logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RidesWithYah  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 1:48:58 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Odd title for a thread, but please hear me out.

The messages in YY about how religion has been perverted and abused throughout history,
how we should question what we're taught and compare it against scripture,
and not trust the commonly available translations blindly, are all worthwhile.
But if over-emphasized, they can make us lose the message that we are to be both Called-Out, and an Assembly.

Called-Out of Babylon, out of the corrupting influences around us. Yada Yahweh drives that home.
It's the Assembly piece we seem to struggle with.

Many have reported unpleasant experiences sharing the truth in Sunday churches.
And ended up feeling alienated and alone, because we're so spread out.

Here's your encouragement...

About two years ago, I tried talking about some of the ideas in Yada Yahweh to a friend at work.
He wasn't too interested, but said, "you know, you really ought to try a Sabbatarian church", even though he's a Sunday keeper himself.
I didn't even know there was such a thing, but checked the phone book. There was one listed. Downtown, in a rough neighborhood. I took a chance, and found a small but loving group of Sabbath Keeping, Feast Observing people. We don't always agree, but we're all hungry for truth, and they have been accepting of many ideas found here, when backed by Scripture. I've found joy in worshiping together, learning together (I'm still new at this), and sharing.

We even started a series of classes this winter to try to spread the word; and I was asked to be one of the teachers.
So far I've been able to cover the timeline of history (1000 year increments), fulfilment of Firstfruits, even use of names instead of "the Lord". After Passover, I'll be teaching "the Story of Easter" -- that should be a fun one.

And my experience is not unique. I gave Yada Yahweh to my mother-in-law, she loved it -- and shared it with a Messianic congregation in another state. They loved it -- divided the chapters, and it's made its way through most of the congregation.

I encourage you to step out, give it a shot.
Accept that even those who want the truth, will find it hard to understand or get used to sometimes.
Build relationships instead of pushing. (Remember: Knowledge alone is not the key to Salvation, Love is fulfillment of the Torah.)
Don't come across as condescending, or angry. Just slowly share what you've learned, in a loving way.
(Don't leave in a huff the first time someone says "Praise the LORD". Simply smile, reply "Hallelu-Yah", and wait. Eventually, someone will ask why you always use the names instead of saying "Lord". That's when they'll accept the answer.)

Start with those who share some common ground, and build on it.
Sabbatarians.
Seventh-Day Churches.
Messianic Congregations.

Don't neglect fellowship, it's very rewarding.
And it's out there, if you're willing to take the risk.

In His Love,
RidesWithYah.
Offline edStueart  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 2:33:41 PM(UTC)
edStueart

My two best friends and I had a meeting with the pastor of the church we attend and asked 'why don't we use Yahweh and Yahushua's proper names in our teaching, singing and prayers?'.

He replied that it was indisputable that those were the proper names and had never thought that they were being purposefully avoided.

In the last thirty seconds of his sermon, he slipped in a reference to Yahushua, this past sun-god-day.

;-)

He was also genuinely delighted that 'there are three guys in this church that are really digging into The Word'. Said it made his day, even though they had to rebuke him on one point of his teaching.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline danshelper  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:08:35 AM(UTC)
danshelper

Quote:
Start with those who share some common ground, and build on it.
Sabbatarians.
Seventh-Day Churches.
Messianic Congregations.

Thinking about this suggestion, I found a sabbatarian website: http://www.sabbatarian.com/#Anchor-Site-menu777, but in a little reading they promote two disturbing doctrines:
1. Yahshua was an ordinary man and not the human manifestation of Yahweh, and
2. satan is the personification of sin.

I can't say I've done a lot of research into these teachings, but this is the second group I've come across that promotes these two things. The other group calls themselves Christadelphians.

Although there seems to be some good things on the Sabbatarian site - I really like the new (for me) term "christopaganism" - I wouldn't seek fellowship with this group. I'm very thankful for the kindred spirits and the incredibly great scholarship I find here that I haven't found elsewhere. After that, I'm very cautious.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:30:40 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I don't know how common those views are,
but they certainly aren't shared by all Sabbatarian groups.
(The title just indicates people who keep the Sabbath -- that's a pretty broad umbrella.)

I'd still suggest looking into groups in your area --
you might be pleasantly surprised,
and they could certainly use to learn from you!
Offline Walt  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:00:15 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

RidesWithYah wrote:

I'd still suggest looking into groups in your area --
you might be pleasantly surprised,
and they could certainly use to learn from you!

I ran that tread mill - lots of running without getting anywhere, fell off when I ran out of steam (still healing from the bruising and treadmill rash, and I'm still working out the cramping in my legs)

I check out an assembly 3 hrs away, met with the "elder" before we could attend a Sabbath meeting at his house - it was mandatory for my wife to wear a dress or skirt for any Sabbath or Feast gathering

Checked out a group 1.5 hrs and one 2 hrs away - both were BIG on Judaism and rabbinic traditions, reciting rabbinic prayers and liturgy - it was more about religious traditions and obedience (even if there was no understanding the command) than it was about a Knowing relationship with Yahuweh

That was before I discovered YY and knowing what I know now, but I still knew they were on the wrong track
I had rejected christian traditions, and I wasn't about to fill that void with Jewish and rabbinic traditions - I was done with religion and it's desert mirages that does nothing but leave sand in your mouth [I was a new-ager, wiccan, and even practiced native-americanism with a "rainbow" tribe (they took non-native peoples) before I journeyed thru christianity

I've wasted much to much under false teachings and religious traditions, that I can't waste anymore
I could no more stomach a christian brew-haha or a rabbinic with a little Messiah thrown two-step, than than I would do another sweat, moon-dance or circle - they all have the same source (just a different skin put on it to hide it's reality)

I've come to realize that groups don't change shipping lanes very easily - the captains and navigators are stubborn and set on course
I've now reset my compass to find other seekers as individuals, they don't have to agree with all I believe, just have a desire to KNOW the Creator & TRUTH - void of religious traditions & trappings
I haven't been successful since readjusting my fellowship sights
Oh to just have 1 person to fellowship with......
Offline HebrewHippie  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:19:20 PM(UTC)
HebrewHippie
Woman

Hi guys...Some of you echo the longing of my heart... I am so desperate for spiritual community, it's almost ridiculous.
I know things like these forums are excellent resources, but it's not the same as face to face conversation, and having the time to read long threads and type replies.....I don't have an abundance of that.
Any chance ANYONE on here lives in Australia?

Every now and then I wonder if I should go into a church to find other people, but I don't know if I could bring myself to...it feels wrong approaching fellowships when you know that you're on different pages...or not even in the same book... And I get not wanting to be overly judgmental, but it would be painful to sit through a sermon on 'Jesus Christ' and have not a single word mentioned about Torah.

May Yahuweh give us this desire of our hearts very soon...!
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:35:07 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I know what you mean HebrewHippie!

I'm truly a foreigner in the country I live. I've searched online for believers, in this huge city I live in who believe the same or similar, but I haven't had much luck. But I'm generally a loner, or should I say prefer keeping to myself and my close-knit group of friends even when some of them are unbelievers. Even when I was still living in my home country I tried to attend a few churches but never felt comfortable, and this was even before I knew Yahshua the way I do now. I just never felt comfortable with their teachings, as if they taught but weren't practising and not agreeing with their teachings. As you're an Ozzie, maybe you'll understand the surfing terminology, I prefer surfing alone and just with mates where the waves aren't too great instead of surfing the main breaks that are crowded with surfers, especially those I don't know.

I'm almost in daily contact with forum members here on the forum, via TinyChat, Skype and Facebook. And I sometimes feel this is sufficient, but I do too sometimes wish for like-minded people who live close by where one can drink a cup of coffee at the same time instead of seeing the message "brb, off to make myself a brew!"
Offline RidesWithYah  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:46:15 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
it feels wrong approaching fellowships when you know that you're on different pages...or not even in the same book...

a) They're the people that need you most (sincere but deceived), and
b) Don't assume differences that don't exist, or can't be overcome.

It helps that the group I found is small, but confident enough to accept that they don't have all the answers. The result is they're very open to new ideas backed by scripture. Our studies aren't one person teaching, but all of us discussing -- backed by scripture. (Even criticisms of KJV, which is the group's standard, are accepted when properly explained. I'm hearing a lot more "Yahweh" and a lot less LORD in recent weeks.)

It's funny, because I'm not really a "social" person (shy, quiet, kind of a loner?). I was simply looking for a second witness to confirm the things I was reading here. I found so much more.

After two years, here's the result:
http://sabbathslexington.com/

Still have more to do, but we're making a difference in our community -- an opportunity for relationship with Yah that otherwise wouldn't exist. On judgment day, I don't want any fingers pointed at me saying "he knew, and didn't tell us". And I'm REALLY looking forward to teaching this week's lesson, The Story of Easter.

In His Love,
RWY
Offline Walt  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:22:10 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Matthew wrote:

I'm almost in daily contact with forum members here on the forum, via TinyChat, Skype and Facebook.

Count yourself blessed
Every time I check tinychat, no one's there

Matthew wrote:
And I sometimes feel this is sufficient, but I do too sometimes wish for like-minded people who live close by where one can drink a cup of coffee at the same time instead of seeing the message "brb, off to make myself a brew!"

Fellowship - one of the more foundational things for a proper healthy life - seems soooo elusive for those who desire to seek after Yahuweh in Truth

How much are we expected to compromise to obtain some kind of level of face-to-face interaction?

Accept church and bible as legitimate and foundational to fellowship?

Socialize in non-faith type settings and keep our beliefs locked in the closet?
But in today's hyper-charged environment you seem to have to fit into either the liberal or conservative or other camp - it's hard to hold the tongue when people so readily fling their fav pundits sound bites as a form of conversation
People don't want to interact with anyone that my challenge what they believe and think - TRUTH isn't a valued or welcomed commodity

I feel like I'm in the wrong dimension and have nothing basic in common.
Couldn't give-a-hoot about the NFL, NBA, NCAA, NRA ect...
I'm not a pretender, put on which-ever social mask, and keep light fluffy meaningless dialogue to get by type person

HebrewHippie wrote:
Hi guys...Some of you echo the longing of my heart... I am so desperate for spiritual community, it's almost ridiculous.

Every now and then I wonder if I should go into a church to find other people, but I don't know if I could bring myself to...it feels wrong approaching fellowships when you know that you're on different pages...or not even in the same book... And I get not wanting to be overly judgmental, but it would be painful to sit through a sermon on 'Jesus Christ' and have not a single word mentioned about Torah.

May Yahuweh give us this desire of our hearts very soon...!

TOTALLY

As the saying goes "I feel your pain" - but not in the shallow way people use it - cause we're having the same pain (and I'm tired of using pain-killers that only semi-dull the pain)

Not only
Quote:
when you know that you're on different pages...or not even in the same book

but they don't want to look at your pages or book
we're like homosexuals back in the 40s & 50s - keep it hidden deep in the closet

I ask myself "Is this Yahuweh's A plan? His best?"
But that's for another discussion
Offline HebrewHippie  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 12:17:05 AM(UTC)
HebrewHippie
Woman

RidesWithYah wrote:

a) They're the people that need you most (sincere but deceived), and
b) Don't assume differences that don't exist, or can't be overcome.

[p.s. i hope this works, as i'm new to this, and attempting to quote for the first time...]
i appreciate you looking at the brighter side, 'Rides with Yah'. I guess I was talking about those that aren't open. Even though I drive past churches and see their signs that say "...the true meaning of christmas..." And I wanna go in there and play dumb and say OH! I thought you were going to talk about the Real true meaning behind christmas...or whatever else the topic may be that you just know won't be the Torah-based answer. . .A part of me would LOVE to engage in discussion, I would love to go to something...but it feels like I would kinda be going under false pretenses.

I suppose I sometimes think surely YHWH would no sooner want me going into a Buddhist temple than a christian church...Where's the line? Where you kinda gotta respect that it is a person's "place of worship", it's where they go to do what they think is right, and even if we know otherwise, is it our place to invade that specific place...?

Yahushua didn't really do that did He? He kinda just went off on a hill, and the crowd came to him.
Would b nice to have the pulling power of the Almighty! ;)

Or to have the boldness of some of the prophets of old... I bet some of them would've marched right into any church and yelled, "OI, TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF, and open your eyes!!!"
Offline Matthew  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 12:57:29 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
HebrewHippie wrote:
Or to have the boldness of some of the prophets of old... I bet some of them would've marched right into any church and yelled, "OI, TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF, and open your eyes!!!"

Or one could contend with them and curse them, then smite them and pull our their hair! Nehemiah 13:25
Offline RidesWithYah  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 1:16:58 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Quote:
Yahushua didn't really do that did He? He kinda just went off on a hill, and the crowd came to him.

Paul ain't my favorite for a number of reasons, but he was an effective persuader, and left us this tidbit...

Quote:
For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.
Acts 17:23

Fact is, we live in Athens too. Our neighbors are worshipping an unknown God. We owe them both the courtesy of an introduction. Paul's technique was to find something the people were already comfortable with, and teach from it. We have the advantage that most churches around us still use (portions of) Scripture. I've found nothing is more effective than asking someone to hand you THEIR Bible, flipping to the appropriate page, handing it back, and asking them to read.

And folks are much more receptive to "what's right with Yah's feasts" than "what's wrong with Christmas and Easter". So lead with your Right. Then talk about what's left. Start by attacking what Momma taught, and they shut down.

VERY few Christians know what Passover, Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, Weeks, Trumpets, Tabernacles, and Atonement are. Many are very open to understanding the fulfillment of the first four. Once they see that, you've got a pretty good shot at saving a life.

In His Love,
RWY.
Offline bitnet  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 6:33:36 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I bring some sad news: a young friend who enquired of Yahweh and brought her mother into the Light of His Word was recently killed in a car accident in Medan, Sumatra while on a company assignment.

Amy was a beautiful young woman who just married three years ago at the age of 29. She wanted to know who her Creator is and I had the privilege of sharing the information with her. She was childlike in her quest to know the Truth and she was changing her life to walk in His way, from recognising His Name to knowing His Sabbaths and Teachings. I had counted on her to be part of our little Family in Malaysia and losing her was like losing a sister. Other than the few Messianics here, our group is now back to a senior citizen, my wife and I.

Amy's mother came by and said that she wants to continue Amy's quest to yada Yahweh, and I am yearning to help bring her to The Way. Please pray for her as she is among unbelievers, and that Yahweh will show me how to share with her His Word.

I am now galvanised and emboldened to share with as many people as possible because there is no other time left and little to fear as we have the best of times in all of history to share His Word with the others. Of course, we shall tread lightly and be cautious as this society frowns on those who scoff at religion, especially if it is their religion.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Sunny  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:48:48 AM(UTC)
Sunny

I was saddened to learn of this young woman’s death. But very happy that she began her search and shared with her mother. It’s difficult to lose any loved one, but losing a child is especially difficult.

My prayer is that her mother will continue with the search her beloved daughter began, and that Yahuweh give you and your spouse wisdom in sharing with her what you’ve learned.

Hopefully, she hasn’t been influenced greatly by religion as it’s so difficult to share when someone has grown up in religion. It seems the longer we have been a part of it, the harder it is to walk away.

Most of my family is still entrenched in Christianity. I try not to bombard them. But when I do share with them it’s very difficult, there is such a blindness. I try not to get frustrated because I remember when I was right where they are now, and by no means to I know it all.

As I continue to learn I try to pick my moments and try to give real life examples. When I came to understand how important names are to Yahuweh, I wanted to share it.

I shared that our creator is Yahuweh not “God” and the Messiah is Yahusuha not “Jesus”. Usually the response is, “it doesn’t really matter because he’s God and he knows what I mean” or “that’s just what we call him in our language today”.

I asked, how do you think your relationship with your wife would progress if she came in the door one day said “Hi John”, when your name is Fred. Wouldn’t you feel disrespected. Isn’t the first step of developing a relationship knowing someone’s name.

Or regarding the “worship” that takes place in today’s “church”, if your son walked in one day and got on his knees and bowed before you and said “Oh father you are wonderful, marvelous, no one is greater than you”, what would you do? Well if we are adopted in Yahuweh’s family, then He is our Father.

Even when someone understands, they can go back to their church and it’s all is washed away. I think that’s why it is so important to just walk away from it, and say Father I don’t know what I’m doing, all I do know is that I want to get to know you, and I want to be known of you, please help me.

May Yah bless and keep you and your family and thank you for sharing with her mom.
Offline PattyB  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:27:57 AM(UTC)
PattyB
Woman

Bitnet,

I am sorry for your loss. It is comforting to know that she had found the truth and was doing her best to observe it and keep it. The loss of someone dear however is never an easy thing to go through. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully her mother's eyes will be open to the truth as well. Sounds like her she loved her daughter a lot.

Fellowship is a hard thing to find.
Quote:
Even though I drive past churches and see their signs that say "...the true meaning of christmas..." And I wanna go in there and play dumb and say OH! I thought you were going to talk about the Real true meaning behind christmas...or whatever else the topic may be that you just know won't be the Torah-based answer. . .A part of me would LOVE to engage in discussion, I would love to go to something...but it feels like I would kinda be going under false pretenses.

I felt that same way right around Christmas and Easter. I work at a Christian daycare and a lot of the people there are not very receptive to the truth. My boss is the pastor of a Baptist church. I try to have conversations with him while not getting to heated and I think that a part of it gets through but he just brushes it off. The thought of going into an actual church and trying to talk with any of them seems like it probably wouldn't work.

Quote:
As I continue to learn I try to pick my moments and try to give real life examples. When I came to understand how important names are to Yahuweh, I wanted to share it.

I have tried sharing the true name of Yahuweh as well as the importance of the name to Him. One of the examples that I used to tell one of my friends was about the Catholic church making a new version of the bible that replaces the Lord with Allah. She was reasonable upset about that and so I told her how it wasn't the first time that it has happened and how Lord was used to replace Yahuweh and that the Lord is a title for Bail. She was shocked and actually seemed to be thinking about it. I might try using your real life examples for my family however because no matter what I tell them they just say, "Oh, God knows what I mean. It doesn't really matter." grrrrr. A little frustrating.

RidesWithYah,

I am so happy that you have found a place to fellowship like that. I might try and do the same. You're right it is our job to try and tell as many as we can. :)