logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Y777  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 9:21:56 AM(UTC)
Y777

For the past few months, since coming across this website and the info therein, I have sortof been straddling the fence of "remaining" in christianity (i.e. like going to church, etc.), and leaving completely. What worries me the most is, what if some of the info is wrong? I am predisposed to think Yada, KP, and the like are pretty accurate concerning the "core" of what they believe and have thus far shared with all of us, but I dunno...

It bugs me that I haven't seen the documents myself, that I don't know the history of the early ekklesia, that I am not at least mildly up to date on the DSS and Renewed Covenant research/history and manuscripts. Basically, I would like 2 things:

1-To know what sources everyone uses to come to their conclusions (obviously Yah's word, but in terms of the history of manuscripts and religion, Council of Nicea and Constantine, Pagan Gods, Goddess, and religious rituals, etc.). Basically, I want to see for myself the stuff you guys use to come to your conclusions. I know about the stuff used to translate (i.e. the list of resources Yada used in YY), the science from Gerald Schroeder, but none of the history and other stuff. Like, the original stuff from Josephus, etc. The documents themselves, in other words.

2-Corroborating research/works by other authors. I can see that this will be alot more difficult to find, but still... surely SOMEONE else, with all the information out there, has drawn the dots together, someone else must AT LEAST be on the path, in the right direction, right?

So, if anyone has the information I asked for, I would very much appreciate knowing which books, etc. to search it out in. I have about $500 to spend, I'm young and in college (and thus have unreasonable amounts of free time) and I want to know!!! Lol, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Yahuweh is faithful and loving beyond my thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, and petty human notions of what constitutes right and wrong. So high does He soar above all things that I do not even know if proclaiming Him as good is in fact good. It is certainly not adequate. So I am thankful still that He accepts my small sacrifices, my petty praises, that my words reach His mighty ears. Thank you Yahweh. May we all learn what is right in your sight, and not our own.
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 10:51:48 AM(UTC)
kp

It may (or may not) help to know, Y777, that Yada and I have radically different approaches to the practice of "Christianity." We both know that even at its best, it's flawed, errant in places, and prone to lose focus. Yada, I fear, has run into very few "Philadelphians" in his life, and between Sardis and Laodicea, is as disgusted with "the church" as it's possible to be. The result is that he does not engage in fellowship with any local group of believers, assuming that there are none (at least, not real ones) in his particular locale. And for all I know, he may be right.

I, on the other hand, meet a couple of times a week with an enthusiastic Yahweh-honoring local assembly. Do "we" get some of the vocabulary and emphasis wrong? Yes. Does the pastor know everything there is to know about Yahweh and His word? No. But I can affirm without hesitation that we love our God (and are loved by Him), love and support each other joyfully in His presence, and endeavor wholeheartedly to keep Yahshua's command to persevere. If I were to leave, what little I'm able to do now to influence and edify my brothers and sisters would become impossible. I realized a long time ago that fellowship is not about me---it's about us. I don't believe we're called to monastic isolation, even if it helps us focus on "rightly dividing the word of God." It's hard to serve your neighbor if you never go near him. It's hard to be light and salt to the world if you're cloistered in an ivory tower.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just lucky to have a "close-enough" fellowship within driving distance. But it's in a godless city that isn't all that big. I can't believe mine is unique situation. Please don't take me wrong, though: I'm not advocating compromise. The vast majority of "churches" do not honor Yahweh. But I've never (well---seldom) found it impossible to find that one rose among the thorns.

As far as your study tools are concerned, I wouldn't advise against getting too wrapped up in what our forebears did or did not say or do. They, like us, are figuring this out as they go along, and some of their takes on scripture are downright looney. That being said, most of the really old stuff (Josephus, etc) is available on the web. But filter everything you read through the truth of God's word, and pay close attention to what God's Spirit tells you as you study.

kp
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:27:14 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Y777, Here is a list of a few good resources for certain histories and such. It's important to be discerning when reading these however, while their research may be solid, their conclusions are often errant, and they attempt to promote them heavily, and it can be tricky to separate their facts from their beliefs.
For pagan influences in Christianity the following books are pretty good:
The Two Babylons -- Alexander Hyslop
Come Out of Her My People -- can't remember the author right now
Fossilized Customs -- Lew White
The Real Messiah -- can't remember the author right now
also encyclopedias do a good job, I have Britannica and it covers it, also most books on Pagan religions will discuss them, they might not connect them to the Christianized version, but the similarities are clear.

Histories are good, you mentioned Josephus, I would also recommend Tertullian.

For Manuscripts, Phillip Comfort's books on the Renewed Covenant Manuscripts are full of useful information, but be very careful as Comfort is steeped in Christianity, and twists the facts to reach his conclusions, but his facts are solid if you separate them from his conclusions. Encountering The Manuscripts would be a good one to start with.
Other good sources for the history of the Renewed Covenant and it's transmission would be
The Bible in Translation -- Can't remember the author off the top of my head.
Misquoting Jesus -- Can't remember the author right now.

As for the Dead Sea Scrolls there are several books on their history which are interesting, but if you are interested in where they differ with our current manuscripts, I would recommend The Dead Sea Scrolls, the version I have puts the places where it differs from modern manuscripts, in italics.

Also I would recommend the Logos Original Languages package. It is great for looking up word meanings and determining proper translations. Actually getting down and translating the text some is the best way to see how errant our translations are. And as Yada says, don't trust his translations check them for yourself.

Hope this helps Y777
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline jpelham  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:17:28 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Please, can you tell me where, between the time Jesus walked the earth (if then) and your exegetical work, has your understanding of Yahweh and Jesus existed in history, with your understanding of the 'canon' of Scripture?

Did Yahweh leave the numberless interim generations with a gravely deficient understanding of the Truth? Or was the truth as you understand it hidden from the pages of recorded history?

Thanks
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 7:45:40 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
Please, can you tell me where, between the time Jesus walked the earth (if then) and your exegetical work, has your understanding of Yahweh and Jesus existed in history, with your understanding of the 'canon' of Scripture?

Man has attempted to corrupt Yahuweh's Word and Yahushua's Word since the beginning. The earliest example after Yahushua being either Paul, or whoever wrote epistles such as Galatians in Paul's name, following through with the Nicolaitans who found some early success in incorporating pagan practices into the Way. Then Marcion who elevated the "writings of Paul" to Scripture. Constantine who took the Nicolaitan idea and ran with it very successfully. The Catholic Church which banned the owning of Scripture, the keeping of the feast and the Sabbath, and then went on to mandate that Scripture be in no language other than Latin, and all sermons given in Latin, when no one but the church officials spoke Latin, effectively rendering the average persons ability to read and understand Scripture nil. Not to mention the Masorites who coruted Scripture, going so far as to cover up Yahuweh's name with Adoni, and even removing his name in a number of cases.

As for where has our understanding of Yahuweh and Yahushua existed in history. There are various understandings to be found here, and we are all seeking to understand better. I don't know if there has ever been anyone in history who has my current understanding, or the understanding I had a year ago or that I will have a year from now, my understanding is constantly changing as I learn more things. If I were to take the "core" understanding that most here share I would say it is probably close to the understanding the disciples had, but I can't say that for sure because it would be based on my understanding of the understanding that they had.

I really don't understand the question though. What would it matter if I answered never, or I answered there was a group living in Bangkok in the 1200s that had this understanding? I'm afraid I don't understand the point of the question, could you please clarify.

jpelham wrote:
Did Yahweh leave the numberless interim generations with a gravely deficient understanding of the Truth? Or was the truth as you understand it hidden from the pages of recorded history?

Thanks

Yahuweh didn't do it, Yahuweh allowed man to use his free will to cover up the Truth.

Offline jpelham  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 10:00:46 AM(UTC)
jpelham

The reason I ask is this. That Yahweh would let the Truth, the full Truth of the relationship which He offers mankind, through which one apprehends His goodness and beauty and love insofar as our limited faculties allow, in answer to man's intrinsic need to know and love Him, that Yahweh would allow this to lapse for 20 centuries, until an amateur translator rediscovered the Truth, assumes a unbecoming estimation of Yahweh's paternal concern. A good father does not deny his young children's free will, but neither does he let them wander off into the wilderness for hours at a time, or days, lifetimes or centuries. Yahweh's relationship with Israel is instructive. If this then is your view of Yahweh, during the two millennia of Truth's absence, where could the billions of illiterate but humble and wholeheartedly sincere seekers of Truth find it? They evidently could not, because there was no one to offer your understanding of the Scriptures. Yahweh Who allows each of His children to enjoy and suffer the consequences of their choices, while never leaving a single one without knowledge of the way home, is a worthy Father. The most enduring understanding of Yahweh allows that every prodigal knows the way home, even the son who was not raised there. I do not see the benefit or desirability of anything less.
Offline jpelham  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 10:20:28 AM(UTC)
jpelham

I thought it was, finally, the Council of Carthage that recognized the letters of Paul to be 'canonical.'
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 11:04:55 AM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
That Yahweh would allow this to lapse for 20 centuries...assumes a unbecoming estimation of Yahweh's paternal concern.

I quite agree, jpelham. And if the seven letters recorded in Revelation 2 and 3 are what they appear to be (now that we seem so close to the end of their lessons)---a chronologically arranged prophetic look at the course of the age of the ekklesia---then it is apparent, even obvious, that for all its troubles through the last two millennia, Yahweh has always reserved for Himself a remnant, however small, who embraced the truth. Further, they arrived at this truth with far less resources available to them (and far more roadblocks in their way) than we enjoy today. I mean, if there were a few names even in Sardis who had not defiled their garments, then it is clear (at least to me) that even in the darkest days of dead religion, honest seekers were still able to find the truth. Did they adhere to the standard authorized YY vocabulary, striking out all of our horrible no-no words? No, I can guarantee that they did not. Didn't seem to matter to Yahshua. He knows our hearts.

kp
Offline jpelham  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 11:13:31 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Does any of this remnant appear in the historical record?

There also remains the issue of the billions/millions of illiterate but humble and sincere seekers of Truth. What they could find, the unadulterated Truth taught by teachers who could be recognized as such, would have to be a visible aspect of the historical terrain, or they, the ones who looked out from their hovels for bearers of Truth, the whole Truth, would not have found them. And if not, then weren't they children abandoned by Yahweh?
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 11:16:32 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
The reason I ask is this. That Yahweh would let the Truth, the full Truth of the relationship which He offers mankind, through which one apprehends His goodness and beauty and love insofar as our limited faculties allow, in answer to man's intrinsic need to know and love Him, that Yahweh would allow this to lapse for 20 centuries, until an amateur translator rediscovered the Truth, assumes a unbecoming estimation of Yahweh's paternal concern. A good father does not deny his young children's free will, but neither does he let them wander off into the wilderness for hours at a time, or days, lifetimes or centuries. Yahweh's relationship with Israel is instructive. If this then is your view of Yahweh, during the two millennia of Truth's absence, where could the billions of illiterate but humble and wholeheartedly sincere seekers of Truth find it? They evidently could not, because there was no one to offer your understanding of the Scriptures. Yahweh Who allows each of His children to enjoy and suffer the consequences of their choices, while never leaving a single one without knowledge of the way home, is a worthy Father. The most enduring understanding of Yahweh allows that every prodigal knows the way home, even the son who was not raised there. I do not see the benefit or desirability of anything less.

The Truth for the most part has always been available, but not always easy to find. Yahuweh knowing He could not interfere with man's free will and thus keep man from corrupting and covering up His Word, did the one thing He could do, he made it difficult for it to be covered up entirely by being very repetitive. But His Word has always been available, but man has found many ways to beguile people from it. Perfect understanding of Yahuweh's Word is not necessary, none of us will have that in this life, but that does not mean we are free to make up our own understanding or that any understanding is equally valuable.

I think it is entirely possible to use nothing but a simple English translation, as horrid as they are, and disprove Christianity, Judaism, Catholicism and Islam. I would say that it is also possible, so long as you read it with out the preconceived Religious notions, to use an English translation to come to understand God. The problem is most people read "the bible" not to understand it, but to confirm what they have already been told. The benefit of translating fresh and amplified, is that you can come to a better understanding of the nuances of the text and the message as well as get beyond the man made corruptions which permeate our English translation.

No one has said that you have to have this exact same understanding of Yahuweh, like I said most everyone here's understanding is constantly evolving. What we endeavor to do is to show where common held understandings are errant and inconsistent with Scripture.

So in short no Yahuweh's Word was never completely gone, just corrupted and hidden very well.

wrote:
I thought it was, finally, the Council of Carthage that recognized the letters of Paul to be 'canonical.'

While that may have been when it was officially canonized, it was promoted as Scripture well before that. Marcion who lived in the 1st Century, promoted the idea that Paul was the only True apostle and prepared and disseminated a cannon which consisted of Luke, Acts and Paul's Letters only. As far as I know this was the first, but unfortunately not the last, time Paul's letters were promoted as Scripture.

Offline James  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 11:20:51 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
Does any of this remnant appear in the historical record?

While most were probably unknown to history, I would say John Wycliffe would be a part of that remnant. A perfect example of someone who had insufficient resources, he had only the Latin Vulgate to go by, but understood enough to know that what was going on was wrong, and to attempt to help. He too believed people should read the Scriptures to understand God, and not rely on the Church. Was his understanding of God's the same as mine or anyone else here's, probably not, but he did the best with what he had, something most no one even attempts today.

Offline James  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 11:38:41 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
There also remains the issue of the billions/millions of illiterate but humble and sincere seekers of Truth.

define seeker of Truth, because to be honest most people I meet have no interest in Truth, or seeking. They are happy to go to Church once a week sing a few songs and call it good. They have no interest in reading Scripture or trying to understand it themselves, they want it spoon feed to them. So the majority of people in my opinion are not seekers of truth. Yahushua said the way is narrow and unpopular and few there are who will find it that leads to life, and the way is broad and many will find it that leads to death. I think he was incredibly accurate, the Truth is there for those that seek it, most don't however.

wrote:
What they could find, the unadulterated Truth taught by teachers who could be recognized as such, would have to be a visible aspect of the historical terrain, or they, the ones who looked out from their hovels for bearers of Truth, the whole Truth, would not have found them.

most who found the Truth throughout history have been rejected, just as the Truth is rejected today. Tell a pastor at most any Church that Christmas, and Easter are Pagan abominations that God hates, and they will either ignore you or ask you to leave. The Truth has never been popular, and most who knew it are ignored in history as they never gathered a following and were looked at as kooks.

wrote:
And if not, then weren't they children abandoned by Yahweh?

Yahuweh didn't abandon anybody, his Truth has always been there for anyone to seek. sometimes seeking has been harder than at others, but he warned us it would be that way.

Offline jpelham  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 12:01:21 PM(UTC)
jpelham

You are a bit cavalier about rather profound differences between your view and Wycliffe's. It is hard to see him as antecedent in any essential way, or any more than the Unitarians, Lutherans, Baptists, or Calvinists could claim him - in fact with considerably less justification. Thus your assertion that a remnant with the essentials of your view has persisted through the ages appears to be an article of faith.

But I must continue this later, and beg your pardon.
Offline J&M  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:14:17 AM(UTC)
J&M

If we have understood the enquiry correctly, jpelham is asking. Why the silence from Yah?
Why of all the billions who have existed over the last 2000 years have only you on YY have found the truth?

We (J&M) will try to answer, if we have misunderstood we apologise.

We don't perceive a "silent " Yahu'eh.(I was, I am, I will exist,be..)

We do not hold the opinion that only you on YY have found the truth.

Although those who connect to this forum often have a strong desire for Yah and his TRUTH, which is more difficult to perceive in a poor and erronius translation into English (in our case), from Hebrew,Greek,Aramaic, Chaldean than a better,more exact English translation/transliteration, of Yahs "physical" written words.

Our view is that of a “6000” year unchanging history of Yah.
Our view is that the events of 33 CE “changed” nothing with regards to Yah, but fulfilled his purpose in providing a permanent “way” back (which was untouched by "time") from the consequences of Edon, other than the temporary Temple/Tabernacle requirements (which were"time" sensitive).
Yahushua didn’t just “die for our sins” but for the causes of our sins in our self godship inherited from Adam in Edon.
All religion whether religious, political or social is the product of mans’ godship.

1Relationship with Yah only appertains to those who are seeking first the SPIRITUAL kingdom of Yah and his SPIRITUAL righteousness.

2If no man ever does this it will not change Yah.

3The truth is there to be found for those who seek it; Yah says “I will be found of you”.

4Yah is interested in quality not quantity.

Yah has a nation group, the “Jews”, with whom he entered into a covenant, and offered himself as their husband. But they had other practices and ideas, as are described in Torah, Prophets and Writings….Their path of religious and spiritual practices have led them away from Yah, though they would claim differently.
However He, unlike them, is faithful in keeping his side of the marriage vow (Covenant), and when they turn back once again to him, he will receive them back with great joy.

It’s the one to one relationship that has been offered by Yah over the last 6000 years that is the moot point here.

Constantine is credited with assembling christianity out of the religious, political and social smorgasbord available to him( +/- 1700 years ago). Thus laying the foundation of a great new deception; Christianity, church, Catholicism, and all its variants. Of which Wycliffe, Unitarians, Lutherans, Baptists, and Calvinists are all part.
As is any other grouping of a religious nature. .

The WORLD did not change when Yahushua ( Yah is salvation,deliverance,rescue) died on the upright pole, nothing changed because Yah does not change. Yahushua undid the events of the Garden of Eden for those who seek relationship with Yah (on his terms ).

The pigmy in the rainforest is Yah’s problem to solve. If one of them is truly seeking his creator it is Yah who will find the way to reveal himself to the seeker.

However humans’ desire/ability to enter into relationship is usually marred by religion of some sort. It is on spiritual revelation that Yah builds HIS called out (ekklesia).

The following verse has given us tremendous support over the years , when after detaching /being detached from “church” and “christianity”( and what seemed at the time " ALL religion"), we often felt so “alone”.

Eliyahu (my El is Yah) was beset by life and death issues we have not had to face , hounded by Yezabel (“Baal exalts” or “Baal is husband to” or “unchaste”) and Achav (“father’s brother” ), who with their priests of Baal were a fearsome prospect , and even Eliyahu, the prophet of Yah at the time felt “alone”.

1Ki 19:18 “and I have left in Israel seven thousand, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that hath not kissed him.” YLT

18 והשׁארתיH7604 בישׂראלH3478 שׁבעתH7651 אלפיםH505 כלH3605 הברכיםH1290 אשׁרH834 לאH3808 כרעוH3766 לבעלH1168 וכלH3605 הפהH6310 אשׁרH834 לאH3808 נשׁק׃H5401 (sorry, this keeps on coming out backwards!!)

I don’t know if this helps, but we have taken the view that there are always 7000 that are in Yah’s camp. We used to call them “true believers”!

We make no claim for where we stand before Yah , that is his judgement privilege. But trust and confidence in him seems to be increasing in our experience, by following these concepts.

The knowledge that sustained us greatly over the years was that even though’ we didn’t know who they were, there were more,”like us”- seeking FIRST the rulership of Yah in our lives and HIS righteousness (his knowledge source), according to HIS definition of these words and concepts. It took us a while longer to return to Torah (his directions).

Therefore throughout time Yah has always had a remnant, even if they didn’t know one another.

This is yet another reason his “set apart spirit”, the Spiritual Mother is so important in our lives.

We humans are physical , our “brush” with things “spiritual” , is in many cases what leads us far ,far away from Yah.

Many sincere Christians,, know their scriptures , believe they know their God, and earnestly believe in the “power of the holy spirit”. But are easily fooled and deceived into accepting almost any “benign” spiritual event as coming from God.
They are not alone.

However, without our Spiritual Mother to keep us on the straight and narrow way, to change not who we are, but who we choose to return to in “likeness and image”. We choose Yah’s “likeness and image” to be the goal.

Throughout the centuries we are sure that different terminology, language , culture etc… have been used by this “7000” , who want to walk with Yah.

Yah may choose to take on human physical form, but we must remember he is not human, we would call him Spiritual. If we are to be like him we NEED his spirit and no other, as THE constant in our lives. This is our goal.

There were plenty of living souls in the land in Eliyahu's era, but so few who even gave “lip service” to Yah. Despite the fact that his presence shone out from his temple in Jerusalem (on a highish mountain top) for all to see
Offline Richard  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:14:41 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
For what it's worth, I am inclined to agree with James where he notes that the fault lies not with Yahuweh, but with those who do not care enough to seek the Truth. The Father definitely declares, "I will be found of you." He states elsewhere, "You will search for Me, and you will find Me when you search for Me with all your heart."

If we have the resources available to us, as we do here in the USA, then our search will almost certainly involve extensive Internet and/or library research. If we live out in the untamed bush, then our resources will probably be nil and we will be forced to rely on the Set-Apart Spirit to take us by the hand an lead us through the marshy swamps of what we've been taught by tribal shamans. Those who live without resources are Yahuweh's problem, thankfully. It is saddening that they are victims of their ancestors's rejection of the Truth.

Because we are participating in this forum, debate about those who must find Yahuweh without benefit of the Internet and libraries is, in my opinion, unuseful. We obviously each have the resources we need. More important, then, is whether or not I personally am doing what I should be doing in determining what is true and what is false. Yahushua commanded us, "See that no man deceives you."

I am grateful to Yada, James, and the others who have helped steer me into a new, hope-filled understanding of Yahuweh's eternal Word.
Offline jpelham  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:25:19 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Please pardon the delay in responding to your gracious replies. A large family and work afford little time for my avocations. I do not have time now for an adequate response, only to mention the focus of my remarks when I do.

As humans we form our identity in the context of a culture, most of us unconsciously and passively, as you observe - thus the myriads of Americans undertaking to 'find themselves' in the consumerist hodgepodge of distractions we have instead of a culture (You'll recall that Plato hated democracy precisely because so very few really think about their choices. A learned priest commented thus on my discouragement at dogmatic Protestant irrationality” “Why are most Protestants Protestant?... Ignorance and prejudice. And why are most Catholics Catholic?... Ignorance and prejudice.”).

A culture does not exist without memory, memory that reaches back to something we meaningfully understand to be 'antiquity,' a remote age of ancestors whose ways of thinking about things has stood the test of time. In fact it must extend back through them and to eternity past, if it is to endow meaning/identity (Sartre conceded that without an infinite reference point, all finite reference points are absurd), and a merely transcendent reference is not adequate for us who are also flesh and blood, hence the Incarnation. Or do you not accept that “The Logos became flesh,” meaning Yahuweh Himself became the man named Yahushua, Who was fully God and fully man?

Even so, human life that does not subsist in a culture embodying a continuous heritage shared in all its unique essentials with exemplary, revered ones who came before us, nurturing, refining and transmitting our defining heritage, is described by this female punk-rock singer: “I belong to the Blank Generation. I have no beliefs. I belong to no community, tradition, or anything like that. I’m lost in this vast, vast world. I belong nowhere. I have absolutely no identity.” (G.E. Veith, Postmodern Times).

I.e., if I cannot turn to a history of my own knowledge of truths, in which is transmitted the fullness of eternal Truth continuously from the earliest horizon of history, and therefore from eternity, then I lack the context that will nurture my full humanity. Even illiterate cultures have left their mark on history. Then our task would be to reason from the facts at hand, toward identifying the unique culture/tradition that has been established and sustained by Yahuweh, and revealed fully in the Logos made flesh, Yahushua, recognizing that satan will have done his best to confuse things. Since 8.33% of Yahushua's chosen 'Apostles' were sufficiently corrupt to be complicit in His murder, we cannot expect the tradition in which the remnant is found to be any more virtuous than their community.

The prophet of Yah you mention, who felt so alone, was nonetheless “called-out” in the annals of history, as one who fecundates the culture of Yahuweh for his descendants and all who will in their turn follow The Way, which a good Father would not allow to be hidden from any of His children in any age. If every generation must reinvent the wheel, we are culturally destitute.

Excuse me again, and the lapses. I will return as soon as I can.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:56:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

Offline James  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:25:55 AM(UTC)
James
Man

wrote:
Please pardon the delay in responding to your gracious replies. A large family and work afford little time for my avocations. I do not have time now for an adequate response, only to mention the focus of my remarks when I do.

Understandable, one of the best things about the forum format is that you can carry a single conversation over days easily.

wrote:
As humans we form our identity in the context of a culture, most of us unconsciously and passively, as you observe - thus the myriads of Americans undertaking to 'find themselves' in the consumerist hodgepodge of distractions we have instead of a culture (You'll recall that Plato hated democracy precisely because so very few really think about their choices. A learned priest commented thus on my discouragement at dogmatic Protestant irrationality” “Why are most Protestants Protestant?... Ignorance and prejudice. And why are most Catholics Catholic?... Ignorance and prejudice.”).

I would agree that many humans form a part of their identity based on culture, but not the whole of their identity. I have much in common with people here who live all over the world, some more than people I live in the same neighborhood with, or went to the same schools with, and these are people spanning the globe.

wrote:
A culture does not exist without memory, memory that reaches back to something we meaningfully understand to be 'antiquity,' a remote age of ancestors whose ways of thinking about things has stood the test of time.

I have to disagree here, if history has taught us anything it is that our ancestors were wrong more than they were right. The beliefs of people 200 years ago haven’t stood the test of time. Interestingly Yahuweh’s Towrah has, it is as accurate today as it was when it was written thousands of years ago, and as we learn more it is proven to be right more.
wrote:
In fact it must extend back through them and to eternity past, if it is to endow meaning/identity (Sartre conceded that without an infinite reference point, all finite reference points are absurd), and a merely transcendent reference is not adequate for us who are also flesh and blood, hence the Incarnation.

I don’t really understand what you are saying here. A culture has to extend back infinitely for it to be of value to humans? If that is what you are saying then no culture is of value to humans, since the Universe had a beginning no culture can extend back infinitely and be true.
wrote:
Or do you not accept that “The Logos became flesh,” meaning Yahuweh Himself became the man named Yahushua, Who was fully God and fully man?

The Messiyah, was qowdesh,, a part of Yahuweh separated from the whole and set apart to fulfill a specific set of tasks.

wrote:
Even so, human life that does not subsist in a culture embodying a continuous heritage shared in all its unique essentials with exemplary, revered ones who came before us, nurturing, refining and transmitting our defining heritage, is described by this female punk-rock singer: “I belong to the Blank Generation. I have no beliefs. I belong to no community, tradition, or anything like that. I’m lost in this vast, vast world. I belong nowhere. I have absolutely no identity.” (G.E. Veith, Postmodern Times).
I.e., if I cannot turn to a history of my own knowledge of truths, in which is transmitted the fullness of eternal Truth continuously from the earliest horizon of history, and therefore from eternity, then I lack the context that will nurture my full humanity. Even illiterate cultures have left their mark on history. Then our task would be to reason from the facts at hand, toward identifying the unique culture/tradition that has been established and sustained by Yahuweh, and revealed fully in the Logos made flesh, Yahushua, recognizing that satan will have done his best to confuse things. Since 8.33% of Yahushua's chosen 'Apostles' were sufficiently corrupt to be complicit in His murder, we cannot expect the tradition in which the remnant is found to be any more virtuous than their community.

If I am understanding you correct, and I could be wrong, but the answer to “if I cannot turn to a history of my own knowledge of truths, in which is transmitted the fullness of eternal Truth continuously from the earliest horizon of history, and therefore from eternity, then I lack the context that will nurture my full humanity.” Is really simple, Towrah. The Towrah is the written record of Yahuweh’s relationship with man.
“Then our task would be to reason from the facts at hand, toward identifying the unique culture/tradition that has been established and sustained by Yahuweh, and revealed fully in the Logos made flesh, Yahushua” that is the entire purpose of this forum, for us to discuss and study as a groups Yahuweh’s Word.

wrote:
The prophet of Yah you mention, who felt so alone, was nonetheless “called-out” in the annals of history, as one who fecundates the culture of Yahuweh for his descendants and all who will in their turn follow The Way, which a good Father would not allow to be hidden from any of His children in any age. If every generation must reinvent the wheel, we are culturally destitute.

Yahuweh’s word has always been available in some form or another; it has never been hidden entirely. At times it has been much harder to find than others, but it always remained.

Coming to know Yahuweh is more about a mindset than anything, it’s that mindset that drives you to seek to know Him, that desire to discover the Truth, that desire to learn as much about Him as you can. That mindset has existed in every age, and everyone with it had access to varying amounts of information, but no matter how much they had they sought it with all their heart and all their mind. None were content with a base level of understanding, some came to know more than others because they had more to work with, but they all shared that same mindset, that same desire to KNOW HIM. Those that have that desire and that mindset, will always come to know Him, no matter what they have available to them. That is the mindset I see in so many of the contributors here, it is why I love posting here. The brothers and sisters I have met through this forum have all helped me in my quest to know Yahuweh, and I am great full to every one of them. And the people here run the gamut just as people throughout history have, we all have different resources, and have come to different conclusions in areas, but the one thing we all share is that mindset, that desire to know Yahuweh, and in my opinion that is what makes one a Yahuwdy. It’s not about how much you know and understand, but how much you want to know and understand.

Offline jpelham  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:42:03 PM(UTC)
jpelham

It would be helpful to digress for a moment, on your 'theology.' I am so very self-conscious about my terms here! Do you consider then that Yahushua only seemed to have a physical body and to physically die, and was actually incorporeal, a pure spirit, and hence could not physically die? If so, then the "the Word was made Flesh" (John 1:14) would be purely figurative. And from conception to birth and childhood he would have been a spirit 'materialized' as angels are? This requires, as I think you explained, that Yahuweh's spirit in flesh as Yahushua is a minute portion of the His/our Heavenly Father?
Offline James  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:09:17 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
It would be helpful to digress for a moment, on your 'theology.' I am so very self-conscious about my terms here! Do you consider then that Yahushua only seemed to have a physical body and to physically die, and was actually incorporeal, a pure spirit, and hence could not physically die? If so, then the "the Word was made Flesh" (John 1:14) would be purely figurative. And from conception to birth and childhood he would have been a spirit 'materialized' as angels are? This requires, as I think you explained, that Yahuweh's spirit in flesh as Yahushua is a minute portion of the His/our Heavenly Father?

There were, as I understand it, three parts to the Messiyah, Body, Soul and Spirit.

His body and soul, were just like our bodies and our souls, mortal. His spirit was Yahuweh's spirit, His spirit is what made Him God. When he was on the upright pole at the very end, His spirit left the body and soul, and rejoined with the whole of Yahuweh. This allowed for His body to die, and be buried, and for His soul to descend into Sheowl. So he suffered the consequence of sin for us, death, and accepted the penalty of sin for us, separation from Yahuweh. .

Offline jpelham  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:16:53 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
There were, as I understand it, three parts to the Messiyah, Body, Soul and Spirit.

His body and soul, were just like our bodies and our souls, mortal. His spirit was Yahuweh's spirit, His spirit is what made Him God. When he was on the upright pole at the very end, His spirit left the body and soul, and rejoined with the whole of Yahuweh. This allowed for His body to die, and be buried, and for His soul to descend into Sheowl. So he suffered the consequence of sin for us, death, and accepted the penalty of sin for us, separation from Yahuweh. .

If the Messiyah's Spirit is Yahuweh's Spirit, then if Yahuweh is The Spirit, the Spirit being in Yashushua, then wouldn't Yahushua be also wholly Yahuweh, simply Yahuweh incarnate?

If His soul went to hell (forgive my colloquialisms) but His Spirit went to heaven, then one would not say that "He" descended into hell, since just a part of Him did. And without a spirit, isn't a soul dead? Have I misunderstood?

Do you accept the Resurrection? If so were the three parts then reunited?
Offline James  
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:19:16 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
If the Messiyah's Spirit is Yahuweh's Spirit, then if Yahuweh is The Spirit, the Spirit being in Yashushua, then wouldn't Yahushua be also wholly Yahuweh, simply Yahuweh incarnate?

All of Yahuweh wasn't in Yahushua, only a portion of Him separated from the whole. The whole of Yahuweh couldn't fit into the earth let alone a single person, he is much too large for that, which is why he had to separate a part of himself from the whole, the Ruwach Ha Qodesh is the same way, She is a part of Yahuweh separated and set apart, hence Qodesh, she is the one who is with us now.

jpelham wrote:
If His soul went to hell (forgive my colloquialisms) but His Spirit went to heaven, then one would not say that "He" descended into hell, since just a part of Him did. And without a spirit, isn't a soul dead? Have I misunderstood?

You're correct it would be wrong to say that he descended, His soul descended would be more accurate. A soul separated from a spirit is mortal, but still alive. We aren't ever told when the souls will die, it would appear, at least not for everyone, that it is not at the same time as the bodies death, as it speaks of souls being in Sheowl, so Yahushua's soul descended into Sheowl.

jpelham wrote:
Do you accept the Resurrection? If so were the three parts then reunited?

The resurrection was at the fulfillment of First fruits, and the Messiyah's body, and soul were reunited there with Yahuweh's spirit, allowing Yahushua to serve as the First Fruits offering.

Offline Michael Dinofrio  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 4:30:41 AM(UTC)
Michael Dinofrio

Shabbat Shalom Yisra 'el (Those who Strive W/ God)

I believe that ( MY OPINION) Yahushua has led me to Yada him. I have just recently wondered if the Ruach is in me.

I think that my life holds the answer. I FINALLY know his NAme. That indicates to me, at least, it is LEADING me.
I think that Paul may have been genuinely thinking he was right, but we analyse the text and come up w/ problems.
When I say I come in HaShem, the name, I better do my homework. My wife makes me mad when she questions me, but when
I look at the questions, it seem to be from a higher source. I am Not a Prophet. I am a Child w/ my dad or mom guiding me.(ruach)

Always keep looking. We have been conditioned to " Take my Word For It..." just because some one says their right, doesnt mean
it's true. Love has kept us moving forward. Each Generation has got Either closer or farther from the truth. Yahweh is in charge.
Epiphianies keep happening to me WHEN I AM OPENminded. I must keep searching and moving forward till the end...

Take YaHuWeH @ his word... I quit my job when it interfered with my Shabbat and I emmediatly got a New one that I was not looking 4.

He provides

Love Michael
Matzati Et She'Ahava Nafshi
Offline jpelham  
#23 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 6:17:58 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
All of Yahuweh wasn't in Yahushua, only a portion of Him separated from the whole. The whole of Yahuweh couldn't fit into the earth let alone a single person, he is much too large for that, which is why he had to separate a part of himself from the whole, the Ruwach Ha Qodesh is the same way, She is a part of Yahuweh separated and set apart, hence Qodesh, she is the one who is with us now.

I understand. This view of Yahuweh, except the expressly feminine identification, was incorporated into John Calvin's reform. His followers expressed it in Latin: "Finitum non capax infiniti" - simply, the finite cannot contain the infinite.

This assumes that The Creator is inextricably bound to His creation, physically immersed in space and time. He would then be infinitely large in a spatial sense, physically occupying all of space, just as the "ether" was once conceived. I have always conceived Him to have all of space and time at His fingertips because, although He can penetrate space and time where and when He wills, He transcends His creation; He is the Unchangeable I AM, aware of our past, present and future, because He exists simultaneously in our past, present, and future. It would then be possible to state that Yahuweh is wholly present in Yahushua, and 'present' everywhere else as well, because He transcends the category of space-time (which are themsleves inextricably united). Perhaps you know that Joseph Smith shared your view of Yahuweh permanently embedded in space and time.

So then you reject that "The Logos became flesh," the Logos that existed before creation?
The Scriptural sources available to Jerome in 4th century or Thomas Aquinas in the 13th do not appear to be substantively different from the best we have today. Perhaps they even had superior manuscripts which are no longer extent. But if you will forgive any roughness of the following translation, it alludes to the transcendent nature of Yahuweh:

As Yahushua was teaching in the temple area He said,

“How do the scribes claim that the Messiyah is the son of David?

David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said:

The Lord said to my Lord,

‘Sit at my right hand

until I place Your enemies under Your feet.’

David himself calls him ‘Lord’;

so how is He his son?”

The great crowd heard this with delight.

You evidently acknowledge the authority of Scripture alone. This is awkward because although the Scriptures certainly commend themselves, they never do so exclusively, so this principle itself is extra-scriptural.

I plead just that I am as miserably helpless and wretched as the most pitiable sinner of our age or any other, most enviably those who heard Yahushua, or His disciples by His vested authority, declare, "I forgive your sins" (which follows necessarily from Jn. 20:23).

I need a Father Whose love is as personal and immediate as was shared by Yahushua with His disciples, and which they shared identically, by sacrament, with their disciples. I do not see how a relationship with Yahuweh that does not offer the immediate, personal experience of His love, by virtue of communion with His Incarnate Presence, can ever satisfy the essential human need to be loved and to love.

The budding sense of community here is good and nurturing to a degree, but my communion must originate in union with my heavenly Father, the most intimate union possible, and it must be as incarnate as I am, or my full being, body, soul, and spirit, is disqualified from the beatitude to which all are called while in this world.

Edited by user Friday, June 4, 2010 9:50:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: clarify

Offline James  
#24 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 10:06:26 AM(UTC)
James
Man

wrote:
I understand. This view of Yahuweh, except the expressly feminine identification, was incorporated into John Calvin's reform. His followers expressed it in Latin: "Finitum non capax infiniti" - simply, the finite cannot contain the infinite.

I use the feminine for the Set Apart Spirit, because the term used is feminine. In Hebrew Ruwach is the feminine form of Spirit. The Ruwach Ha Qowdesh is the maternal feminine part of Yahuweh’s nature.
The finite cannot contain the infinite is a good way to put it.

wrote:
This assumes that The Creator is inextricably bound to His creation, physically immersed in space and time. He would then be infinitely large in a spatial sense, physically occupying all of space, just as the "ether" was once conceived

I don’t see how it assumes this at all. Yahuweh existed prior to space and time, he is the creator of space and time, just because he can enter our universe, doesn’t mean that he must be.
wrote:
I have always conceived Him to have all of space and time at His fingertips because, although He can penetrate space and time where and when He wills, He transcends His creation; He is the Unchangeable I AM, aware of our past, present and future, because He is simultaneously present in our past, present, and future, and His 'Consciousness' or Spirit transcends time.

That is exactly as I see. He is outside of space and time, being the creator of space and time, and can enter it when and how he chooses. It is why his prophecies are 100% accurate, he exists past present and future simultaneously.
wrote:
And then for a transcendent Being - mathematics can represent such things - it is possible to state that Yahuweh is wholly present in Yahushua, and 'present' everywhere else as well.

I would disagree here, a being with the power to create the universe, could not fit entirely with in that universe. Yahuweh is not infinite in a physical sense, but rather infinite in energy, and power. That infinite energy cannot fit with in a finite universe, let alone a finite person.
wrote:
Perhaps you know that Joseph Smith shared your view of Yahuweh having an irreducibly spatial extent, just as the physical 'body' of Yahushua does.

He may have had that view, but I don’t share it with him.

wrote:
So then you reject that "The Logos became flesh," the Logos that existed before creation?

No, completely accept that the Word/Logos became flesh, but that doesn’t mean that it was the whole of Yahuweh.

wrote:
The Scriptural sources available to Jerome in 4th century or Thomas Aquinas in the 13th do not appear to be substantively different from the best we have today. Perhaps they even had superior manuscripts which are no longer extent.

Jerome was only interested in the old Latin manuscripts, and if I remember correct, didn’t read Greek or Hebrew. His Vulgate is nothing but a selective compilation of the old Latin manuscripts. I’m not very familiar with Thomas Aquinas so I can’t comment on him. What I do know is that we have uncovered many ancient manuscripts, i.e. the Dead Sea Scrolls, with in the last hundred years, also we have many more tools at our fingertips, I can do in 30 seconds with Logos what would have took Jerome hours to compile. Besides you can have all the resources in the world and not know anything.
Quote:
I plead just that I am as miserably helpless and wretched as the most pitiable sinner of our age or any other, most enviably those who heard Yahushua, or His disciples by His vested authority, declare, "Iforgive your sins" (which follows necessarily from Jn. 20:23).

As are all of us.

wrote:
I need a Father Whose love is as personal and immediate as was shared by Yahushua with His disciples, and which they shared identically, by sacrament, with their disciples. I do not see how a relationship with Yahuweh that does not offer the immediate, personal experience of His love, by virtue of communion with His Incarnate Presence, can ever satisfy the essential human need to be loved and to love.

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you need to have the kind of relationship with Yahuweh that the disciples had? I would love, and indeed look forward to the day, when we have that, but I enjoy the relationship I enjoy with him now, and enjoy getting to know him better.

wrote:
The budding sense of community here is good and nurturing to a degree, but my communion must be principally with my heavenly Father, and it must be as incarnate as I am, or my full being, body, soul, and spirit, is disqualified from the beatitude to which all are called while in this world.

Our relationship with our Father is the most important thing, but I have found having a community of people with whom I can share my journey with has helped me greatly.

Offline jpelham  
#25 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 11:32:13 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
I use the feminine for the Set Apart Spirit, because the term used is feminine. In Hebrew Ruwach is the feminine form of Spirit. The Ruwach Ha Qowdesh is the maternal feminine part of Yahuweh’s nature.
The finite cannot contain the infinite is a good way to put it.

I do not read Hebrew, and so trust that your assessment is correct at least insofar as "Ruwach Ha Qowdesh is the maternal feminine part of Yahuweh’s nature." This does not necessarily entail that it should be called 'she.' But let me leave this aside for now.

James wrote:
...Yahuweh existed prior to space and time, he is the creator of space and time, just because he can enter our universe, doesn’t mean that he must be.

...He is outside of space and time, being the creator of space and time, and can enter it when and how he chooses. It is why his prophecies are 100% accurate, he exists past present and future simultaneously.

...a being with the power to create the universe, could not fit entirely with in that universe. Yahuweh is not infinite in a physical sense, but rather infinite in energy, and power. That infinite energy cannot fit with in a finite universe, let alone a finite person.

When you use the word "fit" you presuppose physical extension, a size, which is a category that does not apply to Yahuweh if He is "outside of space and time." If He is outside of space and time, is in fact Legislator and Master of the laws of all creation, then as a strictly logical proposition, it is altogether reasonable to say that "all of Him" can be present in Yahushua, or in a small wafer of consecrated bread.

James wrote:
He (Jos. Smith) may have had that view, but I don’t share it with him.

If you understand Yahuweh to transcend space and time, then you do not. If you understand Yahuweh to be of such a nature as to be unable to "fit" into a given physical space, then you do.

James wrote:
Jerome was only interested in the old Latin manuscripts, and if I remember correct, didn’t read Greek or Hebrew. His Vulgate is nothing but a selective compilation of the old Latin manuscripts. I’m not very familiar with Thomas Aquinas so I can’t comment on him. What I do know is that we have uncovered many ancient manuscripts, i.e. the Dead Sea Scrolls, with in the last hundred years, also we have many more tools at our fingertips, I can do in 30 seconds with Logos what would have took Jerome hours to compile. Besides you can have all the resources in the world and not know anything.

Check one of the secular biographies. Jerome was a gifted polyglot for his time, if a bit temperamental. His Greek was superior and he translated the Septuagint's Hebrew sources into Latin, and apparently edited and corrected the Scriptures in Latin. But he worked from sources vastly nearer to the autographs than ours, and with respect to words , the word "Logos" for example, what Jerome would have known immediately, roots of meaning that reach deeply into the best of Greek thought, would never dawn on us.

There appears to be remarkable agreement among all manuscripts, early and late, in all essentials. I would challenge you to provide evidence of theologically significant differences, or that anyone in the world has a substantive advantage over Thomas Aquinas in understanding any essential Truth of the Scriptures.

James wrote:
I’m not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you need to have the kind of relationship with Yahuweh that the disciples had? I would love, and indeed look forward to the day, when we have that, but I enjoy the relationship I enjoy with him now, and enjoy getting to know him better.

Our relationship with our Father is the most important thing, but I have found having a community of people with whom I can share my journey with has helped me greatly.

Yes, I believe that the Logos became flesh because humanity needs a relationship with Him that excludes nether Flesh nor Spirit, every member of humanity, not only those of a privileged, brief historical epoch 2000 years ago. Must we conclude that only the blessed few needed to encounter the Logos made flesh? I need this intimacy as much as they did. Where this is offered, upon it would be founded true community, as one body in the journey of faith, supernaturally sustained.

Edited by user Friday, June 4, 2010 6:27:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: clarify

Offline James  
#26 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2010 11:01:44 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
I do not read Hebrew, and so trust that your assessment is correct at least insofar as "Ruwach Ha Qowdesh is the maternal feminine part of Yahuweh’s nature." This does not necessarily entail that it should be called 'she.' But let me leave this aside for now.

I prefer to use she in reference to the Ruwach, because when a pronoun is assigned to the Ruwach Ha Qoedesh it is alway the feminine. If our translators translated it properly you always see the Spirit presented with feminine pronoun. i realize this is not the thrust of your post, but I thought I would explain.

jpelham wrote:
When you use the word "fit" you presuppose physical extension, a size, which is a category that does not apply to Yahuweh if He is "outside of space and time." If He is outside of space and time, is in fact Legislator and Master of the laws of all creation, then as a strictly logical proposition, it is altogether reasonable to say that "all of Him" can be present in Yahushua, or in a small wafer of consecrated bread.

I think you are misunderstanding my use of fit. By fit, I do not mean in a physical sense, I mean in the sense of energy and power. Yahuweh doesn't have a physical size, he is entirely spirit, he exists in a state of pure energy so to speak. His energy is infinite, the Universe has a finite amount of energy, that which Yahuweh put into making it. So from that perspective, his infinite energy could not fit with in a finite universe.

An analogy would be to try to fit the energy of a bolt of lightning in to a human body, the human body can not contain such energy, and relativity speaking the bolt of lightning is only moderately more energetic than the human body, Yahuweh is infinitely more energetic than a human body.

jpelham wrote:
Check one of the secular biographies. Jerome was a gifted polyglot for his time, if a bit temperamental. His Greek was superior and he translated the Septuagint's Hebrew sources into Latin, and apparently edited and corrected the Scriptures in Latin. But he worked from sources vastly nearer to the autographs than ours, and with respect to words , the word "Logos" for example, what Jerome would have known immediately, roots of meaning that reach deeply into the best of Greek thought, would never dawn on us.

I don't know which biographies you have read, but according to what I have read, even in his correspondence with the Pope Jerome admits that in the compilation of his Vulgate, he used the old Latin manuscripts, and not the Greek or Hebrew. He actually complained to the Pope because he didn't want to have to choose between varying Latin manuscripts, because he knew that he would end up angering the people whose manuscripts he rejected ion favor others. not to mention the fact that he was commissioned to do his compilation by the Pope, and he was a Catholic, he was needless to say extremely biased. The fact that his Vulgate varies so much from the Dead Sea Scrolls, documents which date to around 200 BCE, shows that his work was unreliable.

jpelham wrote:
There appears to be remarkable agreement among all manuscripts, early and late, in all essentials. I would challenge you to provide evidence of theologically significant differences, or that anyone in the world has a substantive advantage over Thomas Aquinas in understanding any essential Truth of the Scriptures.

If you want to know where the early and late manuscripts vary, read YY, or read Swalchy's translations.

The fact that Thomas Aquinas was Catholic tells me that he didn't understand the essential Truths of Scripture, had he, he never would have accepted the authority of the Pope. Catholicism is so blatantly against Scripture that that anyone who works in the Catholic establishment has no credibility when it comes to Scripture, in my eyes.

jpelham wrote:
Yes, I believe that the Logos became flesh because humanity needs a relationship with Him that excludes nether Flesh nor Spirit, every member of humanity, not only those of a privileged, brief historical epoch 2000 years ago. Must we conclude that only the blessed few needed to encounter the Logos made flesh? I need this intimacy as much as they did. Where this is offered, upon it would be founded true community, as one body in the journey of faith, supernaturally sustained.

If it's going to take the physical incarnation of Yahushua for you to enjoy a relationship with Yahuweh, I think you are going to be waiting a while.

Offline jpelham  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:42:05 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
I prefer to use she in reference to the Ruwach, because when a pronoun is assigned to the Ruwach Ha Qoedesh it is alway the feminine. If our translators translated it properly you always see the Spirit presented with feminine pronoun. i realize this is not the thrust of your post, but I thought I would explain.

Thank you. Then the most reliable Greek texts use the feminine pronoun, and all of the Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, and other translations have brazenly changed it to the male?

James wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding my use of fit. By fit, I do not mean in a physical sense, I mean in the sense of energy and power. Yahuweh doesn't have a physical size, he is entirely spirit, he exists in a state of pure energy so to speak. His energy is infinite, the Universe has a finite amount of energy, that which Yahuweh put into making it. So from that perspective, his infinite energy could not fit with in a finite universe.

An analogy would be to try to fit the energy of a bolt of lightning in to a human body, the human body can not contain such energy, and relativity speaking the bolt of lightning is only moderately more energetic than the human body, Yahuweh is infinitely more energetic than a human body.

You refer to "energy" as a physical quantity which, although Yahuweh surely has infinite energy at His command, again identifies Him with physical properties that would trap Him in space and time. That is, you have exchanged 'mass' for 'energy,' which is a different name for the same thing.

The medieval debates on how many angels can fit on the head of a pin were not without genuine warrant. The point is that an infinite number of spiritual beings could do this, i.e., all of Yahuweh's infinitude can both be present in the period at the end of this sentence and, because He is transcendent, be immediately present at every other point of space. This is an intrinsic property of transcendence.

James wrote:
I don't know which biographies you have read, but according to what I have read, even in his correspondence with the Pope Jerome admits that in the compilation of his Vulgate, he used the old Latin manuscripts, and not the Greek or Hebrew. He actually complained to the Pope because he didn't want to have to choose between varying Latin manuscripts, because he knew that he would end up angering the people whose manuscripts he rejected ion favor others. not to mention the fact that he was commissioned to do his compilation by the Pope, and he was a Catholic, he was needless to say extremely biased. The fact that his Vulgate varies so much from the Dead Sea Scrolls, documents which date to around 200 BCE, shows that his work was unreliable.

I think I agreed with you, that Jerome edited existing Latin manuscripts of what are commonly said to constitute the New Testament, presumably based on his confidence in their reliability. Not so of the 'Old 'Testament.' His Greek was excellent and Hebrew was acquired later but apparently with little difficulty, under Jewish scholars.

James wrote:
If you want to know where the early and late manuscripts vary, read YY, or read Swalchy's translations.

The fact that Thomas Aquinas was Catholic tells me that he didn't understand the essential Truths of Scripture, had he, he never would have accepted the authority of the Pope. Catholicism is so blatantly against Scripture that that anyone who works in the Catholic establishment has no credibility when it comes to Scripture, in my eyes.

I was told this about Catholicism by some well educated leaders of the Presbyterian church I used to attend. Their concern was touching and sincere, but they had never looked beyond what someone else had told them. I set out to study this apostate church so reviled by 'Christians' and the secular world, and found that, apart from the two points I will mention, they condemned a preposterously distorted conception of Catholicism. I very gently urge you to trust no one's estimation of an ecclesial body to which they do not belong. Check the sources yourself, dispassionately, although I know this is not easy - or natural. Those who most distort the dogma of the Catholic Church are very often former members. This is curiously not true of former Protestants, like the great historian Edward Gibbon for example.

Let me ask, in what ways did Yahushua most offend those who encountered him? You will see that it was two ways preeminently. 1st, not that He performed miracles or claimed that sins could be forgiven, but that He, a man who collected dirt on His feet like anyone else and wore the same dusty robes, is Yahuweh, that His followers had to humble themselves before absolute, divine authority in a living, breathing man who looked like any other man. This requires a completely unique kind of faith (or relationship). 2nd, many disciples who had followed and watched and listened to Him for days, at least suspecting that He was who He claimed to be, disciples who had seen 5 loaves multiplied into food for a multitude just a short while earlier, left in disgust when He said "My flesh is truly food and My blood is truly drink." All but the 12 left Him. These have been the principal offenses from that day until now. Protestant pride still bristles at the claim of forgiveness of sins by another man, and is repulsed by the idea of eating what is in some mysterious way "truly flesh."

James wrote:
If it's going to take the physical incarnation of Yahushua for you to enjoy a relationship with Yahuweh, I think you are going to be waiting a while.

I am astonished and unsettled by Yahushua's words at the Temple in Capernaum (Jn. 6), but I trust in the unthinkable gift of love they bespeak.

You seem to presuppose a conspiracy that bridged theological chasms to largely obscure the truth of Yahuweh and Yahushua from the time of the Incarnation until the appearance of the Yada Yahweh community. Yahuweh would not have let so many of His sheep stray so hopelessly far, without shepherds who knew the true Way, not in any age. Man's pride and free will have strayed from the start. But a god who would allow the fullness of his love to be completely obscured by pretense and hypocrisy for 2 millennia is a feeble god, and certainly not the Yahuweh of Israel. According to Yahushua's most insistent prayer, the community of His followers would remain visible to "the world" until the end of time (Jn. 17).

The life of the Way, in communion with Yahuweh, cannot be other than as Yahushua ordered it. He told His disciples that they are to forgive sins with His authority (the 1st offense - followers accepting, in the physical person of a man, Yahuweh's authority to forgive sins), and unless they eat His flesh and drink His blood they have no life in them (the 2nd offense - , the Romans charged cannibalism). Where these appear, there is the Way, and nowhere else. They appear in "Orthodoxy" and "Catholicism." And only the latter is founded upon the Rock, which also remains as much an offense now as it was then.

One can read the character and even moral substance of a person in their prose (I cringe...). If you read any of the writings of Pope Benedict with an eye to understanding why he takes the stand he does, or especially John Paul II's "Faith and Reason," a profound and impeccably rigorous, scholarly exploration of the fulfillment of our human nature and needs, then if you reject their Catholicism, you do so honestly.

The "Sacrament of Confession" quite literally restored me to life, and the "Sacrament of Holy Communion" offers the physical relationship with Yahushua that has been accepted with inexpressible gratitude for 2000 years, a union with His Spirit and flesh that is our best glimpse of heaven. I can truly live with no less.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:49:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:30:56 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
Thank you. Then the most reliable Greek texts use the feminine pronoun, and all of the Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, and other translations have brazenly changed it to the male?

The oldest Greek sources use a placeholder, so the Greek equivalent is not written out on any of the oldest manuscripts. The translator’s decision to render it in the male is just that an arbitrary decision based on no facts.
jpelham wrote:
You refer to "energy" as a physical quantity which, although Yahuweh surely has infinite energy at His command, again identifies Him with physical properties that would trap Him in space and time. That is, you have exchanged 'mass' for 'energy,' which is a different name for the same thing.

I use energy merely as a metaphor, and as we all know metaphors are imperfect and when you try to make them walk they always fall down.
jpelham wrote:
The medieval debates on how many angels can fit on the head of a pin were not without genuine warrant. The point is that an infinite number of spiritual beings could do this, i.e., all of Yahuweh's infinitude can both be present in the period at the end of this sentence and, because He is transcendent, be immediately present at every other point of space. This is an intrinsic property of transcendence.

If all of Yahuweh was in Yahushua, there would be no reason to call Him Qowdesh, a word which means separated and set apart, the word is perfectly apt however if you apply it as Yahushua was a part of Yahuweh separated from the whole, and set apart. So we can argue in philosophical circles, or we can look at the text that was given, and analyze what he said, in which case one understanding fits, and the other doesn’t.
jpelham wrote:
I think I agreed with you, that Jerome edited existing Latin manuscripts of what are commonly said to constitute the New Testament, presumably based on his confidence in their reliability. Not so of the 'Old 'Testament.' His Greek was excellent and Hebrew was acquired later but apparently with little difficulty, under Jewish scholars.

Either way, an analysis of his translation/compilation against the oldest manuscripts in the original language shows that his Vulgate is extremely erroneous. And just like with Aquinas the fact that he was a Catholic destroys all of his credibility with me in terms of his understandings of Scripture.
Anyone who would take ten minutes to study even the modern English translations can see there is no basis for a Pope, then if they were to take another ten minutes and study a little on the history of pagan religions they would see that the Pope as well as most everything else associated with Catholicism has a Pagan origin. So a man who didn’t recognize any of that, and submitted to the authority of the Pope, obviously doesn’t have an understanding of Scripture.
jpelham wrote:
I was told this about Catholicism by some well educated leaders of the Presbyterian church I used to attend. Their concern was touching and sincere, but they had never looked beyond what someone else had told them. I set out to study this apostate church so reviled by 'Christians' and the secular world, and found that, apart from the two points I will mention, they condemned a preposterously distorted conception of Catholicism. I very gently urge you to trust no one's estimation of an ecclesial body to which they do not belong. Check the sources yourself, dispassionately, although I know this is not easy - or natural. Those who most distort the dogma of the Catholic Church are very often former members. This is curiously not true of former Protestants, like the great historian Edward Gibbon for example.

I grew up in a Catholic family; all of my relatives on my father’s side are Catholics. But beyond that I have taken the time to study Catholic doctrine, and the history of the Catholic Church. Besides, it doesn’t take more than an understanding of Scripture to see that the Catholic Church is not what Yahuweh intended. And as I pointed out it doesn’t take much study to see that most every part of Catholicism has a Pagan origin.
Now, that is not to say that Protestants are any better. The protestant churches have rejected the authority of the Pope, and some of the Catholic traditions, but beyond that they have not left religion and continue to engage in the Pagan practices started by the Catholic Church.
jpelham wrote:
1st, not that He performed miracles or claimed that sins could be forgiven, but that He, a man who collected dirt on His feet like anyone else and wore the same dusty robes, is Yahuweh, that His followers had to humble themselves before absolute, divine authority in a living, breathing man who looked like any other man. This requires a completely unique kind of faith (or relationship).

While His stating that he was Yahuweh was offensive to the religious leaders at the time, he never had His follower humble themselves before Him. He walked with them, conversed with them, and taught them, they were not groveling at His feet.
jpelham wrote:
2nd, many disciples who had followed and watched and listened to Him for days, at least suspecting that He was who He claimed to be, disciples who had seen 5 loaves multiplied into food for a multitude just a short while earlier, left in disgust when He said "My flesh is truly food and My blood is truly drink." All but the 12 left Him. These have been the principal offenses from that day until now. Protestant pride still bristles at the claim of forgiveness of sins by another man, and is repulsed by the idea of eating what is in some mysterious way "truly flesh."

If by “what is in some mysterious way "truly flesh."” You are referring to the Catholic belief that the wafer of bread is miraculously being transformed in to the “body of Christ” then I would agree with the Protestants, as this is a ridiculous notion, which is never even hinted at in Scripture, and communion is a pagan ritual.
If that is not what you mean by it, then I apologize for the assumption, and need clarification.
jpelham wrote:
You seem to presuppose a conspiracy that bridged theological chasms to largely obscure the truth of Yahuweh and Yahushua from the time of the Incarnation until the appearance of the Yada Yahweh community.

I presuppose no such thing, and have stated no such belief. Yahuweh’s Word has always been there, man has attempted to corrupt and conceal it, quite well, and most men are too lazy and indifferent to seek it out. Religion has done everything within its power to insure that people do not understand Yahuweh’s Word, they indoctrinate their members and pacify them. By in large the average Christian knows no more about Scripture than what they are told each Sunday from their pastor. They don’t read Scripture for themselves, they don’t study it in its entirety, and when they do read they read to reinforce what they have already been taught.
And while I believe that people have conspired to hide Yahuweh’s Word, I don’t believe that it was all one. Each religion that derives its authority from Yahuweh’s Scriptures is independent, and while their goals have been the same, to corrupt and hide Yahuweh’s Word, they have done it independent of each other, and each for their own advantage, and not in concert together.
jpelham wrote:
Yahuweh would not have let so many of His sheep stray so hopelessly far, without shepherds who knew the true Way, not in any age.

Yahuweh lets man do what man will do; it is the essence of Free Will. And while he was there for those that sought Him, at times those were few, just as it is today. But Yahushua told us it would be this way. He told us the path was narrow and few would find it.
jpelham wrote:
Man's pride and free will have strayed from the start.

Awmane
jpelham wrote:
But a god who would allow the fullness of his love to be completely obscured by pretense and hypocrisy for 2 millennia is a feeble god, and certainly not the Yahuweh of Israel.

You have built a straw man, I have concede from the beginning that His Word has been available, and that there have been those that have come to know Him.
But facts are facts; God’s Word has been corrupted by man. The fact that the oldest manuscripts vary so much from the modern ones, tells us that either 1)Yahuweh allowed them to be corrupted then, and then fixed them over time, or 2)Yahuweh allowed them to be corrupted over time, and they were right then. Either way He allowed His Word to be corrupted. Why, because man has free will, and Yahuweh will not stop man from using his free will.
Yahuweh’s Word has been available; people have come to know Him throughout all of recorded History.
And your reasoning ignores the fact that in the thousands of years between ‘Adam and ‘Abraham, no more than a handful of people knew Yahuweh or had a relationship with Him. If he allowed it to occur then why do you insist that he didn’t allow it now? Yahuweh is not interested in quantity; he is interested in quality of relationship. If someone isn’t interested in investing the time to get to know Him, why would he want to invest the time to get to know them.
jpelham wrote:
According to Yahushua's most insistent prayer, the community of His followers would remain visible to "the world" until the end of time (Jn. 17).

I just read all of John 17, in 6 different translations, I don’t know what translation you are using, but I didn’t find that in any of them. Perhaps you cited it wrong, but if you would please give me a chapter in verse that says that I will look at in the context and then respond.
jpelham wrote:
The life of the Way, in communion with Yahuweh, cannot be other than as Yahushua ordered it.

Yahushua was Torah observant and told His disciples to be the same. Something the Catholic Church is not.
Not to mention the fact that Matthew 23:8 is a pretty condemnatory verse on the Catholic Church whose leader is the Pope, which means Father, and whose priests are called Father.
Matthew 23:8 wrote:
"Be not called Rabbi for only One is your Master - the Messiah, and you are all brethren. And do not call men Father on earth, for only One is your Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called exalted leader, teacher or judge for only One is your leader, teacher and judge - the Messiah."

jpelham wrote:
He told His disciples that they are to forgive sins with His authority (the 1st offense - followers accepting, in the physical person of a man, Yahuweh's authority to forgive sins),

How exactly is this supposed to transfer to Catholic priests having the authority to forgive sins? This was told to His disciples, they never, at least to my recollection, told this to those who taught them, and it was never implied. And if that were the case, then all who are followers of Yahushua would have the ability to forgive with His authority, not just a certain select group.
jpelham wrote:
unless they eat His flesh and drink His blood they have no life in them (the 2nd offense - , the Romans charged cannibalism).

Since there is no record of the disciples ever physically consuming the flesh and blood of Yahushua, I think it is pretty safe to assume that this was meant symbolically.
jpelham wrote:
Where these appear, there is the Way, and nowhere else. They appear in "Orthodoxy" and "Catholicism." And only the latter is founded upon the Rock, which also remains as much an offense now as it was then.

The Catholic Church is not founded on Shimon Kephas’. It was founded by Constantine, a pagan general with ambitions of being king. The Catholic Church engaged in the activity that the Nicolaiatians promoted and Yahushua said that he HATED them for, which is incorporating Pagan practices into the Way. The Rock had nothing to do with the founding of the Catholic Church.
jpelham wrote:
One can read the character and even moral substance of a person in their prose (I cringe...). If you read any of the writings of Pope Benedict with an eye to understanding why he takes the stand he does, or especially John Paul II's "Faith and Reason," a profound and impeccably rigorous, scholarly exploration of the fulfillment of our human nature and needs, then if you reject their Catholicism, you do so honestly.

Yes Benedict has great moral character, just look at how well he condemned an turned over the pedophile priests, oh wait, he did no such thing, in fact he did everything in his power as a cardinal to ensure that they were not punished. Benedict’s moral authority has gone right out the window with the Church’s inaction in turning over these sick perverted pedophiles. You can find any number of stories showing how he along with many other members of the Church attempted to cover up incidents of atrocious acts so as to not make the Church look bad.
Besides, even if he were the nicest most descent man in the world, it doesn’t make his understanding of Scripture correct, or his authority divine. It doesn’t change one bit the fact that most every Catholic practice is derived from Pagan religions.
wrote:
The "Sacrament of Confession" quite literally restored me to life, and the "Sacrament of Holy Communion" offers the physical relationship with Yahushua that has been accepted with inexpressible gratitude for 2000 years, a union with His Spirit and flesh that is our best glimpse of heaven. I can truly live with no less.

I’m happy for you, but I would say that you have accepted that which makes you fill good, as opposed to that which is true and reliable.

Offline jpelham  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:47:30 AM(UTC)
jpelham

If the Greek words were placeholders, then neither is the feminine mandated, and if Yahuweh is one, then it appears somewhat problematical to identify Him, a person, with another female person, a “she,” while retaining a coherent idea of unity. The male convention does not suffer this confusion, even if what could be called feminine attributes are associated with Yahuweh.

Certainly Yahushua, Who washed His disciples' feet, did not make them humble themselves before Him. Yet it is also true that acknowledging the absolute authority of Yahuweh in the person of an ordinary looking man, accepting His words as the words of Yahuweh Himself, requires the same humble acceptance accorded to Yahuweh Himself. This is what caused the Pharisees et al to rend their tunics and condemn Him as a blaspheming madman. When the disciples said later to the early followers of the Way, “I absolve you of your sins in the name of Yahushua, and by His authority..,” surely they were met with the same outrage by those who did not believe. Identically this has remained a preeminently insufferable offense of the Catholic Church.

You state that Yahuweh's Word has never been lost to history. We are using the same Word differently. I do not deny your assertion that the Scriptures were available throughout history. But the Word, which is Yahushua, and is never in Scripture identified exclusively with a book (as asserted by the Protestant doctrine of 'sola scriptura'), and His body, the Church (or Ekklesia, pardon me) did, in your view, disappear from the record of history. Yahushua's priestly prayer vouchsafed exactly the visible Church (See Jn. 17:11-23, especially verses 20-21). The human need of identity, in a culture, requires it.

You cannot look back and see yourself as the continuation of a legacy winding through the record of history, however narrowly, to the time when Yahushua walked the byways of Palestine. Yahushua became flesh precisely because we need the Incarnation, the body of Christ that is visible "to the world" (Jn. 17) even when it has shrunk to a persecuted, reviled, and minute remnant. We in every age have the same need, and Yahuweh's answer must be the same or He is not the One in whom there is no change. He need not have thwarted man’s free will, excepting an occasional Saul of Tarsis, to ensure this.

Your repugnance at the absurd prospect of eating the flesh of Christ is understandable, and is the continuation of a legacy that winds broadly through the record of history, to Yahushua's utterance at the synagogue of Capernaum, when even those who had believed everything else finally said, "This is too much, who can listen?!" And they went away disgusted. Peter evidently thought this a preposterous notion too, but his faith prevailed. It does not appear that John 6 could be more unequivocal.

Your assessment of Benedict XVI's conduct in response to the pedophile scandal is not well informed. Also, it is mainly a scandal of homosexual priests, with teenage and older males.

Your dismissive view of the sacramental life of faith, as chosen because it makes me “feel good," is not altogether unfounded. I would only offer that Yahushua evidently wanted us to enjoy this feeling, or He would not have sent His disciples out to administer the Sacrament of Confession (Jn 20:23 is quite clear).

The sincerity of your doctrinal commitment is very clear and admirable. And I would give this much more time and discussion if my work and family were not so pressing. Please forgive the unforgivable presumption in what I am about to write. I appeal bluntly to your obvious intellectual integrity: do not conflate the teachings of the Catholic Church with the conduct of family members who claimed to be Catholic. It is exceedingly difficult to do this, especially in the absence of any conciliatory gesture of remorse, but it is exceedingly important. Benedict XVI admitted recently,
”there is also the fact that attacks on.. the Church come not only from without, but the sufferings of the Church come precisely from within the Church, from the sin existing within the Church. … today we are seeing it in a terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin within the Church, and that the Church thus has a deep need to relearn penance, to accept purification, to learn forgiveness on the one hand, but also the need for justice. Forgiveness does not replace justice. In a word, we need to relearn precisely this essential: conversion, prayer, penance and the theological virtues.”

I ask your pardon of the lapses. I lack time for a proper editing. Christ's peace be with you, all of you at Yada Yahweh.
Offline Matthew  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:07:18 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
jpelham wrote:
If the Greek words were placeholders, then neither is the feminine mandated, and if Yahuweh is one, then it appears somewhat problematical to identify Him, a person, with another female person, a “she,” while retaining a coherent idea of unity. The male convention does not suffer this confusion, even if what could be called feminine attributes are associated with Yahuweh.

I'll let James debate the rest but I'll just have my quick little say here: The placeholders were used in place of Hebrew words they wanted to preserve and to point people in the right direction when it comes to understanding Scripture. In this case the Hebrew the word ruach, from which we get "spirit," is a feminine noun.
Offline jpelham  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:44:34 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Matthew wrote:
I'll let James debate the rest but I'll just have my quick little say here: The placeholders were used in place of Hebrew words they wanted to preserve and to point people in the right direction when it comes to understanding Scripture. In this case the Hebrew the word ruach, from which we get "spirit," is a feminine noun.

This is interesting, and I know a great deal more about Scripture than I did before visiting YY. But you did not address the unity issue. I do not know your view of the Trinity. Since James conceives Yahushua to have only a portion of Yahuweh, you would not consider Yahuweh and Yahushua to be equal. Do you believe that He is one? If so, but, like Yahushua, "Rauch" also is just another portion of Yahuweh, then using the feminine pronoun is not problematical. I can refer to my arm as "she" without impugning my gender. If one accepts the ordinary understanding of the Trinity, this would confound unity.
Offline Matthew  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:48:53 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

jpelham wrote:
Your assessment of Benedict XVI's conduct in response to the pedophile scandal is not well informed. Also, it is mainly a scandal of homosexual priests, with teenage and older males.

I'm not trying to protect the Catholic Church here in general but about 10 years ago I worked with a married Christian guy at Avis rent-a-car. He went to a typcal "on-fire-for-Jesus" church, which at the same time I attended a similar church down the same street. He was a part of the worship band and through his "trusting" nature lured a young boy into being sodomised in exchange for an ice-cream. He promptly got jail time because the boy told his mother soon afterwards after she asked him where he got the ice-cream. It happens regardless of beliefs and casts an incredibly bad light on anything to do with Scripture and believers. But I do acknowledge the Catholic Church, and Christians and Jews along with it by association of Scripture, are a serious target by the media, especially by Humanists.
Offline jpelham  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:04:39 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
I grew up in a Catholic family; all of my relatives on my father’s side are Catholics. But beyond that I have taken the time to study Catholic doctrine, and the history of the Catholic Church. Besides, it doesn’t take more than an understanding of Scripture to see that the Catholic Church is not what Yahuweh intended. And as I pointed out it doesn’t take much study to see that most every part of Catholicism has a Pagan origin.
Now, that is not to say that Protestants are any better. The protestant churches have rejected the authority of the Pope, and some of the Catholic traditions, but beyond that they have not left religion and continue to engage in the Pagan practices started by the Catholic Church.

If this were true, your first mission would have been, before any of your worthy tasks here at YY or anywhere else, to inform your father (& mother?) that he is the victim of a deception that imperils his soul and the souls of everyone under his influence. Have you done this?

And may I ask if, when you took "time to study Catholic doctrine, and the history of the Catholic Church," you had already committed yourself to another way, a way that had welcomed you as you had not felt welcomed before, and having already passed judgment on the RC Church you left?

Edited by user Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:27:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jpelham  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:12:49 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Matthew wrote:
... He was a part of the worship band and through his "trusting" nature lured a young boy. ... It happens regardless of beliefs and casts an incredibly bad light on anything to do with Scripture and believers.

Thank you for adding some balance. Yet satan himself knew Scripture marvelously well, and quoted it, but he did not cast a bad light on it. If someone were to learn of Scripture only from him, however, or someone as faithless, if that someone were searching sincerely for love, he would likely look no further. This is a grave and common problem.
Offline Matthew  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:18:44 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

jpelham wrote:
This is interesting, and I know a great deal more about Scripture than I did before visiting YY. But you did not address the unity issue. I do not know your view of the Trinity. Since James conceives Yahushua to have only a portion of Yahuweh, you would not consider Yahuweh and Yahushua to be equal. Do you believe that He is one? If so, but, like Yahushua, "Rauch" also is just another portion of Yahuweh, then using the feminine pronoun is not problematical. I can refer to my arm as "she" without impugning my gender. If one accepts the ordinary understanding of the Trinity, this would confound unity.

Sorry if I missed your overall point about unity but from my little understanding I believe there is only one God, who's name is Yahweh. I also believe He has manifested Himself in the form of the Spirit (with feminine characteristics) and as Yahshua (the Son, the Child) to complete the picture, along with other manifestations.

Passages like Genesis 18:1 say that Yahweh appeared in the form of man, in this case to Abraham. It doesn't say "the Lord" appeared to Abraham but says "Yahweh" appeared (well, in the Hebrew letters). The question we need to ask is why does it say "Yahweh appeared" and not "Yahshua appeared?" Well, to me, Yahshua is Yahweh in human form, just like we are, without any inherent powers of our own, in this case setting an example for us by relying 100% on the Spirit within Him. Yahweh took upon Himself the Name of Yahshua is as it described His earthly mission, that of being Yah's Saves, or Yahweh is Salvation as some put it. Hence when He appeared prior to His human walk on earth He used His Name of Yahweh.

The church portray the Trinity as three masculine guys (or stick Mary instead in place of the Spirit), which is contrary to God's nature, that of understanding Him through family. In this case the pagans got it right, for example through their creation of Nimrod (father), Astarte (mother) and Tammuz (child). I'm assuming Satan knew Yahweh, hence why he tried to counterfeit God's nature in the form pagan deities, he even got the RCC to catapult Mary to divine status, supplanting the motherly nature of the Spirit.

The Catholic Church seem to portray Yahweh as a God who commands to be worshipped, a God who demands submission, and a God who's willing to take a bribe in exchange for forgiveness (sorry to be so blunt concerning priestly behaviour). In Scripture neither of these are true. From my understanding God never seems to command to be worshiped, instead He only asks that when we worship we should worship/respect/honour Him and not some false god, the difference being choice. God even says His Children will sit on His throne with Him, whereas the Church tend to put people on their knees before God rather than standing upright with Him through the work of Yahshua. Yahweh wants us to know Him as we would know our own familes, especially our parents, by honouring and respecting our father's and mother's, in this case respecting our Father (Yahweh) and Mother (Spirit) so that we can prolong our lives (live forever with Him) <-- a paraphrase of a Commandment, I think the fifth one. Hence why God is so protective of us keeping the family unit. Keeping the family unit helps us to know Him. Plus the Torah is filled with passages related to one's father, mother and siblings, I.E. Exodus 21:15,17 22:30, 23:19, Leviticus 20:19, 22:27, etc. all of which have deep spiritual significance (see www.theownersmanual.net for more) if only we would take a look.

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread or gone somewhat off topic, but this is a summary of how I see God's nature.
Offline jpelham  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:29:17 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Matthew wrote:
The church portray the Trinity as three masculine guys (or stick Mary instead in place of the Spirit), which is contrary to God's nature, that of understanding Him through family. In this case the pagans got it right, for example through their creation of Nimrod (father), Astarte (mother) and Tammuz (child). I'm assuming Satan knew Yahweh, hence why he tried to counterfeit God's nature in the form pagan deities, he even got the RCC to catapult Mary to divine status, supplanting the motherly nature of the Spirit.

The Catholic Church seem to portray Yahweh as a God who commands to be worshipped, a God who demands submission, and a God who's willing to take a bribe in exchange for forgiveness (sorry to be so blunt concerning priestly behaviour). In Scripture neither of these are true.

I very much appreciate your comments. I very respectfully note that, although some who profess first hand knowledge of Catholicism might say such things as you've included above, none of this is true of Catholic teaching. There are reasons one might reject it, but non-Catholics virtually never cite these reasons. You might consider the two I discussed above. If you want to effectively criticize RC doctrine, you really should study the Catechism of the Catholic Church, charitably. You'll probably be shocked at the difference between what you've been told (perhaps by someone claiming to be Catholic) and what is actually taught.

Note for example that Mary, the blessed Mother of Yahushua, was inseminated by the Holy Spirit. Its 'feminine' attributes notwithstanding, the Holy Spirit thus cannot be considered female. Yahushua was born under the law; hence His Father must be the spouse of His mother. The Torah does not permit anything less.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:23:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#37 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:51:56 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:

Well Matthew has already done a great job of answering this one for me, thank you Matthew. But to reiterate it, one of the main reasons the placeholders were used was to convey words that couldn’t be accurately and completely conveyed in Greek, the read would have to use the Hebrew word that the placeholder represented, it also forced them to look at the Torah, Prophet and Writings for answers, the same place Yahushua sent people for answers.

jpelham wrote:
Certainly Yahushua, Who washed His disciples' feet, did not make them humble themselves before Him. Yet it is also true that acknowledging the absolute authority of Yahuweh in the person of an ordinary looking man, accepting His words as the words of Yahuweh Himself, requires the same humble acceptance accorded to Yahuweh Himself.

And since in your previous post this was obviously a link to us now confessing to a Priest and accepting the authority of Yahuweh in the form of a man/men, i.e. the Pope and the Church, where in Scripture do you derive the authority for any man other than Yahushua?
[qutoe=jpelham]This is what caused the Pharisees et al to rend their tunics and condemn Him as a blaspheming madman.

Actually the ripping of their tunics and condemnation was the Pharisees reation to Him saying Yahuweh’s name, something they condemned,.
jpelham wrote:
When the disciples said later to the early followers of the Way, “I absolve you of your sins in the name of Yahushua, and by His authority..,” surely they were met with the same outrage by those who did not believe. Identically this has remained a preeminently insufferable offense of the Catholic Church.

The disciples were persecuted by the Jews because they proclaimed that Yahushua was the Messiyah, something the Jewish religious leaders couldn’t tolerate because it was a threat to their power, and they were persecuted by the Roman’s because they were promoting a anti-religious system which would affect their pagan money making schemes something they couldn’t have.

jpelham wrote:
You state that Yahuweh's Word has never been lost to history. We are using the same Word differently. I do not deny your assertion that the Scriptures were available throughout history. But the Word, which is Yahushua, and is never in Scripture identified exclusively with a book (as asserted by the Protestant doctrine of 'sola scriptura'), and His body, the Church (or Ekklesia, pardon me) did, in your view, disappear from the record of history. Yahushua's priestly prayer vouchsafed exactly the visible Church (See Jn. 17:11-23, especially verses 20-21). The human need of identity, in a culture, requires it.

You say that Yahushua is never identified exclusively with a book in Scripture, I would agree Scripture never comes out right and says Yahushua is X, but the Word of God, the Word of Yahuweh is consistently used for the Torah, and Yahushua came for the purpose of fulfilling the Torah, when he references Scripture it is always the Torah, Prophet and Writings. Now where does he ever give authority to an organization, a pope, or any priests, the only priests mentioned in Scripture are the Levites, and their job was to carry out the Temple practices. Yahuweh also told us that if anyone teaches something in His name that is not consistent with the Torah, that person is a false prophet.
As Yada points out a number of times in YY, any religion that claims its authority based on Yahuweh’s Scriptures, and contradicts them in anyway, is caught in a catch 22. Since the Catholic Church contradicts Scripture in so many ways, and they claim their authority based off of Scripture, they are wrong. If Scripture is true, accurate and trustworthy, as Yahuweh says it is, then the Catholic Church is wrong.
And John 17 never says that His followers would remain visible to the whole word throughout time. He prays that they will serve as an example to the world so that the world would come to know Yahuweh. Since it is obvious that the world doesn’t know Yahuweh I would say it’s safe to assume that this was His desire, and not a prophecy. Yes He desired that His followers would flourish, and bring the world to Yahuweh, but that is not what happened, and he knew it wouldn’t happen, which is why he told us that the way is narrow and few would find it.

jpelham wrote:
You cannot look back and see yourself as the continuation of a legacy winding through the record of history, however narrowly, to the time when Yahushua walked the byways of Palestine.

No I can’t. I’m not going to argue with that at all. But that is not relevant. By your logic, the Pharisees were right because they could trace their religion back, and those that followed the Messiyah couldn’t. Those at the time of Yahushua were few and unorganized, which is why He took His disciples from fisherman and such. Most of them knew and loved Yahuweh, but didn’t understand His word because it had been covered up with so much religious muck. The Pharisees however were the religious leaders of their day, they had been around for some time and were well established, like the RCC they could trace their legacy through the winding record of history, but that didn’t make them right, any more than it makes the Catholic Church right today.
jpelham wrote:
Yahushua became flesh precisely because we need the Incarnation, the body of Christ that is visible "to the world" (Jn. 17) even when it has shrunk to a persecuted, reviled, and minute remnant. We in every age have the same need, and Yahuweh's answer must be the same or He is not the One in whom there is no change. He need not have thwarted man’s free will, excepting an occasional Saul of Tarsis, to ensure this.

Yahuweh inhabited our world as Yahushua for one main purpose, to fulfill the Pesach, Matzah, and Bikryium miqra. His secondary reason was to live as an example to us.

jpelham wrote:
Your repugnance at the absurd prospect of eating the flesh of Christ is understandable, and is the continuation of a legacy that winds broadly through the record of history, to Yahushua's utterance at the synagogue of Capernaum, when even those who had believed everything else finally said, "This is too much, who can listen?!" And they went away disgusted. Peter evidently thought this a preposterous notion too, but his faith prevailed. It does not appear that John 6 could be more unequivocal.

As I said since there is no record of them actually eating it, I’m pretty sure it was a metaphor. Besides we have no reason to believe that when Catholics take communion they are eating anything other than a piece of bread, I’ve been there and doen that, it is bread, not flesh.

jpelham wrote:
Your assessment of Benedict XVI's conduct in response to the pedophile scandal is not well informed.

Actually my assessment is based more on his actions as a Cardinal than as Pope. And if you would look at the evidence objectively and not trying to protect your religious leader it is quite clear that he knew of case under his jurisdiction, and not only did nothing about it, actually tried to cover it up and keep the priests safe.
jpelham wrote:
Also, it is mainly a scandal of homosexual priests, with teenage and older males.

SO WHAT. My issue is not with the priests, they did wrong and should be punished. If the Church helped and aided the police in catching the pedophiles, I would applaud the Catholic Church, but they did the opposite, they have helped and aided the pedophiles, in an attempt to keep the public from learning about it. The Church would be untarnished if they did that. The Church can’t be held accountable for the actions of individuals within it, but they can and should be held accountable for the actions of their governing body in attempting to cover it up and interfere with justice.

jpelham wrote:
Your dismissive view of the sacramental life of faith, as chosen because it makes me “feel good," is not altogether unfounded. I would only offer that Yahushua evidently wanted us to enjoy this feeling, or He would not have sent His disciples out to administer the Sacrament of Confession (Jn 20:23 is quite clear).

It was never called a “Sacrament” that is a religious term, and they never heard confession, much like the Messiyah Himself, they forgave sins in Yahuweh’s name, without ever hearing what they did. They didn’t set up little boxes and make people come in and tell them everything they did wrong, and then tell them say 50 hail marys and god will forgive you.
And you have yet to give any evidence to why the authority of priest to forgive sins exists. Using your line of logic, anyone who is a follower of Yahushua can forgive sins, which does away with the need for one of the World’s largest businesses the Catholic Church.

jpelham wrote:
The sincerity of your doctrinal commitment is very clear and admirable. And I would give this much more time and discussion if my work and family were not so pressing. Please forgive the unforgivable presumption in what I am about to write. I appeal bluntly to your obvious intellectual integrity: do not conflate the teachings of the Catholic Church with the conduct of family members who claimed to be Catholic.

I would never do that, in fact I often joke that most of my family is Catholic ala carte, since they pick and choose which parts to follow and accept and which not to.
[qutoe=jpelham]It is exceedingly difficult to do this, especially in the absence of any conciliatory gesture of remorse, but it is exceedingly important. Benedict XVI admitted recently,
”there is also the fact that attacks on.. the Church come not only from without, but the sufferings of the Church come precisely from within the Church, from the sin existing within the Church. … today we are seeing it in a terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin within the Church, and that the Church thus has a deep need to relearn penance, to accept purification, to learn forgiveness on the one hand, but also the need for justice. Forgiveness does not replace justice. In a word, we need to relearn precisely this essential: conversion, prayer, penance and the theological virtues.”

I find it a bit funny that the actions of the current Pope really make the, as I understand it, soon to be canonized John Paul look bad considering he did nothing. I find it funny as well given his actions as a cardinal that Benedict thinks he can now come across as strong against pedophiles.
jpelham wrote:
I do not know your view of the Trinity. Since James conceives Yahushua to have only a portion of Yahuweh, you would not consider Yahuweh and Yahushua to be equal. Do you believe that He is one? If so, but, like Yahushua, "Rauch" also is just another portion of Yahuweh, then using the feminine pronoun is not problematical. I can refer to my arm as "she" without impugning my gender. If one accepts the ordinary understanding of the Trinity, this would confound unity.

I do not consider them to be equal, Yahuweh is greater. As for trinity, I often have to ask what one means by it. I have heard it defined in ways that I would agree with and ways that I don’t. My personal understand, leaving the word trinity, Yahuweh uses the family metaphor because that is what he desires with us. Therefore he refers to himself in terms of Father, Son, and Mother, which is why the Ruwach is feminine. In this metaphor there are two manifestations and an abstract, for lack of a better word, Yahushua is a manifestation of Yahuweh, and the Ruwach is a manifestation of Yahuweh, the Father aspect is never manifest. But as Ken has pointed out there are many more manifestations of Yahuweh throughout Scripture, the manifestation that met, ate and talked with ‘Abraham, the pillar of fire that lead the Israelites, Moshe met with Yahuweh in a manifest form on Sinai. So Yahuweh has many more than three manifestations. But his primary metaphor is family, Father, mother and Son.
You asked earlier to show textual changes, and while they are abundantly available where I told you to look, I’ll give you one here, as it relates to this topic. The verse “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” (1 John 5:7) Can be found in no early manuscript, in fact, if memory serves, it isn’t until the Vulgate that we have any manuscript containing it. In fact when the Textus Receptus was compiled, it was not included, until the Catholic Church complained, then they were told that if they could produce a Greek manuscript with it in it that it would be added to the second edition. There not being any Greek manuscript with it, they took the words literally, and produced one, since the publisher was more interested in money than truth, it was then added.
jpelham wrote:
If this were true, your first mission would have been, before any of your worthy tasks here at YY or anywhere else, to inform your father (& mother?) that he is the victim of a deception that imperils his soul and the souls of everyone under his influence. Have you done this?

Your “If this were true” introduction implies that I’m lying, but I will assume that is not what you intended. I have talked at considerable length with both my father and my mother, neither are Catholics anymore. But I’m not going to get into my family life beyond saying that.

jpelham wrote:
And may I ask if, when you took "time to study Catholic doctrine, and the history of the Catholic Church," you had already committed yourself to another way, a way that had welcomed you as you had not felt welcomed before, and having already passed judgment based on the RC Church you left?

When I first engaged in my study of Catholic history and doctrine, I was a teenager, and more or less agnostic and seeking. It was the first thing I invested the time to learn about. I had just begun to be interested in Spiritual matters, for lack of a better word, and wanted to decide what I believed, I didn’t want to just be a Catholic because that was what my family was, but I thought that would be the best place to start my studies. So that is where I began, I had no bias against it, if anything I was biased for it, in that that was what my family believed, but studying it gave me a complete distaste for religion period, and like so many, I didn’t differentiate between God and Religion, so I leaned atheist for quite some time after that, while I studied other religions. It was only when I was able to separate the two and look at Scripture without the lens of Religion that I came to know, trust and love Yahuweh.
jpelham wrote:
Matt wrote:
... He was a part of the worship band and through his "trusting" nature lured a young boy. ... It happens regardless of beliefs and casts an incredibly bad light on anything to do with Scripture and believers.

Thank you for adding some balance. Yet satan himself knew Scripture marvelously well, and quoted it, but he did not cast a bad light on it. If someone were to learn of Scripture only from him, however, or someone as faithless, if that someone were searching sincerely for love, he would likely look no further. This is a grave and common problem.

The difference between Matt’s example and the Catholic Church is that that was one person engaging in a despicable act, but he was not protected by the Church. Like I said, I don’t blame the Church for the priest’s actions, I blame the Church for its actions in attempting to cover it up and protect the priests.
As for Satan quoting Scripture, when you really look at it, Satan engages in the same activity that religions do, he misquotes Scripture, quotes it out of context and twists it. He does the same thing Christians do when they say, “Judge not lest ye be judged.” Which taken out of the context in which it was said is completely misused and erroneous.

Also I have to say I find your using Yahweh’s name to be very interesting considering the Church’s view on using his name.
http://forum.yadayahweh....n-Catholic-churches.aspx
If you’re interested.

Offline jpelham  
#38 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:02:23 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
Well Matthew has already done a great job of answering this one for me, thank you Matthew. But to reiterate it, one of the main reasons the placeholders were used was to convey words that couldn’t be accurately and completely conveyed in Greek, the read would have to use the Hebrew word that the placeholder represented, it also forced them to look at the Torah, Prophet and Writings for answers, the same place Yahushua sent people for answers.

And since in your previous post this was obviously a link to us now confessing to a Priest and accepting the authority of Yahuweh in the form of a man/men, i.e. the Pope and the Church, where in Scripture do you derive the authority for any man other than Yahushua?

John 20:23 is clear and direct. If Yahushua endows His disciples with the authority to forgive sins, or retain them, without knowledge of the particular sins of the individual, this becomes a despotic, arbitrary act with no relevance to the state of the individual soul. Yahushua taught crowds, but ministered to individual souls. His disciples were sent to do the same. If you will pardon my candor, you have not really addressed this forthrightly.

James wrote:
The disciples were persecuted by the Jews because they proclaimed that Yahushua was the Messiyah, something the Jewish religious leaders couldn’t tolerate because it was a threat to their power, and they were persecuted by the Roman’s because they were promoting a anti-religious system which would affect their pagan money making schemes something they couldn’t have.

Surely all of this is true, but the most galling offense was always the claim that an ordinary looking man claimed to speak with the authority of Yahuweh.

James wrote:
You say that Yahushua is never identified exclusively with a book in Scripture, I would agree Scripture never comes out right and says Yahushua is X, but the Word of God, the Word of Yahuweh is consistently used for the Torah, and Yahushua came for the purpose of fulfilling the Torah, when he references Scripture it is always the Torah, Prophet and Writings. Now where does he ever give authority to an organization, a pope, or any priests, the only priests mentioned in Scripture are the Levites, and their job was to carry out the Temple practices. Yahuweh also told us that if anyone teaches something in His name that is not consistent with the Torah, that person is a false prophet.
As Yada points out a number of times in YY, any religion that claims its authority based on Yahuweh’s Scriptures, and contradicts them in anyway, is caught in a catch 22. Since the Catholic Church contradicts Scripture in so many ways, and they claim their authority based off of Scripture, they are wrong. If Scripture is true, accurate and trustworthy, as Yahuweh says it is, then the Catholic Church is wrong.
And John 17 never says that His followers would remain visible to the whole word throughout time. He prays that they will serve as an example to the world so that the world would come to know Yahuweh. Since it is obvious that the world doesn’t know Yahuweh I would say it’s safe to assume that this was His desire, and not a prophecy. Yes He desired that His followers would flourish, and bring the world to Yahuweh, but that is not what happened, and he knew it wouldn’t happen, which is why he told us that the way is narrow and few would find it.

It really was not His "desire," it was the most fervent and unequivocal petition Yahushua made in Scripture. He prayed this in faith; His request was therefore granted.

The Word of God is the Logos, and the Logos became flesh. To the extent that the Torah was identified with the "Word," the Logos, in Yahushua it became flesh, incarnate and alive, for the world to see and know.

James wrote:
No I can’t. I’m not going to argue with that at all. But that is not relevant. By your logic, the Pharisees were right because they could trace their religion back, and those that followed the Messiyah couldn’t.

Not really, those that followed the Messiyah could find Him in their own Jewish heritage. He fulfilled the law, He did not break with the Jewish past. What was written and known by prophecy became flesh.

James wrote:
Those at the time of Yahushua were few and unorganized, which is why He took His disciples from fisherman and such. Most of them knew and loved Yahuweh, but didn’t understand His word because it had been covered up with so much religious muck. The Pharisees however were the religious leaders of their day, they had been around for some time and were well established, like the RCC they could trace their legacy through the winding record of history, but that didn’t make them right, any more than it makes the Catholic Church right today.

You are drawing inferences that do not follow from my reasoning. If the Way has been visibly evident, though certainly not widely accepted, continuously through history, this does not entail that everything that has been visibly evident over the course of history is the Way.

James wrote:
Yahuweh inhabited our world as Yahushua for one main purpose, to fulfill the Pesach, Matzah, and Bikryium miqra. His secondary reason was to live as an example to us.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, to all of us, who share the same needs of those to whom Yahushua appeared and spoke with the presence and authority of Yahuweh.

James wrote:
As I said since there is no record of them actually eating it, I’m pretty sure it was a metaphor. Besides we have no reason to believe that when Catholics take communion they are eating anything other than a piece of bread, I’ve been there and doen that, it is bread, not flesh.

James, I am very grateful for the time you have given to this discussion. And, while I have probably been oblique, you have not really addressed the issue of Holy Communion forthrightly, and it is evident that you were diverted from your study of Catholic belief before you understood it, or you would not say this. The Catholic Church essentially is the Eucharist. One must recognize what this means and entails to reject it honestly.

James wrote:
Actually my assessment is based more on his actions as a Cardinal than as Pope. And if you would look at the evidence objectively and not trying to protect your religious leader it is quite clear that he knew of case under his jurisdiction, and not only did nothing about it, actually tried to cover it up and keep the priests safe.

SO WHAT. My issue is not with the priests, they did wrong and should be punished. If the Church helped and aided the police in catching the pedophiles, I would applaud the Catholic Church, but they did the opposite, they have helped and aided the pedophiles, in an attempt to keep the public from learning about it. The Church would be untarnished if they did that. The Church can’t be held accountable for the actions of individuals within it, but they can and should be held accountable for the actions of their governing body in attempting to cover it up and interfere with justice.

Your assessment of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger is not well-informed. Or perhaps to place too much trust in the objectivity of Time magazine or the New York Times?

James wrote:
It was never called a “Sacrament” that is a religious term, and they never heard confession, much like the Messiyah Himself, they forgave sins in Yahuweh’s name, without ever hearing what they did. They didn’t set up little boxes and make people come in and tell them everything they did wrong, and then tell them say 50 hail marys and god will forgive you.
And you have yet to give any evidence to why the authority of priest to forgive sins exists. Using your line of logic, anyone who is a follower of Yahushua can forgive sins, which does away with the need for one of the World’s largest businesses the Catholic Church.

"Sacrament" is modern word, and I would not assert otherwise. I am concerned with the act. If you will again forgive me, this is rather more cynical than reasonable, and blames the Church, the body of Christ, for the sins of some of its members. Recall that 8.33% of the Church hand-chosen by Yahushua was corrupt enough to be party to His murder.

James wrote:
I would never do that, in fact I often joke that most of my family is Catholic ala carte, since they pick and choose which parts to follow and accept and which not to.

A "Catholic" is precisely one who believes all that the Catholic Church has recognized to be true. I know the ala carte kind of Catholic, and perhaps we all share this tendency, but once we reject an element of doctrine, we are de facto Protestant. Your parents were then what we could call nominally Catholic. What they left was not the Catholic Church, though their priest may have been regrettably faithless and culpable. Most strive genuinely for holiness; the few who don't are often taken to disgrace the whole.

James wrote:
When I first engaged in my study of Catholic history and doctrine, I was a teenager, and more or less agnostic and seeking. It was the first thing I invested the time to learn about. I had just begun to be interested in Spiritual matters, for lack of a better word, and wanted to decide what I believed, I didn’t want to just be a Catholic because that was what my family was, but I thought that would be the best place to start my studies. So that is where I began, I had no bias against it, if anything I was biased for it, in that that was what my family believed, but studying it gave me a complete distaste for religion period..

I came late to the study of Protestant and Catholic theology, and as teenager I would probably have grasped far less than your study did. I do not fault you for it, but I must be frank - you are not familiar with the fundamentals of Catholic teaching. The church you rejected is not the Catholic Church.

James wrote:
It was only when I was able to separate the two and look at Scripture without the lens of Religion that I came to know, trust and love Yahuweh.
The difference between Matt’s example and the Catholic Church is that that was one person engaging in a despicable act, but he was not protected by the Church. Like I said, I don’t blame the Church for the priest’s actions, I blame the Church for its actions in attempting to cover it up and protect the priests.

It is to the perhaps eternal shame of those who obscured the splendor of the Truth from you when you were a child, and to the glory of Yahuweh that you were not discouraged enough to stop your search.

We would not blame the Apostles as a whole for Judas, so should we treat the Church differently now?

James wrote:
Also I have to say I find your using Yahweh’s name to be very interesting considering the Church’s view on using his name.
http://forum.yadayahweh....n-Catholic-churches.aspx
If you’re interested.

You might have something here, I'll check when I have time. ..I just checked, and this is strictly a liturgical matter, evidently to curb certain liberal excesses. I will not need to confess it.

I regret that I must leave our dialogue for a while.

Luther announced, after almost 1500 years, that he had finally brought the truth to light, the truth that had appeared only in fragments until he revealed it whole. Calvin set out to correct Luther (and Zwingli) to proclaim the truth that, after all, was only fully discovered by his study of Scripture. Calvin's erudition - a brilliant polyglot and classicist - endowed him with confidence that those who took the new liberty to interpret Scripture individually too far should be stopped. So he executed Michael Servetus, a notably more brilliant scholar (who also discovered the essential nature of the circulatory system) whose understanding of the "Triune" God departed sharply from the traditional, Athanasian view. But all of these innovative minds sprang out of the Reformational demand for private interpretation of Scripture; none of their essential beliefs had any antecedent in history. You do have a tradition, and it begins with theirs, probably most directly related, even if not intentionally, to the unitarian view of Servetus. Without a history, your god is one who waited until Yada arrived to finally, after 2000 years, bequeath to the world, the whole truth. I do not believe that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel would require His people to reinvent the wheel in every age that saw their return to obedience. Moreover, you have not fully addressed the issue of the Eucharist (the scandal of Jn. 6) or Confession (Jn. 20:23, whatever the first discples called it). I need Him, just as His Apostles needed Him, in the same way, and I know that He made provision for this because I know that He loves you and me no less than He loved them.

Dominus vobiscum,
Joseph

Edited by user Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:43:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#39 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:34:27 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
John 20:23 is clear and direct. If Yahushua endows His disciples with the authority to forgive sins, or retain them, without knowledge of the particular sins of the individual, this becomes a despotic, arbitrary act with no relevance to the state of the individual soul.

I disagree, Yahushua was not interested in what sins they had committed, only that they were seeking His forgiveness. The Disciples having learned from him would have been the same.
You also conveniently ignored my point concerning the Catholic practice of penitence, and having to earn that forgiveness by engaging in an activity, or by saying a certain prayer a certain number of times as prescribed by a priest. When Yahushua forgave a man his sins he never prescribed them anything as penitence, His forgiveness was a gift, and it required nothing but an acceptance and desire for it.
And again that was authority was given to His disciples. So unless you accept the Catholic position, which has not historic evidence, that the Catholic Church began with Peter, and therefore this authority would have been passed down from Pope to Pope, and through them to Cardinals, Bishops, Priest etc. You have no reason to believe that this authority belongs to Catholic Clergy alone.
jpelham wrote:
It really was not His "desire," it was the most fervent and unequivocal petition Yahushua made in Scripture. He prayed this in faith; His request was therefore granted.

Fervent and unequivocal petition is a better wording than desire, but again He prays that they will serve as an example to the world so that the world would come to know Yahuweh This was not granted, the world does not know Yahuweh.
jpelham wrote:
Not really, those that followed the Messiyah could find Him in their own Jewish heritage. He fulfilled the law, He did not break with the Jewish past. What was written and known by prophecy became flesh.

No, they could trace their lineage, and their cultural heritage, but the culture they had known their whole life was that of Religious Judaism, which was not a relationship with Yahuweh.
jpelham wrote:
You are drawing inferences that do not follow from my reasoning. If the Way has been visibly evident, though certainly not widely accepted, continuously through history, this does not entail that everything that has been visibly evident over the course of history is the Way.

No I was showing that your reasoning for why the Catholic Church is right is flawed and proves nothing. I didn’t say that you thought the Pharisees were right I said that your argument would apply to them as much as it does the RCC. My point was that something being visibly evident throughout history proves nothing, and therefore is irrelevant in validating the RCC.
jpelham wrote:
And, while I have probably been oblique, you have not really addressed the issue of Holy Communion forthrightly, and it is evident that you were diverted from your study of Catholic belief before you understood it, or you would not say this. The Catholic Church essentially is the Eucharist. One must recognize what this means and entails to reject it honestly.

It doesn’t matter if you understand it or not. The fact remains that there is no Scriptural basis for “Holy Communion” and in fact it is a Pagan practice that dates back to Egypt. No matter how much you understand it, it doesn’t change the fact that most every part of Catholicism, from the titles Pope, Cardinal, etc. to the garments they were, to the holidays they keep, to much of the liturgy and Church service, all have a Pagan origin, and Yahuweh told us not to follow the ways of the Pagans.
jpelham wrote:
Your assessment of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger is not well-informed. Or perhaps to place too much trust in the objectivity of Time magazine or the New York Times?

Facts are Facts, and the facts show that while Cardinal he knew of instance, knew of their being covered up, and encouraged it. I don’t care where the facts come from they are the facts. Your assessment of his is biased by the fact that you are a Catholic; anyone who objectively looks at the facts would see if he would be put on trial he would be found guilty of obstruction of justice.
jpelham wrote:
If you will again forgive me, this is rather more cynical than reasonable, and blames the Church, the body of Christ, for the sins of some of its members. Recall that 8.33% of the Church hand-chosen by Yahushua was corrupt enough to be party to His murder.

As I said, I don’t blame the Church for the actions of the priests, I blame the Church for its actions as an organization to cover it up. If the Church as an organization handed over and turned in the pedophile priests I would applaud them, but they haven’t.

The crux of my problem with the Catholic Church is its contradictions and violations of Yahuweh’s word.
Nowhere was any man given the authority to change Yahuweh’s commandments. Yahuweh said that not one jot or tittle of His Torah would change, until ALL was fulfilled, and that the heaven and earth would pass away before.
So how do you explain the Church’s substitution of Yahuweh’s Sabbath for SUNday, the substitution of Bikruym for the Pagan Easter, the substitution of Sukah for the Pagan Christmas, prayers to the dead (saints, and Mary) when Yahuweh says that communing with the dead is an abomination, bowing before the Pagan graven image (the cross), and I could go on and on, it’s a simple point. If Scripture is right the Church is wrong.
Here is a dialogue that Yada recently had with another Catholic; I think you might find interesting.
http://forum.yadayahweh....nge-with-a-Catholic.aspx

Offline jpelham  
#40 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:18:33 AM(UTC)
jpelham

The Constitution of the US was written to be understood and followed. Yet even such a modern and meticulously crafted document would be the focus of endless debate without the Supreme Court, a body with the political authority to interpret it. The Scriptures are considerably more recondite, and yet you arrogate for yourself the right of interpreting it privately. This is a quintessentially Protestant invention, without mandate in Scripture.

Several times your reply says, variously paraphrased - "That doesn't matter," because 'that' does not comport with your interpretation. It is not insignificant that you apply this to your not being familiar with Catholic belief. It is eminently human to make our theological commitments before examining the alternatives, and then set out to accumulate a stock of reason to justify our commitment. But this is a backward development of faith. After drifting along in Protestantism for long while, my guilty conscience collided with Jn. 23, and would not allow me to drift anymore. I studied, carefully, the alternatives - though admittedly not Yada. But this we know: if the Apostles had the authority to retain sins, theirs was not merely a ministry of generalized forgiveness. The Way that fulfills and perpetuates the intent of Jesus must include their authority to absolve sins. I need this. If you will reject Catholicism, I would only encourage you to do it knowledgably.
Peace to you and your family.
Offline J&M  
#41 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:34:33 AM(UTC)
J&M

re jpelham,

As a point of accuracy “Yahushua never walked the byways of Palestine.” pelishtı̂y פּלשׁתּי BDB Definition:
Philistine = “immigrants”
was the name bestowed upon the region circa 135 CE by the Roman Emperor Hadrian, as an insult to the remaining Jews in Judea.
Offline James  
#42 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 3:29:05 AM(UTC)
James
Man

jpelham wrote:
The Constitution of the US was written to be understood and followed. Yet even such a modern and meticulously crafted document would be the focus of endless debate without the Supreme Court, a body with the political authority to interpret it. The Scriptures are considerably more recondite, and yet you arrogate for yourself the right of interpreting it privately. This is a quintessentially Protestant invention, without mandate in Scripture.

You are missing a simple and glaring point here, the US Constitution establishes, outlines and gives authority to the Supreme Court, as well as institute a system of checks and balances so that Court doesn’t over step it’s Constitutional bounds. Scripture does no such thing. The Catholic Church appointed itself to this task, not Scripture. Scripture did not establish a Pope and a College of Bishops, Cardinals or any of the Catholic Church. So they have no Scriptural authority for usurping this role.
Second, the Supreme Court interprets The Constitution; it does not change it, add to it, or take away from it. The Catholic Church on the other hand has not only assumed the role of interpreter, but has claimed for itself the authority to change and add to it, claiming that their edicts and precepts are equal to God’s.

jpelham wrote:
Several times your reply says, variously paraphrased - "That doesn't matter," because 'that' does not comport with your interpretation. It is not insignificant that you apply this to your not being familiar with Catholic belief. It is eminently human to make our theological commitments before examining the alternatives, and then set out to accumulate a stock of reason to justify our commitment. But this is a backward development of faith.

I say it doesn’t matter, because like you I am limited in time, and there is no point in my answering those arguments until you address the crux of the point. Which again is:
ME wrote:
The crux of my problem with the Catholic Church is its contradictions and violations of Yahuweh’s word.
Nowhere was any man given the authority to change Yahuweh’s commandments. Yahuweh said that not one jot or tittle of His Torah would change, until ALL was fulfilled, and that the heaven and earth would pass away before.
So how do you explain the Church’s substitution of Yahuweh’s Sabbath for SUNday, the substitution of Bikruym for the Pagan Easter, the substitution of Sukah for the Pagan Christmas, prayers to the dead (saints, and Mary) when Yahuweh says that communing with the dead is an abomination, bowing before the Pagan graven image (the cross), and I could go on and on, it’s a simple point. If Scripture is right the Church is wrong.

So until you address that it is not worth the time to bother with the minutia points. So until you give a response to these points, there is no point in continuing this dialogue, and I have no interest in continuing it beyond this point.

Offline jpelham  
#43 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 10:57:39 AM(UTC)
jpelham

James wrote:
I disagree, Yahushua was not interested in what sins they had committed, only that they were seeking His forgiveness. The Disciples having learned from him would have been the same.
You also conveniently ignored my point concerning the Catholic practice of penitence, and having to earn that forgiveness by engaging in an activity, or by saying a certain prayer a certain number of times as prescribed by a priest. When Yahushua forgave a man his sins he never prescribed them anything as penitence, His forgiveness was a gift, and it required nothing but an acceptance and desire for it.

If Yahushua said "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, and whose sins you retain are retained," the disciples endowed with this authority could not exercise it without personal, particular discussion.

The absolving priest prescribes penance to the one who confesses his sins, to the penitent, if he is in fact contrite. The penance does not by itself earn forgiveness, it is the individual identifying himself with the suffering of Christ in a token way. The Catechism explains this very well. All that we gain is by grace, which we can enjoy all the more by our experiencing as intimately as possible the sufferings of the One whose penance did earn everything. This is the Catholic view.

James wrote:

Here is a dialogue that Yada recently had with another Catholic; I think you might find interesting.
http://forum.yadayahweh....nge-with-a-Catholic.aspx

Regarding the issue of the Sabbath:

The Apostles worshipped on Sunday instead of Saturday. Acts 20:7 "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

But it is also true that what the Church binds on earth is bound in heaven:

Q. What is the Third Commandment?
A. The Third Commandment is: Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day.

Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Q. Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

Q. Why did the Catholic Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday and the Holy Ghost descended upon the Apostles on a Sunday.

Q. By what authority did the church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plenitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her.

Moreover, on "Pentacost," the Holy Spirit descended on Mary and the Apostles, and they spoke the Truth to everyone in attendance, people of every tongue. There is therefore no need, if you are thus guided, to use Hebrew for all of your definitive terms. I have labored long over translation before and understand the challenges. English is the richest language in the world, with sufficient resources to translate anything accurately - even if not one-to-one. Otherwise you set up your own de facto religion and priesthood, who dispense their privileged knowledge of meanings. - a decidedly Gnostic hierarchy.

I will join the other dialogue with Yada after the present torrent of obligations passes.

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2010 7:17:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jpelham  
#44 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 11:29:16 AM(UTC)
jpelham

Yada's dialogue with the Catholic has disappeared. Why?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#45 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 1:20:08 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On the whole - we can absolve sin in regards to the John 20 quote.

Taken from the translation here: Histemi

Greek words in Bold.

Quote:

"Then (oun - therefore, accordingly and consequently, these things being so) Yahushua said (lego - affirmed and maintained, taught and advised) to them anew (palin - as a repetition of renewal), 'Be assured of salvation (eirene - of a state of peace and tranquility, of a harmonious relationship, of freedom and safety, of prosperity and great joy) according to and in the same proportion as is present in (kathos) the ΠΗΡ (Father) who sent Me (apostello - ordered and set Me free and away to go to the place appointed to convey a message). I also (kai) send you out to carry a message (pempo).' And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said: 'Accept, associate with, and use (lambano - take upon yourself in order to be carried away, take hold of and use productively, choose to form a relationship with, accept, receive, experience, and exploit courageously) the revered, cleansing, and set-apart Spirit. If (an) someone (tis - a certain individual) is dismissed and sent away (aphiemi - divorced, forsaken, or disregard; neglected or omitted) [by the Spirit], missing the way and erring (hamartia - being without a share because they wandered off on the wrong path and were not made upright), he or she (autos) will be dismissed and sent away (aphiemi - divorced, forsaken, and disregard; neglected and omitted). If (an) someone (tis - a certain individual) is empowered to gain possession (krateo - if they hold on to and retain) [the hagios Spirit] they will empowered to gain possession and they will be held on to and be retained (krateo) [by the Spirit]." (John 20:21-23)

It's quite a bit different to what is rendered in our "translations"...

And for reference...

Yadas Email exchange...

http://forum.yadayahweh.com/yaf_postst2070_Yadas-email-exchange-with-a-Catholic.aspx

Just to be helpful :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Swalchy  
#46 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 1:36:38 PM(UTC)
Swalchy
Man

jpelham wrote:
Regarding the issue of the Sabbath:

The Apostles worshipped on Sunday instead of Saturday. Acts 20:7 "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the word "worship" used in Acts 20:7. In fact I fail to see anything in Acts 20:7 mention that "and on the first day of the week, the disciples met together to observe the new Sabbath day that had been transferred from the seventh day of the week to the first". Do you see anything remotely like that there?

Yes, some disciples met THIS ONCE on the first day of the week, but they didn't treat it like it was a brand new Sabbath day. Actually, they met on the first day of the week due to the fact that they had been observing the Sabbath the day before and had rested according to the Torah's instruction.

Quote:
But it is also true that what the Church binds on earth is bound in heaven:

No it isn't. The Matthew 16:18 and 18:18 verses are so mistranslated and misinterpreted it's unreal.

Quote:
Q. What is the Third Commandment?
A. The Third Commandment is: Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day.

Actually, the third commandment is "You shall not promote desolation or lifelessness in Yahuweh's name" (Exodus 20:7)

Quote:
Q. Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

UserPostedImage

What utter nonsense.

The Sabbath is the seventh day, not the first, as ordained by Yahuweh Himself.

Quote:
Q. Why did the Catholic Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday and the Holy Ghost descended upon the Apostles on a Sunday.

And yet not a single one of the disciples ever stated that the Sabbath had changed the day it was on. That's because they understood that the only significance of the Messiah's resurrection and the immersion of the Set-Apart Spirit being on the first day of the week was because they fell on the Feast of Firstfruits, and on the Feast of Weeks. And not surprisingly, neither of those feasts had to do with changing the seventh day sabbath to a first day worship troop.

Quote:
Q. By what authority did the church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plenitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

As I said in another thread - these pictures are seriously coming in handy!
Offline Matthew  
#47 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

jpelham, the importance was put on the Festival of Unleavened Bread where Yahweh designated it a 7 day long feast in the Torah. 14 of Nisan was Passover, 15 Nisan was Unleavened Bread (and ran for 7 days) and 16 Nisan was First Fruits. The yeast (sin) was removed while Yahshua spent the day in the grave, it's what made it possible for us to be reunited with Yahweh and this is what He wanted to highlight, or should I say stress. What's also exhilarating is that it fell on a natural Sabbath in the year 33CE, on the exact day it was predicted to fall by the prophet Daniel and by the Torah.

The RC Church have no right to change God's Commandments, not even Yahshua did that, instead He explicitly said they will remain standing until heaven and earth pass away.

In addition, that Acts passage said it was the "first day" of the week, therefore it cannot possibly be the "seventh day" of the week now. Swalchy is right, the Disciples were most likely resting in their own homes or with family on the Sabbath, as is Jewish custom (Torah custom too), but got together on the first day of week to plan and discuss things.
Offline jpelham  
#48 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 3:02:40 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Swalchy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the word "worship" used in Acts 20:7. In fact I fail to see anything in Acts 20:7 mention that "and on the first day of the week, the disciples met together to observe the new Sabbath day that had been transferred from the seventh day of the week to the first". Do you see anything remotely like that there?

Yes, some disciples met THIS ONCE on the first day of the week, but they didn't treat it like it was a brand new Sabbath day. Actually, they met on the first day of the week due to the fact that they had been observing the Sabbath the day before and had rested according to the Torah's instruction.

The "breaking of bread" is significant. It's significance begins with Melchizadech, culminates at the last supper, and begins a beautiful legacy with the two disciples who met Yahushua on the road to Emmaus. Justin, who was martyred for his membership in the budding 'ekklesia,' noted "We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead." (2nd c.)

One might argue against the Church's authority to institute such a change, but it is not unfairly attributed to the desire to memorialize Yahushua's victory over death, a turning point in human history.

Swalchy wrote:
No it isn't. The Matthew 16:18 and 18:18 verses are so mistranslated and misinterpreted it's unreal.

Actually, the third commandment is "You shall not promote desolation or lifelessness in Yahuweh's name" (Exodus 20:7)

Are we to judge that two thousand years of utterly obfuscatory, deceptive translations and teachings finally came to an end with Yada? It was finally he and he alone, after the Apostles themselves, who understood the autographs, which are the sole repository of Truth? Joseph Smith made this claim about 150 years ago, Jim Jones and David Koresh more recently. Such claims suppose a feeble Holy Spirit' (we can, without violence, take 'holy' to mean 'set-apart'). A vital stream of "Truth-based culture" - i.e., threading its way through the pages of history, can be sustained without violating man's freedom unless, again, one assumes a providence of very limited resources.

Swalchy wrote:
What utter nonsense.

The Sabbath is the seventh day, not the first, as ordained by Yahuweh Himself.

And yet not a single one of the disciples ever stated that the Sabbath had changed the day it was on. That's because they understood that the only significance of the Messiah's resurrection and the immersion of the Set-Apart Spirit being on the first day of the week was because they fell on the Feast of Firstfruits, and on the Feast of Weeks. And not surprisingly, neither of those feasts had to do with changing the seventh day sabbath to a first day worship troop.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

As I said in another thread - these pictures are seriously coming in handy!

Perhaps because, upon your noble head turning hither and yon in your plaintive hands, are draped your most remarkably expressive forelocks!?

Edited by user Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:52:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jpelham  
#49 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 6:50:44 PM(UTC)
jpelham

Robskiwarrior wrote:
On the whole - we can absolve sin in regards to the John 20 quote.

Taken from the translation here: Histemi

Greek words in Bold.

It's quite a bit different to what is rendered in our "translations"...

And for reference...

Yadas Email exchange...

http://forum.yadayahweh.com/yaf_postst2070_Yadas-email-exchange-with-a-Catholic.aspx

Just to be helpful :)

Thank you, Robskiwarrior, for the link. Something was evidently amiss with the link I used.

The word "sin" is excluded in your translation. Was its inclusion a dogmatically imposed corruption of what ought to be a straightforward translation? Has the accuracy of your translation been verified by a classicist? Accurate translation requires a mature sense of the melieu in which the original words were spoken, acquired by scholarly training that affords the ability to choose correctly from among a range of meanings, in consideration of nuance of context and allusions that the dictionary cannot provide. The writings of 'the Apostle whom Yahushua loved' draw from the cultures of Greece and Rome as well as Israel.

If you believe (even mathematics rests on articles of faith) that secular and sectarian scholars alike, spanning every doctrinal perspective and none, have translated this incorrectly, then you posit either a conspiracy or incompetency on a scale perhaps never before imagined by a sound mind.

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2010 8:46:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#50 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 8:26:50 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
jpelham wrote:
Was its inclusion a dogmatic corruption of the original text? Has the accuracy of your translation been verified by a classicist? Accurate translation requires a mature sense of the melieu in which the original words were spoken, acquired by scholarly training that affords the ability to choose correctly from among a range of meanings, in consideration of nuance of context and allusions that the dictionary cannot provide. The writings of 'the Apostle whom Yahushua loved' draw from the cultures of Greece and Rome as well as Israel.

The Greek is taken from the oldest sources we have, and the words that are used in those verses are all included with a little amplification above. You can actually check them out yourself with that information :)

I would also point out that no only sin is not there but the actual act that was put across by the modern translations, of man forgiving man of sins.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...