according to a strict moral system and acting saintly," etc.

If your rationale were applied to the Apostles, they would all be condemned for Judas's crime. It may or may not be as many as 11 out of 12, but most priests strive sincerely for holiness.
Offline jpelham  
#85 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:19:20 AM(UTC)
jpelham

shalom82 wrote:
jpehlam,
just a quick very very quick quick question because I don't have any time at all really...none at all. When you use the name of God, YHWH....aren't you transgressing the rules of mother church? I mean...not entirely...to the letter but at least in spirit....afterall, You are not to use it in the liturgy, prayers, or songs....in the service at all...if you can't use it in that context why would you use it it such an informal and I am sure in your view misguided place such as this? Isn't that a great disrespect to YHWH and shouldn't you know better as a faithful catholic?

There is no 'rule' against my using "Yahuweh" to refer to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (pardon my Englished versions of their names). But whether it is advisable or not I don't know. You may have a point and I will look into it.

shalom82 wrote:
You are always telling us how our words and our ideas speak volumes about our characters....perhaps you should hold yourself to your own exacting standard. Your latin phrase was addressed to one of us...why don't you do two things....not hide behind an ancient language when you desire to castigate people with the title Satan....and come out and say who you are accusing. Let them face your charge....otherwise we can only take you for a coward and a sneak.

Please notice the posting in which this appeared. The addressee is expressly identified. And the first line is in the form of a direct address - one whom I trust none of us would willingly follow.

shalom82 wrote:
Furthermore, I am with Robski....you think that we are all so unenlighened about the RCC.....well by all means....please tell us what matters and what doesn't. Tell us about your appointed times, your set apart days, your sabbath, your practices, your sacraments...all of it...because it seems to me that no matter how much research we do or how much personal experience we have you will never be satisfied with anyone's knowledge except for if it comes from you....so please....tell us what the Catholic church is. Just as Robski said....tell us...Give us what you do and why you do it. Point by point. You say that is too much of a chore...well everything that we talk about...you say we don't really understand....so give us the reasons that you accept and the justifications of your practices. Everything that we bring up is either misconstrued or incorrect....so by all means educate us according to your high standards. Do that or don't be so bold as to have your every response be a broken record that we are wrong or don't understand.

The canonical record of Catholic doctrine is the Catechism. I have not seen evidence here of 'research,' and what personal experience there is has evidently been either at the hands of those in whom personal vices or weaknesses prevailed (as they did in Judas or Peter in the courtyard), or of faithless imposters. Forgive my presumption, but if any of you have opened the Catechism, it appears to have been to quickly find something to justify a judgment you already embrace, i.e., a prejudice.

But I apologize for not addressing specifics of doctrine. It's much easier to discuss immediate points of fact and reason, and what I have time for at the moment. It will be a few days more.

One last observation. If what has been called Pentacost means anything, it is that all needful knowledge of Yahuweh and the Incarnation is at home in any language.
Offline jpelham  
#86 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:23:15 PM(UTC)
jpelham

What I meant to say is please be patient, I really have time now just for...

wrote:
quick very very quick quick comments because I don't have any time at all really...none at all.

But I will in a few days. I will address the issues you have raised respectfully and carefully, with citations if you should want to check sources.
Offline Matthew  
#87 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:57:14 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

jpelham wrote:
The canonical record of Catholic doctrine is the Catechism. I have not seen evidence here of 'research,' and what personal experience there is has evidently been either at the hands of those in whom personal vices or weaknesses prevailed (as they did in Judas or Peter in the courtyard), or of faithless imposters. Forgive my presumption, but if any of you have opened the Catechism, it appears to have been to quickly find something to justify a judgment you already embrace, i.e., a prejudice.

Maybe that's true but on page one already we can find things that are unbiblical. I haven't read the whole Catechism, but only a few pages into it I get tired of its religious babble designed to confuse people and cause them to submit to the Catholic Church's authority as opposed to revealing Scripture and encouraging people to have a relationship with Yahweh.

jpelham, here's a challenge for you. Using Scripture (and not the Catechism) please justify the follow things associated to Catholicism:

The papacy, hierarchal church order and clergy, popes, cardinals, fathers, priests, monks, nuns, a paid clerical staff and human authority. Clerical robes, crowns, and seats of honor. Easter, Lent, the Nativity of St. John, the Feast of the Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas, Sunday Worship, mass, churches, crosses, religious candles, halos, the golden sunburst icons, holy water, child statues, Madonna and Child, saints, the sacred heart, reverence for relics, canonizing saints and prayers to and for the dead, petitions to Mary and saints, the adoration of Mary, infant baptism and baptismal regeneration, Eucharist, confessions, the Rosary, indulgences, purgatory, the crusades, inquisitions, and the use of torture.

Please note: all of the above can be quite easily linked to Babylon and paganism, and over and over again we are reminded in Scripture to not associate ourselves to the ways of the pagans, that we are to live set-apart and not copy them.

“Indeed, when you come into (bow’ – enter, are led into, return to, or are included in) the land associated with (‘ahser) Yahuweh your God, given (natan – bestowed and entrusted) to you, you shall not accept, teach, or imitate (lamad – be trained in, instruct, become accustomed to, or disciple others in), or perform (‘asah – fashion, effect, attend to, commit to, observe, celebrate, profit from, bring about, ordain or institute) any of the disgusting religious ways (tow’ebah – abhorrent rites, detestable idolatrous things, repulsive and loathsome rituals, abominable festivals) of the Gentile nations (gowym).” (Deuteronomy 18:9)

Yahshua Himself said the Torah hasn't been abolished therefore this passage in Deuteronomy still stands, yet the Catholic Church have ignored it and willingly disobeyed it.

Also justify why it's OK (according to Catholicism) to refer to Yahweh as "the Lord," to teach that Peter was a pope, that popes are Christ’s representatives, and that popes are holy and infallible. Also, explain why the Catholic Church edited Yahweh’s name out of His Scripture and changed Yahshua’s name and title, and why they kept Yahuweh’s Word from the people for one thousand years.
Offline Richard  
#88 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:31:33 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am amazed that y'all are still conversing with this person, Matthew. I figured out many posts ago that he is just wanting to argue for the sake of feeling superior in knowledge and understanding, and that he shows no sign at all of being a seeker of truth. Why waste your time with him? I don't want to seem harsh or uncaring, but come on! Enough is enough, already.

Let the pope and the RCC save him, seeing that he insists on tolerating and respecting them. Yahuweh commands us NOT to tolerate religion. So, as I asked before, why bother with the person? Shake off the dust and make room for someone who is sincere.

Richard
Offline bigritchie  
#89 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:40:55 PM(UTC)
bigritchie

Jpelham wrote:

Quote:
There is no 'rule' against my using "Yahuweh" to refer to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (pardon my Englished versions of their names). But whether it is advisable or not I don't know. You may have a point and I will look into it.

Here is a google link that will take you to several Roman church websites, where various Cardinals do not allow the use of YHWH, and it comes straight down from the Pope.

You can see the links from your own church rather then taking our word for it.

http://www.google.com/#h...&fp=5f41442f36f7b7f8

Offline Matthew  
#90 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:01:56 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

flintface wrote:
Why waste your time with him?

I got a little bored this afternoon and thought I'd challenge jpelham a bit.

Seeing bigrich's post now I came across point 841 in the Catechism regarding Muslims, it says: The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day." Source

Unbelievable, they're saying Yahweh is the same god, that Yahweh is Allah. Obviously the Pope ignores the advise of Deuteronomy 13:1-5. Just this one little point causes the whole Catechism to become untrustworthy, therefore one can safely ignore the rest of the document and the whole Catholic Church with it.
Offline In His Name  
#91 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:35:22 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Babble, babble...

Matthew wrote:
The papacy, hierarchal church order and clergy, popes, cardinals, fathers, priests, monks, nuns, a paid clerical staff and human authority. Clerical robes, crowns, and seats of honor. Easter, Lent, the Nativity of St. John, the Feast of the Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas, Sunday Worship, mass, churches, crosses, religious candles, halos, the golden sunburst icons, holy water, child statues, Madonna and Child, saints, the sacred heart, reverence for relics, canonizing saints and prayers to and for the dead, petitions to Mary and saints, the adoration of Mary, infant baptism and baptismal regeneration, Eucharist, confessions, the Rosary, indulgences, purgatory, the crusades, inquisitions, and the use of torture.

The fish hats, Matthew don't forget to ask about the fish hats...

Actually, I do have a challenge for JP, one that is usually standard for this forum. JP this is the YY forum, it's primary purpose is for the discussion and study of the YY books. Yeah we get diverted once in a while and you have been one of those diversions. But since it is obvious that you won't accept any of our challenges to catholicism (cause we just don't understand)(OH! and none of our catholic acquaintances understand)(and any proof we do pull from the c. catechism is out of context); perhaps we should reverse this and have you tell us what is wrong with YY. Pick a topic, three doors, creation, Gog damn religion, timeline, anything.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Matthew  
#92 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 3:39:47 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

In His Name wrote:
The fish hats, Matthew don't forget to ask about the fish hats...

ROFL

Oh yes, the fish hat, which bears no resemblance to the attire of the Levitical priests nor the high priest! Alexander Hislop (The Two Babylons) says the two-horned mitre worn by the Pope while he sits on the high altar and is adored by the Cardinals has its origin from the priests of Dagon, the fish-god of the Philistines and Babylonians. Scripture mentions Dagon in 1 Samuel 5, and it's not a pretty passage of the Philistines.
Offline RobGuy  
#93 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 6:45:48 AM(UTC)
RobGuy

So, I guess its finally time that I responded.

Contrary to what my new username betrays, I am actually Y777, the starter of this post. I had to get a new account for various reasons, as I couldn't get into my account. I dunno why, but there you go, the reason of my absence.

So first of all, thank you to everyone who replied to the actual question I asked. Your replies were very beneficial.

Secondly, to Jpelham...

Don't call someone Satan. Come on, that is the height of insolence and sheer meanness. I know you have your excuses and what not, but clearly you wrote it for a reason, and it was very clearly directed at someone here, probably Swalchy, but whatever. What happened to "Love your neighbor as yourself?" I can pretty much guarantee you that no one here is actually the Adversary, so making those accusations is incredibly wrong. You do not make a very good case for Catholics OR the Catholic church with your vitriolic statements.

Next, before you keep accusing people of having their facts wrong (when its pretty clear they don't. Does the Pope wear a funny hat? Me thinks he does), PROVE they do. Don't just make statements like "O, thats wrong" or "You just heard that from someone who hates Catholicism, so it can't be true." We're not just going to say "O, our bad. You're right." Clearly, the Catholic church participates in the Eucharist. For cryin out loud, they (sortof) invented it! The hierarchy of the RCC, the pagan sungod symbols, the pagan festivities... all things the Catholic church participates in and teaches on. Not to mention all the blood that is on the churches hands...

I eagerly await your defense of the churches "true" teachings. Maybe everything I heard was from someone who hated catholicism?

Maybe the pope DOESN'T wear a funny hat...
Offline Noach  
#94 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 8:56:04 AM(UTC)
Noach

I am going to go ahead and chime in hear. Jpelham, why does the Vatican have a pagan obelisk sitting at its front door?

I am sorry, but Catholicism is on par with Islam. Both are religions for idiots or those who have no idea what they just signed. But it takes a special kind of idiot to try to come up with reasons why these religions have any relevance at all.

Keep up the good work jpelham.
Offline Marcus  
#95 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 12:31:48 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Hi guys I just wanted to chime in here too, and maybe go more on topic. I want to put a plug in for those that have Logos. I just got the Learn biblical greek and Hebrew program and I started studying with it and I think for anyone that has logos it is great at least the Hebrew part I have not started the Greek section yet. It teaches you what some here have intuitively learned (like Yada, KP, Swalchy and others). It teaches you how to use the logos tools to think for yourself when reading scripture.

I am pretty sure Jpel would not like the program because it allows non competent people to think for themselves.

jpelham wrote:
I am not competent to translate Greek. Have you checked this translation with someone who is, an impartial classicist? That is, one does not translate with a dictionary or lexicon.

I had to throw that dig there, I am sorry. But probably true.
Offline jpelham  
#96 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 7:48:46 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Catholicism is distinct from Islam by virtue of its belief in the categorical validity of reason. Islam allows their god to contradict himself, and be praised nonetheless, a dogmatism it shares identically with Protestant Christendom, though not the dogma. When reason finds itself at odds with doctrine, reason is sacrificed. This observation is not new, and was articulated in a speech delivered at the University of Regensburg in 2006, and promulgated worldwide. Islam responded typically, and Protestant Christendom has yet to offer a noteworthy response.

Regarding translation, what hold's for the ambitious user of Strong's concordance holds for every student of an ancient language:

“Strong’s Concordance is not a translation of the Bible nor is it intended as a translation tool. The use of Strong’s numbers is not a substitute for professional translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into English by those with formal training in ancient languages and the literature of the cultures in which the Bible was written.

The use of Strong’s numbers does not consider figures of speech, metaphors, idioms, common phrases, cultural references, references to historical events, or alternate meanings used by those of the time period to express their thoughts in their own language at the time. As such, professionals and amateurs alike must consult a number of contextual tools to reconstruct these cultural backgrounds.”

Accurate translation of any language requires considerably more than a few years of language study and reading history. My experience is with classical Chinese, the understanding of which is inseparable from an understanding of the culture.

I will be back as soon as I can, and beg your patience.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#97 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 10:22:15 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

jpelham wrote:

“Strong’s Concordance is not a translation of the Bible nor is it intended as a translation tool. The use of Strong’s numbers is not a substitute for professional translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into English by those with formal training in ancient languages and the literature of the cultures in which the Bible was written.

Which is why Strongs is way way way down on the list of tools. Yada or Swalchy do not rely on Strong's and only use it for quick reference as in software like logos a Strongs number can link you to the word in a plethora of other lexicons and better tools. We are quite aware of Strongs failings :)
Offline Swalchy  
#98 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 10:37:18 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

It should also be noted that "Strong's Concordance" wouldn't be able to help with translating anything - it's a concordance. Strong's Lexicon however is alright for a quick look at the root of a word. But no, certainly not good for translating anything.

But then, that's why I don't use it when translating :)

You make far too many assumptions, jpelham.

Don't think of us to be like the moronic Calvinists who plague the church that your wife goes to
Offline Marcus  
#99 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:48:01 AM(UTC)
Marcus

He does make far to many assumptions.

Who said anything about Strong's?

I am happy for you, you know Chinese. I am fluent in Spanish and I was raised in the Latin American culture.

What is your point?

I would not doubt if many of the people on this forum were multilingual as well.

Offline Theophilus  
#100 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:45:25 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I suspect that you're correct on many YY forum posters being multi-lingual and may in part explain the interest here in amplified translations of early manuscripts.

-Theophilus