logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JRW  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:18:43 PM(UTC)
JRW
Man

Hi everyone, I don't ever post on here but I do enjoy frequenting the YY forum to see what everyone has to say about things. I guess I'm just shy or never feel like I have anything to add. I am curious however to see what everyone thinks is the best approach to learning Hebrew as it was written in the Torah/Prophets/Psalms. Would it be better to teach myself as best I can with the best resources I can find and by conversing with the people here as a way to avoid possible biases that may exist in standard Biblical Hebrew courses? Or would a regular course be the way to go? I have been considering taking an online course such as the ones offered at www.classicalhebrew.com but I am curious to see what the people on the YY forum think.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:13:08 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi :D

Everyone has something to add :)

Here is I site I started on and it was pretty good. I should really carry it on lol

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:59:38 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Welcome to the forum JRW, good to have you on board.

As for me I haven't touched on learning Hebrew as a language so I've got no decent answers for you. I think it would be great to learn ancient Hebrew as a language but how many people actually speak the language and know it very well I don't know. Plus Yada and KP have demonstrated that having a good selection of dictionaries and access to the oldest manuscripts are all one really needs to understand ancient Hebrew. But yes, to be in a position of actually speaking the language would be really cool.

A number of Messianic sites teach Hebrew words as opposed to the language itself, for example Emet Ministries has a course called Emet Yeshiva, all material is free, and in it they provide Hebrew definitions of words as you read along. Another is hebrew4christians. But be careful when learning in this format because a number teach errant doctrines/interpretations while using it as a means to teach Hebrew.

For Brazilian Portuguese (because I'm a foreigner living in Brazil) I use a program made by Pimsleur. Although it doesn't give you a deep knowledge of the language, espcially grammar, it does however get you talking, and once you can talk through basic conversations you can progress from there on your own. I know Pimsleur does Hebrew but I'm not sure about Ancient Hebrew, they talk of Classical Hebrew but I'm not sure if this is the same Hebrew Moses and David spoke, the Hebrew one finds in the Dead Sea Scrolls. They use a technique like a child would learn a language, from repetition through hearing it and speaking what you hear, they also let you see a handful of words at the end of the lesson to show you what they look like. They say you should learn to speak a language first before learning the grammar.
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 6:19:55 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I've recently started learning Scriptural Hebrew. I've found it fairly easy, I started with a couple of Beginning Hebrew book, just to learn the pronunciation and letters. so all I did really was learn to recognize the letters and sound out words, not focusing on word meanings at first. After I got pretty good at pronouncing the words, and recognizing them, I just started translating using Logos. I've found that a lot of words are used repeatedly, especially the important ones, and so I've learned there meaning by translating them, rather than going by the simple meaning given by the learn Hebrew books. I'm liking this approach in that I'm learning the expanded meanings of the words, and not simple ones, and it's been relatively easily. But this is just for me, I'm sure others will find ways that work for them.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Marcus  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:14:01 AM(UTC)
Marcus

I found the http://www.hebrew4christians.com site helpful in the grammar and very basic terms.
Offline JRW  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 9:28:35 AM(UTC)
JRW
Man

Thanks for the advice everyone and thanks for the welcome. I have looked on the sites mentioned and they indeed have a good amount of useful information, but can also be misleading in my opinion. For example, here is a quote from www.Hebrew4Christians.com: "Note that Yahweh is most likely also an incorrect transliteration, since there is no "w" sound in Hebrew." No W sound? The ignorance! Of course no 1 source is going to be completely reliable so with all things it is to be expected to have to sift through and differentiate facts from falsehoods and sites like that are no exception to the rule. That is not to say that everything on a site like that is a lie because that is definitely not the case. Like I said, there is a good amount of useful information but how to you separate what is true from what is inaccurate?

I have decided to take the first course at www.classicalhebrew.com as I feel it is the most efficient way to come to a greater understanding of the Hebrew language as it was written in the Scriptures. Which means of course that I will continue to do research myself as well as learn formally with a teacher. Best of both worlds :) The course is also taught by Israeli scholars and I got a kind of a special feeling about being tutored by someone living in the regathered Yisrael. True interpretation of Scripture aside, who would be more qualified to teach just the language itself?

Anyways, thanks for the replies everyone, it is much appreciated :)