logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Walt  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:59:27 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Here is a study I did a couple of years ago, before I discovered YY.
I was working with the, what I thought at the time was accurate, resources from e-Sword.

Woman shall not be/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of a warrior/valiant man
neither shall a warrior/valiant man put on a woman’s garment,
for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim.

I would like to see this in the YY amplified version using the oldest manuscripts to see how it differs.

I was, at the time, getting involved with Yahweh's Assembly in Yahshua, which had an elder 3 1/2 hours away.
They forbid women to wear pants at any gathering, and my question everything mind didn't accept their premise without verifying.

This was my response to the elders:

I notice that Deuteronomy 22:5 is used to forbid women from wearing pants, I did a thorough study on this verse and found it greatly mistranslated.
Upon examination this verse can not be used to control how women dress.

(Deuteronomy 22:5)
“A woman does not wear1961 that which pertains 3627 to a man,1397, nor does a man put on3847 a woman’s
garment8071, for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim.

Look at the words I’ve underlined

H1961
hâyâh
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out

STRONGS:

Quoted Text
A primitive root (compare H1933); to exist, that is, be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary): - beacon, X altogether, be (-come, accomplished, committed, like), break, cause, come (to pass), continue, do, faint, fall, + follow, happen, X have, last, pertain, quit (one-) self, require, X use.

Looking at all the verses hâyâh is used, wear is not a correct translation, and this verse is
the only place it is translated as such, none of the other verses even come close to
meaning wear or put on as in clothing.

Look how the word means as it is used in The Creation:

(Genesis 1:2) And the earth was1961 without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Elohim moved upon the face of the waters.

(Genesis 1:3) And Elohim said, Let there be1961 light: and there was1961 light.

(Genesis 1:5) And Elohim called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were1961 the first day.

(Genesis 1:6) And Elohim said, Let there be1961 a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let1961 it divide the waters from the waters.

(Genesis 1:7) And Elohim made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was1961 so.

(Genesis 1:8) And Elohim called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were1961 the second day.

Also look how that word is used and what it means in it’s other uses in Deuteronomy 22:

2 “And if your brother is not near you, or if you do not know him, then you shall bring it to your own house, and it shall be1961 with you until your brother seeks it, then you shall return it to him.

19 and fine him one hundred pieces of silver and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought an evil name on a maiden of Yisra’ĕl. And she is to be1961 his wife, he is not allowed to put her away all his days.

20 “But if the matter is1961 true, that the girl was not found a maiden,

23 “When a girl who is a maiden is1961 engaged to a husband, and a man finds her in the city and lies with her,

29 then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl’s father fifty pieces of silver, and she is to be1961 his wife because he has humbled her. He is not allowed to put her away all his days.

If Yahweh meant this part of the verse to mean wear or put on clothing why wasn’t
H3847 used like in the 2nd half of the verse?

H3847
lâbash / lâbêsh
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
to dress, wear, clothe, put on clothing, be clothed

STRONGS:

Quoted Text
A primitive root; properly wrap around, that is, (by implication) to put on a garment or clothe (oneself, or another), literally or figuratively: - (in) apparel, arm, array (self), clothe (self), come upon, put (on, upon), wear.

Look at the next underlined word:

H3627
kelîy
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
1) article, vessel, implement, utensil
1a) article, object (general)
1b) utensil, implement, apparatus, vessel
1b1) implement (of hunting or war)
1b2) implement (of music)
1b3) implement, tool (of labour)
1b4) equipment, yoke (of oxen)
1b5) utensils, furniture
1c) vessel, receptacle (general)
1d) vessels (boats) of paper-reed

STRONGS:

Quoted Text
From H3615; something prepared, that is, any apparatus (as an implement, utensil, dress, vessel or weapon): - armour ([-bearer]), artillery, bag, carriage, + furnish, furniture, instrument, jewel, that is made of, X one from another, that which pertaineth, pot, + psaltery, sack, stuff, thing, tool, vessel, ware, weapon, + whatsoever

Total KJV Occurrences:

Quoted Text
vessels,132 instruments,37 vessel,34 jewels,21 armourbearer,18 weapons,17 stuff,14 thing,11 armour,10 furniture,7 weapon,4 whatsoever,3 bag,2 carriage,2 instrument,2 artillery,1 carriages,1 furnish,1 jewel,1 made,1 one,1 pot,1 psalteries,1 psaltery,1 tool,1 wares,1

No place else in Scripture is this word used to mean clothing.
Again, if Yahweh meant this part of the verse to mean women wearing pants, why didn’t He use the word He used in the 2nd half of the verse?

H8071
śimlâh
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
wrapper, mantle, covering garment, garments, clothes, raiment, a cloth

STRONGS:

Quoted Text
Perhaps by permutation for the feminine of H5566 (through the idea of a cover assuming the shape of the object beneath); a dress, especially a mantle: - apparel, cloth (-es, -ing), garment, raiment

Let’s look at the next underlined word:

H1397
geber
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
man, strong man, warrior (emphasizing strength or ability to fight)

STRONGS:

Quoted Text
From H1396; properly a valiant man or warrior; generally a person simply: - every one, man, X mighty.

This word does not imply man in general terms, but a warrior. If it were meant to mean man in general wouldn’t Yahweh have used:

H376
'îysh
BDB Definition:

Quoted Text
1) man
1a) man, male (in contrast to woman, female)

So with a word study of this verse, it would be more correctly interpreted as:

Woman shall not be/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of a warrior/valiant man
neither shall a warrior/valiant man put on a woman’s garment,
for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim.

I believe this whole verse is a command to men, and is wrongly translated and used as a command to how women dress.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:11:36 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Walt in my opinion you are correct - I think we actually looked at this a while ago too, in regards to dress code, but yes we came out with what you did :D so I hope that's confirmation for you :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline RidesWithYah  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:29:54 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I've always considered this a prohibition against cross-dressing,
not a dress code.

Women in jeans are probably fine.
Men in kilts? Well, I don't have the legs to pull it off, but probably not taboo.

Now, men dressed as Cher? over the line...
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:02:07 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

RidesWithYah wrote:
I've always considered this a prohibition against cross-dressing,
not a dress code.

Women in jeans are probably fine.
Men in kilts? Well, I don't have the legs to pull it off, but probably not taboo.

Now, men dressed as Cher? over the line...

Would that mean Cher dressing as Cher is not over the line? ;-)
Offline Theophilus  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:06:47 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Walt I'm pretty sure that KP wrote on this passage in TOM or WMM. If I have time I'll see what I can dig out on this if no one can find it first.

I was just thinking on this and wondered about the contrast between warrior and women. Could it be that disguising warriors as women / non-combatants is in view? Anther possibility that occurs to me is in recognizing geneder roles.
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:53:38 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Theophilus wrote:
Walt I'm pretty sure that KP wrote on this passage in TOM or WMM. If I have time I'll see what I can dig out on this if no one can find it first.

I was just thinking on this and wondered about the contrast between warrior and women. Could it be that disguising warriors as women / non-combatants is in view? Anther possibility that occurs to me is in recognizing geneder roles.

http://theownersmanual.n...l_09_A_Holy_People.Torah

kp wrote:
365)A man shall not wear women’s clothing. “A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to Yahweh your God.” (Deuteronomy 22:5) Now you know why Satan works so hard trying to blur the gender lines in our society: its because Yahweh, who created the sexes, likes to keep them separate and distinct. The question we should be asking ourselves is “Why?” Why is Yahweh so intent on preserving the family? Why does He want men to look like men, women to look like women, and marriages between them to last for a lifetime, fruitful and secure? It’s because the human family is designed to be a picture of Yahweh and how He relates to us. Yahweh our “Father” is our provider, our strong protector, the ultimate authority. The more intimate, tender, and personal side of God’s revelation to us comes through the Holy Spirit—Ruach Qodesh in Hebrew, a feminine term in that language. Yes, God’s Spirit is quite literally our Heavenly Mother. And as anyone who grew up close to a brother or sister can attest, there is a special bond between siblings—a oneness that can’t be achieved with a parent, no matter how warm the relationship. So Yahweh also manifested Himself as the “Son,” God existing in the form of a man—whose brothers and sisters we are if we have been adopted into the family of God. The family, then, is a metaphor for Yahweh’s self-expression on our behalf. He created us, in fact, to reflect that expression in who and what we were: men and women whose lifelong love brings children into being—families.

So from Satan’s point of view, one of the best ways to destroy this picture is to confuse the roles of the family members. He encourages men to be effeminate, women authoritative, and children rebellious. Step number one in achieving his goal of the breakdown of the family is to make men and women look the same, and the easiest way to achieve that is with clothing.

(366)A woman should not wear men’s clothing. “A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to Yahweh your God.” (Deuteronomy 22:5) What, exactly, are “women’s clothes” or “men’s clothes”? Since modes of dress are regional, and since fashion norms shift with time, the answers defy any hard and fast definition (which is probably why Yahweh worded His Torah so carefully). I’ve got no problem with ladies in pants, for the simple reason that most women still look unmistakably like women dressed that way. As with so many of these instructions, I’d have to say that intent is the key. We shouldn’t be trying to look like the opposite sex, or trying to disguise what we are by adopting an androgynous look. Men should look like men, and women, women, in the context of their own regional customs.
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:05:02 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
http://www.thewaytoyahuw.../1_corinthians#chapter11

Swalchy - 1 Corinthians 11:14 wrote:
Does not even the very nature and actual ordering, form and development of things teach, instruct and explain to all of you that indeed, truly and surely, concerning this, if a man or a male may have long flowing hair, it is and exists as dishonourable and disgraceful, shameful and disrespectful, but nevertheless, if or whether a woman and a female may have long flowing hair, it is and exists as her glory and splendour, magnificence and excellence, pre-eminence and dignity, brightness, grace and majesty, for concerning this, the long flowing hair has been given and granted, supplied and furnished, bestowed and delivered, committed and permitted, extended and presented in place of and on behalf of, for the sake of and on account of a covering?

Swalchy seems to know a lot about Corithian culture. I think they were steeped in homosexuality, men trying to be women and women trying to be men. It also has to do with pagan temple customs and prostitutes.
Offline Walt  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:32:33 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

It looks like KP just took it as it was translated and didn't research the meanings in typical YY amplified form.

He seems to accept that it means women shouldn't wear pants type meaning, just not as stringent.
Offline kp  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:42:45 PM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
It looks like KP just took it as it was translated and didn't research the meanings in typical YY amplified form.

Correct. I seldom take more than a passing glance at the structure of a passage unless it seems to contradict the bulk of scriptural revelation. And this one is perfectly consistent with other Torah passages in that it forbids men and women usurping each others' roles---for the reasons I stated in TOM. But don't put words in my mouth: I didn't say, nor do I believe, that women shouldn't wear pants---unless, of course, her reason for doing so is to pass herself off as a man for the purpose of assuming a man's role in society. The precept has, as you guys have noted, next to nothing to do with clothing per se, and everything to do with fulfilling Yahweh's symbolic order. If you can imagine the Ruach Qodesh seizing power and authority from Yahweh, or placing Herself in competition with Yahshua, then you can envision the kind of thing this precept is forbidding.

kp
Offline Walt  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:41:15 PM(UTC)
Walt
Man

kp wrote:
Correct. I seldom take more than a passing glance at the structure of a passage unless it seems to contradict the bulk of scriptural revelation. And this one is perfectly consistent with other Torah passages in that it forbids men and women usurping each others' roles---for the reasons I stated in TOM. But don't put words in my mouth: I didn't say, nor do I believe, that women shouldn't wear pants---unless, of course, her reason for doing so is to pass herself off as a man for the purpose of assuming a man's role in society. The precept has, as you guys have noted, next to nothing to do with clothing per se, and everything to do with fulfilling Yahweh's symbolic order. If you can imagine the Ruach Qodesh seizing power and authority from Yahweh, or placing Herself in competition with Yahshua, then you can envision the kind of thing this precept is forbidding.

kp

What I see that makes a difference is that the word translated wear, as pertaining to women, is incorrectly translated

I agree with the role concept of this verse, and I think the interpretation I've deduced strengthens it

I'm sorry if it seemed I implied that you thought women shouldn't wear pants, I wasn't - just meaning that you took it to mean what a women is wearing, and people will carry that to different levels

From my study and conclusion, people couldn't twist it to imply that women wearing pants is unGodly

I was more just wanting to see if someone had yet examined this verse from the oldest manuscripts and amplified it in YY form

At my view, every verse in the bible is suspect
Offline James  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:52:58 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
So in conclusion, the woman shouldn't wear the pants in the family.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:00:05 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Walt wrote:

I was more just wanting to see if someone had yet examined this verse from the oldest manuscripts and amplified it in YY form

According to the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible the only difference is the form of the word garment after woman's in the verse. It doesn't say what the form is, so it might be that some have it as plural and some as singular, or something like that, but it don't seem to change the context much.

Offline Walt  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:12:12 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

James wrote:
According to the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible the only difference is the form of the word garment after woman's in the verse. It doesn't say what the form is, so it might be that some have it as plural and some as singular, or something like that, but it don't seem to change the context much.

See, that's part of the issue - in using the dictionaries available - that word isn't "garment"
Garment is used later in the verse - and it's a different word

The word associated with women is mostly translated as jewel, vessel, instrument, weapon, Armour, furniture.

So she's not wearing it
It's not a garment
Offline James  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:18:31 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Here is an amplification I did.

The implements(kiy - useful object, cloths, weapons, gear, equipment, a thing or article of many general shapes or sizes and materials) of man (geber – male of the human species) shall not exist (hayah) upon the women and wives, and not be dressed (lebush – be clothed, have a covering over the body, or a part of the body) a man (geber – male of the human species) in a woman or wives mantel (simlah - clothing, garment, i.e., one’s attire generally, cloak, wrapper, mantle, i.e., an outer garment which could be worn, and used as a blanket, especially a large outer garment), indeed (kiy - surely, truly, i.e., a marker of emphasis and strengthening a statement, because) it is a detestable thing (toebah – an abomination, repulsion, i.e., an object which is loathsome and abhorrent, a repugnant thing), to Yahuweh your God, all (kol) that make form or fashion (ashah – do, perform or cause to occur) these things.

Offline Walt  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:13:06 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

James wrote:
Here is an amplification I did.

The implements(kiy - useful object, cloths, weapons, gear, equipment, a thing or article of many general shapes or sizes and materials) of man (geber – male of the human species) shall not exist (hayah) upon the women and wives, and not be dressed (lebush – be clothed, have a covering over the body, or a part of the body) a man (geber – male of the human species) in a woman or wives mantel (simlah - clothing, garment, i.e., one’s attire generally, cloak, wrapper, mantle, i.e., an outer garment which could be worn, and used as a blanket, especially a large outer garment), indeed (kiy - surely, truly, i.e., a marker of emphasis and strengthening a statement, because) it is a detestable thing (toebah – an abomination, repulsion, i.e., an object which is loathsome and abhorrent, a repugnant thing), to Yahuweh your God, all (kol) that make form or fashion (ashah – do, perform or cause to occur) these things.

Thanks James

Very interesting

I hadn't considered word order - it makes a difference it what is being said.

If women is 1st - then they shouldn't hayah as a thing of man
If thing of man comes before women, then it shouldn't hayah with women

Word order total changes the meaning
Offline edStueart  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 3:18:38 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Just to be safe, I am not wearing pants as I type this.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Bridget  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 3:24:21 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I hope we are not forbidden.

I love my jeans.

:D

and LOL at ed..put your pants on!!!
Offline bitnet  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 30, 2009 5:37:47 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

It is an interesting discussion, and now I have images of ed not wearing pants... and if he isn't, is his wife wearing his pants? Not that it matters, because we definitely can distinguish between male and female if we are not wearing garments... well, most of the time anyway.

Reminds me of why Mongolian wrestlers dress in a funny costume that bares their torso. Women are barred from participating in Mongolian wrestling but it seems that a woman took part in a competition and won, putting the men to shame. So they changed the rules to ensure that women could not "become" men without exposing themselves. Something about this also applied to the ancient Greek Olympics, which was why men were nude. But that's another long story you can Wiki later.

It really isn't about your Levi's or Dockers, Guess or D&G, but a grab at power. Hence the expression, "Who wears the pants in your family?" By blurring these gender lines, we break down the family. On the obverse, by sharpening these lines, men subjugate women! Sigh! It really isn't all about clothes but about how we organise ourselves and the respect we have for each other's roles.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Juski  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:00:49 AM(UTC)
Juski

I did a double take when I read this thread title - I take it you mean trousers not underwear?! LOL

How does this fit in with the lovely mohammed dressing as a woman?
Offline James  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:38:45 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Juski wrote:

How does this fit in with the lovely mohammed dressing as a woman?

Well you know, Allah always gave Mo the special treatment, got to marry all the wives he liked, got booty with out going to war, didn't have to die in Allah's cause etc, damn double standards gotta love 'em.

Offline lassie1865  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:49:49 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Perhaps too, it would refer to not having women bear weapons and to to war?

Offline Theophilus  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:50:42 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

lassie1865 wrote:
Perhaps too, it would refer to not having women bear weapons and to to war?

Lassie1865,

That was part of my thinking also. While I'm sure that women are able to fight, my reading of the verse made me think of this as an instruction against women as warriors also.

Respectfully,

-Theophilus
Offline bitnet  
#23 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 2:57:52 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shabbat Shalom,

This makes it more interesting and adds another facet to our understanding... not taking lives because women are supposed to give birth and nurture a la our spiritual mother Ruach Qodesh. Then again, would Yahweh not want women to fight if it really is in self defence? Would He expect women not to bear arms when they and their families are being raped and slaughtered? And would it be wrong if women are wearing women's clothes when they fight? Technicalities, some of us may say, but this needs some thinking.
Offline TRUTH B-TOLD  
#24 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 5:08:01 AM(UTC)
TRUTH B-TOLD
Man

Shalom friends,

Very interesting verse and the different things that have been said about it. I usually try to fit scripture to the way it would pertain to the world today. Lets look at the women as either the bride of Yahshua or the whore of Babylon and the valiant man as Yahshua or saved man. In doing so I believe that the whore of Babylon and the saved man is in view here.

"Woman shall not be/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of a warrior/valiant man neither shall a warrior/valiant man put on a woman’s garment,for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim."

"The whore of Babylon (false religions) shall not/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of the saved man, neither shall a saved man put on a whores garent (false covering of sin), for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim."

I believe this passage is a warning about the false religions of the world and thinking you can cover yourself with their salvation plans which mainly center themselves around the works that they do. Just another perspective.

Offline Walt  
#25 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 6:48:11 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

TRUTH B-TOLD wrote:
Shalom friends,

Very interesting verse and the different things that have been said about it. I usually try to fit scripture to the way it would pertain to the world today. Lets look at the women as either the bride of Yahshua or the whore of Babylon and the valiant man as Yahshua or saved man. In doing so I believe that the whore of Babylon and the saved man is in view here.

"Woman shall not be/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of a warrior/valiant man neither shall a warrior/valiant man put on a woman’s garment,for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim."

"The whore of Babylon (false religions) shall not/become a vessel/tool/thing/instrument/weapon of the saved man, neither shall a saved man put on a whores garent (false covering of sin), for whoever does this is an abomination to Yahweh your Elohim."

I believe this passage is a warning about the false religions of the world and thinking you can cover yourself with their salvation plans which mainly center themselves around the works that they do. Just another perspective.

I think this is an awesome perspective

Adds another dimension to the meaning
Offline Theophilus  
#26 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 7:16:28 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

bitnet wrote:
Shabbat Shalom,

This makes it more interesting and adds another facet to our understanding... not taking lives because women are supposed to give birth and nurture a la our spiritual mother Ruach Qodesh. Then again, would Yahweh not want women to fight if it really is in self defence? Would He expect women not to bear arms when they and their families are being raped and slaughtered? And would it be wrong if women are wearing women's clothes when they fight? Technicalities, some of us may say, but this needs some thinking.

Interesting questions you raise Bitnet,

While I can see the verse speaking of women not dressing as nor serving as warriors, that would seem to be a different matter entirely from fighting to defend her person in self defense. I would hope that a woman under attack would:

1) sound the alarm to alert all around her of her / their plight and
2) defend or escape her attacker with force of arms or any other means at her disposal.

What I'm suggesting is that prehaps the passage is indicating that these measures do not require her to wear armor, sheild and martial weapons in the form of a community militia as might be expected of the warriors / citizen soldiers in her community. If the fellows who are depended upon to defend her community opt instead for the Corporeal Klinger fashion route, their community is in peril, no?

-Theophilus
Offline kp  
#27 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 3:54:06 PM(UTC)
kp

All she really needs is a healthy respect for Yahweh and a tent peg. Judges 4:21

kp
Offline edStueart  
#28 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 1:27:13 PM(UTC)
edStueart

kp wrote:
Judges 4:21

Possibly my favorite Bible story...

Oooh Raah!
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline bitnet  
#29 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:22:50 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

ed, I know of your background so I can understand your interest in Judges, but I had KP "pegged" as a pacifist... Hahahaha!
Offline annahuds09  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:36:20 PM(UTC)
annahuds09

I do think that wearing dresses or skirts for women is better because God is pro having clear delineation

between males and females.
Offline Greatest I am  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:30:14 AM(UTC)
Greatest I am

To think that a God would give a hoot about how we clothe ourselves is bordering on silliness.

I admit that he may have something to say about how we unclothe ourselves but that would be for safety, not modesty.

Regards
DL
Offline Greatest I am  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:33:04 AM(UTC)
Greatest I am

annahuds09 wrote:
I do think that wearing dresses or skirts for women is better because God is pro having clear delineation

between males and females.

You mean he would have a hard time delineating without clothes as a guide?

LOL.

If so then he should not create men that look like women or women that look like men.

Regards
DL
Offline James  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:21:08 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Greatest I am wrote:
You mean he would have a hard time delineating without clothes as a guide?

LOL.

If so then he should not create men that look like women or women that look like men.

Regards
DL

I think you completely took what annahuds09 was saying out of context. She was not saying that Yah needs it to tell us apart, only that we should keep a distinction. Men and Women are different, we play different roles, and we should take pride in our differences.

Offline Greatest I am  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:48:34 AM(UTC)
Greatest I am

James wrote:
I think you completely took what annahuds09 was saying out of context. She was not saying that Yah needs it to tell us apart, only that we should keep a distinction. Men and Women are different, we play different roles, and we should take pride in our differences.

I have no problem with taking pride in the wonderful differences between the sexes and I think that both men and women do but think that to institutionalize customs and fashion is wrong.

In my own country of Canada where there are no such rules, all was well till the overzealous Muslim types started killing their daughters for going by Canadian customs.

That and the so called rape laws of Afghanistan is what comes from institutionalizing customs into law.

Our laws say that women can go without tops or bra's. Almost none do.

Both men and women here know what is acceptable or not without laws telling us what to do.

Regards
DL

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a
restaurant operated by a fellow cannibal.
Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down and looked over the
menu...

Tourist: $5.00
Broiled Missionary: $7.00
Fried Explorer: $9.00
Freshly Baked: Conservatives, Liberals, Parti Québécois, New
Democratic or Green Party: $10.00
Buddhist $ 9.00
Literalist or Fundamentalist: $ 150.00

The cannibal called the waiter over and asked,
'Why such a huge price difference for the Literalist or Fundamentalist: ?'

The cook replied,